Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What a strange store experience.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
What a strange store experience.
on: May 19, 2016, 01:40:02 AM
I visited Value Village earlier today, which is a second hand department store. I wasn't looking for anything particular, as I was killing time until the Chinese Restaurant Buffet opened up next door. As I walked by the books, something told me to stop (which I never do). I was literally pulled towards a book on the shelf. It was a book I couldn't see the title, but something was calling my attention to it. It turned out to be a good one...the history of the motorcycle, and it was only 5 bucks. Sold!

I continued my normal course, which is to go directly to the two glass cases they have located by the tellers at the front. This is where they keep their um...gems. I never find anything here...but it is always worth a visit as you just never know what you will find.

I spied a camera bag that was closed. It had a price tag of 12 bucks. I asked an employee to see the bag. She noticed my book and starts to look through it as I start to open the bag. I am blown away. This can't be!

With trembling hands (I kid you not) I gently take out the camera found therein and look it over. No, surely it cannot be? Can it?

I turn the camera over, and remove the camera case base...the top part is nowhere to be seen. I glance at the bottom plate...and I am floored.

You guys won't believe this...but I just found my old Olympus OM-10 which I gave away to a teacher's aid many years ago. The same camera that I wished I hadn't given away as I did have remorse about it afterwards. Real creepy as last week, I started thinking about that Olympus OM-10...and it shows up. Yeah, that is weird.

Here is the OM-10 back at home once again. I remember my dad buying that manual adapter for 90 bucks back in the mid 80's.

Still in great condition. Looks like the teacher's aid didn't use it much, if any.

What are the odds?

Ok...so after a book pulling me to it amongst a sea of other books, and finding my old camera, how could this get any better? Well, after being thunder struck about the OM-10, I spied two other cameras. One was a Canon Elan 7 for 19 bucks. This other camera doesn't look used at all. It also comes with a nice Canon Ultrasonic lens. Nothing fancy, but I can use it with my other Canons. For 19 bucks, that was a steal. Especially as I remembered drooling over the Elan 7 back in the early 2000's. So this camera is just the icing on a sweet and very surprising visit to the local Value Village.

:D  :tu:  :tu:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:41:30 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Re: What a strange store experience.
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:56:18 AM
Aaaah, this Olympus is a beauty!
Congratulations, exceptional story!
Tomcat
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 10:20:50 AM
You found your own camera, if I understood correctly?

Hey, this must feel great! :tu: :D
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:28:53 AM
You guys won't believe this...but I just found my old Olympus OM-10 which I gave away to a teacher's aid many years ago.

What are the odds?

I'd have to say the odds were very, very long !  Maybe it was Karma rewarding you for being nice all those years ago ?   :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:03:33 PM
No clue, but it was shocking to say the least. To start thinking about the camera, and then to find one, but not just any one...but your old camera. Freaky if you ask me.

As for that Canon, that was one of Canon's top film cameras just bellow the professional camera series. The 7E had the eye focus, and they came out with a minor upgrade in the Elan 7N in film's twilight days. I have a Canon A2E with the eye focus feature on it, and I found it a bit gimmicky. Lets just say the feature died with the Elan 7E. Thus finding the Elan 7 in pristine condition for less than 20 bucks is amazing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:08:41 PM by Chako »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 12:12:37 PM

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 03:41:07 PM
It's a weird and wacky universe! Glad you got it back.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 12:14:04 AM
Serendipity...  :ahhh

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 10:37:52 AM
:think:
Show content
I don't think this is true, because of conflicting wishes if nothing else. I just wanted to share this famous quote

Coelho.jpg
* Coelho.jpg (Filesize: 23.7 KB)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56