Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why no love for Cold Steel?

Kampfer · 1137 · 65640

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Why no love for Cold Steel?
Reply #600 on: November 10, 2017, 02:57:33 PM
the good ole Hold Out

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #601 on: November 11, 2017, 01:39:52 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #602 on: November 11, 2017, 05:12:03 PM
mmmm that Rajah :drool:
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #603 on: November 12, 2017, 12:45:10 PM
Cauliflower slayer

had to try those new shiny serrations on something organic     :D
My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #604 on: November 15, 2017, 01:24:51 PM
My toys:

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #605 on: November 15, 2017, 04:16:37 PM
Got my new Recon 1 XL in the mail yesterday. I just wasn't prepared for how huge these things are. LOL
recon1-xl-pioneer-x.jpg
* recon1-xl-pioneer-x.jpg (Filesize: 309.29 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #606 on: November 15, 2017, 11:43:00 PM
Got my new Recon 1 XL in the mail yesterday. I just wasn't prepared for how huge these things are. LOL

that's one of my favorites, a truly sexy and imposing blade
They are sometimes even scary to handle, indeed. If it's your first one, watch out for your fingers! Blades with that weight and mass act as a guillotine when the lock is released.   :ahhh

Also, if it's hard to press, work it out a bit or leave it with the blade semi open (90 degrees with the handle) overnight for a few nights,
That's always helped mine to get easier and smoother    :salute:
My toys:

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #607 on: November 16, 2017, 01:59:23 AM

They are sometimes even scary to handle, indeed. If it's your first one, watch out for your fingers! Blades with that weight and mass act as a guillotine when the lock is released.   :ahhh

Also, if it's hard to press, work it out a bit or leave it with the blade semi open (90 degrees with the handle) overnight for a few nights,

I know. I wear an XXL glove size, and this folder is HUGE in my hands. It's a beast. :D

It is a bit stiff, but I'll definitely work in over time. That's how my old AUS-8 Mini Recon was. It smoothed out through some use.

hr Offline styx

Reply #608 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:36 AM

I know. I wear an XXL glove size, and this folder is HUGE in my hands. It's a beast. :D

It is a bit stiff, but I'll definitely work in over time. That's how my old AUS-8 Mini Recon was. It smoothed out through some use.

From trying out CS folders earlier this year, I can attest that it really is a huge knife even in large hands

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #609 on: November 24, 2017, 12:29:27 PM
this thread cannot go to the second page!!

My toys:

hr Offline styx

Reply #610 on: November 24, 2017, 10:38:15 PM
finally, you've come back to CS. recently I've been attracted to the Recon Scout for some reason

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #611 on: November 24, 2017, 10:58:01 PM
finally, you've come back to CS. recently I've been attracted to the Recon Scout for some reason

a sturdy knife for sure, but I am partial to the SRK for those tasks   :tu:
My toys:

hr Offline styx

Reply #612 on: November 25, 2017, 10:41:06 AM

a sturdy knife for sure, but I am partial to the SRK for those tasks   :tu:

me too. that's what has me baffled

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #613 on: November 25, 2017, 02:34:31 PM
my favorite A/O

My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #614 on: December 04, 2017, 03:55:50 PM
In my pocket to return to normal life this week

My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #615 on: December 19, 2017, 02:09:57 PM
Since Nix's gifted knife (and a very nice one that is   :cheers:)  is soon to arrive and this one is the closest I currently have in specs and overall design, I ought to carry it a bit to do a fair comparison!

My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #616 on: December 28, 2017, 09:57:59 PM
while still in the honeymoon with the ZT, I came back to my roots today and shared love for a new Cold Steel that Kampf sent to me out of pure generosity,

enter the tiny but mighty Hold Out III   :ahhh

here amongst its bigger brothers, who now have a small kiddo to take care of. This one will definitely be EDCes as it has a reasonable size and sensible blade length to be used in public, unlike the big badass folding swords that are so fun yet so limited, as in usage and carry   :salute:

My toys:

hr Offline styx

Reply #617 on: December 28, 2017, 10:29:42 PM
nice collection

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #618 on: December 28, 2017, 11:05:53 PM
nice collection

and that's not all   :D
But Kampf's gift is my tinies Cold Steel yet. Small but deadly sharp, as usual per CS... :o
My toys:

hr Offline styx

Reply #619 on: December 29, 2017, 09:51:11 AM
i know that's not all. but the Hold outs are nice

00 Offline MTG

Reply #620 on: December 29, 2017, 10:56:32 AM
They are great looking knives......
Did you take out the thumbstuds or did they come with the nut zip-tied on?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #621 on: December 29, 2017, 02:56:36 PM
They are great looking knives......
Did you take out the thumbstuds or did they come with the nut zip-tied on?

well from factory they all have the thumbstuds, but the little one came with the nut mod from Kampf, which works both as a makeshift "wave" and as a thumbstud, a concept and idea originated in his mind
...he's nuts     :D
My toys:

00 Offline MTG

Reply #622 on: December 29, 2017, 10:03:35 PM
looks great! The Coyote BO looks really good and the serated ones as well :)

I also wonder what that little folder is in your shots seen on the far left, in post 609 above?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:04:56 PM by MTG »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #623 on: December 30, 2017, 07:08:43 PM
looks great! The Coyote BO looks really good and the serated ones as well :)

I also wonder what that little folder is in your shots seen on the far left, in post 609 above?

that's the extremely tiny SRM 681, a low weight, very thin and slicey folding knife that has a most excellent clip and very well thought out lanyard hole. Weighs barely over 30g, (an ounce), and has a tiny scalpel sharp 8Cr13MoV blade with a nice curvature that lends itself to detailed work and precise tasks.

It has a very smooth and easy opening even with those tiny thumb studs, and the lock is secure, has no blade play but releases very easily.
It is an ergonomic marvel, at least in my hands   ::)
Excellent to carry in the pocket or almost everywhere and cut things among public or in places with restricted blade lengths or strict knife laws

:salute:

I really recommend it
My toys:

00 Offline MTG

Reply #624 on: December 30, 2017, 10:54:08 PM
Thanks  :)

hr Offline styx

Reply #625 on: December 31, 2017, 10:41:25 AM
You'll go broke with his recommendations. He is a lover of all things practical and a founder of the pragmatist movement ;)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #626 on: December 31, 2017, 04:00:50 PM
You'll go broke with his recommendations. He is a lover of all things practical and a founder of the pragmatist movement ;)

hahah thanks. As for pragmatism, well, I could have cut these zucchini and carrots with my kitchen knife but wanted to test Kampfer's gift   :D
it did good, as do all Cold Steels with deadly sharp factory teeth on organic materials  :ahhh

My toys:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #627 on: December 31, 2017, 04:50:59 PM
Obviously their products are really ugly... or why else has no-one posted a picture of one yet?

Jokes aside
For me it is availability... Don't see many CS products here.

Finally reading through this thread....

:rofl:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

hr Offline styx

Reply #628 on: December 31, 2017, 06:34:21 PM

hahah thanks. As for pragmatism, well, I could have cut these zucchini and carrots with my kitchen knife but wanted to test Kampfer's gift   :D
it did good, as do all Cold Steels with deadly sharp factory teeth on organic materials  :ahhh

(Image removed from quote.)

so you have your kitchen knives when you are out and about? what if you're wandering about and spot a piece of wild bacon that is just daring you to eat it? that is why we need to test out our blades in controlled environments such as the kitchen so that we might know their potential limitations in the field

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #629 on: December 31, 2017, 07:08:55 PM

so you have your kitchen knives when you are out and about? what if you're wandering about and spot a piece of wild bacon that is just daring you to eat it? that is why we need to test out our blades in controlled environments such as the kitchen so that we might know their potential limitations in the field

well said!
Experimenting lets to knowing, knowing allows for preparing, preparing is key to winning!   :salute:
My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%