Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Police Need Smaller Surge

Rico-2 · 146 · 11400

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Police Need Smaller Surge
Reply #120 on: April 13, 2018, 11:49:26 AM
Police-officers could also use the light-weight Leatherman Squirt PS4 mini-multi-tool, plus a separate, cheap, metal, L-shaped bit-driver. Plus a separate set of regular 1/4 inch screw-bits. These items can be carried together in one MOLLE-pouch on their duty-belt or MOLLE-vest. Depending on the situation, the bit-set and L-shaped bit-driver can be left in the patrol-vehicle to save weight.

Angled bit-driver (This one is very expensive, but they can be found for a few dollars.)
https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-DR-50-Twin-Wrench-Driver/dp/B001YHFQIY/?tag=toolguyd-20

Squirt PS4
https://www.leatherman.com/squirt-ps4-22.html
Out of curiosity, in what situation would they actually need that on person?
I mean having some tools in the car makes sense, although a chainsaw, hydraulic cutter, heavy pry-bar or axe will probably be higher on priority than a screwdriver.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #121 on: April 13, 2018, 12:47:01 PM

I mean having some tools in the car makes sense, although a chainsaw, hydraulic cutter, heavy pry-bar or axe will probably be higher on priority than a screwdriver.

For licence-plates, and for small repairs for stranded travellers, and after vandalism, burglary, and traffic-accidents. And for diverse odd situations. The police is to serve and protect.

The patrol-car is not always at your finger-tips, for example in a large industrial building, mall, train-station, office, school, or high residential appartment, on a ship, etc. And having the right tool immediately on hand, improves speed, to be available for an emergency-call.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:12:22 PM by Rico-2 »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: April 13, 2018, 01:38:29 PM
I think your police force seems to be ultra busy with alot of things. From pursuing criminals to being a handy-man but can't seems to be able to carry a common multitool. With all due respect, I think the individual officers can make the judgments on what they would want to carry on duty.  :cheers:

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #123 on: April 13, 2018, 02:23:22 PM
I think your police force seems to be ultra busy with alot of things. From pursuing criminals to being a handy-man but can't seems to be able to carry a common multitool. With all due respect, I think the individual officers can make the judgments on what they would want to carry on duty.  :cheers:

Sometimes a police-officer can fix a stranded car in three minutes. Or quickly repair a broken front-door-lock temporarily, etc.

Maintaining the trust of the public is crucial for the police, to fight crime and keep order. Well chosen tools can help, to reach that goal.

A light-weight multitool (like Skeletool, Squirt PS4 or PowerPint) on the body, plus a heavy multitool with many functions in the police-vehicle, plus a tool-box with regular full-size tools. That is my philosophy. I respect differing opinions.

The large multitool in the police-vehicle can be replaced by a very compact set of separate light-weight mini-tools, which can be cheaply replaced, if broken. That compact tool-set can be carried in a small pouch on the vest or belt, in special situations, like a large traffic-accident or fire.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #124 on: April 13, 2018, 04:55:57 PM

For licence-plates, and for small repairs for stranded travellers, and after vandalism, burglary, and traffic-accidents. And for diverse odd situations. The police is to serve and protect.

The patrol-car is not always at your finger-tips, for example in a large industrial building, mall, train-station, office, school, or high residential appartment, on a ship, etc. And having the right tool immediately on hand, improves speed, to be available for an emergency-call.
Never seen a policeman mess with the licence plate. None of these is within the duties of a police officer, nor necessarily within their skillset. And while a helping hand is nice, it is not the focus of police-work and often not desirable.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #125 on: April 13, 2018, 07:11:05 PM

Sometimes a police-officer can fix a stranded car in three minutes. Or quickly repair a broken front-door-lock temporarily, etc.

Maintaining the trust of the public is crucial for the police, to fight crime and keep order. Well chosen tools can help, to reach that goal.

A light-weight multitool (like Skeletool, Squirt PS4 or PowerPint) on the body, plus a heavy multitool with many functions in the police-vehicle, plus a tool-box with regular full-size tools. That is my philosophy. I respect differing opinions.

The large multitool in the police-vehicle can be replaced by a very compact set of separate light-weight mini-tools, which can be cheaply replaced, if broken. That compact tool-set can be carried in a small pouch on the vest or belt, in special situations, like a large traffic-accident or fire.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:...Nice one!  :hatsoff:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #126 on: April 13, 2018, 08:42:49 PM
Never seen a policeman mess with the licence plate. None of these is within the duties of a police officer, nor necessarily within their skillset.

Only somewhat related. I DID once have a police officer wait while I changed a burned out tail light, and then drive off without ticketing me for no tail light.

When I was in my early 20s, I got a $150 ticket for not having my license plate light working. Since then, I have carried spare lightbulbs for my lights in my glove box. Cheaper than a $150 ticket.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #127 on: April 16, 2018, 11:24:02 AM
Never seen a policeman mess with the licence plate. None of these is within the duties of a police officer, nor necessarily within their skillset.

Only somewhat related. I DID once have a police officer wait while I changed a burned out tail light, and then drive off without ticketing me for no tail light.

When I was in my early 20s, I got a $150 ticket for not having my license plate light working. Since then, I have carried spare lightbulbs for my lights in my glove box. Cheaper than a $150 ticket.
I once had the police block the road and put on warning lights... because a hedgehog was crossing the road :D

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #128 on: April 16, 2018, 11:31:27 AM
I once had the police block the road and put on warning lights... because a hedgehog was crossing the road :D
Many years ago a young lady crashed her car as she avoided a hedgehog on the road. Another motorist attended to her, did first aid and called an ambulance.
Show content
But not before running over the hedgehog.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #129 on: April 16, 2018, 11:37:57 AM

Did you really? Good man!

We've got a little tame three-legged hedgehog that lives in our garden... in a hedgehog house that I built, well made, built sounds a little weird... I'm not making this up!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #130 on: April 16, 2018, 11:49:06 AM
Many years ago a young lady crashed her car as she avoided a hedgehog on the road. Another motorist attended to her, did first aid and called an ambulance.
Show content
But not before running over the hedgehog.

Sorry Synco, I just noticed that... and, erm... going to ignore it...   :facepalm:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: April 16, 2018, 11:54:30 AM
Interesting thread on many levels.

Maybe the police should rather have a specialized multi-tool suited to their requirements whatever those might be? For instance, is a cap opener, can opener, tooth pick or tiny scissor really useful for police tasks? How about wood saws, awls and cork screws?

Should a scissor instead be sturdy enough to cut clothes or even boots if needed? Should the cutting pliers be more able than normal? Do they already carry a dedicated knife, and if so do they really need more blades? Would any gun maintenance tools make sense? Should all tools be accessible outside and/ or one hand opening? And weight and size would of course be very important.

I guess I'm all questions - maybe someone closer to their daily work has some opinions or answers?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #132 on: April 16, 2018, 01:54:35 PM

Did you really? Good man!

We've got a little tame three-legged hedgehog that lives in our garden... in a hedgehog house that I built, well made, built sounds a little weird... I'm not making this up!

(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #133 on: April 16, 2018, 03:16:10 PM

on this level the most

:D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:51:05 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #134 on: April 16, 2018, 04:56:11 PM
now, on Topic:
Rico, this is a December 2017 interview from Knives Illustrated (pages 78-79) with Mikhail Venikov, info on him below

Show content
the
professional MMA fighter, Mikhail
Venikov, under Team Alpha Male with
Urijah Faber. However, Mikhail’s story
of success and triumph began long
before he became a MMA fighter.
After high school, Mikhail attended
Airborne School and joined the 2nd
Ranger Battalion. Over the course of
four years, Mikhail was deployed three
times, with two tours to Iraq and one
to Afghanistan. When he finished his
service in 2006, he competed and won
first place in the Best Ranger competition.
During the competition, Mikhail
and his partner competed for 60
continuous hours, covered more than
60 miles, and performed numerous
tasks and challenges, all while running
on only a few hours of sleep

on his view of MTs on active duty:

Show content
WHAT KNIFE DID YOU
CARRY ON ACTIVE DUTY
AND WHY?

Most of us carried Leatherman MultiTools
because they can be used for a
variety of tasks. You can fi ght with it,
cut wood and wires, and use it to open
bottles and cans. Most multi-tools
have a screwdriver, wood and metal
fi le, ruler, pliers, wire stripper, and
a mini saw. I didn’t have to carry a
bunch of separate tools when I had
this with me.
The biggest use I had for it when I
was on active duty was to cut zip
ties. When we would hit the target
overseas, we would often use zip ties
to handcuff the insurgents. Since zip
ties are notoriously diffi cult to take
off , we’d use a specifi c cutter on the
multi-tool to remove them.

and more on MTs role

Show content
One of my buddies was doing an airborne
jump when his equipment got
tangled. He used a multi-tool to get
his parachute loose and release the
materials that were stuck. When we
jump out of airplanes, we have guns,
ammo, a rucksack, duty weapons,
tripods, and a lot of other things tied
to us. For safety purposes, we tie the
harness with a 550 cord, which is a
really durable and strong rope. The
only way to get that off is to either
have a quick-release knot or use a
multi-tool.
The multi-tool isn’t a required item
that we have to carry with us, but
most Rangers and Special Ops have
them.

his choice of multitool (with pictures on the magazine pages) is a LM Wave, first generation (non replaceable cutters, no bit driver)  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #135 on: April 16, 2018, 05:19:55 PM

on this level the most

:D

That is just too cute :cheers:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

00 Offline Rico-2

SOG PowerAccess
Reply #136 on: April 17, 2018, 01:51:50 AM
The SOG PowerAccess may be suitable for police-officers. It weighs just 5.9 oz., and has a magnetic 1/4 inch hex-bit driver.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71865.msg1469853.html#msg1469853

Specs: https://www.sogknives.com/type/multi-tools/poweraccess.html

Video:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:54:21 AM by Rico-2 »

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: SOG PowerAccess
Reply #137 on: April 17, 2018, 03:34:11 PM
The SOG PowerAccess may be suitable for police-officers. It weighs just 5.9 oz., and has a magnetic 1/4 inch hex-bit driver.

The police can have mine.. Although I doubt the suitable part. Last SOG for me for quite some time I think.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #138 on: April 17, 2018, 04:27:25 PM
I think the LM Rebar would be a great MT for a policeman or any other first responder.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #139 on: April 17, 2018, 05:12:37 PM
I think the LM Rebar would be a great MT for a policeman or any other first responder.

The Leatherman Rebar can be combined with the Leatherman Removable Bit Driver. https://www.leatherman.com/removable-bit-driver-126.html?dwvar_126_color=-1&cgid=accessories#start=1

The same applies for the Leatherman Original Juice S2 and Leatherman S2, which could also be useful for police-officers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 05:16:48 PM by Rico-2 »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #140 on: April 17, 2018, 05:15:49 PM
Anything would be better than nothing, at least if it's a proven tool, like a Rebar, a Wave, a Spirit, or even a SAK. Doesn't police in Italy get issued a special 111mm? I think a RescueTool with the addition of a woodsaw?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #141 on: April 17, 2018, 05:18:03 PM

The Leatherman Rebar can be combined with the Leatherman Removable Bit Driver. https://www.leatherman.com/removable-bit-driver-126.html?dwvar_126_color=-1&cgid=accessories#start=1

The same applies for the Leatherman Original Juice S2 and Leatherman S2, which could also be useful for police-officers.

Yes, there are many Multi tools that will work well for Police officers and other first responders. Just like regular folk it is up to the person to figure out what will work best for them. Depending on their location different LEO's will have different needs. A sheriff out in the country or mountains might want a different MT than say a city cop.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 05:21:56 PM by SteveC »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #142 on: April 28, 2018, 10:24:02 PM
I think to really answer the question we would also have to consider country and duty.

Anyway, asked my friend with the state police (Switzerland)
Here most common is the Vic Rescue Tool, Soldier '08 and '61. Some carry a Spirit. Also pretty common are some snips to cut zip-ties. Most commonly something on the smaller side from Knipex. Some use "nail-clipper style" snips used by fishermen due to the more compact design.
According to him, they rarely use tools (mostly the snips) and if they do, its usually something larger than a MT (prybar and chainsaw are their most used tools).

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #143 on: April 28, 2018, 11:11:05 PM
I don't know if police need a smaller Surge but I certainly do.  :drool:

00 Offline Rico-2

Foldable saw
Reply #144 on: April 28, 2018, 11:12:57 PM
Some use "nail-clipper style" snips used by fishermen due to the more compact design. According to him, they rarely use tools (mostly the snips) and if they do, its usually something larger than a MT (prybar and chainsaw are their most used tools).
Police-cars can carry a compact foldable tree-saw and a small rescue-axe, instead of a chain-saw.

I found out that nail-clippers are to soft for iron wire cutting.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:19:16 PM by Rico-2 »

00 Offline Rico-2

Police Flashlights
Reply #145 on: April 28, 2018, 11:15:39 PM
Forum-topic about police-flashlights:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,77020.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30