Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wool blanket suggestions?

firiki · 77 · 8915

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Wool blanket suggestions?
Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 08:27:02 PM
They will look like racing stripes.  :angel:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: December 14, 2017, 05:41:15 PM
I get a feeling that people think I'm looking for a blanket to be used on a bed :think: I'm looking for a slim, woolen one to be tucked away in a bag, though. I think I'll try the Italian one; I'll start by sending the seller a question regarding its composition. Stay tuned.

Did you get anywhere with this? I'm looking for the same things as you. I've got an airline blanket which of course packs up really nice and small but it's summer use only outdoors.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:46:48 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: December 17, 2017, 02:08:45 PM
Is the wool blanket is meant as a means to keep you warm while sitting or laying down? If so I'd suggest that a sleeping bag is a better option? Most likely a warmer, lighter and more compressible option. And they are more water resistant than wool, and can zip open so they can also be used as blankets. It made sense in my head if keeping warm is the main purpose.

Another alternative option might be a multi use insulated wind bag? Some also come with attachable arms so you can walk around with them. (They typically have many ways of using them). The best around here, and likely the original one, is the "Jerven" product line (for example at https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/jerven-fjellduken-extreme/22621).

They come in various sizes and with various degrees of insulation. They are extensively used by outdoors people and the army in Norway. It is even discussed to make it a legal requirement to have one (or similar) on snowmobiles in case of emergencies.

I've slept outside in -2°C in a light insulated one once. It was directly on the ground, and while it was cold the temperature difference to the outside was very obvious too.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:14:08 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #63 on: January 01, 2018, 03:19:06 PM
It seems I live in a paradise for wool blankets (western Canada).  We love them and have picked up quite a few in thrift stores over the last few years.  They aren't Hudson's Bay blankets but are likely as good and most were made in Canada years ago.  The last one we got was $6 or so (about $5 US).

John.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: December 22, 2018, 06:15:13 AM
Picked this wool blanket up.  Here are the tags on the blanket.   
IMG_6428.jpg
* IMG_6428.jpg (Filesize: 338.99 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: December 22, 2018, 04:34:41 PM
I keep a wool blanket (80% wool) out in the truck, stuffed under the seat. It's a simple thing, still in the packaging, and stuffed under the seat of the truck. It's out of the way and always available for a winter situation. I picked it up at a local hardware store that sells some surplus military stuff and camping gear.

I like the wool blanket option better than the sleeping bag because sleeping bags should not be stored in a compressed manner for extended periods of time. The insulation in a bag will compress and breakdown. A wool blanket won't be as warm as a good bag, but, if it's Winter, I'll have a jacket or sweater with me and the blanket will just go over that.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 04:40:56 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: December 22, 2018, 04:35:35 PM
Not seeing your photo at the moment Aloha...

Possibly server transition issue?

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: December 22, 2018, 07:52:47 PM
Very nice indeed gents.  :hatsoff:

My wool blanket now lives pretty permanently on the back of the sofa and is a regular feature in someone's afternoon nap. :whistle:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: December 22, 2018, 08:01:17 PM
Not seeing your photo at the moment Aloha...

Possibly server transition issue?

EDIT: fixed!

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #69 on: December 22, 2018, 09:56:57 PM
... sleeping bags should not be stored in a compressed manner for extended periods of time. The insulation in a bag will compress and breakdown.
Oh I didn't know that.  :dunno:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: December 23, 2018, 12:12:19 AM
I keep a wool blanket (80% wool) out in the truck, stuffed under the seat. It's a simple thing, still in the packaging, and stuffed under the seat of the truck. It's out of the way and always available for a winter situation. I picked it up at a local hardware store that sells some surplus military stuff and camping gear.

I like the wool blanket option better than the sleeping bag because sleeping bags should not be stored in a compressed manner for extended periods of time. The insulation in a bag will compress and breakdown. A wool blanket won't be as warm as a good bag, but, if it's Winter, I'll have a jacket or sweater with me and the blanket will just go over that.

(Image removed from quote.)

I have an old army wool blanket as part of my cold weather emergency kit in my vehicle as well.   :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: December 25, 2018, 04:37:02 PM
Nice bit of info Nix on the sleeping bags  :tu:.  A wool blanket kept in the vehicle is a simple solution to a variety of potentials.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #72 on: January 19, 2019, 06:16:20 PM
For those who want more real life info, I sleep under wool every night and have for a while now. The Bulgarian H3 blanket is good stuff for the money, if you can find one. The weave is thick and has quite a bit of air space, so it traps warmth nicely, and it works well as a homestead blanket for those of us who don't care much about having an ugly surplus blanket on the bed. It does pill and shed a bit, though, especially when new. The wool is a touch itchy as well, so you would do well to have a second thin fleece blanket or bedsheet between you and the blanket.
I also just got one of the Woolly Mammoth brand homestead blankets at Christmastime, and it's a better blanket than it has any right to be for the price. 80% merino wool, low itchiness, good size, very warm, quite thick, no pilling or shedding yet. Smells heavily of lanolin when new, but after a day or two of airing out it's not bad. For the money they ask, it is a killer deal.

Jhony

Reply #73 on: July 12, 2021, 08:04:58 PM
 :spamkiller:

Bye Bye    :waving:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 03:34:23 PM by SteveC »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: July 12, 2021, 08:56:17 PM
One post just to give us a link?

I mean, it's on topic, so the spambots are getting smarter....

Still sus.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: July 13, 2021, 04:49:03 PM

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #76 on: July 28, 2021, 02:24:51 AM
Well the bots necromancy drew attention to this thread.

Here in Australia we are spoiled for 100% wool blankets being common second hand and new ones are relatively cheap (Queen 100% approx USD$67 posted new) I don't have heating here in Sydney and pretty much just have wool blankets for sleeping.

The best time to buy them in the thrift shops is late spring to early summer and right through any heatwaves. By Autumn prices have tripled if not more.
(Most Thrift shops here have a move it along with attitude as they get new donations daily)

For camping, I love the older Double Bed size blankets. The queens tend to be too big and the singles are a little skimpy for my 187cms when doing the diamond shape wrap.
Lately, however I have been really digging the Lap/cot size blankets. They vary in size but are usually around 1.5m by 1.2m. They make great day hiking multipurpose items.

Things like use as Picnic rug, Folded in a triangle as a shawl or folded Plash Palatka style as a hooded cloak, emergency towel or light drizzly rain cover. Rolled up with a bit of webbing and a shoulder strap they aren't as bulky as a full sized single. I have tested tworolled together and its abut the same bulkiness as a regular double bed one and probably more useful.
 :woohoo:
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD