Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GoSun

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: GoSun
Reply #90 on: August 14, 2016, 09:59:21 PM
  Lemon Pepper Chicken Drumsticks in the GoSun right now. Wasn't enough room to put anything else in, with 5 or 6 drumsticks. Thighs are better for that, can sneak in taters, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, and such. Wished the GoSun people would early release the Solar Dogger! I could be cooking veggies on the side right along with it. :rant:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Reply #91 on: August 14, 2016, 11:27:58 PM
  Had a slight delay with our internet service, then later some stray dragon came and ate all the drumsticks - got some shots off first. :D

Slightly hazy with the forest fire smoke, some light clouds today.

Cooked 50 minutes this time, was what I had the watch timer set for beef the other day.

Thermometer check, first handle end then middle.

Inside, tray is out, chicken been setting maybe 10 minutes. Thermometer check again.

Then the dragon came by and devoured all the meat, then consumed the chicken juices straight from the tray.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #92 on: August 15, 2016, 07:48:05 AM
  SOLAR30 gets you a GoSun Sport at $249. FreeBagAugust to get Carry Bag at no charge, although expires the end of the month.

If money wasn't that big of an issue I'd order another GoSun Sport. One to cook the meats in, the other for the veggies.

Their Grill is the monster that could do it all, but that's $599 minus the SOLAR30 discount. 2nd batch is on pre-order and expected to be fulfilled this Fall.
¬ Outback in Idaho

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #93 on: August 15, 2016, 01:02:34 PM
I'd love to give this one a shot, but the price still seems a bit hefty.  I'd like to give it a shot in different weather types and see how it really works.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #94 on: August 16, 2016, 10:21:07 PM
 :drool:  Chicken Breast, Ms Dash Lemon Peppered, Basil, Black Pepper. Added fresh Zucchini, Tomato, Pepperoncini. 50 minutes, then opened handle on end for another a few more minutes to dry out the meat some. Brought inside to let simmer inside.

Want a close-up? :D

¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #95 on: August 16, 2016, 10:52:54 PM
Too many vegetables.... :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #96 on: August 17, 2016, 12:09:25 AM
Too many vegetables.... :P

Def

:rofl:  Flavourings! :twak:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #97 on: August 17, 2016, 09:51:01 AM
  Silicone ware came in today from Amazon. Thought the orange baking mat was going to be a more colorful color of orange. Ahh well.

The dinky muffin pans are revered on the GoSun Community Kitchen page so I might give them a try or two at some point. Am more interested in the cutting of the baking mat to fit the tray. This will facilitate cooking without the need for oil or grease. This is food grade, BPA free, and what not. Not going to get the liner cut & trimmed tonight, too tired if I want to do a good job.

¬ Outback in Idaho

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: August 17, 2016, 01:56:33 PM
This thread is still really interesting. Living at approx 63° north in coastal climate (read: cloudy and rain is the norm) I'm not in the market myself, but good to see how the technology really works.  :popcorn:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #99 on: August 17, 2016, 10:02:49 PM
This thread is still really interesting. Living at approx 63° north in coastal climate (read: cloudy and rain is the norm) I'm not in the market myself, but good to see how the technology really works.  :popcorn:

I'm n very interested to see how well it might work in more northerly latitudes.   Obviously you can't expect much for four months of the year in the Arctic Circle but I am curious to see how well it would do in a Canadian winter.

Def

Reply #100 on: August 17, 2016, 10:19:16 PM

I'm n very interested to see how well it might work in more northerly latitudes.   Obviously you can't expect much for four months of the year in the Arctic Circle but I am curious to see how well it would do in a Canadian winter.

Def

That might have to require a serious employment change, a female companion who's wealthy enough, and something to entice me to relocate to test one out. Or... you could offer up a trade with a Canadian GoSun Distributor. Winters can be long. :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #101 on: August 18, 2016, 12:17:11 AM
  Cut a silicone mat to fit inside the GoSun Sport tray. This facilitates cooking without the need for oils or grease, and makes it easier to clean up afterwards. That is the theory anyhow, and seems widely used at the GoSun Community Kitchen.

Had cut the silicone mat 4 inches wide, then trimmed the edges.

Next measured the silicone mat, did the cuts, washed it, then put inside the cooking tray.

So, to perfect the next liner here's some tips:
 • Don't get the orange mat, it looks like a long piece of cheese in the tray
 • Cut 3.75 inches wide if you want a flush to the tray edge mat
 • Cut 4.00 inches wide if you want a 1/8 inch overlap - does not alter the effects of the cooking
 • Cut the tabs with a small V cut if you want a better fit
 • Wash the mat off afterwards to remove any coating and pen marks

Lay the trimmed silicone may lengthwise, push in the ends first, then fold the tabs inwards of the tray. You can still use cooking spray, oil, grease, butter, lard if you want.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #102 on: August 18, 2016, 02:02:20 AM
  Well, a use bug discovered me. First was the rotating mount that has a bit too much slack or is poorly designed, which allows the handle end of the solar cooker to droop down. When pulling the tray out food juices can drip down on the reflector - which I always wiped up quickly.

Was giving the GoSun Sport a clean over before storing it in the bag I recently purchased, and noticed this odd markings... scale perhaps?? Bad aluminum polishing??

It started out like this originally, which this is happening on the far end's bottom reflector.

The middle looks a lot like this now... which has gotten worse over time. Now I've only purchased the GoSun Sport this last June, on the 17th of 2016. Supposed to have a warranty on it, so posted this on their facebook page and the GoSun Community Kitchen to get feedback.

Close-up on the middle spotted area

Another angle

¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #103 on: August 18, 2016, 02:05:50 AM
  Any experts on the forum that are good at this sort of thing and know how to remove this offending whateveritis and can offer advice on restoring the reflection that I'm losing out on?

The top side of the reflectors are fine, so am guessing this issue occurred from food drippings and heated reflectors.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Pacu

Reply #104 on: August 18, 2016, 02:53:59 AM
Just read all 4 pages...this would work very well here in Texas. If i had one of these when i was in scouts... :dd:
:like:    :MTO:

Reply #105 on: August 18, 2016, 03:39:49 AM
  Got OCD with a Dremel, a few polishing pads, MAAS polishing compount, a lot of rags, and think I went a bit over the top. :rofl: :ahhh :whistle:

I should of just left it alone, now have a mess and I smell like MAAS and I just took a shower before all of this.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #106 on: August 18, 2016, 03:41:16 AM
  Which this shouldn't affect the light reflection abilities. It just doesn't look as sexy. If it does affect cooking, I'm going to be pounding on the door of their business come next week.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #107 on: August 18, 2016, 08:59:33 AM
  It is obvious I got a sub-par reflector in that the clear coat was so inferior that normal food juices had eaten through to the aluminum underneath. Somehow I'd like to remove that crusty, bubbled area an get a smooth polished spot, then find some sort of sealant spray to put over the top to protect it.

The areas that i polished still look reflective but the stain or crust looks bad. Not expecting this to hold back the effectiveness of the solar oven any. Thing is I bought this on June 17th and it's already got an issue. GoSun could be kind enough to replace the reflector panel(s) and i can send what i have back but am not going to hold my breath any. Little do they know how popular this site is. >:D Especially with search engines. :pok:

More views of the scarred clear coating. Guess I'm the first to have reported this issue. I haven't the foggiest idea what caused this cause I always wipe the reflectors off, keeps bugs & critters away, and keeps my reflectors shiny - like my multitools.

Put some MAAS Metal Polish on the two locations. You can see the evident area that is affected once the vacuum tube module was removed.

This is about as shiny as I was able to get it this evening using a Dremel tool, MAAZ, and Dremel polishing compound. Tore through 3 polishing felt pads and still wasn't able to get rid of that crusted area.

But this still has reflectivity on it, minus the crusted outer ring.

I are a noob when it comes to polishing though. And what to use as a sealant (clear cote) after it's kind of been repaired? Will the sealant smooth over the crusted areas ya think? Suggestions, comment, poking fun at?
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #108 on: August 18, 2016, 02:45:58 PM
I wonder of this is the result of heavy use? Most camp stoves and items are intended only for occasional use.

Def

Reply #109 on: August 18, 2016, 06:41:49 PM
  Many others use there GoSun Sports every day, and one woman in Montana uses it several times a day.

If there is a flaw/bug/issue in something it usually ends up finding me. Swear it's a curse.
  Even when I beta tested software for prevalent companies I had this motto: If there is a bug it will find me. And I found some notorious, hard-to-find bugs in software. One that affected the floppy disk controller chip was tossed out as not reproducible. After about 8 months to a year in release Symantec got back to me and apologized - the bug was notoriously duplicated by end users. Symantec replaced the motherboard on my PC, and gave me some gifts to help smooth things over.

But, you know, I'd like flawless experiences just like the next person - I really do. The issue with the reflector was probably due to poor craftsman ship, and was probably made in China. The stability of the mount causes the vacuum tube to lean towards the handle end. That in turn leaks juices out onto which ever side the owner wants to use, and it leaks onto the bottom reflector. When carrying the GoSun Sport inside or to a shaded area the juices leak out due to the tray's design.

The tray has a center threaded screw attachment that one screws in a cleaning attachment. This helps remove back-on debris from inside the tube. Others have replaced this cleaning option with a sponge on a stick. So there's that center hole. It needs a plug for when not in use cause juice flows through that and to the bottom of the vacuum tube.
  Also there are two holes at the very far end of the tray, just above the center mounting hole, that when carrying the unit to a more shaded area for unloading causes juices to flow past the end of the tray into the vacuum tube. Unsure why the developers put the holes in there, but it looks like no matter how hard one tries food juices will get onto the reflectors.

Since I wiped the reflectors down when I noticed spillage, and not had any acidic issues from what I've cooked, why on Earth did whatever I cooked cause the clear coated surface to of scarred and was eaten through? A GoSun developer on the GoSun Community Kitchen, Matt Gillespie, claims to of never seen this issue before. So guess I stand alone on the issue ... for now. :-\
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #110 on: August 18, 2016, 11:30:10 PM
  Today was the first time cooking with a silicone liner. The taste was a lot different without the Pam cooking spray. The liner does hold the juices in better, though I'm not sold on the idea yet.

Chicken did get cooked thoroughly :drool: though it did taste different. Not bad different, more like there is something missing different. Used no cooking spray, no grease, no oil. Only the juices contained in the rice cups & the chicken itself.

Rice was not thoroughly cooked in an hour though. No big surprise there, was a test.

¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #111 on: August 18, 2016, 11:32:17 PM
  Can anyone recommend a self-adhesive reflective tape that I can use to repair the surface areas on the reflector?
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #112 on: August 19, 2016, 11:04:40 PM
  This HVAC Tape from Nashua came recommended for home solar reflector repair and/or fabrication. It does work, though am tempted to get some self-adhesive Mylar sheeting material to get back more of the reflectiveness.

Closer up

¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #113 on: August 19, 2016, 11:06:37 PM
  Tempted to get an Aluminum Polishing Kit from Harbor Freight, and various grits of sandpaper to remove the crusted area. Or find someone to redo the one panel as it sits attached. No reply from GoSun yet.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #114 on: August 19, 2016, 11:12:03 PM
  Cooked eggs, Lil Smokies, the last piece of Sam's Choice sausage in the GoSun Sport today.

Used cooking spray on the liner as a test. The silicone liner holds in more liquidy foods, and with eggs I didn't want a mess. Sprinkled black pepper on the bottom, added the various sausages. Broke three eggs on the tray edge and put inside the tray. Cut up a white and purple potato over that, and sprinkled more black pepper over the top. Cooked 40 minutes, and the egg texture was way more to my liking - scrambled yet still moist.

From right to left  :drool:

¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #115 on: August 20, 2016, 02:41:34 AM
Looks good!

I'm a bit surprised that GoSun hasn't gotten back to you already.  The tape is a good plan though.

The white ring makes me think one of two things- one is simply the coating as you suspected.  If that is the case then theoretically cleaning whatever coating is on it and getting down to bare metal should solve the issue.

If there isn't a coating on it then it could be corrosion on the aluminum, which is really what it looks like to me.  That's a bit more serious, although it probably shouldn't affect much, except perhaps absorbing a few rays rather than reflecting them.  I would think overall the loss would be negligible, but then I haven't used one of these to know if marks like that would leave a large enough cool spot.

If that's the case, I would probably see about using a bench grinder fitted with a cloth wheel to see if it can be polished up again.  If it is corrosion it is probably only on the very surface, and should be easy enough to polish out on a good sized machine- I don't think you will get the overall consistency with a Dremel sized bit.

That's just my best guess- it would still be nice to hear from the manufacturer.

Def

Reply #116 on: August 20, 2016, 06:10:13 AM
  Was thinking of getting an aluminum polishing kit from the new Harbor Freight that came in, if they have one. And probably get some very fine + sand paper. Sand down the crusted ring spots and the bare aluminum first, then go about polishing the reflector with a cordless drill and attachment & rouge.

At first I thought that perhaps when I rested the tray on the reflector to take photos might of been the cause, as there is a raised portion on the handle side created by the silicone seal. But if that was the case then I would suspect an entire length of affected area would of been created, more so at the far end - as the far end, which would be the hottest, was not affected.
  The tray rests on the silicone seal on one end, and the tray end would be contacting the reflector on the other end. What was in between would of bee radiated heat. If there was a clear cost of some inferior nature then wouldn't most of the area affected be at the far end instead of the middle??

Someone suggested that Dawn dish washing liquid was the culprit, but I don't use Dawn. Have been using Simple Green as it's supposed to be nature friendly. And I used a sponge. And I've cleaned the entire reflector & tube with the stuff and only the bottom reflector in those two areas are affected.

I've only recently cooked with tomatoes, and they were sliced and laid in above the tray. And I already had the issue before cooking the tomatoes. Pepperoncinis perhaps was the culprit? Zucchini?? Meat? Personally think it was a defect in the reflector since no one else has had the issue.

Was set out to find some self-adhesive silver Mylar sheets. Then I could cut what was needed, peel, apply. Would be a cheap fix that would last until the material got to scratched up. Sadly not one store in our area has any - most don't even know what Mylar is. :ahhh

Think the polishing idea is best. Fix the two spots, see how that works out. If it does good I'll have a plan in case it happens again. Thanks for the input & feedback, Boss Def. Very much appreciated to hear from someone of your esteem. :D Whilst the others only lurk in your stead.
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #117 on: August 20, 2016, 06:51:15 PM
I don't know if I'd go that far- and honestly I am just guessing at what is wrong, and telling you how I would go about fixing it.  You don't want to know how many horribly failed projects there are in my wake, so I'm not sure how much I would listen to me if I were you!   :ahhh

Fruit acids may have been an issue- I know fruits (and some vegetables) can be highly acidic, but I have to wonder if the exposure was long enough to have made that much of a mark.  If that's the case then polishing should make a difference, although I'm not sure a drill is the best way to do it either.  I think maybe a random orbit polisher might be a better choice if you don't have access to a mounted grinder type polisher. 

Def

Reply #118 on: August 23, 2016, 09:58:01 PM
  Met up with the Schwann's driver today going through our neighborhood. Got some Alaskan Cod and some flavorful shrimp, Went inside and loaded up the cod, put the GoSun out on top of my car, came inside to do computer stuff.

40 minutes later they came out terrific! I should of put some fries in there too. :drool: Anyhow, here's some photos of a quick meal from the sun. :D

And a teaser video ... tun up the volume and LISTEN TO THE SIZZLE. :drool:
  https://youtu.be/OJU9od6RLEc
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:59:22 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #119 on: August 23, 2016, 10:50:28 PM
If I ate seafood my mouth would probably be watering at the sight of that!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%