Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Skeletool RX for Police

Rico-2 · 69 · 9118

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: Leatherman Skeletool RX for Police
Reply #30 on: May 17, 2016, 12:26:50 PM
 :dnft: :worthless:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #31 on: May 17, 2016, 12:31:49 PM
Which reminds me, I do not have a Skeletool RX as of yet. They sure aren't selling one on the Leatherman Canada web site...go figure.  :facepalm:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #32 on: May 17, 2016, 12:45:31 PM
these police multitool threads become annoying. Most of the forum users tell you there is no need for a multitool in a daily officer job (and i agree with it).
I suggest you to concentrate on one thread instead of making dozen of them.
Why would you keep reading my annoying topics?

Offline pmew

Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 03:26:10 PM
these police multitool threads become annoying. Most of the forum users tell you there is no need for a multitool in a daily officer job (and i agree with it).

New member chiming in; most of the guys at my station carry SAK types if they carry anything at all.  Some of the younger lads have huge multi tools on their belts but we carry enough junk to be honest.  I have a freestyle clipped inside my vest but I've only ever used the pliers and those not often.  I carry a wrcase peanut too - I probably use that every day.
- hope that's useful...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 03:50:27 PM

New member chiming in; most of the guys at my station carry SAK types if they carry anything at all.  Some of the younger lads have huge multi tools on their belts but we carry enough junk to be honest.  I have a freestyle clipped inside my vest but I've only ever used the pliers and those not often.  I carry a wrcase peanut too - I probably use that every day.
- hope that's useful...

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the input :cheers:

Offline pmew

Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 04:11:08 PM

- hope that's useful...

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the input :cheers:

You're welcome, and thanks for the welcome :)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 04:35:16 PM
A lot of the manufacturers break down their products into categories or activities. Not sure what the criteria is to meet their requirements, though. I know tactical doesn't mean the same as law enforcement or rescue, but its as close as the companies seem to go.

Gerber doesn't get as specific, but you can peruse all the tools they deem tactical. Funny, the Bullrush, Crucial Black, and the MP1 series are not listed under tactical and that is where i would classify them.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Activity/Tactical

Leatherman lists theirs by activity, but the Skeletool RX doesn't make the cut, apparently. IMHO you could add all versions of the MUT, the CC versions of the Wave/Charge line, and the Rail OPT.

https://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools#prefn1=activities&prefv1=tactical%7Cemergency

SOG basically says "hey, if its black, its tactical". :rofl: Strangely, the Paratool doesn't qualify as tactical. I assumed "para" kind of reflected military. What do I know?

http://www.sogknives.com/tactical/multi-tools.html

I cant really think of what specific to LE type features a tool would need that other, general purpose tools dont already feature. If a department was going to order bulk MTs to issue out, I would assume do it the same as the military: Gerber BO MP600 basic (although the basic's loadout is pitiful). They are cheapish and reliable. I think it would mostly come down to personal preference, though. Some people, even if they are given a MT, don't use them and won't carry them. I see it all the time in the military, we were given MP600s, nice SOG knives, and Surefire lights - some dudes don't carry them. Admittedly, some of them bitch about the SOG knives not being Kershaws or Benchmades. Or they won't carry the MP600s because "SOGs are better".

My point is, I think personal preference plays the biggest factor. If I were a cop, I'd want light and reasonable access to tools, so maybe SwitchPlier or Pocket PowerPlier or MP400 :tu:

"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 04:51:55 PM
Quite a few plier bases options really.  RX could be a candidate tho I'm not so sure about the bit/s  :think:

Its seems like a good tool in general but I think I still lean to thinking that police officers like civilians are preference driven.  If we are talking about an agency supplying officers then.....  Rebar, Wave or the like.

I'm thinking feature rich tool would be most advantageous.  I wonder how many officers would still carry a dedicated blade as a result?   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 05:01:06 PM
Quite a few plier bases options really.  RX could be a candidate tho I'm not so sure about the bit/s  :think:

Its seems like a good tool in general but I think I still lean to thinking that police officers like civilians are preference driven.  If we are talking about an agency supplying officers then.....  Rebar, Wave or the like.

I'm thinking feature rich tool would be most advantageous.  I wonder how many officers would still carry a dedicated blade as a result?

Once a person gets use to having a dedicated knife it is hard to get them to break the habit :D I agree that feature rich and at least medium duty like Wave and Rebar is what could be offered no matter the weight.  I think it is still gonna be a preference thing if they carry it or not though.  Even if it is a lightweight MT some would still leave it in their patrol car.  While others would carry a Surge or the like without any problems :D

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #39 on: May 18, 2016, 05:01:39 PM
I think personal preference plays the biggest factor. If I were a cop, I'd want light and reasonable access to tools, so maybe SwitchPlier or Pocket PowerPlier or MP400 :tu:
Thanks for your extensive reply.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #40 on: May 18, 2016, 05:07:36 PM
New member chiming in; most of the guys at my station carry SAK types if they carry anything at all.  Some of the younger lads have huge multi tools on their belts but we carry enough junk to be honest.  I have a freestyle clipped inside my vest but I've only ever used the pliers and those not often. I carry a wrcase peanut too - I probably use that every day.
Welcome. Thanks for sharing.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: May 19, 2016, 09:18:08 AM
I still hold to my thinking however with more thought I think no one tool can be issued to all police officers. 

Officers work in a variety of environments and as such require different tools.  A blade for example is a tool that crosses most if not all environments factors. Pliers to me are a terrific tool however a glass breaker may not be the most ideal in all environments.   

I think environment and population are going to have to be considered when pondering what tool is best for police officers.  I'm thinking no one tool could serve all officers.   

A police officer in a town of less than 1000 wont be seeing nearly the same action as a officer in a city of 4 million.  Same goes for a coastal officer vs a mountain officer. 

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #42 on: May 31, 2016, 10:12:29 PM
IMO the light-weight Leatherman Skeletool RX could be greatly improved for police use, by adding replaceable hardwire-cutters.

Because sometimes officers need to cut a wire fence in a pursuit on foot, or if there is a fire or accident on a terrain, that is enclosed by fences or barb wire. And sometimes the patrol car is not nearby, or there is no time to walk two minutes to the police car and back. 

Adding replaceable hardwire-cutters to the Skeletool RX will not add much weight. It will probably add many years to the life span of this multitool in police use. And it will probably result in less clients, that ask for warranty repair.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #43 on: May 31, 2016, 10:24:03 PM
I think Freestyle would be better for police. All they need is a knife blade for emergency cutting and maybe the pliers for fences and such.
It has to simple and light. The blade isn't for fighting or self defense in general, just a tool.
Of course I think that ever officer decide himself if he wants to carry MT or not. Why it would be forced to carry one?
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #44 on: June 02, 2016, 01:55:51 PM
Leatherman Skeletool Accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yYLfGcmzAs
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:01:26 PM by Rico-2 »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #45 on: June 02, 2016, 02:46:32 PM
IMO the light-weight Leatherman Skeletool RX could be greatly improved for police use, by adding replaceable hardwire-cutters.

Because sometimes officers need to cut a wire fence in a pursuit on foot, or if there is a fire or accident on a terrain, that is enclosed by fences or barb wire. And sometimes the patrol car is not nearby, or there is no time to walk two minutes to the police car and back. 

Adding replaceable hardwire-cutters to the Skeletool RX will not add much weight. It will probably add many years to the life span of this multitool in police use. And it will probably result in less clients, that ask for warranty repair.

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm not a cop, nor do I want to be one.  I do, however, know several police officers, and have for years. 

I am currently in Loss Prevention, which is a fancy US term for Security.  I have been involved in foot pursuit, and I can tell you that if you have to stop to cut a wire fence, you have lost.  Like others have said, if you are responding to an incident like a fire or flood, there are different measures taken than just happening upon a raging blaze on routine patrol.  The only professional reason I carry a multitool as a Security Officer is my department is responsible for lock maintenance at my property, other than that I simply don't use one in my daily duties.  I would carry one anyways as I like to be prepared, but the professional need really isn't there. 

It seems that most of your scenarios are largely hypothetical.  I have run a few of these topics by my cop buddies, and to a man they told me carrying an MT wouldn't change how they responded.  None of them even carry one, though I constantly try to convince them they should.  They all have a tactical folder or slipjoint pocket knife, the rest of their tools are in their patrol vehicles if the need arises for them. 

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #46 on: June 02, 2016, 02:51:23 PM

I'm a tad curious why he was applying pressure to the back of the blade.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: June 02, 2016, 04:51:27 PM

Indeed, it seems like that's a case of him doing all the steps to fold the knife and being surprised that it works. I really wouldn't say that it failed but rather that it worked just as intended.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #48 on: June 03, 2016, 02:01:45 AM

Indeed, it seems like that's a case of him doing all the steps to fold the knife and being surprised that it works. I really wouldn't say that it failed but rather that it worked just as intended.

Having you finger in the way of a closing knife blade, is really operator error.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #49 on: June 03, 2016, 03:25:07 AM
The Skeletool RX seems to have the same liner-lock design:

Since the Skeletool RX is especially marketed for emergency services, I consider this exposed liner-lock as a dangerous design flaw, that needs an urgent solution. But I haven't handled this multi-tool personally.

A multi-tool for emergency responders is frequently used in life-threatening situations, under harsh weather-conditions and high time-pressure. So it should be inherently safe for intuitive use, without thinking about dangerous features.

Most folding knives have a blade-lock that is much less exposed than the Skeletool lock. They cannot be closed inadvertently, even in panic and even with sweatty of greasy hands, or under water, or in smoke or darkness etc.

I kindly invite Leatherman spokesmen to respond to this issue in this topic. Preferably with a demonstration video that proves me wrong.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 03:27:23 AM by Rico-2 »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #50 on: June 03, 2016, 03:34:41 AM
I... What??

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #51 on: June 03, 2016, 03:42:10 AM
You're joking, right? :think: You're criticizing a tool you've never handled based on one idiot who posted a video of his stupidity on the Internet? Here's an idea - we prefer real-life experience on this forum. Go get one, try it out, and then get back to us.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #52 on: June 03, 2016, 04:03:47 AM
I'm with JD, go buy one and try it before you start calling Manufacturers out.  You have no real basis for your criticisms of this tool.  There are plenty of tools designed like that.  If I'm not mistaken, the Victorinox Rescue Tool has a liner lock for the blade.  And it is a highly praised tool in the EMS/First responder field.  Could you provide some more factual basis before you make statements like this?

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #53 on: June 03, 2016, 04:04:47 AM
You're joking, right? :think: You're criticizing a tool you've never handled based on one idiot who posted a video of his stupidity on the Internet? Here's an idea - we prefer real-life experience on this forum. Go get one, try it out, and then get back to us.

In that spirit, I would like to just note that I've tried to disengage the lock on my Skeletool in different grips and found it exceptionally hard to do with one hand in a way that might occur by accident. I'm not sure what that fellow from YouTube was trying to accomplish with his tool when the lock "failed", especially considering one does not typically cut with the back of the blade. Even in a scenario where puncturing is required, or where one must use a sawing motion or other less than ideal cutting method that might stress the lock, I just don't see a Skeletool's lock failing unless it happens to be a lemon. It is, in my opinion, a pretty well designed and reliable tool, to the extent that can be reasonably expected.

To address an older post-
Is it even possible to fit the wider pliers with replaceable cutters into the Skeletool frame? The smallest example available, on the Rebar, looks too big to fit and it just doesn't look like there is enough clearance in the closed configuration to widen the pliers much. It looks to me like you'd need to rebuild the entire tool just to make that one change. Any modders with experience here are welcome to prove me wrong, as I haven't actually tried it.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #54 on: June 03, 2016, 07:53:54 AM
Linerlock is really good at least on Skeletool CX. I cannot see it failing any way. Maybe the lock is little bit late, but close to 50%.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: June 03, 2016, 08:39:18 AM
Disclaimer: I don't own any member of the Skeletool family.

First off, I tried both grips from the video on Wave and Surge... there is no way the lock is getting disengaged that way.

What I rather believe is that the lock had not engaged.
See "Faulty liner lock on Surge" -thread

Rossko07 image:

With a rescue blade there is a good chance you put a little bit of pressure on the spine, simply by sliding it under whatever you want to cut, so a not-engaging lock could proof disastrous.

This is a small problem, mostly the result of LM QM and it has easy solution. Check your MT when you get it. On the rare case the liner lock don't engage properly send it to LM for warranty OR fix it yourself.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline getahl

Reply #56 on: June 03, 2016, 02:47:03 PM
I will admit, I laughed, then I groaned, when I read the bit about police agencies lacking expertise in the arena of multitools. Yes, MT's are a niche market, and I've always been of the opinion that one should carry what they feel best suits their needs, which leads me to a question for any LEO or emergency responder who may read this thread: do your agencies or departments issue edged tools? It's one thing to defend the Skeletool RX as the perfect issue tool, but are they issued? I have never seen any kind of commonality between what one cop, EMT, firefighter, security guard, etc has in their pocket, which leads me to believe they are privately purchased.

Two months ago, my son's Pre-K took a walking field trip to the fire station next door to their school. Being the knife nut I am, I was checking out their their belts and pockets. One guy had a Gerber multi in a belt sheath, and a folder clipped to his pocket. Another guy had a Benchmade knife, no MT. The third had a Spyderco, again, no MT. All of the knife clips had signs of obvious pocket wear, and the Gerber sheath looked like it was a decade old. All have very clearly been used over the course of years. I guess the point I am trying to make is that the knives and multis I saw in one fire department were all different, which to my mind means purchased separately. If they had been issued, they would like have been the same make, if not the same model, to take advantage of bulk-buy cost savings. That said, I don't think there is a best multitool for the lifetime of a given profession, just what works for you personally.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #57 on: June 03, 2016, 06:15:53 PM
I will admit, I laughed, then I groaned, when I read the bit about police agencies lacking expertise in the arena of multitools. Yes, MT's are a niche market, and I've always been of the opinion that one should carry what they feel best suits their needs, which leads me to a question for any LEO or emergency responder who may read this thread: do your agencies or departments issue edged tools? It's one thing to defend the Skeletool RX as the perfect issue tool, but are they issued? I have never seen any kind of commonality between what one cop, EMT, firefighter, security guard, etc has in their pocket, which leads me to believe they are privately purchased.

Two months ago, my son's Pre-K took a walking field trip to the fire station next door to their school. Being the knife nut I am, I was checking out their their belts and pockets. One guy had a Gerber multi in a belt sheath, and a folder clipped to his pocket. Another guy had a Benchmade knife, no MT. The third had a Spyderco, again, no MT. All of the knife clips had signs of obvious pocket wear, and the Gerber sheath looked like it was a decade old. All have very clearly been used over the course of years. I guess the point I am trying to make is that the knives and multis I saw in one fire department were all different, which to my mind means purchased separately. If they had been issued, they would like have been the same make, if not the same model, to take advantage of bulk-buy cost savings. That said, I don't think there is a best multitool for the lifetime of a given profession, just what works for you personally.

Well said.  If it was an absolute necessity for a Police officer to carry a Multi then they would be standard issue.  Multitools are indeed a niche item and mostly personal preparatory preference(say that three times fast), not everyone feels the need to carry one.  In fact, most people don't even take a multitool into consideration at all, ever.  It's shocking how few people actually carry knives in the world given the market for them. 

us Offline getahl

Reply #58 on: June 03, 2016, 09:43:22 PM
Another thing occurred to me about MT carry. At a job I had seven years ago, when I was much more into the acquisition phase of my knife and MT collection, I thought they were the bee's knees. I always thought the facilities guys should have multitools, because it would make their jobs so much easier having all those tools with them. One dude had a pair of small channeloks in his back pocket, but that's it. I always wondered why they didn't use such an obviously superior tool... Until I seriously used my Charge Tti in some projects on my new 1961 era tract house. Took me about 5 minutes to come to the realisation that my Leatherman was essentially a toy, while better than nothing, is essentially worthless to me as a tool. Imagine that! The facility guys who were keeping that old building running for a living knew what they're doing. No offense intended to the OP, but this (and the other topics) seems like data mining what LEOs carry, to acquire said gear,  for the purpose of living out or imagining some romantic, Walter Mitty fantasy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #59 on: June 05, 2016, 02:00:25 AM
Another thing occurred to me about MT carry. At a job I had seven years ago, when I was much more into the acquisition phase of my knife and MT collection, I thought they were the bee's knees. I always thought the facilities guys should have multitools, because it would make their jobs so much easier having all those tools with them. One dude had a pair of small channeloks in his back pocket, but that's it. I always wondered why they didn't use such an obviously superior tool... Until I seriously used my Charge Tti in some projects on my new 1961 era tract house. Took me about 5 minutes to come to the realisation that my Leatherman was essentially a toy, while better than nothing, is essentially worthless to me as a tool. Imagine that! The facility guys who were keeping that old building running for a living knew what they're doing. No offense intended to the OP, but this (and the other topics) seems like data mining what LEOs carry, to acquire said gear,  for the purpose of living out or imagining some romantic, Walter Mitty fantasy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Exactly.  As a former building maintenance engineer, I can vouch for this.  I still always carried my Leatherman without fail, because it was SOMETHING if I was caught without my toolbag, but I would walk back to the shop even from across property to get my toolbag for a call because dedicated tools are that much better.  I love Multi's and I will always carry at least one on my belt daily, but for serious work it's much better to have dedicated tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%