Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smart phones and smarter SAKs

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Smart phones and smarter SAKs
on: June 13, 2016, 03:34:44 PM
My smart phone has all but eliminated the need to carry so many things, a watch, a flashlight, a compass, a camera, a pen and paper, and on and on and on, I can even eliminate the need to carry keys or even a wallet. I know there are scores of examples of what technology can do, or how we can integrate everything into a single device, and do it well, but not really everything...

There are things that a SAK will always be able to do that a smart phone will not. The electronic scales were a step in the direction of eliminating the need for a compass, thermometer, barometer, altimeter, watch, timer, stopwatch, and on the Traveller Lite, also a flashlight (although not a very good one...), but my phone will do all of that, and so much better...

I have seen creative examples of pulling corks, opening tin cans or lifting bottlecaps, and making cuts without a blade that are crude improvisations, just like I can also make a sundial to calculate the time, but the smart phone cannot currently, and probably never will, replace a Swiss Army Knife. They have already stood the test of time. :)

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Smart phones and smarter SAKs
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 03:41:52 PM
The big minus with a smartphone is the battery. I will always carry a compass, pen and paper, book, wallet and of course, a SAK, because these items don't depend on an independant power source.

I may be a luddite but I only use my phone for 2 things: communication and as an MP3 player. It worries me to see how much people are using their phones, all walking along with heads down and fingers busy. Even driving while texting!

Interesting post twiliter - Smartphones are having a huge effect on western society, and I don't think it's a wholly good one.

Hurrah for the SAK!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 03:47:22 PM
I agree Mags, I try not to have my head up my phone too much, that's what my tablet is for!  :D

I was also thinking neither tool is good at making fire or getting brambles out of my dog's fur, so a comb and lighter are handy for those in need of such.  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 03:51:46 PM
Smart phone have indeed replaced many of what was once carried.  Battery is one consideration not to leave out reception.  I have been a few places where there isn't reception or very slow/weak reception.  Water is another issue however it seems they are making huge strides in that area.  Grid down has effected my cell in the past so theres that too. 

I use a smart phone and have for a very long time.  Mine is a mobile office to a degree however I do back up many things with written notes as well. 

The humble SAK has and will continue to stand the test of time IMO as well.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD