Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer X problems

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: Pioneer X problems
Reply #30 on: June 04, 2016, 05:25:31 PM
I put mine on ebay.  The backwards nail nick just ain't gonna work for me. It didn't bother me at all until I actually got the knife.  I'm so used to opening the scissors a certain way and it just doesn't feel right.  No worries though, I can still build myself a custom one day.  I'm planning on a single layer Alox Vic-scissor. 

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #31 on: June 04, 2016, 05:28:55 PM
Why do I feel like we are beta testing swiza all over again......   :facepalm:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #32 on: June 05, 2016, 03:35:39 PM
I disassembled a Pioneer X today and it also had a bent centre pin.  It was brand new and there were no noticeable problems with the action prior to disassembly.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: June 05, 2016, 03:45:03 PM

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #34 on: June 05, 2016, 03:45:42 PM
I disassembled a Pioneer X today and it also had a bent centre pin.  It was brand new and there were no noticeable problems with the action prior to disassembly.

Ah so it must be the rivet forming process for sure then.  Pivots too long or being pushed with too much force.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 05:28:38 PM
Looks OK to me. I took the center pin out last so there was no stress on it when I tapped it out with a 2mm punch.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 05:35:23 PM by GigaHz »

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 12:32:42 AM
*bump*

Any news on this?

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 02:37:56 AM
Last I heard it was being looked in to. I will ask and see what if anything has happened :)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Offline Omar Rapace

Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 09:21:38 AM
Last I heard it was being looked in to. I will ask and see what if anything has happened :)

I am also anxious to hear about the issue. I have been using my Pioneer X on a daily basis for the last 2 months with no issue but since I have 3 other never used ones (including an expensive 2016 damascus one) I would like to know if I made a mistake buying all these. Please keep us posted.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 06:50:35 PM
I haven't heard anything lately. In reality they do not owe me a explanation but would be nice if they let us know. If I hear anything at all I will update

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #40 on: July 15, 2016, 06:53:32 PM
I got in 4 for mod work, but haven't taken them apart yet.  If I notice anything I'll take pics.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #41 on: July 28, 2016, 05:59:53 PM
I did take apart one today and was super careful with the middle pin so I could examine it.  And it was indeed bent.  Not much maybe 5 degrees. 

The reason the middle pin bends and not the outer ones is the middle one bears most of the force of the backsprings.  So picture a force trying to bow out that pin while the pin is been compressed and formed... makes it curve inside.

So a fix would be to have a machine that holds the springs to relieve the strain while the rivet is being rivetted.

Note that this SAK worked fine, but maybe if it was bend more it could interfere.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:11:42 PM by Syph007 »

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #42 on: July 28, 2016, 06:20:18 PM
I did take apart one today and was super careful with the middle pin so I could examine it.  And it was indeed bent.  Not much maybe 5 degrees. 

The reason the middle pin bends and not the outer ones is the middle one bears most of the force of the backsprings.  So picture a force trying to bow out that pin while the pin is been compressed and formed... makes it curve inside.

So a fix would be to have a machine that holds the springs to relieve the strain while the rivet is being rivetted.

Note that this SAK worked fine, but maybe if it was bend more it could interfere.

My thoughts also. The only thing I worry about is after time the pin may continue bending and will eventually be so far out tool start loosing snap.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 10, 2016, 01:59:41 PM
hmm, so it seems the Pioneer X is a lemon due to a design flaw in the center pin? That's disappointing.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #44 on: August 10, 2016, 06:18:33 PM
hmm, so it seems the Pioneer X is a lemon due to a design flaw in the center pin? That's disappointing.

I forgot to also mention that the snap of it is somewhat dependent on the bent pin to be the right level of snap.  When I convert to rigid pivots OMG the snap is way too much like a guillotine.  In future I will probably modify the backspring to lessen that.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #45 on: August 10, 2016, 06:48:32 PM
So it all depends on what you get? Whether it's pre bent or straight on what you get? Or does it not matter, it's going to bend and be a crap snapper?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #46 on: August 11, 2016, 04:13:02 PM
So it all depends on what you get? Whether it's pre bent or straight on what you get? Or does it not matter, it's going to bend and be a crap snapper?
JR

More than likely. However I have noticed that it's getting better. Less than before. Like Syph said, it depends on where the bend is. If it's bent towards the tool=more snap, away=less snap.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #47 on: August 11, 2016, 06:04:41 PM
JR

More than likely. However I have noticed that it's getting better. Less than before. Like Syph said, it depends on where the bend is. If it's bent towards the tool=more snap, away=less snap.
Ok, knowing my luck if I got one the bend would be so bad the tool would just hang rather then snap.. I'd like to get a new sak, and I've been thinking this one or the EvoGrip thingy, I think a 16 :think: cause it pretty much a tool for tool as my custom, just smaller and not a alox , so in one case perfect but in others sucks.. Can't win..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #48 on: August 11, 2016, 06:40:54 PM

:facepalm:  Sounds more like an implementation problem, not a design flaw. When are these likely to fail...1 month, 6 months, a year, 5 years, 10 years?  Whenever they do fail, won't the Vic warranty will take care of it?

Not a lemon, I think the design is sound IMO.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: August 11, 2016, 06:46:21 PM

:facepalm:  Sounds more like an implementation problem, not a design flaw. When are these likely to fail...1 month, 6 months, a year, 5 years, 10 years?  Whenever they do fail, won't the Vic warranty will take care of it?

:like:

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #50 on: August 11, 2016, 09:38:21 PM

Really depends on where the bend is initially. At the top would be best, because as it would wear it would still have plenty of snap. I think switching to 3mm pins in all would correct this easily. Relatively speaking, less modifications to the tooling at Vic. 

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #51 on: August 11, 2016, 09:46:27 PM

Really depends on where the bend is initially. At the top would be best, because as it would wear it would still have plenty of snap. I think switching to 3mm pins in all would correct this easily. Relatively speaking, less modifications to the tooling at Vic.

:cheers:  I think I speak for us all when I say thanks to all you engineering guys that mod and research these problems for us.  :salute: :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 12, 2016, 03:00:27 AM

:cheers:  I think I speak for us all when I say thanks to all you engineering guys that mod and research these problems for us.  :salute: :salute:

:cheers: AGREED
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: August 12, 2016, 05:55:35 AM
So...let's say I wanted to add scissors to my Farmer...as long as I'm using hardened pivots with screws, worst case scenario would be the snap would be too strong? And to reduce snap I would slightly grind the flat surface that mates with the flat sides of the tang on the scissors? Hmmmmm....I may wait and just always carry a compact along with the Alox.

Hopefully Victorinox will address this concern and then triumphantly release the Farmer X with perfect snap and we can all go and buy it in every color!
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #54 on: August 12, 2016, 12:39:45 PM
I think this whole issue is overblown.  I bought 2 Pioneer Xs and they both had perfect snap.  When I disassembled one of them, it did have a bent pin.  I wouldn't have even known if I hadn't disassembled it.  There have been reports of poor snap, so I guess there were a few that were so bad the snap was affected, but they must be a rarity.  It's something that happens during assembly, and I don't feel there's any reason to believe it will get worse over time or fail.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: August 13, 2016, 04:23:30 PM
It's disappointing. This should not be a problem, and it needs to be fixed. I'm a super fan and all, but I won't sugarcoat the fact that Vic got the design of the Pioneer X wrong.

I don't do mods, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think there's a design flaw with the backspring and center pin combo they're using because that center pin gets bent. Either the backspring is too strong or center pin is too weak, I don't know. That's something they'll have to figure out.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:28:47 PM by shamus »

Offline redneckbear

Reply #56 on: September 05, 2016, 10:03:18 PM
Any update on this problem, please?  :drink:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #57 on: August 26, 2017, 03:29:18 AM
One more try, any updates on this problem?  :whistle:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #58 on: September 17, 2017, 04:40:34 PM
I've just been directed tho this thread, and I wonder if the pins are bending on disassembly, rather than assembly. The reason I say this, is that nobody seem to be mentioning any spraining of the liners, also when GigaHz dismantled his, he left the centre pin till last, so that it was fully supported until all stresses were removed. It does sound like the spring is a little over-tensioned though, unless of course there has been further development at the factory since this was highlighted to them . :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #59 on: September 17, 2017, 05:15:48 PM
Yes spring is too strong.  When I do a conversion with one I have to weaken it.   The pin isn't a super tight fit in the spring pivot hole and it definitely bows.  Without the bowing the speing would be too strong on stock models too.  You could demonstrate but usnf rod stock of stock size but a steel or something that won't bend easy and assmble with that.  It will turn into a nail breaker.  The first conversion I did the customer sent it back for me to weaken the spring so now I always do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85