Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Police Need Multi Tool Training

Rico-2 · 129 · 21234

00 Offline Rico-2

Police Need Multi Tool Training
on: May 05, 2016, 03:16:11 AM
IMO police officers should get yearly specific multi tool training. In that training they should learn the following topics:

- Which multi tool to choose for their personal physical characteristics, tasks and missions, and why.
- Safe and effective carry and use of multi tools. Like using safety gloves, and cutting in a safe direction.
- What not to do with multi tools and why.
- Maintenance and repair of multi tools.
- How to improvise with multi tools in different police and rescue situations. In this training police officers should be motivated to think and act creatively using their multitool, to improve the efficacy and quality of their work in serving the public and reducing crime.
-  How multi tools can be used in different disaster scenes, like flood, tornado, snow storm, wild fire, civil unrest, explosion and chemical spill.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:57:53 AM by Rico-2 »

us Offline charlie fox

Re: Police Need Multi Tool Training
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 05:15:25 PM
With all the other required training, like defensive tactics, firearms use, arrest/search/seizure updates, criminal law updates, first aid recertifications, driving refreshers, computer and report updates, not to mention that pesky whole doing that job, writing the reports and court time...probably REALLY low on the list of the "To Do" list;)

Not being snarky, just realistic - I barely have time in my day to get the work assigned done.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 06:03:15 PM
Some don't even have time to do proper firearms/batons/gear use training/security/maintenance.

Not personal experience but that's what I hear from friends in different law enforcement branches(?).

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 09:18:44 PM
With all the other required training, like defensive tactics, firearms use, arrest/search/seizure updates, criminal law updates, first aid recertifications, driving refreshers, computer and report updates, not to mention that pesky whole doing that job, writing the reports and court time...probably REALLY low on the list of the "To Do" list;)

Not being snarky, just realistic - I barely have time in my day to get the work assigned done.

I fully understand your perspective. Police management should decide to shift priorities in this respect, without over loading personel. I suggest at least a three hour training session for each police novice. It will be worth the time and money, esp. in disaster.

For example learning to cut clothing to improvise an emergency bandage for an arterial bleeding. Or to saw branches in improvising stretchers and splints in a disaster scenario, etc.

Some officers are handy themselves, had boy scouts survival training, DIY, etc. But for other officers this multi tool training would be necessary IMO.   

It would also be positive, if some officers pick up the interest in multi tools as a hobby, and start reading rescue- and multi tool forums like this.

Police reports can be more concise, if you can show bodycam footage to the judge. Saves court time as well.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:22:59 PM by Rico-2 »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 09:31:11 PM
Some don't even have time to do proper firearms/batons/gear use training/security/maintenance.

Not personal experience but that's what I hear from friends in different law enforcement branches(?).
I know, but in case of a disaster, police officers are often first responders. And proper multi tool use can also make a difference in regular police work, saving time, money and lives.

So I hope that some police managers and politicians read and understand my plea, and somewhat shift priorities and budgets.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 09:37:22 PM
Related topics:

Have you had to use your rescue tool?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62170.0.html

Have You Ever Used Your Rescue Tool Under Pressure?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51686.0.html

Worst Situation Where Your Rescue Knife Has Act As Your Lifesaver

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,52425.0.html
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:32:57 PM by Rico-2 »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 12:03:26 AM
I just asked a buddy of mine that's a retired cop, and he said "If their too stupid to know how to use pliers and a knife, then they shouldn't be in the force." He also said there's no way in hell they'd ever put time or money towards training for it.

His words, not mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 12:25:43 AM
I just asked a buddy of mine that's a retired cop, and he said "If their too stupid to know how to use pliers and a knife, then they shouldn't be in the force." He also said there's no way in hell they'd ever put time or money towards training for it.

His words, not mine.

That reply illustrates that the disaster preparedness mindset of police organisations in many countries should be improved.   

I think disaster preparedness training should be part of police training, and multi tool training is just a small part of it.   

A Guide to Managing Stress in Crisis Response Professions

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content/SMA05-4113/SMA05-4113.pdf

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 01:21:02 AM

His words, not mine.

That reply illustrates that the disaster preparedness mindset of police organisations in many countries should be improved.   

I think disaster preparedness training should be part of police training, and multi tool training is just a small part of it.   

A Guide to Managing Stress in Crisis Response Professions

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content/SMA05-4113/SMA05-4113.pdf

I think you are missing the point.  Multitools do not require training.  If you can't understand how and when to use something so basic then you have bigger problems.  Also disaster drill are already a part of police work, I have been there and done that.

What is your interest in all this?

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 01:50:58 AM
I think you are missing the point. Multitools do not require training. If you can't understand how and when to use something so basic then you have bigger problems. Also disaster drills are already a part of police work, I have been there and done that.

Many people that I know (esp. women) are not able to safely, apply and maintain multi tools, even without the stress and time pressure of dying people around them in smoke and chaos. Disaster drills for police are not standard in all countries.

Multi tools can be used in countless ways to improvise solutions in disasters, rescue situations and other emergency incidents. For example one can saw off a very thin tree, to pull out a person who fell through the ice. Or replacing a broken door lock temporarily with a steel chain or rope, or just with screws, or setting up an improvised shelter for the rain, etc.   

In my experience, many police officers miss the mind set, motivation and skills to find out these creative solutions sufficiently.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 01:59:14 AM by Rico-2 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 07:40:46 AM
I think you are missing the point. Multitools do not require training. If you can't understand how and when to use something so basic then you have bigger problems. Also disaster drills are already a part of police work, I have been there and done that.

Many people that I know (esp. women) are not able to safely, apply and maintain multi tools, even without the stress and time pressure of dying people around them in smoke and chaos. Disaster drills for police are not standard in all countries.

Multi tools can be used in countless ways to improvise solutions in disasters, rescue situations and other emergency incidents. For example one can saw off a very thin tree, to pull out a person who fell through the ice. Or replacing a broken door lock temporarily with a steel chain or rope, or just with screws, or setting up an improvised shelter for the rain, etc.   

In my experience, many police officers miss the mind set, motivation and skills to find out these creative solutions sufficiently.

Care to share with us what you do?  You definitely have me interested as to what you are hoping to accomplish or develop ( training program, manual, etc ).   

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 08:28:48 AM

Care to share with us what you do?  You definitely have me interested as to what you are hoping to accomplish or develop ( training program, manual, etc ).

I'm sorry. I prefer not.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 03:34:06 AM

I'm sorry. I prefer not.

Respected. 
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 12:05:39 AM
While I agree with others here that there's plenty of other training that I should want to see prioritised before multitool use I can still see what you mean Rico-2. Most people who has found their way here will be fairly in touch with what they can rely on their multitools for. "Out there" in the world there is a whole other group that either abuses their tools to death for not understanding their limitations or underestimates them to the point where they wont carry them.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 05:47:43 AM

His words, not mine.

Can his bright 20 year old granddaughter safely use and maintain a Leatherman Wave? What if she applies for police officer? If another hurricane Katrina would happen in her first years as a cop, she may be first responder, while the army and FEMA need days to deploy. 

Could she save lives and property with her multi-tool by creative improvisation, technical insight and disaster knowledge, without any multi-tool training? Could she do miracles in an apocalyptic scenario?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina#Mississippi
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:55:18 AM by Rico-2 »

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 11:01:41 AM
I'm with others, police training in multi-tool use isn't pointless but it probably ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Out of curiosity, Rico-2, what existing multi-tools do you think could be useful in emergency settings such as the ones you describe?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 11:48:40 AM

His words, not mine.

Can his bright 20 year old granddaughter safely use and maintain a Leatherman Wave? What if she applies for police officer? If another hurricane Katrina would happen in her first years as a cop, she may be first responder, while the army and FEMA need days to deploy. 

Could she save lives and property with her multi-tool by creative improvisation, technical insight and disaster knowledge, without any multi-tool training? Could she do miracles in an apocalyptic scenario?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina#Mississippi
His oldest son is an EMT and is currently in Fort Mac as a first responder helping the fire victims.

All civilians that are in the camp he's in have been evacuated, and the first responders have to stay incase anyone else fleeing make it there.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 12:35:49 PM
I'm not sure you can teach inventiveness and inprovisation.  You can suggest they try different options, but in the end I think it is people's imaginations that limit the function of the tools.

I think inspiration is a more important factor than training when it comes to multitool use.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 12:45:52 PM
I'm not sure you can teach inventiveness and inprovisation.  You can suggest they try different options, but in the end I think it is people's imaginations that limit the function of the tools.

I think inspiration is a more important factor than training when it comes to multitool use.

Def
Good thing your signature is full, cause I completely agree with you here!

If someone can't naturally figure it out, than it will take WAY more than a few hours of training to embed the ideas in their heads.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 02:01:22 PM
Def

I'm with Derek's mate and Def and most of the other posters on this one:
  • Too many other things in a police training programme to cover
  • Does anyone really need training in how to use a multitool - I don't think so
  • Ingenuity, improvisation, guile, experience and practicality will be more useful in emergency/rescue situations - and these things typically are not taught

Maybe as part of a overall training programme, certain tools may be mentioned (eg breaking glass, removing clothing), but not explicilty with a multitool.
And training explicilty on MTs - Nah - Don't think so! 

Now if I was mountain rescue, search and rescue, a fireman etc certain skills and techniques need to be learnt eg ropework, cutting metal, hoisting/pulleys, safety techniques etc etc - But these are not for regular police on the beat. And again would not be specific to multitools.

All IMHO of course, as a civvy - but who does know a little about climbing and ropework  :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 02:12:17 PM

Def

If someone can't naturally figure it out, than it will take WAY more than a few hours of training to embed the ideas in their heads.

Too late.... you agreed with me long ago!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 02:17:18 PM

Def

Too late.... you agreed with me long ago!

Def
I think I was having an off day then!   :rofl:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 02:38:31 PM
Maybe they should issue a good guide on what every function is and how to use it. Not necessarily more than making sure they read the instructions. I've seen people who didn't "find" the wire stripper on the crunch (think it was an Amazon review) and the bit driver is pretty hidden as well. Same goes for the pin-hole on non-plus scales for Victorinox, the hole is there but people don't realise since the pin wasn't included. Some tools are just not very obvious.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 05:58:02 PM
what existing multi-tools do you think could be useful in emergency settings such as the ones you describe?

IMO each police officer should be given the choice to pick one multitool from a shortlist of five. Than he or she can choose according to personal body size, task and preference.

I am not shure which existing multitool would be preferable for permanent carry for police officers. Maybe a moderate priced brand with decent quality and bit-driver. Weighing between 2 and 7 ounce.

In every police vehicle can be two additional backup mutitools that are much heavier, with many tools included. They can be used in more complicated emergencies and in disaster scenarios.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:03:20 PM by Rico-2 »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 06:35:58 PM
Some female officers have not enough technical and survival skills I think. And some male officers tend to take too much risk I guess, like using their multitool without safety gloves, or not cutting in a safe direction.

In multi tool training police officers can also learn to sharpen the blade in the field, and to attach their multitool to their clothing with a lanyard, if it cannot easily be retained, if it would be dropped. And to clean and disinfect it with a cotton swab.

Officers should learn to inspect their multi tool for defects, like a worn out Philips driver of defect blade lock or sharp edges on the outside if folded. And how to prevent worn out screw drivers.

And officers should learn to safely unscrew nuts and bolts with their multitool, using safety gloves.

They should also be motivated to think creatively by showing them many creative uses of multitools. Like cutting rope from clothing or curtains.

And they should have basic knowledge of survival and rescue techniques in which multitools may be used.

Multi-tool training for police officers should be at least three hours once. And survival training and technical training for disaster help and rescue should be three hours yearly IMO. It costs time and money, but it may pay of in the long run.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:34:03 PM by Rico-2 »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 03:31:14 AM

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 04:37:00 AM
Lol. That's honestly what I did at the title. I can't even give my honest opinion on this its that ridiculous.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 06:41:39 AM
Some female officers have not enough technical and survival skills I think. And some male officers tend to take too much risk I guess, like using their multitool without safety gloves, or not cutting in a safe direction.

In multi tool training police officers can also learn to sharpen the blade in the field, and to attach their multitool to their clothing with a lanyard, if it cannot easily be retained, if it would be dropped. And to clean and disinfect it with a cotton swab.

Officers should learn to inspect their multi tool for defects, like a worn out Philips driver of defect blade lock or sharp edges on the outside if folded. And how to prevent worn out screw drivers.

And officers should learn to safely unscrew nuts and bolts with their multitool, using safety gloves.

They should also be motivated to think creatively by showing them many creative uses of multitools. Like cutting rope from clothing or curtains.

And they should have basic knowledge of survival and rescue techniques in which multitools may be used.

Multi-tool training for police officers should be at least three hours once. And survival training and technical training for disaster help and rescue should be three hours yearly IMO. It costs time and money, but it may pay of in the long run.

I want to be as respectful as possible.  I'm not being a jerk.  In no way am I wanting to come across as anything other than serious.

Are you messing with us?

I know you don't want to say what you do or why this particular interest/focus on LEO and multitools but now this. 

We are a bunch of good natured people and like to poke fun and bust each others nether region so it's all good. 

If you don't want to fess up then totally cool.  Again RESPECT. 

I had to ask.  I am sorry if you take this the wrong way. 

I'm not aware of police tightening and loosening screws so much so that they honestly require this training.  Fact is they rarely if ever shoot their guns however the training they receive in that regard is much more realistic and reasonable. 

Again if you are having a giggle then props.  If not then all due respect.   

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:44:56 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 07:07:02 AM
I'm not aware of police tightening and loosening screws so much so that they honestly require this training. Fact is they rarely if ever shoot their guns however the training they receive in that regard is much more realistic and reasonable.

I am serious. See my other messages. Police vehicles and boats do need repair now and then, at unexpected moments. Cars, bikes motorbikes, etc. And sometimes an officer can lend a hand to a stranded car driver with a small repair.

But most multitools are not the perfect tool to loosen a tight nut. So gloves are useful, and a little training in that action, esp. for some female officers. But this is just one of the many aspects of the multitiool training that is needed. Does your wife know how to sharpen a multitool properly? And how to use Philips screw bits without ruining the screws? Does her sister know? Do you know how to saw a branch without the saw getting stuck?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:16:15 AM by Rico-2 »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 07:13:12 AM
Are you messing with us?

I may be misunderstood now and then, because English is not my own language. So sometimes I might choose a wrong word. That may sound funny. But I try to learn from you guys. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%