Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Episodes

Chako · 84 · 11391

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: SOG Episodes
Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 02:03:37 AM
West Marine SOG Multi-tools

I thought this would be a good point to compare the two offerings from West Marine. This is more of a photo comparison between the smaller Sailing Tool, and the larger BlackTip Fishing Tool.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 08:58:46 PM
I didn't see the PT540 - did I miss it or have you not gotten there? I assumed it would have been mentioned with the PowerLock discussion. Regardless, i love this thread :tu: thank you :salute:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 11:17:38 PM
I debated on if I should include it or not. The not won out as it is so different from the PowerLocks. I also debated on having the BlackTip included with the PowerAssist, but it needed to be next to the Sailing Tool. Just how I organize things in my mind.  :D

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 11:32:04 PM
I debated on if I should include it or not. The not won out as it is so different from the PowerLocks. I also debated on having the BlackTip included with the PowerAssist, but it needed to be next to the Sailing Tool. Just how I organize things in my mind.  :D

Fair enough :think: :salute: :rofl:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: May 19, 2016, 11:51:02 PM
Paladin Tool Series PT-540

SOG, when it gets a request to change their tools, they tend to go all out. With the Harley Davidson tools, a neat feature is the Harley Davidson name forged into the plier head. That requires special tooling  just for those. Likewise, the two West Marine tools based on the design of the SOG PowerAssist are definitely different enough. One could say they broke the mold when making the BlackTip Fishing Tool. Well that sort of dedication is very evident in the Paladin series of tools.

Paladin is a company that specializes in electrical and IT. This is evident in the tools selections you find on their models. However, as you progressively climb up the ladder, more specialization away from the SOG line is evident. The smallest in the series, the Paladin PT-510 is based on the Pocket PowerPliers. The next in line, the Paladin PT-525 is based on the PowerLock. The top dog of the Paladin series is the PT-540. This one doesn't quite fit into any easy classification as the handles are longer than those found on the PowerLock. The PT-540 does have 2 removable tool covers, but the similarity ends there. No, the PT-540 is quite something else...much like how the BlackTip is based on the PowerAssist, but not quite as it is so much larger.

I present to you, the Paladin PT-540. Introduced in 2006 one year behind the PT-510 and PT-525.

Lots of unique differences here. Just gaze at that attractive locking mechanism...yes...no piano hinge madness here.

Here we see the two protective tool covers open.

As far as tools go, this is very specialized.

A stop Lock is included.

A close up of the locking lever.

Another difference of the handles, a 7/16 and 3/8 nut drive are included.

Gear guards are included on the PT-540.

Just how much larger is the PT-540 over the other tools...

And good look at the differences of the pliers between all 3 Paladin tools.

Of the 3, the PT-540 is something special. I would also like to add that the leather sheaths that come with the PT-525 and PT 540 have an included bit adapter.

If you want to read more information on the series, here is a digital catalog from Paladin featuring all 3 tools.

http://datasheet.octopart.com/PA2648-Paladin-Tools-datasheet-21200457.pdf
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:52:56 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: May 19, 2016, 11:53:13 PM
There you go.  :salute:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: May 20, 2016, 12:48:55 AM
Outstanding , Sir :tu:

I love that 540!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: May 20, 2016, 12:51:48 AM
SOG TiNi Family

A few photos of those gold coloured pieces of art for you.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: May 20, 2016, 01:14:45 AM
SOG PowerDuo

There was a bit of controversy when this tool hit the market back in 2012. Like a few MT.O members, I jumped on the bandwagon when there was talk of a group buy. I decided to get one of each. Well, when other members started receiving their copies, there was a low rumble about something most found shocking...that there were issues with quality control from SOG. I awaited to get mine to see what all the fuss was about, and when I did finally receive mine in the mail, I could clearly see the issue. My clear handled version has the plastic cracked where the handle bolt holds the tool together. My black copy hides those cracks. I was lucky in that these cracks didn't outright break through the surface, sloughing parts of the handles away from the tool. Yeah, the PowerDuo did generate a lot of buzz...albeit negative.

I have noted that the SOG official web site still has the PowerDuo listed on their web site, but only in black. The clear version appears to be a thing of the past. Not sure when that version was discontinued, but I can imagine it didn't last very long, as it um...clearly showed defects in the plastic handle sub assembly.

With that out of the way, the PowerDuo is an interesting departure for SOG design wise. It almost looks like a SOG SwitchPlier from a side profile.

This design gives you a very nice and generous blade.

Albeit, at the expense of having to deal with a somewhat weird and uncomfortable handle shape.

Here we have the silver and the black PowerDuo.

The SOG PowerDuo, taking the play book from the Swiss, have included a toothpick and metal tweezers that slide under the plastic scales. Take a look along the edge of the scale and around that bolt. You can see the stress cracks and chipping that gave the PowerDuo a bad reputation for quality control.

Yikes, another crack seen on the silver PowerDuo.

A few profile views of the SOG PowerDuo.

As with all SOGs, the PowerDuo also feature compound leverage gears.

A nice feature of the PowerDuo, the knife blade has a lock-back locking mechanism.

So what can I say. The SOG PowerDuo did have some quality control issues from the start. My two examples are from the MT.O group buy, and because of that, I feel they are probably one of the first examples to hit the streets. The silver PowerDuo features see through scales which didn't do a thing to hide all of the stress cracks from along the edges and especially around the bolts that hold everything together. Today, you can only find the black version. I do not have a newer copy to compare, but I hope that the issue with the original run was fixed a long time ago.

If you like a large lock-back blade on a multi-tool, then the SOG PowerDuo is a good choice. Mind you, you won't have many choices to pick from out there anyhow.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:16:17 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: May 20, 2016, 01:19:02 AM
That about wraps up my additions here. I do not have the new PowerPlay, Reactor, or the MACV Tool. This will probably change sometime in the future.

I sincerely hope you guys enjoyed this thread.  :tu:  :salute:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: May 20, 2016, 01:54:58 AM
I enjoyed the heck out of it, and appreciate all of your contributions to MTO :tu: you are a real asset to the forums.

Admins! Sticky this thread, please and thank you :salute:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:12:16 AM by rdub934 »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: May 20, 2016, 07:01:21 AM
Superb thread Chako!
Of all the models SOG ever released, my favourite is the PT540. I just so love that tool. Custom built for a specific task in mind. A perfect example of what multitools really should be.....job specific, instead of the usual same old tool layout they all seem to favour these days.

Thanks Chako, really enjoyed it.....love those TiNi's :drool:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: May 20, 2016, 12:50:14 PM
 :salute:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #43 on: May 20, 2016, 03:03:17 PM
Great pics, and presentation. Thank you!  :salute:
Looking forward to your future threads.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #44 on: May 20, 2016, 03:50:08 PM
Awesome stuff Chako :tu:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: May 20, 2016, 09:34:25 PM
The PT-540 is more a work of art than anything :drool: I like the Powerduo as well and if not for the above issue (have those been taken care of yet in later models? ) I would like to track down one of those around :o :D

Thanks for these episodes Chako :cheers:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: May 20, 2016, 10:25:36 PM
Was working on the CrossCut page, and noticed something I had never heard mentioned before. Take a look at the grind on Chako's CrossCut

Now look at J-Sew's OG CrossCut (the one with the Hex Bolts) in this picture:

See the differences in the scissor grind? It looks like SOG made this change during the OG CrossCut's production, rather than with the introduction of the 2.0 like I had originally assumed.

I wonder if there is a TiNi CrossCut with the more acute (older?) scissor grind?

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: May 21, 2016, 04:46:35 AM
Good catch :tu: Took a very watchful eye and memory to notice that :cheers:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #48 on: May 21, 2016, 05:25:24 AM
See the differences in the scissor grind? It looks like SOG made this change during the OG CrossCut's production, rather than with the introduction of the 2.0 like I had originally assumed.

I wonder if there is a TiNi CrossCut with the more acute (older?) scissor grind?

Hmmm, this aroused my curiosity, so I had a look at all my USA Crosscuts and CrossGrips.

I only have one TiN CrossCut (they are hard to find), and it has the less acute (newer ?) scissor grind.  It does have the (older ?) hex screws.

Then I checked on my SS CrossCuts. 3 had the  less acute (newer ?) scissor grind, while one (# 671) had the more acute/complex (older ?) scissor grind.  All had hex screws and "SOG, USA" stamped around the scissors pivot (the USA was hidden when they are opened up). 

I found there were also two different tweezers on CrossCuts as well. One that is much more complex in shape and rotated 90 degrees compared with the simpler tweezers on the other (newer ? ) CrossCuts.  The reason I'm guessing the complex tweezers are the original (older?) design is because the simpler (newer?) design would be cheaper to make. 

I suspect the older tweezers are less common as I only have them on two CrossCuts ( one SS with the older scissor grind and one TiN with the newer scissor grind), while my CrossGrips (all 18 of them) had the newer, simple design.

So my guess (based on a limited sample size, but it seems reasonable) is the early days of (USA, not China) CrossXXX production went something like this:

CrossCut production started with complex (double grind) scissors and complex tweezers.
CrossCut changed to simpler (single grind) scissors, still with complex tweezers.
CrossCut changed to simple tweezers.
CrossGrip production started with simple tweezers.

Does anyone know of any CrossCuts or CrossGrips that are exceptions to the above ?  Of course anyone can easily mod these little tools as they are quite easy to pull apart and re-assemble with different components.

Sorry, I have no idea on what dates these changes happened, and I can't do photos.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 05:27:46 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: May 21, 2016, 05:29:12 AM

Hmmm, this aroused my curiosity, so I had a look at all my USA Crosscuts and CrossGrips.

I only have one TiN CrossCut (they are hard to find), and it has the less acute (newer ?) scissor grind.  It does have the (older ?) hex screws.

Then I checked on my SS CrossCuts. 3 had the  less acute (newer ?) scissor grind, while one (# 671) had the more acute/complex (older ?) scissor grind.  All had hex screws and "SOG, USA" stamped around the scissors pivot (the USA was hidden when they are opened up). 

I found there were also two different tweezers on CrossCuts as well. One that is much more complex in shape and rotated 90 degrees compared with the simpler tweezers on the other (newer ? ) CrossCuts.  The reason I'm guessing the complex tweezers are the original (older?) design is because the simpler (newer?) design would be cheaper to make. 

I suspect the older tweezers are less common as I only have them on two CrossCuts ( one SS with the older scissor grind and one TiN with the newer scissor grind), while my CrossGrips (all 18 of them) had the newer, simple design.

So my guess (based on a limited sample size, but it seems reasonable) is the early days of (USA, not China) CrossXXX production went something like this:

CrossCut production started with complex (double grind) scissors and complex tweezers.
CrossCut changed to simpler (single grind) scissors, still with complex tweezers.
CrossCut changed to simple tweezers.
CrossGrip production started with simple tweezers.

Does anyone know of any CrossCuts or CrossGrips that are exceptions to the above ?  Of course anyone can easily mod these little tools as they are quite easy to pull apart and re-assemble with different components.
Thank you!
I had litterally just noticed the more "complex" tweezers as well. Get a load of this sexy beast:
It is Zed's, and it is a black TiNi CrossCut. Isn't it pretty?

I think I agree with your analysis of the CrossCut's lifetime. It looks like SOG started with the simple Tweezers, tried out the more complex tweezers, and then moved back to the simple tweezers.

Simple Tweezers & Complex Grind
Complex Tweezers & Complex Grind
Complex Tweezers and Simple Grind
Back to Simple Tweezers, Simple Grind.

Also, any CrossCut's with torx screw construction are actually CrossCut 2.0's. It was produced from 2011 to 2015 (i think?), in China.

There's also a Tigerstripe CrossGrip (Bob's pic)

I wonder if there was ever a tigerstripe CrossCut, or a Black TiNi CrossGrip?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 05:38:23 AM by sLaughterMed »

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #50 on: May 21, 2016, 05:51:32 AM
Those CrossXXX with different finishes certainly are rare (they almost make the TiN finished versions look "common"   :pok: ).  I think I read somewhere that the "tiger" finished SOG MTs were a special run produced for the US military only, which is why they are so rare.

I'm curious why you think SOG started out with the simple tweezers, then moved to the complex tweezers, then reverted back to the simple ones again ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: May 21, 2016, 06:06:20 AM
Those CrossXXX with different finishes certainly are rare (they almost make the TiN finished versions look "common"   :pok: ).  I think I read somewhere that the "tiger" finished SOG MTs were a special run produced for the US military only, which is why they are so rare.

I'm curious why you think SOG started out with the simple tweezers, then moved to the complex tweezers, then reverted back to the simple ones again ?
No idea, some how that idea got stuck in my head. After doing some looking, I'm pretty certain im wrong about that ::) In my defense, its late, and im tired.

So it goes:
Complex Grind, Complex tweezers
Simple Grind, Complex Tweezers
Simple Grind, Simple Tweezers

Never heard that about the tiger stripe models before, I'll have to do some digging on that tommorow
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:07:37 AM by sLaughterMed »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: May 21, 2016, 06:17:29 AM
Just noticed something else very interesting. We might need to regthink the 1998 introduction date for the CrossCut. Take a close look at the picture from the November 1998 Boy's Life issue

It has the complex tweezers, but the simple scissor grind. 11 months is a very short amount of time for SOG to change production on a tool.

I think this might pushes introduction closer to 1997, or even 1996, the same year the Micra came out  :o Some very interesting implications there...

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #53 on: May 21, 2016, 08:43:01 AM
It wouldn't surprise me that SOG simplified the scissor grind quite quickly after initial production started; changes to save money would always get fast-tracked whenever possible. It would also explain why we see so few of the complex ground scissors if they were only made for as short time.

You should see how many changes Gerber made to the original Multi-Plier (Mr Pinchy) v1 in a short time (handle cutouts and nail nicks on blades).

Keep up the good work on this SOG history stuff, and if I can help in any way please ask  :tu:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:46:42 AM by gregozedobe »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: May 21, 2016, 11:53:56 AM
Great discussion.

I emailed SOG a while back and just got a response. A gentleman in Marketing over at SOG is willing to do some digging. I sent him a few questions and time will tell if he is able to find some info for us.

Of all the multi-tool manufacturers, I find I know less about SOG. I hope he is able to nail some intro dates, etc for us. Any info he finds and tells me, I will relay to this forum.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:55:09 PM by Chako »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: May 21, 2016, 03:35:27 PM
Great discussion.

I emailed SOG a while back and just got a response. A gentleman in Marketing over at SOG is willing to do some digging. I sent him a few questions and time will tell if he is able to find some info for us.

Of all the multi-tool manufacturers, I find I know less about SOG. I hope he is able to nail some intro dates, etc for us. Any info he finds and tells me, I will relay to this forum.
Awesome, cant wait to hear back

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: May 27, 2016, 04:56:48 AM
I checked my emails and I received a response to a series of questions I had asked SOG. Louis Chan, Marketing Coordinator was kind enough to respond and look up some information. I will post the whole email here for everyone to see.
-------------------------------------------------------------
 When did each model come to market?
·         PowerLock – 1998
·         PowerLock Traveler – 2015
·         PowerLock w/ V-Cutter – 2007
·         PowerLock EOD - 2002
·         PowerAssist – 2008
·         CrossCut 2.0 – 2010
·         CrossCut - 2000
·         PowerPlay – 2016
·         Reactor – 2016
·         Pocket PowerPlier – 1998
·         MacV Tool – 2016
·         SwitchPlier 2.0 – 2015
·         SwitchPlier - 2001
·         ParaTool – 1993
·         PowerDuo – 2012
·         ToolClip - 1990
·         Micro ToolClip - ~1992-93 (est.)
·         CrossGrip - 2000
·         Power Plier – 1994-99 (est.)
·         Vino - 2001
Some of these are estimated. I’m basing a lot of the pre-1999 dates off catalogs and we didn’t do catalogs every year.

2. I understand that a tiger finished SOG PowerLock was produced...how many of those were produced and for which market? No idea. The few people that I asked have heard about it, but weren’t sure if we did them in-house or it was custom by a distributor or another place.

3. What time frame were the TiNi models produced? Gold & black TiNi started in 2000. Gold stopped a 2-4 years after that, I believe. Black TiNi was switched to Black Oxide coating sometime as well.

4. Any variations within a models production time line is always good information. For example...model differences or slight variations and when they happened. For example, how long did the first generation ToolClip was produced, then switched over to the second generation. There were a lot of running changes based on testing and feedback from customers. A lot of these weren’t officially documented. Only the CrossCut and SwitchPlier had major updates hence their 2.0 successor.

I’m sure you probably know about this page: http://www.sogknives.com/catalog-downloads.html
It’s got all our catalogs back to 2006.

LOUIS CHAN / Marketing Coordinator
SOG SPECIALTY KNIVES & TOOLS
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:58:43 AM by Chako »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: May 27, 2016, 06:38:20 AM
I checked my emails and I received a response to a series of questions I had asked SOG. Louis Chan, Marketing Coordinator was kind enough to respond and look up some information. I will post the whole email here for everyone to see.
 When did each model come to market?
·         PowerLock – 1998
·         PowerLock Traveler – 2015
·         PowerLock w/ V-Cutter – 2007
·         PowerLock EOD - 2002
·         PowerAssist – 2008
·         CrossCut 2.0 – 2010
·         CrossCut - 2000
·         PowerPlay – 2016
·         Reactor – 2016
·         Pocket PowerPlier – 1998
·         MacV Tool – 2016
·         SwitchPlier 2.0 – 2015
·         SwitchPlier - 2001
·         ParaTool – 1993
·         PowerDuo – 2012
·         ToolClip - 1990
·         Micro ToolClip - ~1992-93 (est.)
·         CrossGrip - 2000
·         Power Plier – 1994-99 (est.)
·         Vino - 2001
Some of these are estimated. I’m basing a lot of the pre-1999 dates off catalogs and we didn’t do catalogs every year.

2. I understand that a tiger finished SOG PowerLock was produced...how many of those were produced and for which market? No idea. The few people that I asked have heard about it, but weren’t sure if we did them in-house or it was custom by a distributor or another place.

3. What time frame were the TiNi models produced? Gold & black TiNi started in 2000. Gold stopped a 2-4 years after that, I believe. Black TiNi was switched to Black Oxide coating sometime as well.

4. Any variations within a models production time line is always good information. For example...model differences or slight variations and when they happened. For example, how long did the first generation ToolClip was produced, then switched over to the second generation. There were a lot of running changes based on testing and feedback from customers. A lot of these weren’t officially documented. Only the CrossCut and SwitchPlier had major updates hence their 2.0 successor.

I’m sure you probably know about this page: http://www.sogknives.com/catalog-downloads.html
It’s got all our catalogs back to 2006.

LOUIS CHAN / Marketing Coordinator
SOG SPECIALTY KNIVES & TOOLS
Whoo hoo, a solid date for the Pocket PowerPlier :ahhh

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: August 21, 2016, 09:59:12 PM
SOG PowerPlay with molded sheath.

I just got this one in a few days ago and thought it should be added to this thread.

The SOG PowerPlay is a new for 2016 multi-tool that features a good tool set, but in my opinion, has an Achilles heel.

If SOG is competing for shelf space, then I think they just won with the largest package to ever hold this size of multi-tool. I mean, this reminds me of the old PC days when you got a big box of air with a floppy and a small instruction booklet...but that was back in the late 80s and 90s.

Look how thick this packaging is. I thought I was receiving a Gerber Cable Dawg!

Opening this honking big packaging, my expectations were high.

Pulling the inner cardboard insert...I was deflated. Look at all that wasted space.  :facepalm:

Two plastic tray inserts...one for the multi-tool, the other for the molded sheath and instructions. Yep, back to the haydays of big boxes occupying maximum space. Come on SOG, you need to start thinking green somewhat.

Once the bulky packaging was put aside, this is what that big box contained.

The molded sheath is slick. I actually like the sheath quite a bit, It holds the tool snuggly either way thanks to raised side channels that accommodate the knife blade side which is raised somewhat from the other side.

The molded sheath has good texturing to facilitate tool extraction, and a very nice hard plastic belt loop which is open on one side. I like this a lot as you can wear the sheath without having to take off your belt and loop it back on afterwards.

The plastic belt loop is nice and wide.

The one thing that had me a little confused at first was the two raised sides that allowed the tool to fit in the sheath either left or right. At first, I thought cool, much like some Leatherman sheaths, this molded plastic one will allow you to carry the tool either closed or open...well..as soon as I tried to place the tool in the sheath open, it didn't fit correctly.

It was only then, upon closer inspection, that I saw the sheath was designed to hold the tool closed. On the plus side, the molded sheath has a nice rubber retentioner that is very easy to use. It does not however close on the tool in the open configuration.

Even with that limitation...and I will admit, it would have been great to be able to store the tool open in the molded sheath, I still like the sheath. It is minimal, has a good belt loop system, and the rubber retention strap is super easy to use and secure. The tool also fits inside the sheath like a glove.

One thing I have to say about SOG, they sure love to brand their tools repeatedly. The PowerPlay is no exception. However, it looks like a more sinister logo is used. This logo is one I haven't seen yet on their multi-tool even though it is an old SOG logo.

Looking at one side of the tool, you can see the locking mechanism studs sticking out on the bottom. More on those later.

The PowerPlay features a plain edge blade as well as a serrated blade...both on the same handle. Much like the old Leatherman Wave, you also get a small, medium, and large flat screwdriver. I always found that to be overkill, but that is just my personal opinion. At least one of the larger flat drivers may do double duty as a scrapper in a pinch. On top of that, you get a dedicated eyeglass flat driver, but unlike the replaceable ones found on some Leathermans (you can lose those), this one is fixed, and looking a tad fradgile for my liking. You also get an awl, file, saw, bottle and can openers along with wire cutter and pliers. A neat feature is a 1/4" bit driver with magnetic feature situated on the pliers end of the closed tool.

A close up of the pliers along with the compound leverage gears. I noticed the lack of gear covers to protect finger pinch. Not a big issue as you would have to be rather dedicated to get your fingers stuck in there.

Only one handle as these metal covers on both sides. At first, I though my copy was defective because I had assumed my other handle side was missing their metal plates. To me, the tool looks unfinished...but once again, that is a personal opinion.

Now we come to the one thing I cannot stand about this tool. The Achilles heel are those two locking mechanism studs. Now, what I am about to say is something that bothers me about this tool. In all fairness, this may not be an issue to you. With that said, I find having to use two hands, or one if you are ambidextrous enough, along with the poor vector direction of the force required, makes unlocking any tool a major pain. Worse, yet, there is a mirroring in the handles, which means, I have an easier time opening the outside tools that feature the two blades, and a heck of a time unlocking the other handle with the inner facing tools. Why not use the usual back levers, or have the studs moved backwards as opposed to 45 degree angle you need to move these studs. For me, this is almost a deal breaker for this tool.

Here we can see the compound leverage gears in use, as well as the docking site for the 1/4" driver bits. Note that there are two small circular magnets, one on each side. They work good in holding the bits in there.

Note that when you install a 1/4" driver bit, the tool does not completely close, even though the bit is very secure as that part does clamp down tightly on the driver bit.. I really like the geometry of this setup however. One of the better driver implementations I have seen on a multi-tool.

Yes, those little magnets do a good job of holding the driver bits. Great feature and should hopefully eliminate a lot of swearing and driver bit searches on the ground.

A lot of newer SOG tools feature a crenelated decoration. The PowerPlay is no different, if much more subtle.

Not only do you get the menacing SOG skull logo on the sheath, there is a more subdued version on the edge of the PowerPlay.

It is a nice multi-tool as far as comfort and ergonomics go.

I have noticed some rotational play on the handles in the closed position. They aren't exactly lined up either. I am happy to state that once opened, the rotational play disappears. There is also no handle play when the PowerPlay is opened.

In conclusion, there is a lot to like about the SOG PowerPlay. It is very ergonomic. The tools have good geometry for ease of use. The end bit driver is a winner in my books and is situated dead center of the tool. I dislike off center tools for use. They just don't rotate around an axis nicely, and this one is one of the nicest implementations for a multi-tool I have seen yet. The PowerPlay also features 18 tool counts...so it is not lacking in the feature department.

Now for the Achilles heel of the PowerPlay. I just can't get along with those unlocking stud mechanisms. The geometry due to both handles being in the same orientation (meaning you get one handle with outside opening tools, and one handle with inside opening tools), makes one of the handles a tad awkward for me to open, and I am right handed. I also find the spring very stiff on the studs, and I guess they should soften with time...however as a new tool, one handle is a bit of a bear to unlock the folding tools.

Overall, there is much to like about the PowerPlay. I find it is let down by the not that user friendly unlocking studs. With that said, like everything else, you may not be bothered by those studs as much as I am. If nothing else, look at the photos and make your own opinions.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: August 21, 2016, 11:22:51 PM
Nice write up on the PowerPlay Chako. There are a lot of little details you pointed out that I missed tht last time I checked out a PowerPlay, specifically the skull logo, and that the gear linkage is inside the handles, rather than outside like on the PowerPlier (which I think looks rather cool).

I have to agree on the locks too, I think changing from the ones on the PowerLock was a mistake. The nubs stick out too far, and disengagement can be difficult.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%