Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pictorial guide to SOG components

yud · 34 · 4504

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Pictorial guide to SOG components
on: May 10, 2016, 07:39:28 PM
This is a redo of an old thread that loss its pictures.

Philips #1.                                    Harley Davidson serrated blade
Awl.                                              SOG serrated blade
Bottle opener.                             Partially serrated blade
Can opener.                                 Plain blade
Large screwdriver.                     Saw
1/4" drive.                                    New file
Paladin Hook.                              Harley Davidson file
Scissors.                                      V-cutter

Three inches and under fit in the Paratool (the HD blade will work though)
On the Paratool the slots are SSMLL

Everything fits the Powerlock and Powerassist
The slots are LMSSML.

The openers are the only medium tools.

The scissors and 1/4" drive are two slots, and the paladin hook is half a layer.

Show content

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Re: Pictorial guide to SOG components
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 07:43:12 PM
Here is the file
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 234.47 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 09:11:40 PM
Great job! I really like this aspect of the SOG line and it's nice to see the wisdom collected. If I succeed in laying my hands on an older Paratool as I plan to I'll add pictures of the older file, small driver and the older can opener.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:12:32 PM
Really old Paratool's actually have totally different blade nail nicks and finishes. There's also another round file from a n older paratool, looks like this:

(sorry for the potato quality, I don't have this file anymore, and it's the only pic I have.

Yud, why does your HD blade have a slight clip to the end? I have one with "Harley Davidson" etched on it, and it does not have that clip on it.

If another Paladin or West Marine piece passes through my hands again, I'll try to remember to take similar pics.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 10:40:10 PM
Really old Paratool's actually have totally different blade nail nicks and finishes. There's also another round file from a n older paratool, looks like this:
 (Image removed from quote.)
(sorry for the potato quality, I don't have this file anymore, and it's the only pic I have.

Yud, why does your HD blade have a slight clip to the end? I have one with "Harley Davidson" etched on it, and it does not have that clip on it.

If another Paladin or West Marine piece passes through my hands again, I'll try to remember to take similar pics.

What clip?  SMKW had some with and without the etching.

I do have a picture of the sailing tool, but my hex wrench is broken.  I have never taken it apart and want a better reason to take it apart.  I am interested if the wrench fits the Paratool.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 04:14:29 AM

I do have a picture of the sailing tool, but my hex wrench is broken.  I have never taken it apart and want a better reason to take it apart.  I am interested if the wrench fits the Paratool.
The HD blade looks almost like it has a very steep clip point. Compare the tip of the SOG partially serrated blade to the tip of the HD blade and you will see what I mean

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 04:35:18 AM
Thanks for this thread  :cheers: Helps people like me to see what can be gotten for SOG MTs and what order they can be put in :tu:

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 04:36:24 AM

The HD blade looks almost like it has a very steep clip point. Compare the tip of the SOG partially serrated blade to the tip of the HD blade and you will see what I mean

It might be the hollow grind plus the angle of the camera.  In reality the tip is straight.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 04:39:37 AM

It might be the hollow grind plus the angle of the camera.  In reality the tip is straight.
:shrug: camera angles are funny that way I guess.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 02:19:19 AM
Here are some other SOG/Paladin bits.  It is difficult to see in this photo, but the knife blade is marked Harley-Davidson.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 03:43:26 AM
I don't have a pic but don't forget the fish scaler on the Blacktip!  Good thread :tu:

au Offline ljnoble

• The Land DownUnder
Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 04:00:30 AM
Here are some other SOG/Paladin bits.  It is difficult to see in this photo, but the knife blade is marked Harley-Davidson.

Is that punch down tool from a sog MT ? I don't know that sog line very well and as a sparkie ID love a tool with one on it

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

From The Land DownUnder

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 04:04:50 AM

Is that punch down tool from a sog MT ? I don't know that sog line very well and as a sparkie ID love a tool with one on it

That is a paladin part

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 04:15:33 AM

That is a paladin part
Just to expand on that, it is a punchdown tool from a Paladin PT-510, PT-525 or PT-540. SOG produced these tools for Paladin Telecom Tools, and are difficult to find nowadays.

On the bright side, the few reviews from sparkies and telecom workers seem to indicate the punchdown tools are rubbish.

au Offline ljnoble

• The Land DownUnder
Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 04:57:22 AM

That is a paladin part
Just to expand on that, it is a punchdown tool from a Paladin PT-510, PT-525 or PT-540. SOG produced these tools for Paladin Telecom Tools, and are difficult to find nowadays.

On the bright side, the few reviews from sparkies and telecom workers seem to indicate the punchdown tools are rubbish.
Ahh okay thanks heaps for the information , Id love a good MT for a sparkie being one it's sometimes quite hard to carry 90000000 tools and the perfect MT would be great if I could find one hahaha

From The Land DownUnder

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 05:24:29 AM

That is a paladin part

Ahh okay thanks heaps for the information , Id love a good MT for a sparkie being one it's sometimes quite hard to carry 90000000 tools and the perfect MT would be great if I could find one hahaha

Yeah, finding the right multi tool for the job is hard. Have you ever heard of the SOG PowerCut? It was a sidecutter based multitool that sadly never made it to production. Still, i find the topic fascinating.  http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=PowerCut

au Offline ljnoble

• The Land DownUnder
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 06:57:02 AM

That is a paladin part

Yeah, finding the right multi tool for the job is hard. Have you ever heard of the SOG PowerCut? It was a sidecutter based multitool that sadly never made it to production. Still, i find the topic fascinating.  http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=PowerCut
That's a awesome looking tool, I love my power lock and power assist so I really wish they had made them. At the moment I just use a BO Swiss tool for work but that looks Far better suited to what I would want

From The Land DownUnder

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 12:53:42 PM
I was thinking this would be a great addition to the Encyclopedia, but it seems like, as usual,  I'm late to the party!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 12:08:49 PM
I don't have a pic but don't forget the fish scaler on the Blacktip!  Good thread :tu:

I have got one in parts around here somewhere. Pics when I find it.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 04:00:31 PM

I think the file on the Blacktip is unique too in that it has a groove for sharpening hooks...

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 06:09:35 PM
I was planning on doing some other SOG tool articles first, but since this thread seems to be getting some traction, I made a SOG Tool Component page for the Multitool Encyclopedia. http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=SOG+Components

Also if I could get some "family pictures" like all the special  Paladin or West Marine tools in one picture for the Encyclopedia, I would love it.:tu:

Also, do we know if there were more than 3 variations of the SOG file?

EDIT: Found a 4th variation of the file on a very old ParaTool here: https://www.reddit.com/r/multitools/comments/4iwndp/paratool_with_a_configuration_ive_never_seen/

So at least 4 variations now. Anyone know if the Larger round file from the HD tools came before the smaller round ParaTool file I posted?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:23:28 PM by sLaughterMed »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 09:29:42 PM

Also if I could get some "family pictures" like all the special  Paladin or West Marine tools in one picture for the Encyclopedia, I would love it.:tu:

I'm sure I posted such a picture here on the forum some time ago. All 3 Paladin's plus the West Marine & Blacktip.

Personally I find the big Paladin utterly stunning! It's more a work of art than a tool!  :drool:

I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 09:51:28 PM

I'm sure I posted such a picture here on the forum some time ago. All 3 Paladin's plus the West Marine & Blacktip.

Personally I find the big Paladin utterly stunning! It's more a work of art than a tool!  :drool:
Whelp, I'm going fishing in your post history now.

EDIT: well, 10 minutes of ctrl+f later, and nothing :shrug:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:06:52 PM by sLaughterMed »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 03:53:11 AM
I wish they still offered that serrated line cutter. And that beefier file.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 04:53:23 AM

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59328.msg1085527.html#msg1085527

;)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 05:51:02 AM

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59328.msg1085527.html#msg1085527

;)
Thanks, you rock Poncho. I remember looking at that specific page too, but I managed to miss the pics :faceplam:

I wish they still offered that serrated line cutter. And that beefier file.
I am not a fan of either the new file, or that beefier one. I liked the slightly older, tapered file, its a lot more aggressive IMO
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 05:55:37 AM by sLaughterMed »

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 05:58:59 AM
Also there is a small "pen" blade on the old MultiPliers.  Bad pic but it's the one with the glare on it.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 10:55:24 AM

I think the file on the Blacktip is unique too in that it has a groove for sharpening hooks...

Ignore the upside down Phillips.   :facepalm:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 05:24:16 PM

Thankee sai, It is much appreciated.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 09:27:33 PM

Thankee sai, It is much appreciated.

This would be a great idea/thread for all major brand of MTs with semi removable fasteners :think:

Great pics ZMan :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD