Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Axe and coconuts for merit badge

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Axe and coconuts for merit badge
on: May 16, 2016, 09:28:14 PM

We keep a cheapo axe in our kitchen. It is used to crack open coconuts. A few blows around the imaginary equator to crack it (pic 1) and then insert the now blunt edge to split it (pic 2) and bam...  you got fresh coco flesh (pic 3)  :drool:

Will this earn me an Axe User badge?

Axe1.jpg
* Axe1.jpg (Filesize: 85.25 KB)
Axe2.jpg
* Axe2.jpg (Filesize: 111.82 KB)
Axe3.JPG
* Axe3.JPG (Filesize: 99.89 KB)

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Re: Axe and coconuts for merit badge
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:57:58 AM

Rounded up my other axes to add here. I don't know much about axes but have acquired a few over the years. Left to right...

Dollar Store Axe - not surprisingly good for nothing but still don't feel like throwing it away
UST Paracuda Machete and Para Hachet - intended for camping, never used
Old Timer Switch It - can switch the axe head with other blades, more like a carving multi tool
Hand Axe - use this to crack open coconuts, nice weight and feel for one handed use
Felling Axe - I think this is what these are called and use them on trees when I think my chain saw is not necessary which is very rare  :P  I have got my chain saw stuck (because I am stupid) and this has come in handy then

Axe4.JPG
* Axe4.JPG (Filesize: 118.66 KB)

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 06:42:37 AM
Thats nuts!  :D

Sorry I just had to say it  :whistle:

Like the look of the handle on the felling axe  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 09:30:42 AM
He a nut, crazy in the coconut!  :D

Cool axes rishardh! :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 02:18:44 PM
Awarded.   :cheers:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 03:16:01 PM

Thanks guys  :cheers:  This is one badge I thought I might never qualify for and glad to be part of the Axe-Men club  :)

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 11:58:02 PM

Coconut Scraper pics. Traditional vs home made contraption. Thought some of you might be interested because you hardly see these here.

Axe5.JPG
* Axe5.JPG (Filesize: 103.24 KB)
Axe6.JPG
* Axe6.JPG (Filesize: 90.97 KB)
Axe7.JPG
* Axe7.JPG (Filesize: 102.52 KB)

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 12:07:52 AM
They are fancy as mate. We would screw a piece of broken grass knife to a stool or log etc. Also filed serrations onto a spoon for traveling use.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 12:15:07 AM
With coconuts being a little thin on the ground here I can honestly say that's not a job I've ever thought to use an axe for. :D  Looks like it's just the tool for it though.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 04:46:59 AM
With coconuts being a little thin on the ground here I can honestly say that's not a job I've ever thought to use an axe for. :D  Looks like it's just the tool for it though.

Yeah don't think I would ever have thought to crack a coconut open with an axe either :think: but now it's off to the store :D Not really, but if I am ever attacked by one I know my weapon of choice ;) Owe and it will go down :viking: ::) :rofl:

Congrats on the badge rishardh :cheers:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 01:33:46 PM
The only thing that would stop me are those counter tops.....they look expensive!

I use the blunt side of a machete to crack open coconuts.

Do you live somewhere that globalization missed?  :rofl:
Imported for sure, but I can get crappy quality coconuts at a number of shops........at a price that means I won't be using them for knife testing! :facepalm:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 03:28:50 PM
They are fancy as mate. We would screw a piece of broken grass knife to a stool or log etc. Also filed serrations onto a spoon for traveling use.

A traveling scraper...  brilliant  :salute:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 03:34:05 PM

Machetes works great too. The weight of the tool is what helps mostly. If you dont care about splitting it into two equal halves a baseball bat will work too.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 03:35:07 PM

Yeah don't think I would ever have thought to crack a coconut open with an axe either :think: but now it's off to the store :D Not really, but if I am ever attacked by one I know my weapon of choice ;) Owe and it will go down :viking: ::) :rofl:

Congrats on the badge rishardh :cheers:

:rofl:  thanks Poncho  :cheers:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 03:42:49 PM
The only thing that would stop me are those counter tops.....they look expensive!

I laid it on the counter for the pic. To crack it open I hold it over the sink with one hand and strike with the other hand. That way I wont look as if I peed on my self when the water pours out.

This brings up another interesting point. To select a good coconut you shake it and listen to the sound the water makes. The more the water content the better it is. I think that is nonsense though.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 04:02:07 PM

Do you live somewhere that globalization missed?  :rofl:
Imported for sure, but I can get crappy quality coconuts at a number of shops........at a price that means I won't be using them for knife testing! :facepalm:

I think the fact I don't actually like coconut might also have something to do with it. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 10:09:26 AM

I laid it on the counter for the pic. To crack it open I hold it over the sink with one hand and strike with the other hand. That way I wont look as if I peed on my self when the water pours out.

This brings up another interesting point. To select a good coconut you shake it and listen to the sound the water makes. The more the water content the better it is. I think that is nonsense though.

With my limited experience.......it seems the more water, the fresher.......?

Next question  :D - Don't catch and drink the water?

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 11:40:58 AM

From a dry coconut, I don't, by then all the flavour has gone into the edible part.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 06:53:47 AM

With my limited experience.......it seems the more water, the fresher.......?

Your logic makes sense  :salute:

Young coconut water taste sweet but the matured ones taste like soapy water, haha kidding. It doesn't taste sweet anymore. If I remember right it taste like vinegar.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 06:59:53 AM

Got to scraping them tonight. Most of it went in the freezer for later use. Made some thing we call 'coconut sambol' with the rest.

Axe8.JPG
* Axe8.JPG (Filesize: 114.53 KB)
Axe9.JPG
* Axe9.JPG (Filesize: 119.26 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85