Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Handyman Vs. Evo S18

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Wenger Handyman Vs. Evo S18
on: May 21, 2016, 02:51:22 AM
I bought a secondhand Handyman off Ebay a couple years back.   It has three issues--the nail-nick saw, age (it was made in the early '80s or late '70s) and it's got advertising of a defunct company, thus irreplaceable.   I'm torn between two options--a used Handyman with the newest variant of the saw, or buying a new Vic Delemont Evo S18, with a locking blade.  I hear the new Evo scales are much more comfortable and slip resistant, but look stupid. It also has the superior Victorinox can opener with  screwdriver.  A normal Wenger Handyman looks like an SAK should, and is cheap, at $15 or less used.

Which should I get?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 02:59:49 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Wenger Handyman Vs. Evo S18
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 02:59:00 AM
Idk, I've had my eye on the new evo18 for a while now, it's litterly tool for tool as my custom alox Sak, I just don't like the funky grip, but as for the handyman, I don't like the wegner combo tools.. So, idk?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 03:07:07 AM
Are we talking about Evo or EvoGrip? I have an EvoGrip S18, and overall I like it. I prefer the Vic can opener, so that's a bonus. And don't forget it has the Vic reamer instead of that blunt Wenger awl. Your mileage may vary, but I like that change too.

Personally I don't think the scales look stupid. The yellow is great for visibility, and contrasts nicely with the black. I've carried and used mine quite a bit over the last year or so, and the only real complaint I have is the lock. Sometimes the lever hangs up on things when I retrieve it from my pocket (usually have it on a suspension clip), but the more annoying problem is the way it interferes with deploying the scissors. You have to be fairly deliberate with how you approach it or you might accidentally bend your nail back with misplaced leverage. It gets easier with practice, but remains my only real issue with the whole thing.

Unfortunately I don't have a Handyman to compare, but that's my 2 cents on the S18.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 03:33:04 AM
I have 'em both and have to say, the Vic Delemonts having the features from both lines makes it extremely cool (IMO) The scales look great to me and I don't even realize the difference when using it. It's a win win!

Vic S18, 18 and Wenger 18

Wenger Handyman

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:49:51 AM
My first Wenger was an an Evo18, and I love that knife. Honestly, since I have that, I've never bothered looking for a Handyman......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 10:04:46 AM
I have had a red Wenger S18 Evolution and a yellow Vic Delemont S18 EvoGrip. I am a sucker for the lock blade, even though it takes a monumental stuff up to cut yourself either way.

The can opener is not a big matter here, though I do like having the additional screwdriver on the Vic can opener. For my purposes either awl does what I need, though I do prefer the Vic awl.

I find both look and feel of both fantastic in the flesh, even the EvoGrip (which particularly appeals to my kids for some reason). The grip and feel of the EvoGrip does have an edge over the Evolution.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 04:59:00 PM
For what it's worth, I have a Handyman and love it.  Great knife!  However, in the long run, Vic is going to be able to cover a Delemont for repairs waaaaay down the road, but probably will run out of parts for the Wengers.  Plus all the reasons stated above, the Vic parts on the Wenger design are a win/win situation!  I like the Evo scales, but that's just my preference. :2tu:
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD