Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Building an AR15 for Wild Hogs

Poll

What cartridge should I build my AR15 around?

.25-45 Sharps
0 (0%)
6.5 Grendel
0 (0%)
6.8 Remington SPC
1 (5.9%)
.300 AAC
2 (11.8%)
.243 Winchester
1 (5.9%)
.308 Winchester
8 (47.1%)
.50 BMG
1 (5.9%)
30 x 173mm GAU-8 Avenger
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: July 12, 2016, 09:08:34 PM

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: Building an AR15 for Wild Hogs
Reply #60 on: July 11, 2016, 08:52:16 PM
These are from Plaska Lodge a big hunting ranch up in the Texas panhandle (rdub...look at the last hunter's gun)

(Image removed from quote.)
http://www.plaskalodge.com/hog-hunting-texas-boar-hunts-pigs-trophy-large-hogs-lodge-ranch.html

I saw an article somewhere where a Texas Parks and Wildlife guy was talking about hogs over 1000lbs. Still looking for it.

WHAT?? Surely those are bears disguised as wild hogs, right? Right?!  :o
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #61 on: July 11, 2016, 10:46:54 PM
These are from Plaska Lodge a big hunting ranch up in the Texas panhandle (rdub...look at the last hunter's gun)

http://www.plaskalodge.com/hog-hunting-texas-boar-hunts-pigs-trophy-large-hogs-lodge-ranch.html

I saw an article somewhere where a Texas Parks and Wildlife guy was talking about hogs over 1000lbs. Still looking for it.

I see an AR15! Those are ginormous hogs. 1000 pounds is insane - that's bigger than a bull elk! I've heard that the bigger pigs don't taste very good. So what do people do with them if they don't eat them?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #62 on: July 11, 2016, 11:21:24 PM

I see an AR15! Those are ginormous hogs. 1000 pounds is insane - that's bigger than a bull elk! I've heard that the bigger pigs don't taste very good. So what do people do with them if they don't eat them?

Thought you would like that! :D  Have your picture made with it and mount the head I guess.  That ranch lets you get two meat hogs and a trophy boar.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: July 11, 2016, 11:33:53 PM
Are those Jurassic park pigs   :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: July 11, 2016, 11:46:40 PM

WHAT?? Surely those are bears disguised as wild hogs, right? Right?!  :o

The stuff of nightmares I think......would rather face a cougar than a hog that big.

We have both..... :ahhh

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: July 12, 2016, 01:04:25 AM

Thought you would like that! :D  Have your picture made with it and mount the head I guess.  That ranch lets you get two meat hogs and a trophy boar.

I can't help but notice that in a lot of the pictures, the hunters seem to employ forced perspective to sort of exaggerate the size of the their kill :rofl: I guess if their is one skill all hunters seem to possess, it's the power to embellish :D Although, the picture you posted earlier of the fellow in the black cowboy hat and overalls seems legit - his hands are on the hog, so you can tell he isn't 10 feet away from the hog.

I'm looking forward to hog hunting :tu: seems exciting
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: July 12, 2016, 01:35:19 AM

I can't help but notice that in a lot of the pictures, the hunters seem to employ forced perspective to sort of exaggerate the size of the their kill :rofl: I guess if their is one skill all hunters seem to possess, it's the power to embellish :D Although, the picture you posted earlier of the fellow in the black cowboy hat and overalls seems legit - his hands are on the hog, so you can tell he isn't 10 feet away from the hog.

I'm looking forward to hog hunting :tu: seems exciting

Hey, can you blame them? Every guy wants his to look bigger.......

:rofl:

Then there's this...... :ahhh :ahhh

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/05/26/alabama-boy-kills-1051-pound-monster-pig-bigger-than-hogzilla.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:45:39 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #67 on: July 12, 2016, 01:44:38 AM
 :rofl:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: July 12, 2016, 03:23:21 PM
Only about 6 hours left before the voting closes, so if you haven't made your decision yet you need to get to it :D

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #69 on: July 12, 2016, 07:35:56 PM
After seeing pictures of 1000 pound piggies with 6 inch tusks I stand by my decision.  You need this:

(I meant the 30mm GAU-8, but a beer probably wouldn't hurt either.)
30mm.jpg
* 30mm.jpg (Filesize: 66.28 KB)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:38:21 PM by Alan K. »

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #70 on: July 12, 2016, 07:53:59 PM
After seeing pictures of 1000 pound piggies with 6 inch tusks I stand by my decision.  You need this:

That looks about right. :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: July 12, 2016, 08:07:06 PM

:rofl: I think I may need a vehicle mount in order to fire the rifle that shoots one of those rounds. Seriously, though - I'd be interested to see one of these hitting a big piggy.
brrrt.jpg
* brrrt.jpg (Filesize: 49.96 KB)
big gun.jpg
* big gun.jpg (Filesize: 145.35 KB)

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #72 on: July 12, 2016, 08:29:31 PM

:rofl: I think I may need a vehicle mount in order to fire the rifle that shoots one of those rounds. Seriously, though - I'd be interested to see one of these hitting a big piggy.

Damn straight. The gun so awesome, they had to build a plane to carry it! :tu:
GAU-8.jpg
* GAU-8.jpg (Filesize: 31.34 KB)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #73 on: July 12, 2016, 08:38:38 PM
Looking at the size of those hogs(monsters) I'd probably prefer a 60mm mortar or a Javelin missile  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: July 12, 2016, 09:23:53 PM
A lot of concern over using a "big" enough round to kill hogs in this discussion, so far - some jokingly, and some serious. I jsut stumbled onto this article about Karamojo Bell. He killed 800 elephants with a rifle firing 7x57mm cartridges. He calculated that on average it took 1.5 shots to kill an elephant, that means half the time he put them down with one shot. Obviously, these were brain shots. Check out the article on Chuckhawks.com if you are interested in a full write up on the subject.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bell_elephants.htm

The most improtant factors in harvesting animals humanely are good shot placement and firing bullets of proper construction :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: July 12, 2016, 09:57:20 PM
Well, it looks like voting has closed. I do appreciate everyone that took part in the conversation - it was very entertaining and informative. I really enjoyed hearing other's opinions and experiences, so thank you :salute:

It looks like the versatile and venerable .308 Winchester came home with a resounding win, commanding almost half of the votes. The GAU-8 Avenger firing the 30x173mm came second :rofl: I wouldn't mind having an A-10 Warthog :drool:
And the first AR15 compatible cartridge came in third - the .300 AAC Blackout.

You can rest assured that as this project starts to come together, my MTO family will most definitely be kept abreast of any and all developments :tu:
hog hammer.jpg
* hog hammer.jpg (Filesize: 34.61 KB)
razorback.jpg
* razorback.jpg (Filesize: 117.47 KB)
full boar.jpg
* full boar.jpg (Filesize: 320.83 KB)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:59:10 PM by rdub934 »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: July 12, 2016, 10:24:37 PM
A lot of concern over using a "big" enough round to kill hogs in this discussion, so far - some jokingly, and some serious. I jsut stumbled onto this article about Karamojo Bell. He killed 800 elephants with a rifle firing 7x57mm cartridges. He calculated that on average it took 1.5 shots to kill an elephant, that means half the time he put them down with one shot. Obviously, these were brain shots. Check out the article on Chuckhawks.com if you are interested in a full write up on the subject.

The most improtant factors in harvesting animals humanely are good shot placement and firing bullets of proper construction :tu:

+1 on the placement and bullet construction!  Years ago, I read an article where a hunter took a 92 Winchester chambered in 44-40 and re-bored it to 44 mag. He used the rifle in the states to take Black Bears. This fellow then machined bronze 300gr, 44 cal bullets for a custom handload which was used in Africa to take an Elephant with one ear to ear shot. It was an article on the strength of the Winchester 92 design.

I had that article saved but it went away, two computers back and I haven't been able to find it in 4 years of periodic searching.

I found it...my memory was fairly close.

http://www.rarewinchesters.com/articles/art_92_249016.shtml
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:28:48 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #77 on: July 12, 2016, 11:42:14 PM

This times a million.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #78 on: July 12, 2016, 11:56:51 PM
I have nothing to add other than to say HOLY SMURF those are some crazy huge hogs. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD