Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Locking Pliers Multi-tools.

Chako · 38 · 7505

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Locking Pliers Multi-tools.
on: May 21, 2016, 01:57:04 PM
The first locking pliers, invented in the mid 20's, came about because of a need. Because Vice-Grips were the first, many folks call any Locking Pliers Vice-Grips. I myself tend to do this...much like tissue paper is always called Kleenex around my house.

I won't bore you with the details. If you are however interested in the background history, please read the following link.

http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe40s/machines_12.html

It took a while for the locking pliers to advance further from the basic design. Those changes started to happen in the mid to late 90's when someone thought it would be a great idea to add extra functionality to the standard locking pliers model. Today, even that basic design has been tweaked and played with. You can now get a set of locking pliers that automatically adjust themselves. I have yet to see this feature combined with other tools in a multi-tool configuration as of yet...but I imagine something like this will show up in the future.

1997 Kershaw A100

To me, the Kershaw A100 is very iconic. It just may be the first of its type produced commercially. Introduced back in 1997, this long and sleek tool was produced in the United States by a Japanese company. As with many tools manufactured in the USA, quality is excellent throughout.

The A100 has a knife blade in a side saddle configuration. The main handle also holds several tools. Of interest is a small hacksaw blade which could be useful for those working with metal.

Besides the nylon sheath, there was also a nice black leather sheath which is now relatively rare to find.

For a time, Sears had a brand specific model sold in their stores.

Sheffield Crocodile (Date Unknown)

Like with any good design, copies will be produced. The Kershaw A100 was no different. Sheffield came out with the Chinese produced Crocodile. You may not be able to tell, but the Sheffield Crocodile is an attractive multi-tool as it has a beautiful swirl finish on the metal surface.

Note the Sheffield Crocodile does not have side saddle knife blade as with the original A100.

There are even different minor variations of the Crocodile.

1999 Leatherman Crunch

The Leatherman Crunch is one sleek piece of engineering. It is the most compact design out there, and  because of that, is the easiest to pocket carry. The whole design hinges on a broken hinge which snaps into place. This allows the Crunch to fold up into a tight package. There are people out there who have the skills of being able to one hand the Crunch open. I lack that skill, even though I tried for a time. The Crunch is a bit fiddly to set up...but I have to admire the design that went into this tool.

2001 Schrade ToolBox/Tough Grip series

There are 3 models in this collaboration between Schrade and Vice-Grip. There is the 5WR ToolBox, the the 6LC ToolBox, and the ST6 Tough Grip.

The 5WR ToolBox came out first in 2001.

Next is the 6LC ToolBox which came out in 2002.

That same year, Schrade also came out with the ST6 Tough Grip which differs from the ToolBox line in the number and type of tools on offer. Each model also have a different pliers shape...this tool is no different.

The ST6 Tough Tool also came with a nice molded plastic sheath.

2010 Gerber Grappler

Gerber came out with their version of a unique locking pliers design. They gave it their sliding players treatment.

2016 Irwin Vice-Grips

Irwin came out with a series of 3 Vice-Grips. Their models designations are 5WR, 6LN, and 5CR. All 3 feature different plier shapes.

I only have the 5WR model currently.

Much like the Kershaw A100, these feature a side saddle knife blade.

This concludes this short pictorial romp through some interesting multi-tools.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Re: Locking Pliers Multi-tools.
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 03:03:04 PM
Nice summary Chako. Thanks for the timeline. I will add that there is a Sheffield version with the exterior blade as well.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 03:52:24 PM
That is correct...I just do not have one.  :salute:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 04:14:48 PM
Both my grandfather and I use Vise Grips widely.   We use them as clamps and wrenches, and to get a grip on something.   I often EDC a pair of Petersen 6LN Vise Grips.  My grandfather and I both too call them the same--even though he and I both have offbrand (all made in the Far East and junk, mine messed up on a bolt) and Craftsman branded ones too (I suspect the latter may actually be made by Petersen as they're also USA made and of great quality, but he's had them since the '70s).

Is the Sheffield Crocodile hard to find or expensive? I don't see any on Ebay  I'm thinking about getting one as a beater tool for around the farm.   

I have the "new" Irwin Vise Grip 6LN Multiplier, and it was quickly replaced with a pair of Petersen USA Vise Grip 6LN (not a multitool, the regular pliers), and the Vise Grip currently stays in the bottom of my toolbox.   The blade was awkward, I often had to unscrew the adjustment screw with an Allen key to get the pliers to unlock, and the bit was always falling out of the driver.   I've been pleased with the combo of 6LN Vise Grips and a Swiss Army Knife.   I hope to find an affordable Schrade/Irwin one soon.   Putting all those people in such a small town out of work (according to the article, half the population of DeWitt!) gives me even more incentive NOT to buy a Chinese Irwin product!

I also still plan to get a Crunch too.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 04:23:50 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:19:25 PM
Great write up and pictures, Chako! Those old Kershaws are awesome, but I love the compact package and the overall form-factor of the Crunch. I don't have any locking pliers multitools...

Yet :D
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

wales Offline rrr47

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 07:17:49 PM
Here in the UK and Europe I assume, ITC made a copy of the Kershaw called the '071 15-in-1 Multi-tool'. I have never seen one except this article from a car magazine years ago.
P1120123.JPG
* P1120123.JPG (Filesize: 140.26 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 07:47:09 PM
Great pics and history Chako :cheers: I have a Irwin 5CR Multiplier on the way and I will try and get some pics of it and put on here to compare the differences :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 08:32:07 PM
The Crocodile has been discontinued for many years now. I don't know when exactly...but they were hard for me to find back in 2009.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 08:51:24 PM
Duplicate post.   Hit quote instead of edit.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 11:21:00 PM
The Crunch is a great mt. Never thought I'd find uses for locking pliers but boy have they proved me wrong. Can't beat the slim package of it either!
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 02:04:31 AM
The Crocodile has been discontinued for many years now. I don't know when exactly...but they were hard for me to find back in 2009.

This ^

The curved jaw version of the Sheffield Crocodile shows up on ebay occasionally, but not very often.  The straight jaw version ( a closer copy of the original A100) is much harder to find, in 3 years of looking I've only ever seen one for sale.

Craftsman sold a replacement set of tool components meant for the 45516, but of course they also fitted the A100.

There are also a couple more cheap copies of the A100, one labelled SnapOn "EuroTools", and the other Profi-Star "10 function in 1".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:16:12 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 03:16:30 AM
A dishonorable mention goes to the Silverline Crunch knockoff and yet I still want one.... :facepalm:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 06:26:33 AM
A dishonorable mention goes to the Silverline Crunch knockoff and yet I still want one.... :facepalm:

I forgot about the Silverline copy of the magnificent Crunch, and there is also an unlabelled copy of the Crunch that was marketed by Fosco.

Yadda, PM me about a Silverline if you really want one.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline MisterGizmo

Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 06:40:42 AM
Wow, I had no idea there were so many locking plier multi-tools, thanks for the great summary. The LM Crunch is the one for me, an amazing design, is compact and works great. My Crunch is 3 years old and is going strong.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 08:41:33 AM
Nice...

Can anyone explain the Kershaw / KAI connection to me?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 09:41:38 AM
Nice...

Kershaw is a brand of Kai USA Ltd., a member of the KAI Group, headquartered in Tualatin, Oregon, United States.  :think:

KAI brands:
Kershaw Knives: Pocketknives and sporting knives designed for every day use, camping, hunting and fishing
Zero Tolerance Knives: Premium knives developed in loose collaboration with custom knife makers for the law enforcement and military markets.[8]
Shun Cutlery: Handcrafted kitchen cutlery
Kai Housewares: Kitchen cutlery and household products
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:43:03 AM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 09:46:13 AM
Nice...

Kershaw is a brand of Kai USA Ltd., a member of the KAI Group, headquartered in Tualatin, Oregon, United States.  :think:

KAI brands:
Kershaw Knives: Pocketknives and sporting knives designed for every day use, camping, hunting and fishing
Zero Tolerance Knives: Premium knives developed in loose collaboration with custom knife makers for the law enforcement and military markets.[8]
Shun Cutlery: Handcrafted kitchen cutlery
Kai Housewares: Kitchen cutlery and household products
:salute:

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 11:10:35 AM
I have some Kai nail clippers - best ones I've got (and by a fair margin).

They are stamped: "KAI, Stainless, Made in Japan"

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 11:58:52 AM
I have some Kai nail clippers - best ones I've got (and by a fair margin).

They are stamped: "KAI, Stainless, Made in Japan"
I got scissors... all I can say is OMG :drool:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 10:11:15 AM
How is the Gerber Grappler? How far do the pliers open?

Charles.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 11:19:05 AM
I am not that big a fan of the Gerber Grappler. There are several things going against it as far as design. Because the pliers slide in and out, this restricts how wide the pliers can open. As you can see in the photos, that isn't much of a jaw spread. Furthermore, the location of the adjustment knurl isn't ideal for my big fingers to get in there.

The handles do open a little wider than shown in this following photo. I have adjusted them at such a point where I am able to close the piers with some small locking force. Although the handles may open a little wider, this does not affect how wide the jaws open.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 04:40:42 PM
Okay, not a contender. Thanks.

Charles.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 11:21:07 PM
 :salute:

us Offline tuckerdog1

Reply #23 on: April 07, 2019, 02:44:12 AM
Hello,

Bought this at a garage sale today. Was trying to find info on what this spring loaded hook thing is. The internet routed me to you folks. Thanks for any help.

Tuckerdog1

IMG_0912.jpg1.jpg
* IMG_0912.jpg1.jpg (Filesize: 199.79 KB)
IMG_0913.jpg1.jpg
* IMG_0913.jpg1.jpg (Filesize: 220.42 KB)
Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 07, 2019, 04:27:17 AM
Hello,

Bought this at a garage sale today. Was trying to find info on what this spring loaded hook thing is. The internet routed me to you folks. Thanks for any help.

Tuckerdog1

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around that tool. Is there a brand?  Do you have pics of the tool closed or pics of the other implements? 

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #25 on: April 07, 2019, 04:48:50 AM
That is the Sheffield version(as evidenced by the swirl polish finish). The spring loaded thingy is the locking pliers jaw release. :tu:

Edit:
How rude of me that I almost forgot.

Welcome to MT.o, tuckerdog1! :multi:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline tuckerdog1

Reply #26 on: April 07, 2019, 05:13:09 PM
Thanks for the info & welcome. It does say Sheffield, but no model number or name. I'd never seen a multi tool with locking pliers, so thought it might be good to grab them up. I'm by no means a collector, but visiting this site has been very interesting. I'll stick around and try and learn a thing or two if you all don't mind. I may ask some stupid questions.

Tuckerdog1
Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 07, 2019, 06:03:23 PM
Thanks for the info & welcome. It does say Sheffield, but no model number or name. I'd never seen a multi tool with locking pliers, so thought it might be good to grab them up. I'm by no means a collector, but visiting this site has been very interesting. I'll stick around and try and learn a thing or two if you all don't mind. I may ask some stupid questions.

Tuckerdog1
Most here are more enablers than collectors.  :whistle: The great thing is we are a very fun loving group that understands respect for sharp things as much as for each other.   :salute:  Welcome, Cool tool and great way to start your MT.org journey.  :tu:  Glad you found us and the info you were looking for.  :multi:  Now kick back, brouse around and see just what a bunch of nuts you've fallen in with.  :cheers:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #28 on: April 07, 2019, 06:28:30 PM

Tuckerdog1

Welcome!  Nice find.  It is one of the quirkier tools out there.  That is a Sheffield Crocodile! It's generally acknowledged to be a Kershaw A100 knockoff.  Both are now discontinued.   Not rare, but not too common.

Please make me cringe. I hate missing a good deal.  What was the princely sum you paid for this object d'art!
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #29 on: April 07, 2019, 06:45:32 PM

Tuckerdog1
You're certainly welcome, tuckerdog1! :cheers:

Yadda had some great info. I don't see them too often, but they used to be a poor man's Kershaw A100. However, from what I know, thr Sheffield is a good homage to the A100. :)

Most here are more enablers than collectors.  :whistle: The great thing is we are a very fun loving group that understands respect for sharp things as much as for each other.   :salute:  Welcome, Cool tool and great way to start your MT.org journey.  :tu:  Glad you found us and the info you were looking for.  :multi:  Now kick back, brouse around and see just what a bunch of nuts you've fallen in with.  :cheers:
Well said, Douglas! :iagree:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%