Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Expectations for $30-$40 Kershaw

00 Offline Swiss Reformer

Expectations for $30-$40 Kershaw
on: August 21, 2020, 02:28:02 AM
Hello, everyone.

About a year ago I was using a Kershaw knife to try and pry out a piece of hard plastic out of something it was lodged in.  Only a small portion of the blade could get under the plastic.  After some strong effort, the tip of the blade just broke off - breaking point was about 3/8 - 1/4 of an inch from the tip.

I was pretty surprised, but later realized I had no basis for any expectations.  I didn't suspect steel would break like that under most forms of human pressure.  Then again, I have no idea if breaking off was normal or abnormal, considering the circumstances.  I probably paid under $40 for the knife (I've tried to find the name of the model, but can't to this point).  When closed, it was about 3"-3.5".

Would like to get a feel for whether breakage as above should be considered surprising or not for a Kershaw or similar.  Or, would *any* knife of similar size be likely to break given how I used (or misused) it.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 05:33:01 AM by Swiss Reformer »

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Re: Expectations for $30-$40 Kershaw
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 02:38:47 AM
Sorry, Swiss Reformer, but you really can't blame the knife.  The knife is meant to cut, not pry.  Perhaps a screwdriver or a pry bar would be better suited to the task at hand.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 08:15:38 AM
It depends on the force and the knife.
Some knives have thicker points or more forgiving steel (they will bend rather than break).

You should be able to pry a bit with a knife, though most are not designed for that.

Price is not the issue, rather than the tool design,

As mentioned, a much cheaper screwdriver or pry tool may have fared better.

Some multitools have special pry tools in them, for that.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 08:57:27 AM
Thank you both, much appreciated.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 06:56:48 AM
Breakage not surprising under the circumstances.

A few options to possibly consider for the future:
  • For about the same price as a replacement Kershaw, you could get a SAK.  Something like a Pioneer would have a main blade that would cut anything the Kershaw would have, and the cap lifter/screwdriver would handle light to medium duty prying.
  • If you see more medium to heavy duty prying (relatively speaking) in your future, a well made OPMT/pocket pry bar will take all the punishment you can dish out without using a hammer or cheater.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 07:36:20 AM
I see a lot of knives with broken tips at the flea market.  Its not surprising at all as the tip of many knives are thin.  I'm a big fan of small pry tool but I understand when the need strikes folks use whats at hand.  I'd say its very normal breakage     

I hope you could regrind the knife tip as its not a massive break. 
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 08:14:15 AM
Thank you, Nate.  Actually, I've got quite a few SAKs.  My problem is while I've got plenty of knives...I've an equal amount of ignorance re: practical application/steel  :D

In this particular instance, I wasn't home and just had access to the knife I had at the time...but honestly, even had I been home I would have grabbed whichever knife was closest at hand.  Live and learn!

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 08:15:48 AM
I see a lot of knives with broken tips at the flea market.  Its not surprising at all as the tip of many knives are thin.  I'm a big fan of small pry tool but I understand when the need strikes folks use whats at hand.  I'd say its very normal breakage     

I hope you could regrind the knife tip as its not a massive break.

Regrinding didn't occur to me...I'll have to keep that in mind.  Thanks!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 10:16:48 PM
I will say this. My Leek has probably the most fragile tip of any knife in my collection. I only use it for cutting, and I'm still fearful the tip will break. It's barely thicker than a sheet of cardstock at the tip.

Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 12:59:31 AM
I will say this. My Leek has probably the most fragile tip of any knife in my collection. I only use it for cutting, and I'm still fearful the tip will break. It's barely thicker than a sheet of cardstock at the tip.

Surfing the net I stumbled across the model name of the knife I broke.  It was the Amplitude...whose point is somewhat similar to the Leek!  Guess I should have known better, but my ignorance was bliss until the break!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%