Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What makes a tool fit for this forum?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What makes a tool fit for this forum?
on: June 08, 2016, 11:48:04 PM
Does a tool belong here because it's a cheapo found on an end cap of a big box store for $10?

Is it just a no name tool?

Or does it include certain brand names too?  (Schrade, Sheffield, I'm looking at you guys....)

Is it anything that isn't one of the big companies like Leatherman, Gerber, Victorinox, SOG or CRKT?

What in your mind makes a tool (or more accurately the discussion of said tool) belong here versus General Tool discussion?

I always find it fascinating to see how members categorize or define things.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Vinjints

Re: What makes a tool fit for this forum?
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 11:51:27 PM
Depends on the reaction of the wife when she sees the price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 12:41:33 AM
If it is good for his owner it deserves our respect

Many times people can be too offensive with no brand tools

Perhaps you don´t share the appreciation, but please respect!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 02:14:14 AM
There are times where a tool is just so flat out bad that it doesn't belong anywhere else but here. There are also times where a decent no-name someone grabbed for cheap can qualify. And naturally, anything made by Taylor...... ;) 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 08:01:35 AM
If it is good for his owner it deserves our respect

Many times people can be too offensive with no brand tools

Perhaps you don´t share the appreciation, but please respect!

Totally agreed!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 09:53:35 AM
If talking about one vs another I would put it in General discussion

If only one tool is being discuss and it is not one of the "Big 5*" then it belongs here.

*Leatherman, SOG, Gerber, Victorinox & Wenger.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:45:26 AM
If talking about one vs another I would put it in General discussion

If only one tool is being discuss and it is not one of the "Big 5*" then it belongs here.

*Leatherman, SOG, Gerber, Victorinox & Wenger.

General Discussion!
 :salute:

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 11:46:07 AM
Does a tool belong here because it's a cheapo found on an end cap of a big box store for $10?

Is it just a no name tool?

Or does it include certain brand names too?  (Schrade, Sheffield, I'm looking at you guys....)

Is it anything that isn't one of the big companies like Leatherman, Gerber, Victorinox, SOG or CRKT?

What in your mind makes a tool (or more accurately the discussion of said tool) belong here versus General Tool discussion?

I always find it fascinating to see how members categorize or define things.

Def

General Tool!
 :salute:

8) 8) 8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 12:16:57 PM
My criteria...if it was cheaply made or cheaply bought, it belongs here. Brand is of no consequence.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline mikekoz

Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 04:39:57 PM
My criteria...if it was cheaply made or cheaply bought, it belongs here. Brand is of no consequence.

I agree. I have a multitool that is not part of the big 5 (It is a Bear and Son Super Jaws), but cost me over $100.00, which to me, is NOT cheap! I guess to me, it would be a tool under say, $30.00.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 06:06:41 PM
Man, this is tricky. If you go off of cost, then some models from even the major players qualify as cheap and cheerful. Basically all keychain tools or OPT offered by the big four. I got my Wingman, both Octanes, a PowerLock, a Rebar, and a Diesel (off the top of my head) for under $30 before shipping. To be fair, those were all either sales, clearance, or eBay scores.

Maybe MSRP?

You can't really just say quality, either, because the big four have put out, uh, questionable tools and charged a lot for them, specifically the SOG PowerDuo (confused) and the Gerber Suspension (I've seen multiple failures) and Guardian lines of tools

Like I said, tricky
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 06:13:40 AM
I do get a bit befuddled with the parent/child relationship of these things?

Is this a thread in a board in a forum?

I could look it up, but that's cheating.

As for what qualifies as Cheap and Cheerful.

Cheap varies wildly by region. Some people here are using Swisstools as paperweights, Leathermans for juggling practice, and Gerbers as stocking fillers.

For me, I don't like to say "Not from the Big 5" or something, because I am perfectly happy for premium manufacturers to have a crack at a Multi, or for something to come from a Bike maker or Climbing brand at a price to suit their ego reputation and I'd probably bring it up in the (No saluting, this is a sniper zone) General Tool Discussion.

I guess it's tools that beat expectations for the price point, or that are made by companies not necessarily known for their tools or manufacturing? tools that are gifts or "add ons" when you buy a larger item (ie, something you get with your car, or bike, or boat, etc)

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 02:09:01 PM
Although the big boys put out good tools at a cheap price, they go in their perspective sub forums. Brand > Price

I've always seen this board as under $30, China made copies, unique one offs by ___________ company, general one piece tools, sometimes half the implements work, and unbranded tools, but overall brings delight to the user. Of course it doesn't have to hit all areas but you get the point.

Anything that lands in a higher price range or something more "popular" (US made Tough Tool or Bear Jaws, etc), questions or comparisons across companies would go in general discussion board.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 03:08:19 PM
"Cheap" means lower price to me.  That is relative, and can vary widely from country to country.  I would generally exclude 2nd hand/used tools that were originally more a premium price.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 03:14:55 PM
I think this is the place for any sub $20 no name tool.  Anything over could go in the general tool section, and any name brand tool can stay in its respective sub forum, regardless of the price.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 07:39:24 PM
I do get a bit befuddled with the parent/child relationship of these things?

Is this a thread in a board in a forum?

I could look it up, but that's cheating.

As for what qualifies as Cheap and Cheerful.

Cheap varies wildly by region. Some people here are using Swisstools as paperweights, Leathermans for juggling practice, and Gerbers as stocking fillers.

For me, I don't like to say "Not from the Big 5" or something, because I am perfectly happy for premium manufacturers to have a crack at a Multi, or for something to come from a Bike maker or Climbing brand at a price to suit their ego reputation and I'd probably bring it up in the (No saluting, this is a sniper zone) General Tool Discussion.

I guess it's tools that beat expectations for the price point, or that are made by companies not necessarily known for their tools or manufacturing? tools that are gifts or "add ons" when you buy a larger item (ie, something you get with your car, or bike, or boat, etc)

It's simple- this is a thread the Cheap & Cheerful (originally I wanted to call it "Cheap and Nasty" btw) subforum, which is in the Tool Discussion section which is on the Multitool.org Forum.

At least, that's how I think about it... I'm sure some of our resident software jockeys may come along and correct me from a technical standpoint....   :ahhh

Def

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 07:21:26 AM
I think of cheaply made tools when I come here. Some aspects of the tool will be good but in general they are bad. Poor materials, poor quality, poor design, knockoffs come into mind. Basically tools you cannot trust. Once in a way you will come across a well thought out design but poorly executed/made. Most of the time it turns out that these types of tools are very cheap to purchase.

As a general rule if I see one for less than $10 (mostly in a gas stations traveling, auto parts or hw stores) and am intrigued by it, I will get it, try some of the tools and throw it into the collection box never to be used again. If it's a top MT brand then of course it will go into those respective collections no matter how bad it is (LM Style comes to mind).

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:33:06 AM by rishardh »

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 03:06:00 AM
Been hemming and hawing.

By default, anything that isn't a big name ends up here becuase there isn't really another good place to talk about them other than maybe General Tool.

But to live up to the name, yes, lower cost and/or non-major brand tools that don't suck belong here. So do the ones that do suck, showing them in all their failing inglory.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 09:06:14 AM
I've found some premium brand tools at cheap prices but to belong in this forum I'd keep it to cheaply made or lower quality tools.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 10:29:50 AM
For me, it must be either:

- A cheaply made tool, usually disappointing

- Something (relatively) cheap of good value. e.g. Mora Companion, some standard Opinel, a Fenix E01, a Vic Classic.

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 02:05:49 AM
Some excellent descriptions indeed!

Def

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 11:05:33 AM
For me it's quite simple,

Cheap and cheerful: good value or at least a good laugh  :D
Cheap and (or otherwise): just cheap (or sometimes not)... and sad  :(
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00