Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's with the Alinghi Strap Cutter

ru Offline Nick4

Re: What's with the Alinghi Strap Cutter
Reply #30 on: July 03, 2021, 08:54:40 AM
Please do! It’s a great pleasure
Many thanks, bismouth:hatsoff:

The SAKWiki pages:

Offline ulli

Reply #31 on: July 03, 2021, 11:37:52 AM
Many thanks, bismouth:hatsoff:

The SAKWiki pages:

Cool page, but with many mistakes. Reading the text, many will think that every crew member carried such a knife, what is completely wrong. As I mentioned above, those knives were for sale at all the alinghi events, for everybody. Believe it or not :-)

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #32 on: July 03, 2021, 12:49:10 PM
Thanks a lot for your comment, ulli!

Cool page, but with many mistakes.
I would appreciate any corrections (English is not my first language).

Reading the text, many will think that every crew member carried such a knife, what is completely wrong.
Sorry, but this information is from Wenger. Perhaps you are addressing your objections to them? ;)

As I mentioned above, those knives were for sale at all the alinghi events, for everybody. Believe it or not :-)
I do not doubt your words at all. Maybe it makes sense to add this information to the page?  :dunno:

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #33 on: July 04, 2021, 07:51:30 AM
Reading the text, many will think that every crew member carried such a knife, what is completely wrong. As I mentioned above, those knives were for sale at all the alinghi events, for everybody.

Added the following information to the page:
According to information received from a recpected member of Multitool.org, these knives were also available for purchase during Alingni events.
Supposedly, at least about 500 pieces of this model were made.

Now it's right?  :think:

be Offline bismouth

Reply #34 on: July 04, 2021, 07:58:20 PM
Cool page, but with many mistakes. Reading the text, many will think that every crew member carried such a knife, what is completely wrong. As I mentioned above, those knives were for sale at all the alinghi events, for everybody. Believe it or not :-)

Well, it is quite complicated because they were other wenger made for Alinghi... Do you have any information about your statement? The only information found online about this particular model is that it was made for the crews.

Offline ulli

Reply #35 on: July 05, 2021, 05:20:18 PM
Well, it is quite complicated because they were other wenger made for Alinghi... Do you have any information about your statement? The only information found online about this particular model is that it was made for the crews.

For me that online article from wenger seems to be a good marketing story. The alinghi crew was around 13 - 17 people, that were on the boat sailing. The costs for a specific production process for a completely new model would have been immense. I just think that wenger launched that special model together with the other alinghi models, and maybe wenger gave the crew that model as a present. But I dont think that any of the members really carried such a knife while sailing on the alinghi. Those american cup events are huge, many boats around. If something would have happened to the ship, there would have been many people around immediately to help, so no need to carry such a big and clumsy knife.

I was told from wenger/victorinox staff that those knives were official for sale at all the alinghi tour events, not online on their platforms, just on the events. That makes sense for me. A limited production run with some hundred pieces. I myself bought 4-5 of those knives, and I m no crew member :-) I just cant believe that only 13-17 pieces were produced, and thosh has two of them :-) and I had 5 of them. Just a good clever marketing story - thats my opinon about that knife. Still really rare and limited. But also a limited demand. 2 years ago there were several of those knives for sale on online platforms, but did not went for a price around 200 $.

be Offline bismouth

Reply #36 on: July 05, 2021, 10:35:26 PM
That's a more complete response from your initial post, thanks a lot for sharing it!

I'm really curious about this knife because it seems to me that the strap cutter tool is quite specific and dangerous (as a knife sold in event) ?

Hope I'll find some intel about it :)

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 06, 2021, 05:09:15 PM
Hi there!
This reminds me a similar information I got when searching for the Ranger 182 Spearfishing
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Ranger+182+-+Spearfishing
The model pictured in the wiki is from my collection.
At the time, Wenger was claiming in its website that one knife was given to each competitor (63). I stll have the website page saved somewhere on my pc.
I believe the knives made were much more than that, probably sold during that competition in Croatia

be Offline bismouth

Reply #38 on: July 06, 2021, 08:29:25 PM
I can't find the old topic, but a member of MT.org was a staff member and receives the knife, am I wrong?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%