Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GoSun

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
GoSun
on: May 28, 2016, 11:12:30 PM
    Anyone ever use one of these GoSun Solar Cookers yet? I remember seeing these as a kickstarter and they seem to be doing much better.

• Fast:  Cook a meal in 20 minutes, reaching temperatures up to 550°F (290°C)
• Cooks When Cloudy:  You don't have to see the Sun to cook! The GoSun is so effective, almost no day is off limits!
• Portable:  Set-up in seconds and folds into a slim package. GoSun Anywhere!
• Fuel-Free:  No mess. No flames. No cost.
• Versatile:  Bake, Boil, Steam and Fry, Cooks Anything
• Safe to Touch:  Vacuum Insulation keeps exterior surface cool
• Two Year Warranty:  Durable, made of borosilicate glass (like Pyrex®)
• International Shipping Available: Simply enter your shipping address to check shipping costs

• Fast, Practical and Fuel-Free 
• Cook a meal in 20 minutes, reaching temperatures up to 550°F (290°C), even under cloudy skies. GoSun Sport is the next evolution in fuel-free cooking.
• Free US Shipping
• 30 Day Trial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePYamJVyrXY
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Re: GoSun
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 02:18:57 AM
Interesting but at $280.00 and being the size of a small microwave,they may find their market is very small.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 02:24:04 AM
I have looked at them before, and I am very curious about how well they work.  Unfortunately the price is a bit of a turn off, as for that kind of money you can get all manner of other stoves and have a lot of money left over.  Hell, even the Bio Lite costs about half that and it will charge your phone or camera while you cook lunch!

Even so, I really like the concept and I'd love to give it a try.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 06:42:13 AM
  They have a $25 off coupon for Father's Day, THANKSDAD + Free Shipping. 30 Day Money Back Guaranteed, 2 Year replacement of the Vacuum tube. Ordered one today.

One of the first things I might try is cooking store-bought frozen pizzas. Cut them into strips and see how it fairs. Might try a few other things too to cook, as cooking inside a single-wide trailer in Idaho means certain roasting. Thought I have an air conditioner (finally) I keep it at 74° F so as not to run the electricity through the roof.

Unsure what all it can cook, and if it can cook moisture rich foods. GoSun is working on a separate insert to boil water that has its own container so as not to introduce thermal shock on the vacuum tube itself. Supposed to be available later this year.

Will give an update on how well it cooks and such when the time comes. GoSun sold a lot of stuff on their sale. And you can subscribe to get a $20 coupon off an order too, later on. So one could use that to purchase another cooking tray.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 03:13:54 PM
Like the look of it 8) but not the price :ahhh

Let us know how it does :cheers:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 03:20:28 PM

+1 :popcorn:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 05:11:39 PM

+1 :popcorn:

YOLO  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 11:50:39 PM
That's what we want to know from you :D I trust a MTOers opinion and experience way more than peeps on youtube :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 04:42:36 AM
For sure, I'm really looking forward to hearing how well (or not) it works for you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 07:19:12 AM
  Thought the BioLite was about the same price? Did anyone do a review of it? If so, I must of missed it in my absence.

Yet in areas where fire is not allowed, this item would work. It's even supposed to work in the winter sun, and I know that charging via solar panels in the winter months can be a challenge. Then too, the bigger the solar panel the more light it gathers, so perhaps the size of these reflectors might offer a similar advantage.

There is a mini-version for $80, big enough to roast 2 fat ol' wieners.  :drool:

Is funny, I throw the solar panels on the dashboard when using the smartphone for GPS navigation. Phone sits in the windshield cradle and the panel is recharging the phone - even on cloudy days - using the automatic port.

Would be good if the unit arrived before the next camp out, but it's not even been packaged up yet. Of course I cannot go cause of at least one job. Keep hoping for a way out for the last weekend of the month, as the church has a yearly Men's Retreat campout for 3 days. This year it's supposed to be Fish Lake in Oregon, and I could get re-baptized during the same event.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:22:38 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 10:24:53 AM
  Wonder how they can have solar batteries in these, so they can cook even at night. Heard about some odd sort of wax that could retain heat for 8 hours, but surely there has to be a gimmick to it? Thought there's no way I could afford one of these unless I hit big $$$$ on the lottery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzyXye7rir8
¬ Outback in Idaho

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 10:27:02 AM
  Can it really be THAT easy??

https://youtu.be/flOB2m9HITA?list=PLB7maRae508Tvm3MfzZDzOzXB1hCbs8NW

https://youtu.be/RhrcNB_JfEw?list=PLB7maRae508Tvm3MfzZDzOzXB1hCbs8NW

https://youtu.be/fTLx9HPQqv4?list=PLB7maRae508Tvm3MfzZDzOzXB1hCbs8NW

https://youtu.be/C0TxTKI3zVM?list=PLB7maRae508Tvm3MfzZDzOzXB1hCbs8NW

I clicked on one of those links.
Was distracted from the product when I saw him handle raw chicken and then eat capsicum with the same hand.
Probably my loss however I don't think I'll bother watching the other videos.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 12:54:17 AM
  Thought the BioLite was about the same price? Did anyone do a review of it? If so, I must of missed it in my absence.

Yet in areas where fire is not allowed, this item would work. It's even supposed to work in the winter sun, and I know that charging via solar panels in the winter months can be a challenge. Then too, the bigger the solar panel the more light it gathers, so perhaps the size of these reflectors might offer a similar advantage.

There is a mini-version for $80, big enough to roast 2 fat ol' wieners.  :drool:

Is funny, I throw the solar panels on the dashboard when using the smartphone for GPS navigation. Phone sits in the windshield cradle and the panel is recharging the phone - even on cloudy days - using the automatic port.

Would be good if the unit arrived before the next camp out, but it's not even been packaged up yet. Of course I cannot go cause of at least one job. Keep hoping for a way out for the last weekend of the month, as the church has a yearly Men's Retreat campout for 3 days. This year it's supposed to be Fish Lake in Oregon, and I could get re-baptized during the same event.

The standard GoSun model is listed at $279.
http://www.gosunstove.com/collections/solar-ovens/products/gosun-sport

The standard BioLite is listed at $129.
http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/biolite-campstove

Unless you are taking about the Basecamp which is $299, but that is a whole different ball of wax.
http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/biolite-basecamp

You are right though, about the GoSun working when there are fire bans.  You can see some of my experiences with the standard Biolite stove here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,54472.0.html

Def

Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 07:01:47 AM
Hmm... Guess I lost interest in other charging devices when I got the SunTactics solar charger.

Wouldn't a capture device attached to any stove give the ability to recharge? Something like that, being magnetic, would be more universal.

Sent from me Pocket Parrot using Tapatalk

¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 12:48:52 PM
Honestly, I don't know enough about thermodynamics to say, but I will say that the Biolite is designed to do two things well, and that's burn very hot and keep that heat centralized and away from the sides.   If that is important to the process (I imagine keeping heat from the electronics is important, as is generating enough heat to convert to electricity) then I'm not sure a snap on capture device would really be that effective.   At least, not the way this one appears to work.

I wonder if you could replace the oven tube on the GoSun worth a solar panel and charge it in a fraction of the time?

Def

Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 11:46:49 PM
  Supposed to be here around Friday, coming from Ohio. Now if I can find a way to get out of merchandising this weekend... could join my fellow church members at the Men's Retreat this year and bring it with me.

Probably won't be able to go, 7 months as a PTer and no vacation time for anyone but FTers.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 12:14:37 AM

The standard GoSun model is listed at $279.
http://www.gosunstove.com/collections/solar-ovens/products/gosun-sport

The standard BioLite is listed at $129.
http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/biolite-campstove

Unless you are taking about the Basecamp which is $299, but that is a whole different ball of wax.
http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/biolite-basecamp

You are right though, about the GoSun working when there are fire bans.  You can see some of my experiences with the standard Biolite stove here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,54472.0.html

Def

The BioLite Bundle would be the way to go if I were to get one. Bundles are often cheaper in the long run too.

¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 02:27:04 AM
I would have, but I don't drink coffee so the coffee maker is kind of worthless to me.

Just so you know, BioLite just announced yesterday that they have a pizza over attachment for the Basecamp model.

http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/pizza-dome?utm_source=prod_announcement&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pizzadome_launch&utm_term=20160623&utm_content=pizzadome&_bta_tid=42929538371054717889070474169100452429418560463809054611999167858869760

Def

Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 06:24:38 AM
 Waited till 4PM for UPS to show up. Went to work and wasn't even 30 minutes later UPS arrived and delivered the GoSun - received text message. had to wait till I got home, sun was headed over the horizon, trees in the way - the pizza I picked up is just gonna have to wait for another day.

Unboxed stuff, found rough edges similar to Wave & Surge rails. Grabbed a diamond coated file and sanded down the cooking tray and outer flaps of the GoSun reflectors - they are polished on the inside.

Snapped a photo of the inner area of the vacuum tube and got this. :D

Perty cool huh? :o

Unboxed, protective film removed, friend coupon showing a $30 discount (SOLAR30), showing the multitool I used for unboxing and removing stray protective film - Skeletool CX. So, when a solar merit badge ever comes about I think I'm in. :D

Was invited to a baptism party tomorrow, but it's at 5PM and that's right smack in the middle of my work evening. But this would be a perfect time to cook some hot dogs via solar if I can somehow manage to squeeze it in - but don't think that's going to happen.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 06:26:20 AM
  There's also a facebook group for GoSun Cooking, the GoSun Community Kitchen.

¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 07:45:43 AM
That thing looks awesome :o Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it after you have had a chance to use it :cheers:

Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 08:31:38 AM
  Forgive me. I cleaned the vacuum tube, after my heels stopped barking. This made a SERIOUS difference, wouldn't you say? :D Used Simple Green dishwashing liquid and the included scrubbertool.

Found another use for two older tools. The PST's medium screwdriver bit fits perfectly for the set screws of the vacuum tube mount. Just the right width and thickness for the set screws. And the Smith's Pocket Sharpener came in handy for deburring the sides a wee bit better than the old file method. Lay the ceramic sharper down some and twist the angle for an easy glide back and forth, lots more aluminum comes off but the edge becomes beveled. :D

Does anyone have any experience with silicone baking mats? Am assuming this solar oven can get to 500° F. They need to be cut in 4 inch wide strips so fiberglass reinforcement might not be a good idea since those will get cut.

Can use aluminum foil, some claim they cook directly on the stainless steel tray - it is recommended to use foil. But I don't like wasting material like aluminum foil. Can only reuse it so much and it's an economical waste that can be by-passed. Will try to find something, but can use foil as I have some that's not been used in years.
¬ Outback in Idaho

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 09:38:33 AM
There is an outdoor cook badge, you could get that one.   ;)   :angel:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 06:51:31 PM
I have used and like silicone baking mats, but the drawback to them is that they are floppy. Cooking things like cookies on them is great until you try to take them out!

You really have me interested in this GoSun solar oven.  I think I might have to give some serious thought to looking more closely at them.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: June 26, 2016, 05:51:10 AM
There is an outdoor cook badge, you could get that one.   ;)   :angel:

Definitely need to try out for that one Xelks :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 05:51:55 AM
With all this talk of food and cooking it is making me hungry :drool: :D

Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 06:27:12 AM
  Trying to come up with a hamburger recipe. Thought about meatloaf, but meh & blek. Not sure what I'll do, might just mix the burger up with onions and bell pepper and call it good. Bought some red and white potatoes, though will go down near the end of the tube where it cooks hotter.
  Might throw in some carrots, mixed veggies, or something. I do have a pizza to try but i might wait on it for another time. And I've got chicken in the freezer to figure a dish out for.

Figured I might try a hamburger recipe tomorrow if I can get a good break in between the two jobs. Want at least an hour to cook, and some time to enjoy the meal too.

Didn't get home till late evening, so didn't even get a chance to cook some hot dogs. :whistle:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 07:27:37 AM
  There are some yahoos buying the evacuated solar tubes off Ebay in lost of 10 for $100 and trying various configurations for cooking. Most videos I've seen lack a decent reflector. Was going to post the photos but they would of been an injustice to the GoSun review that will be coming in.
  And this one yahoo isn't too bright... he kept sticking his fingers where it was hot. One would of though after a while he might of learned his lesson, right? Wrong!  :rofl:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyQ-ZU2GU_k

Maybe someone could start a video in hilarious copy-cat moments or something and throw his videos in there. I'm like, he's not going to do that ... the guy isn't too bright.

As for the thermometer thing, ya know, people just aren't too bright. One could get a thermometer on a copper wire, send it down under the cooking tray. Heck, could even make a permanent mounting for such, and attach the reader to the handle. I haven't even used mine and thought of the idea.

Now back in the days of age when people cooked with iron stones they didn't have thermometers and heat control like we've got now. But, if things needed cooled down or warmed up one would adjust the vents and damper. So if the heat is a bit too much, and was noted in the manual or online, pull the tray out some and allow more heat to escape. Again, am thinking about trying the long thin thermometer idea if can find one that's not too cumbersome or heavy. Would prefer one that did not use batteries, more like a meat thermometer in effect. Am sure they exist. Maybe if I can find a decent one can share it (with names of those that also helped find them, and mention of MTO) with the developers.
  Still ... one is going to have to learn to monitor and adjust, which comes with practice.

Despite the yahoos trying to get around the price issue by using spare parts and using crappy reflectors, the evacuated solar tubes do function. Seen videos of people cooking in 22°F to barely above freezing and cooking right along - although having crappy reflectors does cut back on what the solar cooker could really do!

Biggest issues of the vacuum tubes is thermal shock and something hitting them when cooking or being hauled around. Where I live there's pine trees. In pine trees there are squirrels who like dropping pine cones on stuff. Well... dont put your cooker anywhere withing pinecon squirrel tossing range and you should be good. Won't stop jealous neighbors with a bb gun, sling shot, or kids throwing balls.

Regular solar cookers are great. However they are also bulky, heavy, and more difficult to adjust the reflectors and sun direction. For it's size, the GoSun is more practical - although it is also limited in cooking space.

There is a much larger version coming out that one can roast two whole chickens in, but it is also going to be expensive. Is talk that there is going to be a thermal battery that essentially will retain heat when the son goes down to help cook further - but those have to reach a certain temperature too. Have heard of a wax substance back in their kick start days that they were trying to use, and was environmentally friendly and wouldn't combust.

From what I've read there are two glass surfaces, have have a borosilicate glass. if a fracture were to occur, the borosilicate glass would emit a white powder and a replacement tube would be required. So there is a safety feature there, and GoSun offers a free 1st replacement tube if it occurs under warranty.

The outer area of the inside tube has a copper plating that is what retains the heat. Am sure it's more than just copper, but there is a heat element there like most solar water heaters use. And the tip looks to have a metal cone and there are four spacers that fit in between both glass surfaces. This is probably a stability structure. That area needs protected. Am wondering if ShoeGoo covering that area might help?

Pending what free time I may have will determine when I get something posted once on the cooking aspects. At the latest am guessing I should have something cooked on Monday. :D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 07:30:50 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 07:46:00 AM
 :cheers:

:rofl: to the video

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00