Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why no love for Cold Steel?

Kampfer · 1137 · 66065

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Why no love for Cold Steel?
Reply #120 on: August 06, 2016, 01:54:39 AM
Growing up there was no internet so i had to get my knife info from tactical magazines like my dad's Soldier of Fortune , US Calvary and Brigade Quartermaster. I kept seeing Cold Steel advertised heavily as a BA knife. The one tanto style Def has is the one to be had. That and that Buckmaster...the 80s..what a time to be alive!

Great, now i need a cold steel san mai tanto.  :rant: :D ;)
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #121 on: August 06, 2016, 02:09:54 AM
Growing up there was no internet so i had to get my knife info from tactical magazines like my dad's Soldier of Fortune , US Calvary and Brigade Quartermaster. I kept seeing Cold Steel advertised heavily as a BA knife. The one tanto style Def has is the one to be had. That and that Buckmaster...the 80s..what a time to be alive!

Man, we had similar childhoods! :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Pacu

Reply #122 on: August 06, 2016, 02:19:49 AM

I remember those Gerber Legendary Blades adverts for Mark 1 and 2s.  :drool:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #123 on: August 06, 2016, 02:29:25 AM

I remember those Gerber Legendary Blades adverts for Mark 1 and 2s.  :drool:

I finally got one of those, was admiring it.... damn thing slipped out of my hand and did a hilt deep "sword in the stone" into the mattress between my legs!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

That was scary, but not near as scary as walking up front and telling my wife!  :dwts:  I told her, "I did something incredibly stupid, I was very sorry and I would never do it again"!

Well, she thought I was messing around on her and was so freakin' relieved that I had just stabbed the mattress that she hugged and kissed me!

Oh yeah.....played it perfect.  8)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:30:39 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #124 on: August 06, 2016, 08:49:36 PM
New 6" Hold out , a folding kitchen knife.
Time tested & proven blade shape and grind, very effective.
Just not sure its intimidation factor.

Peacent, what do you think of it?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:47:00 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #125 on: August 07, 2016, 01:30:04 PM

I miss the US Cavalry catalogue.  I have no idea how I got on their mailing list but all of a sudden one showed up at my house with my name on it back when I was around 16 or 17 years old.  Boy I was hooked!

A few years later when this cool new thing called "the internet" started gainin popularity I looked them up and there was so much more cool stuff.

Oh yeah, and I still need to find a Buckmaster.  Boy this thread is getting expensive fast....   :ahhh

Def 
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #126 on: August 07, 2016, 08:53:52 PM
My four Horsemen.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #127 on: August 07, 2016, 09:06:49 PM
Very nice!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #128 on: August 07, 2016, 11:33:50 PM

(Image removed from quote.)u

Dang, Kampfer! I am on my holidays now and can not post any pics (but I am taking dozens of them for when get back to routine)

Congrats on the HO I, it is one beast of a blade, and I said before it's my favorite XL of all.
I have had all models, variations and steel except for the L.E. Olive Green XL. I carry one more often than not and have two in each of our BOBs.

I love the simplicity and versatilty of such a plain, classic design and blade shape; as you said is just a time proven and useful profile. Add a neutral, all grips handle, less than 8 oz. and a slim, easy carry, and it's a true winner blade that you get. :drool:

Hope you like ir and carry it a lot, I can tell you it is the quintaessential kitchen folder, it cuts my veggies and meats like a true Chef's knife.
Keep us updated and see you soon again, I'll be sure to post my share of pics as well!
 :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #129 on: August 07, 2016, 11:51:18 PM
Those are pretty sweet.  I don't think I have had a CS folder since the only folders in their lineup was the Voyager series.  I had the largest tanto version that eventually got modified into the Gunsite knife.  I almost chopped off my little finger with it when I tried to flick it open in the reverse grip.  I can't stand half stops to this day....   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #130 on: August 08, 2016, 12:28:22 AM

(Image removed from quote.)u

Dang, Kampfer! I am on my holidays now and can not post any pics (but I am taking dozens of them for when get back to routine)

Congrats on the HO I, it is one beast of a blade, and I said before it's my favorite XL of all.
I have had all models, variations and steel except for the L.E. Olive Green XL. I carry one more often than not and have two in each of our BOBs.

I love the simplicity and versatilty of such a plain, classic design and blade shape; as you said is just a time proven and useful profile. Add a neutral, all grips handle, less than 8 oz. and a slim, easy carry, and it's a true winner blade that you get. :drool:

Hope you like ir and carry it a lot, I can tell you it is the quintaessential kitchen folder, it cuts my veggies and meats like a true Chef's knife.
Keep us updated and see you soon again, I'll be sure to post my share of pics as well!
 :tu:
I love how comfortable it carrys in pocket, how easy to deploy in three different ways (Wave, Stud & shake), I like how well it cuts especially for food prep. But its look, ... it looks exactly like a kitchen knife, I am just not sure about that.  :think:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:54:38 AM by Kampfer »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #131 on: August 08, 2016, 04:18:24 AM
I suppose that depends on your kitchen.   :whistle:

Def

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #132 on: August 08, 2016, 03:07:38 PM
The XL Voyager and the Eland are the only ones I'm likely to ever own, Voyager was old stock and the Eland is cheap.

If money was no object I'd own multiples of each  ::)

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #133 on: August 09, 2016, 07:26:31 AM
Looking at the recent product range and materials I have committed to get me a Cold Steel again. In the past I also had a Gunsite tanto and now all I have a some plastic Okapis.
I need to try out this Triad Lock and XHP steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Pacu

Reply #134 on: August 09, 2016, 06:41:22 PM
I went by Academy yesterday and they had the GI Tanto, Ti-lite, Bushman, Double agent, Kobun (almost bought  :D ) minituff and tufflite, tomahawk, gladius, and leatherneck.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #135 on: August 10, 2016, 02:14:30 AM
I went by Academy yesterday and they had the GI Tanto, Ti-lite, Bushman, Double agent, Kobun (almost bought  :D ) minituff and tufflite, tomahawk, gladius, and leatherneck.

Which one (s) went home with you?   :pok:

Def

us Offline Pacu

Reply #136 on: August 10, 2016, 05:06:54 AM
2 33 round glock 17 magazines and 300 rounds of 9mm.  ;)

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: August 10, 2016, 09:00:23 AM
Looking at the recent product range and materials I have committed to get me a Cold Steel again. In the past I also had a Gunsite tanto and now all I have a some plastic Okapis.

Being how I am, the Triad lock has spoiled every single liner/frame lock for me  :facepalm:

I hope our favourite shop in Sandton doesn't get Broken Skulls in certain other colours or I'll be in smurf.......can't afford a car and toys  :facepalm:  :rofl:
The fact that I'm considering paying for something with Steve Austin's name on it really hurts.......but I wants it!  :gimme:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #138 on: August 10, 2016, 10:07:54 AM

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #139 on: August 10, 2016, 01:29:03 PM
Being how I am, the Triad lock has spoiled every single liner/frame lock for me  :facepalm:

I hope our favourite shop in Sandton doesn't get Broken Skulls in certain other colours or I'll be in smurf.......can't afford a car and toys  :facepalm:  :rofl:
The fact that I'm considering paying for something with Steve Austin's name on it really hurts.......but I wants it!  :gimme:

Lovely car man, we had a Jimny till my wife wanted something bigger to carry kids suitcases in.
I think the Broken Skull looks fantastic on paper but I have settled on the Ultimate Hunter as my first new generation Cold Steel.

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: August 10, 2016, 03:17:53 PM
Excellent choice  :tu:

JMO - Plastic/G10 liner-less handle and a Triad lock is the best place to begin with a folding knife design.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #141 on: August 10, 2016, 04:48:21 PM
Has anyone been to Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville, Tennessee ?  Cold Steel has an impressive amount of floor space to show off their knives. They got all their swords, knives, axes, and accessories from CS.  :gimme:

us Offline Manny Sanchez III

Reply #142 on: August 10, 2016, 11:30:31 PM
I been thinking bout getting one of their machetes, to be honest.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #143 on: August 10, 2016, 11:34:15 PM

I can vouch for the both. I have a mini recon 1 and it is a tough knife. I didn't even notice a decrease in edge sharpness until 2 weeks of very steady usage. Used the Spyderco sharp maker to sharpen it and got it right back hair popping. The lock is solid. No play AT ALL! Go for it :tu:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #144 on: August 15, 2016, 07:16:34 PM
Holidays with CS...

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #145 on: August 18, 2016, 02:07:44 PM

My toys:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #146 on: August 19, 2016, 01:33:41 AM
Good stuff P!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #147 on: August 19, 2016, 11:30:48 AM
More CS nice stuff

My toys:

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #148 on: August 23, 2016, 02:18:26 PM
I have a hardcore Cold Steel folder but I am not carrying or testing it yet. Carrying slipjoints for now.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #149 on: August 24, 2016, 02:54:20 AM
:like:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Donations

Operational Funds