Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cap-lifter Comparison

kaput · 13 · 1858

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Cap-lifter Comparison
on: May 15, 2016, 11:33:01 PM
Anyone else use the bottle openers on their multis often  :drink:

They vary from tool to tool, some traditional and some unique. I was just suprised that both my Gerbers, both the Crucial and Dime were far superior than the Leatherman particularly. The placement of the caplifter on the Leatherman is just terrible imo for trying to open a bottle, unless you keep the tool unfolded that is, which I guess you wouldn't really need to fold it to use it then unfold it again. :think: (I do however appreciate the cap lifter, can opener combo)

And the SAK just works great. No surprise  :tu:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 258.49 KB)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: Cap-lifter Comparison
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 11:41:05 PM
Anyone else use the bottle openers on their multis often  :drink:

They vary from tool to tool, some traditional and some unique. I was just suprised that both my Gerbers, both the Crucial and Dime were far superior than the Leatherman particularly. The placement of the caplifter on the Leatherman is just terrible imo for trying to open a bottle, unless you keep the tool unfolded that is, which I guess you wouldn't really need to fold it to use it then unfold it again. :think: (I do however appreciate the cap lifter, can opener combo)

And the SAK just works great. No surprise  :tu:

I'm not to surprised considering that Leatherman is a combo-tool. Jack-of-all-trades and so on. It's still one of the tools were I prefer the dual use over function, most things will open a bottle anyway. As for the SAK there's something to be said about Wengers bottle openers with the locking screwdriver. Such a simple way to improve functionality. No downsides at all that I know of (possibly makes it harder to re-purpose the backspring for mods?).

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 01:56:33 AM

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 01:57:07 AM

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 01:57:25 AM

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 01:57:43 AM

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 02:00:29 AM
My current favourite non SAK but still a multitool opener is...

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 02:14:31 AM
That repurposed serrated blade, cap lifter and awl blade is one of the top 5 coolest things I've seen on this site so far...  :tu:  :tu: whoa, that's dope!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 02:27:17 AM
Yeah - For such a simple function, cap lifters really vary in their ability to open a bottle.

And  for sure, it's a fact that, for the traditional Leatherman BO/CO (Wave, ST, etc), you have to have the handles open to operate the lifter - Just something to get used to.

My favourite I think is the Dime - (Hard to say as a LM and SAK fan!!) Always works first time, brilliantly and so convenient

Zoidy - Have you taken over from the Boss and started the 10th anniversary BO challenge early
And what on earth are piccies 2, 4 and 7?
4 looks like one of your strange mods

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 02:46:01 AM
Zoidy - Have you taken over from the Boss and started the 10th anniversary BO challenge early
And what on earth are piccies 2, 4 and 7?
4 looks like one of your strange mods

2. Destructo [Field Tool] DXT-009601

4. one of my strange mods

7. Jetboil CrunchIt

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 02:55:23 AM
That repurposed serrated blade, cap lifter and awl blade is one of the top 5 coolest things I've seen on this site so far...  :tu:  :tu: whoa, that's dope!

I see you've met my outside opening one hand open tactical bottle opener.   :facepalm:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 03:21:46 AM

I see you've met my outside opening one hand open tactical bottle opener.   :facepalm:
It's fantastic. Enough serration to still cut some rope, and looks to be a very sharp angled awl that could cut as well, and open packages and boxes to boot. And the cool factor is off the charts. Bravo

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 03:31:44 AM
As for the SAK there's something to be said about Wengers bottle openers with the locking screwdriver. Such a simple way to improve functionality. No downsides at all that I know of (possibly makes it harder to re-purpose the backspring for mods?).

My first SAK was a Wenger with locking screwdriver, and for many years every pair of pants I owned had that familiar imprint on the outside of the right front pocket. I am no fan of Wenger's locking mechanism at all.

• It collects gunk which will make the lock sluggish and/or hard to activate and/or simply unsafe. The same gunk will grind away on the internals.
  • I don't like having "suspension" on a driver I am using.

The idea is great on paper and the first time you inspect the knife, but given my experiences from very long term use, it's a feature I really hope Vic will never adopt in their 91 line (given the 85 mm Wenger implementation).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:33:06 AM by Steinar »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD