Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Police Need Multi Tool Training

Rico-2 · 129 · 21296

00 Offline Rico-2

Re: Police Need Multi Tool Training
Reply #60 on: May 19, 2016, 08:00:08 AM
What if find interesting is are we talking a general training?  Not every country has the same rules for their police.  Heck not all officers carry the same gear let alone have the same protocols. 

Are we talking YOUR police officers or ALL police officers? 

I may be totally wrong but the police in Brasil for example have some protocols that lets say those in the UK may not have.  With that I'd imagine rural officers vs city officers would need different training.
I am talking all officers world-wide. They can get partly the same training and education, and partly training that is tuned into their specific region and function. Officers in for example bush-land in South Africa, have partly different needs and challenges than officers in the business district of London.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: May 19, 2016, 09:05:20 AM
Ok so general training, got it.  Well based off that then each country and each precinct would have to make the determination as to what MT would be best for their officers.  A city officer would not want nor need the same MT as a rural one. 

This could become very challenging trying to develop a "manual" that would address training for all officers.  It would be interesting for officers issued a Skeletool RX who worked in the country where a saw would see more use than a glass breaker.  A city officer might need a variety of tools where as a county officer might need less, or vice versa. 

Teaching how to use a MT for each country and each precinct would be quite a task.  No one tool would be best for ALL officers.  Basic how to use a plier or knife blade or drivers I know is not what you had in mind.

Training however would be very specific to what that officer encountered daily.  With all the city scapes worldwide I can only imagine the undertaking.  What about those officers stationed in snow, beach, remote, mountain, and any other locations?

I see now that specific job related training is what you are after.  Or is it?

I think the guys are thinking you are talking training as far as how to use a MT.  I see now that you are talking about very specific training.   

Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: May 19, 2016, 09:16:02 AM
I am talking all officers world-wide. They can get partly the same training and education, and partly training that is tuned into their specific region and function. Officers in for example bush-land in South Africa, have partly different needs and challenges than officers in the business district of London.
Not to mention different backgrounds.

In Switzerland the prerequisite for the Police Academy are as follows:
- Completed military training (only for the men)
- Completed apprenticeship in any field (In Switzerland that means 9 years
- There is more like absence of criminal record and stuff but that is irrelevant for the discussion.

Lets assume we have two recruits:
A) A Handyman grown up on a farm
B) A Book-vendor grown up downtown as the son of a Latin teacher and a theoretical physicist.
Any MT training that would benefit A would be way over the head of B, any training that would benefit B would be boring to A.

Personally I think A needs no training and B will learn it on the job as needed.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: May 19, 2016, 09:24:15 AM
 :salute:

Great point Ether.

With so many backgrounds of those entering law enforcement how would one set up training?  What would be covered?  Basic maybe too basic for some yet too advanced for someone with no tool experience ( like Ethers example ).     

I'd imagine not all officers get firearm training worldwide  :think:  Those coming out of the military will have had experience with firearms over those who come from say college ( I'm generalizing ).

Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: May 19, 2016, 10:28:42 AM

Great point Ether.

With so many backgrounds of those entering law enforcement how would one set up training?  What would be covered?  Basic maybe too basic for some yet too advanced for someone with no tool experience ( like Ethers example ).     

I'd imagine not all officers get firearm training worldwide  :think:  Those coming out of the military will have had experience with firearms over those who come from say college ( I'm generalizing ).

As you say, with firearms there is the same problem. Here, people without military background need to do an extra course, but there is only so many extra courses you can make.

The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that Police does not need MT training.
Policemen are like MTs! Not every one is suited for every job. And the more application you want for your MT for the more you need to compromise. The same goes for police officers. The more different things they learn the worse they are at each individual one. That is why police work is a team effort, people with different backgrounds bring their individual skills together.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #65 on: May 19, 2016, 01:09:43 PM
Ok so general training, got it.  Well based off that then each country and each precinct would have to make the determination as to what MT would be best for their officers.  A city officer would not want nor need the same MT as a rural one. 

This could become very challenging trying to develop a "manual" that would address training for all officers.  It would be interesting for officers issued a Skeletool RX who worked in the country where a saw would see more use than a glass breaker.  A city officer might need a variety of tools where as a county officer might need less, or vice versa. 

Teaching how to use a MT for each country and each precinct would be quite a task.  No one tool would be best for ALL officers.  Basic how to use a plier or knife blade or drivers I know is not what you had in mind.

Training however would be very specific to what that officer encountered daily.  With all the city scapes worldwide I can only imagine the undertaking.  What about those officers stationed in snow, beach, remote, mountain, and any other locations?

I see now that specific job related training is what you are after.  Or is it?

I think the guys are thinking you are talking training as far as how to use a MT.  I see now that you are talking about very specific training.   

General Training!

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #66 on: May 19, 2016, 02:34:50 PM
Like in most fields, as a "new" policeman/woman you will work with more experienced people.
If you are lucky/smart enough, they will show you the stuff you need to know or will help you gather experience.
Individual training, so to say, completely focused on the needs of the one receiving it*.
Well, that's how it worked in my 4 previous jobs ;-)

Tomcat

* in my case, often introduced by a quick side-glance of the more experienced one working with me, followed by a quick headshake and the realization of aforesaid that I still had to learn a certain point/the whole process, a quick "ahem, look, this is how it works", a short demonstration phase, followed by an "oh, thank you, that saved me a lot of time and errors, I owe you a cuppa coffe" and a shaky reproduction of the thing I learned.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:04:12 PM by Tomcat_81 »
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: May 19, 2016, 03:56:10 PM
I imagine riding with a seasoned officer would be best for rookies.  I wouldn't think they'd be let loose without learning the "ropes" in the field along side a veteran. 

So general training then, what shall these rookies be taught?  In the earlier posts it was mentioned that more specific training was needed.  Very specific training was required. 

As I began to give this more thought I can see unlike firearm or non lethal weapon training MT training falls into the handcuff training area.  How much selfdefense training do officers receive?  I'd think theyd need more along those lines.

Lastly, I told a story of loaning some tools to some officers a long while back.  They busted a hose and called it in and were waiting. 

I'd imagine this is pretty standard operating procedure.  I'd think they are not typically going to be wrenching around in their cars. 

Anyway, I handed them some tools and off they went.  They drove back to my vehicle thanking me and gave me the tools back. 

MT or not,  training or not, these guys clearly knew their way around cars.   
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #68 on: May 19, 2016, 04:27:04 PM
I imagine riding with a seasoned officer would be best for rookies.  I wouldn't think they'd be let loose without learning the "ropes" in the field along side a veteran. 

So general training then, what shall these rookies be taught?  In the earlier posts it was mentioned that more specific training was needed.  Very specific training was required. 

As I began to give this more thought I can see unlike firearm or non lethal weapon training MT training falls into the handcuff training area.  How much selfdefense training do officers receive?  I'd think theyd need more along those lines.

Lastly, I told a story of loaning some tools to some officers a long while back.  They busted a hose and called it in and were waiting. 

I'd imagine this is pretty standard operating procedure.  I'd think they are not typically going to be wrenching around in their cars. 

Anyway, I handed them some tools and off they went.  They drove back to my vehicle thanking me and gave me the tools back. 

MT or not,  training or not, these guys clearly knew their way around cars.

General Training!

Show content
Boy, he gets around a lot, doesn't he?...

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #69 on: May 22, 2016, 08:05:30 AM
So lets call it what it is.

Life Skill Training. How to use a knife. How to use a screw driver. Right tight, lefty loosey. Tieing a shoe. This is how we use duct tape. Balancing a checkbook. It isn't rude to pass on shaking hands right after sneezing; it is very rude to for a hand shake on someone no matter what but particularly with a paw full of snot.  Wipe your butt as needed and remember to flush and absolutely remember to wash  your hands afterwards.

Trust me, if your cops don't already know how to do this, you've got bigger problems than someone might need a stitch or two.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline flbeachbum

Reply #70 on: July 15, 2016, 04:32:00 AM
Ok, I know I'm new here and this thread is several weeks old, but it popped up at the top of the board for some reason. I read it a couple of hours ago and went on about my business but can't get it out of my mind. The more I think about it the more irritated I get so I'm going to say my peace and move on.

Rico, I have read three pages of this thread now and like others still have no idea what your real issue is. I have come to the conclusion though that you have a very low opinion of both women and law enforcement. I fall into both groups and am truly offended by some of your comments. You are entitled to your opinion no matter how misguided it is.

As someone else already stated, if you need training on how to use a multitool you are too stupid to be a LEO. In fact if you need training to use a multitool you are probably just too stupid to function effectively in life and will probably be in need of someone else's emergency training at some point in life. The ability to use a MT (or anything else) for purposes it wasn't obviously designed for involves problem solving and critical thinking skills. To a large extent these are skills that can't be taught. So MT training would largely be a waste of time and money, two things most law enforcement agencies are lacking.

The type of training you keep referring to is more military, search and rescue, or survival related. This is not the primary job of the police in most places.

Your opinion of women is very disturbing. Any woman who can use a kitchen knife can use a MT knife. I've never seen a woman struggle to open one. It's not hard. Perhaps if you have you should have done the gentlemanly thing and offered her some oil for it. The problem was most likely the tool, not her. In the US women who want to be police officers undergo the same training as the men do. I am going to assume it is the same in most developed countries. Obviously I am not physically as strong as most of my male coworkers. Law enforcement is not all about physical strength. It is best to prevent a situation that requires physical force whenever possible. Most women are much better at talking a situation down before it gets out of control than the average man. 

Law enforcement is a very demanding job both mentally and physically. I assure you it is not done by people who are challenged by the average multitool.

Where are you from? If the police where you live are really so incompetent that they would benefit from multi tool training, I would suggest you go to the powers that be and let them know that you would like your local police to be hired based on training and qualifications and NOT on the nepotism and bribery system.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #71 on: July 15, 2016, 04:50:53 AM
Ok, I know I'm new here and this thread is several weeks old, but it popped up at the top of the board for some reason. I read it a couple of hours ago and went on about my business but can't get it out of my mind. The more I think about it the more irritated I get so I'm going to say my peace and move on.

Rico, I have read three pages of this thread now and like others still have no idea what your real issue is. I have come to the conclusion though that you have a very low opinion of both women and law enforcement. I fall into both groups and am truly offended by some of your comments. You are entitled to your opinion no matter how misguided it is.

As someone else already stated, if you need training on how to use a multitool you are too stupid to be a LEO. In fact if you need training to use a multitool you are probably just too stupid to function effectively in life and will probably be in need of someone else's emergency training at some point in life. The ability to use a MT (or anything else) for purposes it wasn't obviously designed for involves problem solving and critical thinking skills. To a large extent these are skills that can't be taught. So MT training would largely be a waste of time and money, two things most law enforcement agencies are lacking.

The type of training you keep referring to is more military, search and rescue, or survival related. This is not the primary job of the police in most places.

Your opinion of women is very disturbing. Any woman who can use a kitchen knife can use a MT knife. I've never seen a woman struggle to open one. It's not hard. Perhaps if you have you should have done the gentlemanly thing and offered her some oil for it. The problem was most likely the tool, not her. In the US women who want to be police officers undergo the same training as the men do. I am going to assume it is the same in most developed countries. Obviously I am not physically as strong as most of my male coworkers. Law enforcement is not all about physical strength. It is best to prevent a situation that requires physical force whenever possible. Most women are much better at talking a situation down before it gets out of control than the average man. 

Law enforcement is a very demanding job both mentally and physically. I assure you it is not done by people who are challenged by the average multitool.

Where are you from? If the police where you live are really so incompetent that they would benefit from multi tool training, I would suggest you go to the powers that be and let them know that you would like your local police to be hired based on training and qualifications and NOT on the nepotism and bribery system.

Yes, but were they Asian women?  ;)

Getting real for a moment, Rico hasn't logged in since June 3rd. Unless he made a new account to go and start other, differently themed threads on questionable subjects (winkwinknudgenudgeknowwhatimean) it seems likely he's done with MTo.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #72 on: July 15, 2016, 06:29:41 AM

Welcome. Thanks for your honest reply and feedback. I am sorry you feel that way. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clear this up. I highly respect women as well as police officers. I didn't mean to offend you or anybody else. And if I am misguided, people like you can help me to widen my perspective. I learn from other people.

Your opinion of women is very disturbing. Any woman who can use a kitchen knife can use a MT knife. I've never seen a woman struggle to open one. It's not hard. Perhaps if you have you should have done the gentlemanly thing and offered her some oil for it. The problem was most likely the tool, not her. In the US women who want to be police officers undergo the same training as the men do.

Personally I would use warm petroleum jelly for lubrication of a multi-tool, since it is non-toxic. And a multitool can be used for cutting food.

Any person can use a paper clip, a walking stick, needle, rubber band, bandana, shower curtain, shoe laces, garbage bags and duct tape. Still many people could learn hundred unexpected ways to improvise with it in emergency situations. In my vision the same principle applies for multi-tools.

Subjective opinions may vary. Can we agree to disagree in mutual respect?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:38:58 AM by Rico-2 »

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: July 15, 2016, 06:45:15 AM
Respect  :clap:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline flbeachbum

Reply #74 on: July 15, 2016, 07:34:09 AM

Any person can use a paper clip, a walking stick, needle, rubber band, bandana, shower curtain, shoe laces, garbage bags and duct tape. Still many people could learn hundred unexpected ways to improvise with it in emergency situations. In my vision the same principle applies for multi-tools.

I agree with you 100% here. But there is no way to train for every possible scenario. Every situation is different. This goes back to my point about critical thinking and problem solving. Also the ability to think under pressure. Some people are able to do this, some are not. It is not necessarily a matter of intelligence. My mother is an incredibly intelligent woman but she would be the first to tell you she doesn't work well under pressure. No amount of training can significantly alter someone's personality and mental makeup.

Yes, if your making a genuine post and not just f'ing with people we can find mutual respect and agree to disagree. 

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #75 on: July 15, 2016, 08:03:07 AM
I agree with you 100% here. But there is no way to train for every possible scenario. Every situation is different. This goes back to my point about critical thinking and problem solving. Also the ability to think under pressure. Some people are able to do this, some are not. It is not necessarily a matter of intelligence. My mother is an incredibly intelligent woman but she would be the first to tell you she doesn't work well under pressure. No amount of training can significantly alter someone's personality and mental makeup.

Obviously people differ greatly in their innate capacities and personality. But personally I have learned a lot about improvising in emergency situations from watching numerous internet videos about that. And I have experienced, that that knowledge payed off in real life emergency situations. It has helped me in such circumstances to keep control over the situation, and even reduce my stress level. Your experiences may differ.

Yes, if your making a genuine post and not just f'ing with people we can find mutual respect and agree to disagree.

I appreciate that. Sometimes I may express myself unclear or stiff, since English is not my native language. That may contribute to misunderstanding about my intentions. If you want to estimate my sincerity and integrity, you can read my other posts on this forum via my profile, or send me a PM.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:05:14 AM by Rico-2 »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #76 on: July 15, 2016, 08:25:43 AM
Hi flbeachbum

Welcome to the forum and great post - Your comments and thinking are in line with most of us here
But it is really, really great to get a view from someone who, as you say, is in both groups and on the inside - Something we were lacking before.
This sums it up brilliantly....

Don't go looking for any more of Rico's crazy threads - you'll be even more perplexed (I chose that word carefully and somewhat inaccurately) !!

And keep up the great work you do - Thank you for that
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:17:15 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline flbeachbum

Reply #77 on: July 15, 2016, 10:15:27 AM
Hi flbeachbum

Welcome to the forum and great post - Your comments and thinking are in line with most of us here
But it is really, really great to get a view from someone who, as you say, is in both groups and on the inside - Something we were lacking before.
This sums it up brilliantly....

Don't go looking for any more of Rico's crazy threads - you'll be even more perplexed (I chose that word carefully and somewhat inaccurately) !!

And keep up the great work you do - Thank you for that

Thank you

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #78 on: July 15, 2016, 02:21:14 PM
Warm petroleum jelly? Do I even need to say it?  ::)

Not to mention if you want a food safe lubricant you can use mineral oil.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #79 on: July 15, 2016, 03:11:45 PM
Warm petroleum jelly? Do I even need to say it?  ::)

Not to mention if you want a food safe lubricant you can use mineral oil.

I'm not sure this is what WD was going to say but I'll say it: K-Y is your friend :tu:

I don't like vaseline, it has some uses but I don't like the stuff.

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #80 on: July 15, 2016, 06:35:30 PM
flbeachbum  :salute:

Be safe out there and thank you for the job you do. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #81 on: July 15, 2016, 06:46:40 PM
flbeachbum  :salute:

Be safe out there and thank you for the job you do.

What he said and also welcome to :MTO: flbeachbum :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #82 on: July 15, 2016, 09:21:09 PM
Warm petroleum jelly seems a bit of an odd choice for Multitool lubrication, but to each his own.   :D

Welcome to MTO flbeachbum!

us Offline flbeachbum

Reply #83 on: July 16, 2016, 02:52:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome and kind words guys. Much appreciated.

Just to be clear, I am currently a Corrections Officer at a state prison. That is "prison guard" for some of you.  I was a police officer for a couple of years. When I moved to FL I chose not to go through the police academy again for several reasons. I am still considered sworn law enforcement. Just don't want to give the impression I am pretending to be something I am not.

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!
Reply #84 on: July 16, 2016, 03:02:09 PM
Welcome mate! 

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #85 on: July 16, 2016, 04:07:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome and kind words guys. Much appreciated.

Just to be clear, I am currently a Corrections Officer at a state prison. That is "prison guard" for some of you.  I was a police officer for a couple of years. When I moved to FL I chose not to go through the police academy again for several reasons. I am still considered sworn law enforcement. Just don't want to give the impression I am pretending to be something I am not.

I had a brief stint as a Corrections Officer years ago, and it's not an easy job.  Much respect.   :salute:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #86 on: July 16, 2016, 05:08:50 PM
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 05:31:14 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #87 on: July 17, 2016, 05:14:03 AM
I have nothing to add to the subject, but I have to say, theres quite a lot of hostility towards Rico2 in this (and many other) thread. So he is a bit persistent, and single minded. So what? The single most positive thing about this forum is its friendliness, and inclusiveness.

I would strongly encourage everyone to step back a moment, and reflect on what Rico is doing, and has done. He has devoted quite a lot of time recently towards this forum, and if he had an ulterior motive, it would have certainly been revealed. There is no cause for suspicion or hostility, and frankly I strongly dislike some of the tones used in this thread. It is not the MT.o way.

If you find something insulting, please, do the decent thing and make a PM. If you disagree, do so, but leave the bad feelings out of it. Rico has done nothing to cause harm or malice. If you are truly tired of discussing law enforcement with him, do the right thing, and just ignore it, rather than post angry messages.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: July 17, 2016, 05:32:55 AM
I have nothing to add to the subject, but I have to say, theres quite a lot of hostility towards Rico2 in this (and many other) thread. So he is a bit persistent, and single minded. So what? The single most positive thing about this forum is its friendliness, and inclusiveness.

I would strongly encourage everyone to step back a moment, and reflect on what Rico is doing, and has done. He has devoted quite a lot of time recently towards this forum, and if he had an ulterior motive, it would have certainly been revealed. There is no cause for suspicion or hostility, and frankly I strongly dislike some of the tones used in this thread. It is not the MT.o way.

If you find something insulting, please, do the decent thing and make a PM. If you disagree, do so, but leave the bad feelings out of it. Rico has done nothing to cause harm or malice. If you are truly tired of discussing law enforcement with him, do the right thing, and just ignore it, rather than post angry messages.

You are correct sLaughtermed :salute: He has a different way of looking at things for sure but he does put a lot in his posts when he does post :tu: Not knowing where he is from doesn't help us understand his background and may even confuse a little bit but yes MTO is a place for all to be respected :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #89 on: July 17, 2016, 08:57:51 AM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%