Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MacGyver 2016 TV Series - Which SAK?

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Re: MacGyver 2016 TV Series - Which SAK?
Reply #240 on: January 22, 2017, 07:45:51 PM
I think Mac would benefit from a Spirit. Also I tell people to put their brains away and enjoy the show for what it is.  :whistle:

Probably good advice and a secret for enjoying this series...but it is hard for me to do since I came along in a pre-TV time when broadcast media meant radio and brains and imagination were needed.

OK, I'll stop and hop off the soap box.   :)

I probably just need to admit that I am not pre-disposed to enjoy the new series and let it go at that...at least I can read through this thread for SAK info related to the new series and will most likely enjoy that!

Thanks for distilling and offering the key to enjoying the new series!  I believe it is good advice.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #241 on: January 22, 2017, 08:06:37 PM
I think Mac would benefit from a Spirit. Also I tell people to put their brains away and enjoy the show for what it is.  :whistle:
I have way too much brain and there is not enough space to store it while watching that show... so, I started re-watching Burn Notice :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Danjo

Reply #242 on: January 24, 2017, 09:07:31 AM
It's just not the same character. None of them are. They'd have done much better saying that this was his kid or something instead of trying to present him as the same guy. I've watched several episodes, but it's a no go for me. I'll stick with the original.
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #243 on: January 24, 2017, 09:37:14 AM
It's just not the same character. None of them are. They'd have done much better saying that this was his kid or something instead of trying to present him as the same guy. I've watched several episodes, but it's a no go for me. I'll stick with the original.

That's exactly my feelings too. They had a great opportunity to make a good and modern continuance of the show, and not just a lame attempt to franchise the name and make a non-believable rerun of the original altering the original characters personallities.
For those who watched and remember the original show's ending, Mac found out he had a son, Sam. He left Phoenix and head out on his motorcycle with Sam to "somewhere else..."
They could just pick it up where it was left and make the new character out of Sam Macgyver instead of Mac, he was an awful lot like his dad, so it would have been believable enough. Maybe this way they could have gotten RDA to make some appearances now and then. I bet they would have had one heck of a lot better audience than what they have...  :-\
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:39:10 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Danjo

Reply #244 on: January 24, 2017, 04:48:00 PM

That's exactly my feelings too. They had a great opportunity to make a good and modern continuance of the show, and not just a lame attempt to franchise the name and make a non-believable rerun of the original altering the original characters personallities.
For those who watched and remember the original show's ending, Mac found out he had a son, Sam. He left Phoenix and head out on his motorcycle with Sam to "somewhere else..."
They could just pick it up where it was left and make the new character out of Sam Macgyver instead of Mac, he was an awful lot like his dad, so it would have been believable enough. Maybe this way they could have gotten RDA to make some appearances now and then. I bet they would have had one heck of a lot better audience than what they have...  :-\

Absolutely. There were several ways that they could have done this better and they chose none of them. I was thinking the same thing about the RDA appearances if they had merely done a "next generation" show. It could have brought old and new audiences together. The younger folk could have had their faster paced action show, and the rest of us could have occasionally enjoyed a visit from our old friend. Too bad.

The way they did it, was actually divisive. It makes one have to choose who they prefer. It's like a younger generation rejecting the older rather than uniting them via continuity. I dislike the new Hawaii Five-0 for the same reason. McGarrett will always be Jack Lord to me. Next thing they'll do is remake Columbo or Magnum P.I.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:52:14 PM by Danjo »

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #245 on: January 26, 2017, 01:05:39 PM
The way they did it, was actually divisive. It makes one have to choose who they prefer. It's like a younger generation rejecting the older rather than uniting them via continuity. I dislike the new Hawaii Five-0 for the same reason. McGarrett will always be Jack Lord to me. Next thing they'll do is remake Columbo or Magnum P.I.

I never rated the original Hawaii Five-0 that highly, so I was open to the idea of a remake.  But the one thing about the original show that was undeniable perfection was the theme tune, the greatest TV theme of all time.  And for the remake they messed with it!  If you take something that's perfect and mess with it, you're guaranteed to make it worse.  So I can't get past the opening titles of the new version  >:(

Columbo or Magnum PI remakes, I really hope not.  Columbo without Peter Falk?  Inconceivable!

It makes no sense to me that they keep remaking things that were great the first time round.  Like Ghostbusters for example.  How are you going to improve on the original?  It would make more sense to remake things that were badly executed originally.

us Offline Danjo

Reply #246 on: January 26, 2017, 03:26:31 PM

I never rated the original Hawaii Five-0 that highly, so I was open to the idea of a remake.  But the one thing about the original show that was undeniable perfection was the theme tune, the greatest TV theme of all time.  And for the remake they messed with it!  If you take something that's perfect and mess with it, you're guaranteed to make it worse.  So I can't get past the opening titles of the new version  >:(

Columbo or Magnum PI remakes, I really hope not.  Columbo without Peter Falk?  Inconceivable!

It makes no sense to me that they keep remaking things that were great the first time round.  Like Ghostbusters for example.  How are you going to improve on the original?  It would make more sense to remake things that were badly executed originally.

I agree completely (except I liked the original Five-0). Spin-offs and continuations can and do work, but reboots rarely do unless the character existed in some other format first, i.e. novels like Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan, James Bond, etc. and the new movies/TV shows are just reinterpretations of the original source material. When the original source, however, is a TV show that is so strongly identified with a particular actor (and a wildly successful show to boot), it's doomed to failure because the comparisons will never stop in the audience's minds. If the new MacGyver had been a son or something, then we wouldn't be screaming, "The Mac I know would never do that!" constantly. We'd simply say, "Well, he's different from his dad, but who isn't?" and enjoy the show if it was done well enough.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #247 on: January 26, 2017, 04:14:06 PM

I agree completely (except I liked the original Five-0). Spin-offs and continuations can and do work, but reboots rarely do unless the character existed in some other format first, i.e. novels like Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan, James Bond, etc. and the new movies/TV shows are just reinterpretations of the original source material. When the original source, however, is a TV show that is so strongly identified with a particular actor (and a wildly successful show to boot), it's doomed to failure because the comparisons will never stop in the audience's minds. If the new MacGyver had been a son or something, then we wouldn't be screaming, "The Mac I know would never do that!" constantly. We'd simply say, "Well, he's different from his dad, but who isn't?" and enjoy the show if it was done well enough.

Some things were not meant to be repeated..."Book 'em Dano!"

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #248 on: February 12, 2017, 05:39:05 AM
Okay, just watched the latest episode, #15 Mag glass.

Did I miss it or what?  I didn't notice any mag glass used!  I seen at the start when the inline philips was used and thought to myself "cool I think that is an Explorer" even before I noticed what the episode was called!  LOL  Since the Explorer is my fav, I was kinda excited to see how he used the mag but must have missed it! 

I did get up a couple of times for only a minute or two so did I miss it???

Thx.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #249 on: February 12, 2017, 06:09:26 AM
I might get sent to an island for this but I like the Five-o remake and have watched it from the beginning. It is another to file under turn you brain off to enjoy. And I was a fan of the original and grew up watching reruns. :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Danjo

Reply #250 on: February 12, 2017, 09:32:40 AM
I might get sent to an island for this but I like the Five-o remake and have watched it from the beginning. It is another to file under turn you brain off to enjoy. And I was a fan of the original and grew up watching reruns. :whistle:

To each his own. I just wish they'd change the names. No reason this new guy couldn't have been Mac's son or something.

As to the SAK use, it all feels like it's for show in the new series. The original Mac used a bunch of different SAKs (17 identified) throughout the show's run. Of those identified, he used the Tinker (including the regular, small and super) 21 times, and the Spartan (including the Standard) 24 times. He wasn't showy about it. Half the time you couldn't tell what SAK it was, just a red handle with a blade. It was a tool, not a plot point. I almost get the idea that the producers of the new series are just winking at the audience every time he pulls one out.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #251 on: February 12, 2017, 10:57:41 AM
Watching "magnifying glass" now actually. Look at the scene in the abandoned apartment its how he funds the dusty boot print.
 ??? Not sure how that works. SAK mag glass is awfully small, better suited to detail work like splinters and curcit inspection. Using one to inspect dust patterns on a dirty floor is awfully far fetched.

As for what type...its a magic climber that sprouts  random tools from other models as needed.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #252 on: February 12, 2017, 08:01:47 PM

To each his own. I just wish they'd change the names. No reason this new guy couldn't have been Mac's son or something.

As to the SAK use, it all feels like it's for show in the new series. The original Mac used a bunch of different SAKs (17 identified) throughout the show's run. Of those identified, he used the Tinker (including the regular, small and super) 21 times, and the Spartan (including the Standard) 24 times. He wasn't showy about it. Half the time you couldn't tell what SAK it was, just a red handle with a blade. It was a tool, not a plot point. I almost get the idea that the producers of the new series are just winking at the audience every time he pulls one out.

+1000
I couldn't have said it better myself. This new reboot is just a gloryfied show case for Victorinox sak's and all its versions and tools. Its not the spirit of what MacGyver was with the assistance on occasions of his trusty sak. On this one its more like the sak is the main character and Mac his trusty sidekick  :rant:
I gave this up on ep.13 and that was way too late IMO.

That recent advertising for a Mercedes van with RDA is way more MacGyver than this reboot, and he uses a 3 layer Vic to cut a wire at the very end in a split second shot, and that's enough for what's needed.
The sak is just a tool to help him to achieve a solution to something his brain had thought of, not a magic entity that's going to solve all trouble for him!
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Danjo

Reply #253 on: February 12, 2017, 08:14:10 PM

+1000
I couldn't have said it better myself. This new reboot is just a gloryfied show case for Victorinox sak's and all its versions and tools. Its not the spirit of what MacGyver was with the assistance on occasions of his trusty sak. On this one its more like the sak is the main character and Mac his trusty sidekick  :rant:
I gave this up on ep.13 and that was way too late IMO.

That recent advertising for a Mercedes van with RDA is way more MacGyver than this reboot, and he uses a 3 layer Vic to cut a wire at the very end in a split second shot, and that's enough for what's needed.
The sak is just a tool to help him to achieve a solution to something his brain had thought of, not a magic entity that's going to solve all trouble for him!

Yep, that was a great advertisement! It was the real return of MacGyver.

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #254 on: March 05, 2017, 07:57:41 PM
SAK fan but not even trying to watch- Im an old fashioned guy, once the original is over, hard for me to suspend believe, adapt to the obvious
( money making )change...
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #255 on: March 11, 2017, 04:11:55 PM
Season 2 opener surprise...Mac upgrades to a Spirit  :o
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Danjo

Reply #256 on: March 11, 2017, 04:46:50 PM
Season 2 opener surprise...Mac upgrades to a Spirit  :o
Yep, This new guy is just an extended commercial for Vic products.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #257 on: March 11, 2017, 06:01:31 PM
Watching "magnifying glass" now actually. Look at the scene in the abandoned apartment its how he funds the dusty boot print.
 ??? Not sure how that works. SAK mag glass is awfully small, better suited to detail work like splinters and curcit inspection. Using one to inspect dust patterns on a dirty floor is awfully far fetched.

As for what type...its a magic climber that sprouts  random tools from other models as needed.

:rofl: That's hilarious.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #258 on: March 11, 2017, 06:04:28 PM
I think I'm only up to Episode7 Season 1 and I'm not feeling especially compelled to continue.  Is ANYONE enjoying this show?  Seriously, lemme know. 
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline TonySal

Reply #259 on: March 11, 2017, 07:46:15 PM
Wouldn't bother....
join KNIFE RIGHTS

hr Offline styx

Reply #260 on: March 11, 2017, 09:35:34 PM
stopped watching quite a few episodes ago
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #261 on: March 11, 2017, 10:49:42 PM
I think I'm only up to Episode7 Season 1 and I'm not feeling especially compelled to continue.  Is ANYONE enjoying this show?  Seriously, lemme know.

Mate, if you loved the Real MacGyver (or good series for that matter), don't bother...
I've endured up until Ep.12, wishing and hoping for it to get any better... but finally gave up...   :-[
You are better off watching the original again IMO

hr Offline styx

Reply #262 on: March 12, 2017, 12:34:41 PM
Do you think that a show like Sledge Hammer! could work today?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #263 on: March 12, 2017, 12:52:33 PM
I made it to episode 4 .........  :td: :surrender:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline TonySal

Reply #264 on: September 29, 2017, 07:10:55 AM
Oh no!  Mac is starting up again on CBS!  According go my dumb google notification thing.
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #265 on: September 29, 2017, 11:59:58 AM
I made it to episode 4 .........  :td: :surrender:

Nice I didn't even make it past the youtube trailer.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #266 on: September 29, 2017, 12:43:01 PM
Oh no!  Mac is starting up again on CBS!  According go my dumb google notification thing.

Whot...???  :o
 They made a 2nd season of that pathetic MacGyver wannabe crap reboot?  :bnghd: :crash: :rant: :twak:

Lord have mercy...  :facepalm:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #267 on: September 29, 2017, 12:56:37 PM
+1.  :facepalm:
Barry

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #268 on: September 29, 2017, 01:52:50 PM
A belated 8th season with RDA would be more than welcome, seeing Angus mentoring his son.
Have you seen Batman Beyond, the animated show where an elder Bruce Wayne guides the young Batman through adventures? Great fun.

It's heartbreaking to see MacGyver's good name treated this way. So many wrong decisions.  :facepalm:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #269 on: September 29, 2017, 04:20:35 PM
Thankfully, I haven't even seen a trailer for this reboot so there is no image to forget and the 7 seasons of RDA is still unspoiled by the anti-Macgyver. :)

:climber:

Jim

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69