Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Sidekick: Signed and engraved by Tim Leatherman

ruubl · 19 · 3027

be Offline ruubl

Hi all!

I have a Leatherman Sidekick and Tim Leatherman's signature is engraved on it. He did this himself! I was with him when he signed it.

Are there other people on this forum with multitools engraved by Tim?

Can this be seen as a collector's item? What would it be worth?

The multitool has never been used.

Ruben
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 04:22:11 PM by ruubl »

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Sidekick: Signed and engraved by Tim Leatherman
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 05:20:07 PM
Welcome Ruben :cheers:.

Guess I wasn't the only one who went to one of the engraving sessions in Belgium last weekend ...  :think: 
You can find my topic about meeting Tim Leatherman here.

So, to answer your questions:

- Yes, there are other people here who own one (or more) multitool(s) engraved by the Man himself.
- Yes, in a way it could be seen as a bit of a collector's item, but a Sidekick is not really a "classic", so the value wouldn't be very stunning in my opinion. (on the other hand, if someone really wants it, who knows how much it could be worth.  As they say : " it's worth as much as what the fool is willing to pay for it" ...).

For me, a signed multitool is only worth something if you were there when Tim engraved it, it's the complete experience that counts, not just the signed tool for me.  That's one of the reasons why I had him sign all (well, not all, just the ones I had with me  ::)) my tools with my name on them (and the same goes for the ones for my two boys), I don't care about the increased value, since I'm never going to sell any of them, simple as that  ;).  So I would never buy a signed Leatherman online only to own a signed Leatherman, but maybe that's just me.

P.S.: Make sure to check out the rest of this awesome forum, it's simply the best place on the net, and there's so much information on a lot of tools here, take a look  :pok:.

Greetings,

Eric

be Offline ruubl

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 07:10:36 PM

Guess I wasn't the only one who went to one of the engraving sessions in Belgium last weekend ...  :think: 

- Yes, there are other people here who own one (or more) multitool(s) engraved by the Man himself.
- Yes, in a way it could be seen as a bit of a collector's item, but a Sidekick is not really a "classic", so the value wouldn't be very stunning in my opinion. (on the other hand, if someone really wants it, who knows how much it could be worth.  As they say : " it's worth as much as what the fool is willing to pay for it" ...).

For me, a signed multitool is only worth something if you were there when Tim engraved it, it's the complete experience that counts, not just the signed tool for me.  That's one of the reasons why I had him sign all (well, not all, just the ones I had with me  ::)) my tools with my name on them (and the same goes for the ones for my two boys), I don't care about the increased value, since I'm never going to sell any of them, simple as that  ;).  So I would never buy a signed Leatherman online only to own a signed Leatherman, but maybe that's just me.

P.S.: Make sure to check out the rest of this awesome forum, it's simply the best place on the net, and there's so much information on a lot of tools here, take a look  :pok:.

Greetings,

Eric

Hi Eric!

Thank you for your comment. I don't have the intention to sell it so the value isn't that important for me.
The Sidekick is only my second multitool but I already love them!

Ruben

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 08:35:52 PM

Greetings,

Eric

Hi Eric!

Thank you for your comment. I don't have the intention to sell it so the value isn't that important for me.

Ruben

What is your first multitool  :pok: :pok: :pok: ? (and did you have that one signed as well ?)

Feel free to start a topic and post pics, or post pics in one of the many cool topics here, like the ones below:

SAKs in public places (or other multitools)
Pics of your Leatherman outside
Pics of your SAKs outside
The Rockin' Multi-tool picture thread
the random photo you like that doesn't deserve its own thread

Just to name a few  ;).

be Offline ruubl

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 09:03:53 PM

Greetings,

Eric

Hi Eric!

Ruben

What is your first multitool  :pok: :pok: :pok: ? (and did you have that one signed as well ?)

Feel free to start a topic and post pics, or post pics in one of the many cool topics here, like the ones below:

Just to name a few  ;).
I bought a Gerber Suspension gift box for Christmas. It came with the Paraframe Mini knife.
20151225_134919s.jpg
* 20151225_134919s.jpg (Filesize: 265.61 KB)

be Offline ruubl

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 09:06:21 PM
Hi all!

I have a Leatherman Sidekick and Tim Leatherman's signature is engraved on it. He did this himself! I was with him when he signed it.

Are there other people on this forum with multitools engraved by Tim?

Can this be seen as a collector's item? What would it be worth?

The multitool has never been used.

Ruben

be Offline ruubl

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 09:36:14 PM

Greetings,

Eric

Hi Eric!

Ruben

Just to name a few  ;).
I bought a Gerber Suspension gift box for Christmas. It came with the Paraframe Mini knife.

I noticed there are a lot of negative posts about the Suspension. I've been using it for a couple of months now and I haven't had any problem so far..

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 11:24:51 PM
They can be a bunch of critical snobs here ... :rant:

Just kidding, okay, some tools are more popular than others here, but I think nobody's looking down on a Gerber Suspension.  And in my opinion, the best tool is still the one you have on you when you need it  ;).

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 09:33:51 AM
The Suspension is a fairly good tool, nothing to complain about there (especially at its price). My own experience with it is that it's too heavy for what it brings. It's quite a lump of metal and there aren't that many tools on it. That said it has been very useful at festivals campsites where weight is less of a problem and the increased risk of losing a tool has made me think twice about bringing the fancier tools.

Welcome to the forum!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 11:43:55 AM
Welcome to the forums!

I also own a couple of signed MTs, and think exactly the same as Eric.

They are irreplaceable items reminders of a great, memoreable experience.

I have no interest at all in their selling value.

That being said, i hope you enjoy your tools, hang around this forum and learn from all the cool guys and awesome loads of information that you'll find here.

Congrats on your experience with Tim!  :drink:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 05:08:15 AM
Welcome to :MTO:

That is awesome to have a tool signed by the man himself and be there when he signed it :dd:

Top Gear is right this is a great forum with lots of great info and people :cheers:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 04:41:40 PM
I think most of the ill will toward the Suspension has to come from the rather lax QC Gerber has in place. They crank out a lot of them really quickly, so you're going to hear about a relatively high number of people getting lemons.
People have had similar issues with the Dime, and mine has been a pretty good little tool for the price. I still hate the file, but that's a story for another thread...

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 06:23:09 PM
Thats awesome that you have a knife signed by Mr. Leatherman! Im curious as to if Tim Leatherman has a "tour schedule." I haven't been able to find one online, but I heard that he is traveling around to sign Leathermans. Its a long shot, but I hope he comes to GA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 07:12:46 PM
Thats awesome that you have a knife signed by Mr. Leatherman! Im curious as to if Tim Leatherman has a "tour schedule." I haven't been able to find one online, but I heard that he is traveling around to sign Leathermans. Its a long shot, but I hope he comes to GA!

and to Tennessee :dd:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 07:20:18 PM
I'd drive a couple hundred miles if I knew I'd get my LM signed.  Mr Tim Leatherman please come out to California as well. 

What tool would you all bring to have signed?

I'm thinking I'd bring a JSPT.  I'd love for him to sign my BO Surge and Wave.  Would it be rude to bring in my crate of LMs  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 07:26:54 PM

Do you live anywhere near smoky mountain knife works? I love that place.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 07:34:44 PM

I live couple hours west of it :tu:

I have been to it my fair share of times though ;)

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 07:45:06 PM

I live couple hours west of it :tu:

I have been to it my fair share of times though ;)

I have been a couple of times.. Will hopefully get back up there some time in September. Next time you're over there, look up a restaurant called The Chop House in Sevierville. It is the best restaurant I've ever eaten at.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 01:50:07 AM
Here are a few of my signed tools from an old Swiss Army Knights article:

PST and Limited edition MTO Charge signed by Tim (at the same time I might add) and a Wenger Iron Grip signed by then-Wenger CEO Peter Hug.  Peter was a huge supporter of MTO, even going as far as to make this video for our 8th Anniversary.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%