Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC SAK & FLASHLIGHT

parman53 · 1005 · 60617

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Re: EDC SAK & FLASHLIGHT
Reply #930 on: February 17, 2021, 02:35:29 PM
 :like: :cheers:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #931 on: February 17, 2021, 06:21:02 PM
Todays carry inspired by 111mm Wednesday. A Rucksack and Olight i3T EOS.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #932 on: February 17, 2021, 06:27:39 PM
 :salute: Nice sheath as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #933 on: February 17, 2021, 06:37:06 PM
:salute: Nice sheath as well.

Thanks Aloha! Sheath was made by yours truly. The only proper leather crafting tools I have are a few needles for stitching. Everything else I use is repurposed or made by me. The spacing is fork tines. The stitching is the strands from paracord. The burnish tool I made from a dowel I sanded down to match profiles and loaded up with bees wax.

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #934 on: February 17, 2021, 06:40:39 PM
Here it is the package all together

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #935 on: February 17, 2021, 10:27:49 PM
 :hatsoff: Very well done.  Looks like its quite handy as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #936 on: February 17, 2021, 11:56:44 PM
:hatsoff: Very well done.  Looks like its quite handy as well.

I wanted it to hold all the things I would need to start a fire and maintain the blade plus a light. I generally put the Olight in the pic or a Streamlight Microstream in the loop as they both have the double sided clip that allows for them to be mounted on a hat brim.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #937 on: February 18, 2021, 02:59:49 AM
My current SAK carry and edc light

us Offline Sos24

Reply #938 on: February 18, 2021, 03:00:21 AM
Here it is the package all together
Nice little carry and pouch

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #939 on: February 18, 2021, 10:32:52 AM
Nice little carry and pouch

Thanks Sos24!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #940 on: February 18, 2021, 11:31:23 AM
Being at home for pretty much a whole year now, I don't really need to carry things. Still, I like to feel I have something in my pockets, so I keep EDCing something. I went from the Executive + Nitecore Tube to the Midnite Manager + Nitecore Tube.

I discovered a Maglite Solitaire some time ago and tried using it. It works and it's more than enough for around the house needs. I saw some Youtube videos on upgrading it to LED and, until I do it, I'm going to use the smurf out of its light bulb.

So, in a pfrsantosshell nutshell, it's been my Midnite Manager + Maglite Solitaire.

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #941 on: February 18, 2021, 07:34:40 PM
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

ca Offline Jiggs

Reply #942 on: February 18, 2021, 08:49:38 PM
Top pic is my keychain carry around the house.  Streamlight Keymate, Kershaw Cinder and the Rambler.  Bottom pic is my edc if I venture anywhere else.  Leatherman Squirt, Olilight IE3 EOS,  Cadet and Nite Ize Tool all carried in an old Boker Sheath on my belt.
Collage 2021-02-18 14_44_26.jpg
* Collage 2021-02-18 14_44_26.jpg (Filesize: 212.66 KB)

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #943 on: February 18, 2021, 10:17:49 PM
The light that ended my search for lights: NITECORE TIP SE.

I don’t want a flame thrower that lets me see across a field. I need to see where I am walking.

I don’t want to blind an enemy. I would rather shoot them in the dark. Well, that’s not really true. I would rather stealthily elude capture and have a hot buttered rum back home safe and sound. Darkness, elusiveness and quiet soles always trump engagement with light.

I don’t need a strobe light for recreating Studio 54. My memories will do.

I don’t want to stick it to my car hood. I have a hand and a mouth.

I just want bright and dim without scrolling through a program.

I want to charge it without removing the battery.

I want it to have a red light when it needs a charge. I want it to indicate it’s charging.

I want it to turn green when it’s charged.

I don’t want it to take forever to charge.

I don’t want it to switch on in my pocket and burn my leg.

I want it not to wake up my wife in a motel room or cruise ship room, when I stagger to the head at 3am.

I want it not to break.

This light meets or exceeds all of my wants.

I love it.

I gave one to every family member.

Every human being on the planet needs one of these.

It allows me to keep my cellphone in a zip lock bag wrapped in two layers of aluminum foil until I need the NSA and Silicon Valley to know where I am, which I never do.

P.S.: The red SAK has my scissors. The Aqua SAK has my bottle opener with the tip filed thin enough to tighten the temples on my glasses. I like redundant tweezers and toothpicks. On trips, I hate splinters, loose strings and tooth aches with a passion. These two little SAKS mean I can survive at least awhile, if I get separated from my luggage.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 10:38:41 PM by SgtTowser »

au Offline Echotech

Reply #944 on: February 19, 2021, 03:57:16 AM
Been really happy with this set up after much trial and error - SAK Manager and Nitecore TIKI. Supplemented with a Nite-Ize Doohickey and a peanut lighter.

Usually carry a larger SAK, knife or MT too, but with this set up I feel I can get through a lot of scenarios even if I don’t

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #945 on: February 19, 2021, 05:50:21 PM

I don’t want a flame thrower that lets me see across a field. I need to see where I am walking.

I don’t want to blind an enemy. I would rather shoot them in the dark. Well, that’s not really true. I would rather stealthily elude capture and have a hot buttered rum back home safe and sound. Darkness, elusiveness and quiet soles always trump engagement with light.

I want it to have a red light when it needs a charge. I want it to indicate it’s charging.

I want it not to wake up my wife in a motel room or cruise ship room, when I stagger to the head at 3am.

I want it not to break.

I love it.

It allows me to keep my cellphone in a zip lock bag wrapped in two layers of aluminum foil until I need the NSA and Silicon Valley to know where I am, which I never do.

P.S.: The red SAK has my scissors. The Aqua SAK has my bottle opener with the tip filed thin enough to tighten the temples on my glasses. I like redundant tweezers and toothpicks. On trips, I hate splinters, loose strings and tooth aches with a passion. These two little SAKS mean I can survive at least awhile, if I get separated from my luggage.

Sounds nice.  :gimme: :gimme:

What are those two SAKs? Mods or regular models?

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Frailer

Reply #946 on: February 19, 2021, 06:54:03 PM
The light that ended my search for lights: NITECORE TIP SE...

I have friends that also swear by that light.

I was fortunate to find my own ideal light some years ago: the Streamlight Microstream. I, too, gave one to every family member, and I always keep a spare just in case it is discontinued.

It does everything I need it to do and nothing I don’t.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #947 on: February 20, 2021, 01:27:13 AM

I want it not to break.

I love it.

The Nitecore keychain line (Tip, Tiki, Tini, etc) have become very popular for all the reasons you mention.  The brightness they can put out definitely exceeds the old traditional of AAA or newer 10180.  I ended up going to a similar light for my keychain as back-up to my normal light, for similar reasons.  I still take a AAA flashlight with me traveling, because in an emergency where power is lost for possible extended time AAA batteries are so easy to scrounge.

Been really happy with this set up after much trial and error - SAK Manager and Nitecore TIKI. Supplemented with a Nite-Ize Doohickey and a peanut lighter.

Usually carry a larger SAK, knife or MT too, but with this set up I feel I can get through a lot of scenarios even if I don’t

(Image removed from quote.)

I tried the Tiki and RovyVon A8x at the same time after finding a really great sale on both.  I ended up liking thenA8x better because I could have both HiCri and red in the same light.

My Keychain SAK and Flashlight combo - Rambler and Rovyvon A8x.

au Offline Echotech

EDC SAK & FLASHLIGHT
Reply #948 on: February 20, 2021, 04:17:49 AM
The Nitecore keychain line (Tip, Tiki, Tini, etc) have become very popular for all the reasons you mention.  The brightness they can put out definitely exceeds the old traditional of AAA or newer 10180.  I ended up going to a similar light for my keychain as back-up to my normal light, for similar reasons.  I still take a AAA flashlight with me traveling, because in an emergency where power is lost for possible extended time AAA batteries are so easy to scrounge.

I tried the Tiki and RovyVon A8x at the same time after finding a really great sale on both.  I ended up liking thenA8x better because I could have both HiCri and red in the same light.

My Keychain SAK and Flashlight combo - Rambler and Rovyvon A8x.

I’m going to have to give the RovyVon a go Sos. I’ve had lots of Nitecores so suppose I’m biased towards them. I do like the lantern function a lot. The UV would be useful checking for bed bugs in a hotel but who gets to go to hotels anymore!

Nice scales on that rambler :like:

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #949 on: February 20, 2021, 04:42:14 AM
Pfrsantos,

The red one is a classic  with scissor, blade and file.

The Aqua one is a classic SD rally I think. It’s a Pepcid advertising knife with blade, file and a bottle opener.

Got them at a thrift store for 50 cents for two. Together they are a poor man’s “manager.” 😀

us Offline Sos24

Reply #950 on: February 20, 2021, 06:06:21 AM
I’m going to have to give the RovyVon a go Sos. I’ve had lots of Nitecores so suppose I’m biased towards them. I do like the lantern function a lot. The UV would be useful checking for bed bugs in a hotel but who gets to go to hotels anymore!

Nice scales on that rambler :like:
The lantern function is one thing I did like about the Tiki.  For me, I would have loved if the UV was swapped for red, so I could have have the HiCri Lantern plus red.  The RovyVon does have both UV and red with an option to have the main light HiCri.  RovyVon main beam is a little floodier with a brighter max lumen.  But it also is a little bigger, doesn’t gitd and doesn’t have the lantern function. 
 Here is a comparison (A8x top, Tiki bottom)

au Offline Echotech

Reply #951 on: February 20, 2021, 06:16:47 AM
The lantern function is one thing I did like about the Tiki.  For me, I would have loved if the UV was swapped for red, so I could have have the HiCri Lantern plus red.  The RovyVon does have both UV and red with an option to have the main light HiCri.  RovyVon main beam is a little floodier with a brighter max lumen.  But it also is a little bigger, doesn’t gitd and doesn’t have the lantern function. 
 Here is a comparison (A8x top, Tiki bottom)

Good to see them side by side Sos, they look so similar until you see the actual comparison …will definitely consider adding a RV in future :tu:

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #952 on: February 20, 2021, 06:28:53 AM
Frailer,

The looks of your torch and SAK say they have become old, reliable friends. This is where we all want to get to! :like:

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #953 on: February 20, 2021, 04:35:08 PM

That is a lean, clean survival ring!

Pry bar with wrench function 👍

My only suggested add: aluminum pill tube with a 20, 10, and 5 rolled and stuffed inside.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #954 on: February 20, 2021, 04:54:13 PM
I still take a AAA flashlight with me traveling, because in an emergency where power is lost for possible extended time AAA batteries are so easy to scrounge.

:iagree:

But the nitecore Tip SE stays on the ring and I carry a thin line battery backup for phone and Tip. For long travel I add a solar charger. It is so light and flat it is dumb not to.

I carry an old 2A torch in my shaving kit and a backup battery.

Redundancy and spreading the redundancies among my person, my shoulder bag and my roller = peace of mind on the move!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 06:32:44 PM by SgtTowser »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #955 on: February 20, 2021, 04:55:21 PM
Frailer,

The looks of your torch and SAK say they have become old, reliable friends. This is where we all want to get to! :like:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #956 on: February 21, 2021, 02:38:30 AM
That is a lean, clean survival ring!

Pry bar with wrench function

My only suggested add: aluminum pill tube with a 20, 10, and 5 rolled and stuffed inside.
Thanks Sarge :tu:
I keep a few bank notes in my phone case as phone is also always with me. I’ve tried the pill case in the past, it works well :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #957 on: February 21, 2021, 04:06:49 AM

But the nitecore Tip SE stays on the ring and I carry a thin line battery backup for phone and Tip. For long travel I add a solar charger. It is so light and flat it is dumb not to.

I carry an old 2A torch in my shaving kit and a backup battery.

Redundancy and spreading the redundancies among my person, my shoulder bag and my roller = peace of mind on the move!

Solar charger/Powerbanks are awesome. Redundancy and options are great.

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #958 on: February 21, 2021, 05:25:03 PM
It's not the fanciest torch in the world, but it does what I need round the house. :tu:

Yeah, I know that's a lot of SAKs for an EDC, but depending on where I am (usually in the house, these days) they all get a workout. And the keyring provides an excellent backup bottle opener if I've not got one to hand. :cheers:
We have the tools, we have the talent!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #959 on: February 21, 2021, 10:13:24 PM
Pfrsantos,

The red one is a classic  with scissor, blade and file.

The Aqua one is a classic SD rally I think. It’s a Pepcid advertising knife with blade, file and a bottle opener.

Got them at a thrift store for 50 cents for two. Together they are a poor man’s “manager.” 😀
They look great, and both for 50ct?! Great deal!

:cheers: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD