Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cellular Tracking

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Cellular Tracking
on: June 12, 2016, 06:58:43 PM
    Saw this video on Facebook today about how one's own iPhone or Android is tracking your locations, how long you were there, where you live, and more. And... this fellow gives you a clue as to where it's located at on your phone, how to delete the history, and how to turn it off completely.
    iPhone looks to be much deeply embedded into the phone settings. Android seems to vary between devices, though found the one I use via Settings, Location, and down at the bottom Google Location History. From there you can choose to delete location history (have to assume it does get deleted) and the Off setting - in which doing so is only temporary.

While at the previous screen had noticed Locating Method was on High Accuracy, changed that to Power Saving. Is probably why the phone battery fluctuates so much due to dead spots at work. One can choose to turn this Location off but found it affects weather, and some Google services. :shrug:

https://www.facebook.com/nick.capous/videos/vb.670685993/10153103949360994/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:00:47 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Cellular Tracking
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 04:11:47 PM
I don't worry about it tbh.I don't go anywhere that is suspicious or interesting enough for it to make a difference.

Plus it works for me on occasion.  Not only do my parents like to check my location on Google Plus, but last week I got a parking ticket for being parked on my street for more than 3 hours.  Phone tracking proved that I was away from home for an hour or two then came back and parked in the same space, meaning I hadn't exceeded the three hour limit.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 04:58:39 PM
    Saw this video on Facebook today about how one's own iPhone or Android is tracking your locations, how long you were there, where you live, and more. And... this fellow gives you a clue as to where it's located at on your phone, how to delete the history, and how to turn it off completely.
    iPhone looks to be much deeply embedded into the phone settings. Android seems to vary between devices, though found the one I use via Settings, Location, and down at the bottom Google Location History. From there you can choose to delete location history (have to assume it does get deleted) and the Off setting - in which doing so is only temporary.

While at the previous screen had noticed Locating Method was on High Accuracy, changed that to Power Saving. Is probably why the phone battery fluctuates so much due to dead spots at work. One can choose to turn this Location off but found it affects weather, and some Google services. :shrug:

https://www.facebook.com/nick.capous/videos/vb.670685993/10153103949360994/

You are just finding out about this now??? I have known this for years. They can also activate your camera and microphone and watch/listen to everything you do.

This is what Snowden has been telling us for years and no one cares. Sad really.

Sorry if I come off mean. This stuff just really frustrates me. No one cares we are being spied on daily.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:00:51 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:07:02 PM
This is recent and a good watch.

I'm the milk man!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 11:03:10 PM
The fact you don't control the hardware you have paid for annoys me greatly with smart phones. The privacy issues are an important part of it, but not all of it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%