Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife sharpening

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Knife sharpening
on: September 06, 2008, 09:50:29 PM
Can anyone recommend a good knife sharpener? I am not very good with stones and am really looking for something dummy proof.

Thanks

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Knife sharpening
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:59:37 PM
I don't own one (yet) but the Spyderco Sharpmaker is meant to be the best out there.
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 10:03:14 PM
Truely dummy proof you should get edge pro, but it's expensive as hell. Lansky sharpener use similar principal but much cheaper, even less than spyderco sharpmaker. That said I use sharpmaker and it works well.

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:25:23 PM
Thanks I will check it out

Roefisher

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 10:34:44 PM
The Spyderco Sharpmaker is a very good method. The angles are preset for you and all that is required is that you keep the knife straight - and don’t run the tip along the stone which can round it very quickly. The only shortfall with the Sharpmaker is that you aren’t sharpening the entire depth of the edge grind. What you’re doing is creating a secondary or micro bevel. Where this is not that great is that it your new edge wears away very quickly in use and you need to repeat the exercise regularly.

Other machines do sharpen over the entire edge grind and none is better than the Edgepro. If you’re uncertain of the blade angle, just use a marker and dummy run with a fine stone until you can see the full depth being removed in one sweep. Then it’s just a simple matter of making sure that the knife is held firm while you sharpen. There's a range of replacement stones from coarse to ultra fine and then polishing tapes if you wish to go down to a mirror finish.

If it’s a convex grind, the usual method is something soft but hard backed, like a mouse mat on your desk - and use various grades of sandpaper depending on the finish you want.

If it’s outdoors, and I realise that you’re not too fussed on free stones, I always liked the Fallkniven Ceramic Whetstones. They have reversible medium and fine grade surfaces and come in a leather pouch where I also keep little nails to hammer into wood, in order to keep the stone firm when in use. I prefer the larger DC4 model.

Mark

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 10:39:41 PM
Another vote for the Sharpmaker :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 12:35:51 AM
I plan on keep working with a stone its I just cant seem to get the angle right and it causes problems.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 12:41:57 AM
Common problem with stone is, at least is what I had, is cannot hold the blade in a consistant angle, even if you think you are. That and the angle held is too obtuse.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 03:37:36 AM
Can anyone recommend a good knife sharpener?

1. Chef's Choice  I have a model 320 I picked up at a flea market used- excellent piece of equipment, great edge, can't screw and edge with Chefs Choice.

2. Spyderco Sharpmaker  - good manual sharpener  comes with instructional DVD, very informative, easy to use.

3. Sharpening Made Easy all you need to know about sharpening in one easy click. I have "made" one of Steve's "paper sharpening" setups and it works like a champ . This book will answer all your questions AND covers all types of sharpening methods, machine, tips and tricks.

4. Using Paper Sharpening Wheels  - started using paper wheels 5 years ago and it's my favorite no frills method, quick, easy and safe.

5. Not bad for $160   add an accessory kit

AND

5. Tormek SuperGrind T7 + NEW T-3  One of these is at the top of my wish list - by the end of the year and a quick training trip across the pond  I'll have enough to buy  one. Tormex knife sharpening video

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 05:26:59 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 01:29:36 PM
The Tormek SuperGrind T7 is my main sharpening machine also, it gets used mainly for knives on multitools, hunting knives, a variety of pocket knives, and wood chisels.
For extreme sharpness i use the leather stropping wheel on the other side of the machine, and for a more durable edge i use the Spyderco Sharpmaker to put on a microbevel.

Convex edges i do on a slow turning, semi-hard rubber sanding pad fitted on a variomatic drill which is installed in an upright position on the edge of my workbench.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 01:48:17 AM
I don't have any sharping skills, but I can now sharpen my knives razor sharp thanks to the spyderco shapmaker.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 04:57:24 AM
I use a combination of the Sharpmaker and a Lansky system.

The Lansky is good for re-beveling and sharpening really dull blades; an area where the Sharpmaker lags behind. The Sharpmaker is really better for touch-ups and final honing than taking a really dull knife back to sharp.

There is an excellent tutorial over at EDCForums on the Lansky: Here

If you do end up getting a Lansky get the diamond hones, they're faster and give a sharper edge overall than the regular hones.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%