Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MacGyver 2016 TV Series - Which SAK?

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Re: MacGyver 2016 TV Series - Which SAK?
Reply #180 on: October 22, 2016, 04:32:15 PM
Great use of the awl last night to puncture a bottle of hair spray for self defense purposes in last nights episode.  :cheers:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #181 on: October 22, 2016, 05:22:47 PM
Great use of the awl last night to puncture a bottle of hair spray for self defense purposes in last nights episode.  :cheers:
Yes -- AWLSOME scene! The guy he sprayed recovered from it much too fast though.

I counted at least three, probably four different SAK in use . . .
Climber, Super Tinker, Deluxe Tinker and probably a 2-layer Tinker

I wonder how he fits them all into his skinny jeans pocket?

This program is more like Mission: Impossible than the old MacGyver.

John
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:24:18 PM by jalind »
John

my Offline Everdying

Reply #182 on: October 22, 2016, 07:14:27 PM
cept the ending was kinda stupid.
for someone who picked a lock with a bobby pin earlier on, yet got completed frustrated when he couldn't open that jewelry box nor drawers with the mysterious key.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #183 on: October 22, 2016, 08:04:46 PM
cept the ending was kinda stupid.
for someone who picked a lock with a bobby pin earlier on, yet got completed frustrated when he couldn't open that jewelry box nor drawers with the mysterious key.

Maybe - I thought he was just checking if it fit any of them . . . frustrated because he doesn't know what lock it's for. Locks like the one he opened with a bobby pin are easy. Just need a paper clip and a small flat-tip screwdriver to keep a small amount of pressure on turning the cylinder.

John

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #184 on: October 22, 2016, 09:20:09 PM
somehow my day went better without watching this tragedy
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #185 on: October 22, 2016, 09:56:47 PM
somehow my day went better without watching this tragedy
Like the other episodes it's heavily laden with "Movie Physics".

John

my Offline Everdying

Reply #186 on: October 23, 2016, 05:02:21 AM
"modern physics" has nothing on mac.
another wtf moment is when he had time to take out his knife, remove the toothpick and then jam it into the barrel of a gun with pinpoint precision...
all in quicker time before a trained assassin could fire it off.

hr Offline styx

Reply #187 on: October 23, 2016, 10:59:34 AM
well I have a theory that who ever is behind this show got stoned and watched MacGruber so now they are trying to replicate that

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #188 on: October 23, 2016, 12:49:37 PM
"modern physics" has nothing on mac.
another wtf moment is when he had time to take out his knife, remove the toothpick and then jam it into the barrel of a gun with pinpoint precision...
all in quicker time before a trained assassin could fire it off.

Yeah - he jammed it into the ejection port - impossible when a pistol is in battery as the port is completely closed with the breech locked - needed to jam the hammer provided it wasn't a "hammerless" (requiring equally improbable precision). I had to replay that sequence several times to verify what I thought I'd seen. Got the name of the show into the script though!

John

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #189 on: October 23, 2016, 02:33:44 PM
Don't you hate it when you see something impossible being done.
Maybe it's just me but they are way over using the SAK's, the original MacGyver didn't use a SAK in every episode.

hr Offline styx

Reply #190 on: October 23, 2016, 05:10:43 PM
impossible in this way often turns to dumb. if it were a a sci fi show then impossible would be hilarious. why don't we have a drinking game with this version of Mac

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #191 on: October 23, 2016, 11:45:43 PM
Screenshots of Season 1, Episode 5, "Toothpick" . . .

It's obvious they're using an array of SAKs and sometimes different ones in different takes from different perspectives for the same action, which is a production design continuity error.

Three layer with corkscrew; looks like a climber; using tweezers to pluck hair from drain . . .

He's using the back layer Phillips to open the electric razor; looks like a Super Tinker . . .

Same razor disassembly scene with different take from different perspective. Now using the in-line Phillips on an Explorer . . .

Deluxe Tinker with awl deployed to puncture hair spray can . . .

Followed very quickly by its toothpick being wedged into the rear of a pistol's ejection port, which is physically impossible as the pistol is in battery, its user having just racked the slide to simultaneously chamber a round and cock the hammer.

Borrows a bobby pin from the damsel in distress, and uses it with tweezers to pick a door lock on the train.

Unclear which model he's using here as he's opening the door to attempt removing it from its track, but appears to be a three layer Super Tinker or Climber.

Ought to be using the Explorer for this, but instead he's using the can opener on a Huntsman (layer next main blade is a wood saw)!

Another continuity error with two takes from different perspectives for the same scene use two different models. The one on the left is a three layer Super Tinker, but the one on the right is four layer (Deluxe Tinker, Explorer, or Huntsman).

Offers up his three or four layer (too wide for two) SAK to Jack if he wants to crawl down into the undercarriage of the hurtling train engine . . .

In the epilogue, he uses what looks to be a three-layer Super-Tinker or Climber to cut some string to hang the key around his neck.

I don't plan on doing this for every episode. It's broadcast in 1080i and I resized the screen captures to half (960 x 540) for upload. Saw enough examples of numerous different models plus the two continuity errors.

John

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #192 on: October 24, 2016, 01:48:09 AM
Yeah, the true MacGyver didn't need three or four different sak's during one episode and like some have said, sometimes no sak at all.

That is kinda ridiculous and can't believe they have done that!  Maybe getting paid more from Vic or something is the reason.  IDK.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #193 on: October 24, 2016, 06:04:55 AM
Victorinox is a major sponsor and is listed in the credits. No need for ad spots as they're getting enormous product placement time. I'm not certain how much they sponsored the original series, if at all, and I suspect it was zero, at least at the beginning of its seven year run. A number of Wenger knives were used.

Just read here that CBS ordered the rest of the 22 episodes for a complete season. Ordering only a handful is typical for a new series. Allows early cancellation if it bombs in the Nielsen Ratings at a much lower cost, only paying for a half-dozen or so episodes.

http://deadline.com/2016/...on-orders-cbs-1201837567/

While IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes ratings can be of value to see if something is what you would like to watch, they don't count for much when it comes to TV program cancellation. The Nielsen Ratings are about the only thing used to decide whether or not to cancel a program as they determine how much can be charged for ad spots during the program (including opening and closing ads), and it shifts dynamically as a program's ratings go up or down.

Some notes about the series season and episode run time:
They're running two episodes shorter than the current standard 24 episode season (which has shrunk over the decades). I'm also watching run time now. The latest episode five (Toothpick) had less than 40 minutes total run time at 39:26, including credits and the preview for episode six. Episode four (Wirecutter) was a little more normal at 41:20 minutes. This appears to be slightly shorter than six to eight years ago when I was recording Numb3rs, another CBS hour time slot program, which typically ran about ~42:30 minutes (with variation). These could be shorter than average as I didn't see the first three and will need to record a few more. Run time has gotten much shorter over the decades. If you feel like you're watching more commercials than before, you are. They're currently about 30% of the time slot.

If you missed any of the first three and want to see them, don't wait until next Summer (in USA). They will most likely be rerun during upcoming holiday weeks. The norm is rerunning them in sequence of original air date.

John

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #194 on: October 24, 2016, 10:17:36 AM
All hail jalind! :cheers:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #195 on: October 29, 2016, 02:57:17 AM
Mac just held up and used a 6+ layer WENGER!!!!!!  I saw the Wenger Universal Wrench in several shots....could have been a Delemont but in one shot it looked like it had the old smooth scales.

Oh yeah, the episode name was Wrench!!   :D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:00:55 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #196 on: October 29, 2016, 04:24:05 AM
Is it a Wenger Toolchest? I looked on SAKwiki and couldn't find anything else similar that looked like it.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #197 on: October 29, 2016, 04:49:54 AM
Could it be either of these?

I would be surprised if it is the old Wenger... That means breaking tradition and use an actual model not in production

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my Offline Everdying

Reply #198 on: October 29, 2016, 10:55:43 AM
its interesting how they thought it was better to chase the ghost - who had just existed the truck via the passenger side - by going thru the same way instead of just jumping out the back which was faster...all just for an excuse to arm the explosives.

its also interesting how a top hacker when asked how many files there were - just said hundreds going back years...when most would be quite specific...maybe a ctrl-A? :P

hr Offline styx

Reply #199 on: October 29, 2016, 01:37:11 PM
this show hurts my brain. just the bending of those paper clips is enough to send me off the rocker

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #200 on: October 29, 2016, 02:21:43 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I would be surprised if it is the old Wenger... That means breaking tradition and use an actual model not in production (Image removed from quote.)

Hard for me to imagine them using a discontinued. For the camera under the door he used a 5-layer with a Victorinox logo on the scales to disassemble the cell phone. In one frame it had a top layer Phillips opposite . . . not a magnifier . . . but a wrench. Had to look at a few frames and can barely make out the sculpted scales. It's a Delemont Evolution S557 (I've got an EvoGrip S557).

Prologue: Climber

1/3rd through; haven't finished it yet. What got my attention was the black-out folder with the thumb button!  :o

John
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:23:27 PM by jalind »
John

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #201 on: October 29, 2016, 03:54:05 PM
You can see the Vic logo is printed on and in white, plus the handles are ergonomic. Thumbs up for the Delemont!

I would be surprised if it is the old Wenger... That means breaking tradition and use an actual model not in production (Image removed from quote.)

Hard for me to imagine them using a discontinued. For the camera under the door he used a 5-layer with a Victorinox logo on the scales to disassemble the cell phone. In one frame it had a top layer Phillips opposite . . . not a magnifier . . . but a wrench. Had to look at a few frames and can barely make out the sculpted scales. It's a Delemont Evolution S557 (I've got an EvoGrip S557).

1/3rd through; haven't finished it yet. What got my attention was the black-out folder with the thumb button!  :o

John

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #202 on: October 29, 2016, 04:33:29 PM
You can see the Vic logo is printed on and in white, plus the handles are ergonomic. Thumbs up for the Delemont!

John
Haven't watched it yet, but thankfully recorded the episode for watching later... might have to bring out the evowood s557 just to fiddle with while watching :facepalm:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #203 on: October 29, 2016, 05:33:27 PM

John
Haven't watched it yet, but thankfully recorded the episode for watching later... might have to bring out the evowood s557 just to fiddle with while watching :facepalm:

Other than the Climber in the Prologue, and a Spyderco (???) lock blade OH folder near the beginning, he uses the Evolution S557 throughout. His last use confirms what it is without any doubt. I'm curious about the OH blackout folder with thumb stud and pocket clip, and why they didn't use a SAK. Could be something as inane as the SAK Wrangler wasn't on set or they couldn't find the SAK, and they couldn't delay shooting (TV production schedules are very tight), and it's what one of the crew had in his pocket. Sheer speculation, but many times these kinds of things have an entirely innocuous explanation.

John

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #204 on: October 29, 2016, 06:22:05 PM

John

Other than the Climber in the Prologue, and a Spyderco (???) lock blade OH folder near the beginning, he uses the Evolution S557 throughout. His last use confirms what it is without any doubt. I'm curious about the OH blackout folder with thumb stud and pocket clip, and why they didn't use a SAK. Could be something as inane as the SAK Wrangler wasn't on set or they couldn't find the SAK, and they couldn't delay shooting (TV production schedules are very tight), and it's what one of the crew had in his pocket. Sheer speculation, but many times these kinds of things have an entirely innocuous explanation.

John
The folder blade looks like a sebenza... studs  instead of thumbhole... but then again, I'm not well versed on folders

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #205 on: October 30, 2016, 01:14:34 AM
I love it!!  Great to see the Evos get screen time, especially the big ones!!

Mac just held up and used a 6+ layer WENGER!!!!!!  I saw the Wenger Universal Wrench in several shots....could have been a Delemont but in one shot it looked like it had the old smooth scales.

Oh yeah, the episode name was Wrench!!   :D
Barry

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #206 on: October 30, 2016, 03:51:22 PM
Yep it's a Delemont Evolution S557, see the Vic toothpick? I missed that watching it on the TV.
Capture.JPG
* Capture.JPG (Filesize: 20.82 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #207 on: October 30, 2016, 04:14:02 PM
I thought Episode 5 was pretty good (on the train), so I decided to continue but Ep6... :facepalm:
Show content
Redirect the blast of an explosion into a confined space (sewers), seriously?
Why didn't they surround the truck when the bomber was inside? And why did the tough as nails, super combat sharpshooter boss lady not shoot him when he was running off? Seriously, that need for cliffhangers is deranged.

The only positive thing was when he dissolved the bomb, that was pretty cool.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #208 on: October 30, 2016, 05:37:54 PM
I thought Episode 5 was pretty good (on the train), so I decided to continue but Ep6... :facepalm:
Show content
Why didn't they surround the truck when the bomber was inside? And why did the tough as nails, super combat sharpshooter boss lady not shoot him when he was running off? Seriously, that need for cliffhangers is deranged.

Suspension of Disbelief is required in copious quantities for the new MacGyver. Check logic, and all knowledge of Physics and Chemistry at the door before entering  :D

I didn't mention this before as it wasn't SAK related. The man MacGyver keeps mentioning was his "CO" (aka Commanding Officer) turns out be a Sergeant First Class (E-7), sometimes also referred to as a Platoon Sergeant. This is a senior NCO, but by no means or under any circumstances can any NCO hold a position of command. Only a Commissioned Officer, and in some rare cases a Commissioned Chief Warrant Officer, can hold a command in the U.S. Army. They completely botched that one. NCOIC, Team Chief, Platoon Sergeant, or some similar title would have been correct, but not ever "CO".

John

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #209 on: October 31, 2016, 11:20:09 AM
Show content

Suspension of Disbelief is required in copious quantities for the new MacGyver. Check logic, and all knowledge of Physics and Chemistry at the door before entering  :D

I didn't mention this before as it wasn't SAK related. The man MacGyver keeps mentioning was his "CO" (aka Commanding Officer) turns out be a Sergeant First Class (E-7), sometimes also referred to as a Platoon Sergeant. This is a senior NCO, but by no means or under any circumstances can any NCO hold a position of command. Only a Commissioned Officer, and in some rare cases a Commissioned Chief Warrant Officer, can hold a command in the U.S. Army. They completely botched that one. NCOIC, Team Chief, Platoon Sergeant, or some similar title would have been correct, but not ever "CO".

John
You made me read up on US-military ranks :salute: That was a Major error :facepalm:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%