Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Morakniv Garberg

Grathr · 401 · 20287

us Offline this_is_nascar

Re: Morakniv Garberg
Reply #390 on: May 28, 2017, 01:49:49 PM
What's the intended use of the Eldris?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #391 on: May 30, 2017, 01:46:42 AM
Have to say, the Eldris looks more like the little brother of the Kansbol.

Might have to pick up an Eldris at some point as I love the Kansbol. Just waiting until a local retailer has them in so I can handle them in person. For a knife that small, not sure how it will feel in hand.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #392 on: May 30, 2017, 02:06:58 AM

There kinda like a patch knife. Make small cuts or use them for fine carving.  I have never handled one, but that is the impression I get.
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #393 on: May 30, 2017, 03:56:06 PM

There kinda like a patch knife. Make small cuts or use them for fine carving.  I have never handled one, but that is the impression I get.

Perhaps a safer option than your run of the mill folder that one would use (because being fair most people don't use high quality folders with strong locks or backsprings)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #394 on: August 17, 2020, 06:40:17 PM
I know this is an old thread, but figured this fit here.

I just picked up a Garberg with the multi mount sheath. I like it, it certainly seems well built and worth the money for what it offers. But I can’t help wondering if I really need such a bomb proof knife. My other moras have always done fine for me, so maybe this is overkill.

For those of you that have the Garberg and other moras, what are your thoughts? Do you find the Garberg to be better enough to justify the price?

Edit to add: I’ve also read that some people find the handle slippery. It’s obviously not as “sticky” as the rubberized handles like the eldris or companion, but it doesn’t seem slick to me. Anyone have any issues with it being too slippery in use?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 07:00:19 PM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #395 on: August 17, 2020, 07:16:58 PM
I know this is an old thread, but figured this fit here.

I just picked up a Garberg with the multi mount sheath. I like it, it certainly seems well built and worth the money for what it offers. But I can’t help wondering if I really need such a bomb proof knife. My other moras have always done fine for me, so maybe this is overkill.

For those of you that have the Garberg and other moras, what are your thoughts? Do you find the Garberg to be better enough to justify the price?

Edit to add: I’ve also read that some people find the handle slippery. It’s obviously not as “sticky” as the rubberized handles like the eldris or companion, but it doesn’t seem slick to me. Anyone have any issues with it being too slippery in use?

Congrats on getting a Garberg mate  :cheers:.

I'm a big fan of the Garberg, I own 2 stainless versions (one multimount and one leather sheath) and the Carbon version with leather sheath.

Do I think the Garberg is worth the extra bucks...?

Yes, I do... 

They use a better steel than on their other knives, it's a full tang construction (and a real full tang, I dislike those 5 or 6mm thick knives that, when you remove the handle, are ridiculously skeletonized). And the handle material, while nothing fancy, is very durable and in my opinion more comfortable to work with than the softer more ruberized ones.

If any other brand would sell a knife with those specs for that price it would be considered great value for the money, but in my opinion Mora is victim of their own succes, I mean, what knife can beat a Mora Companion when it comes to value for money? Right, none, and neither can the Garberg.

But I still prefer my Garberg when I don't really know what I might come across during my hike or camping time.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #396 on: August 17, 2020, 08:19:58 PM
Thanks for your input!

That’s basically how I was thinking. I just get wrapped up in whether I really need the robustness since I’ve never managed to damage or break a regular mora.

What are your thoughts on the blade thickness? I’ve got a Companion HQ robust which has the same blade thickness, so I assume it would perform the same. Basically really good at wood work, not so great at food prep or really fine carving.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #397 on: August 17, 2020, 09:17:54 PM
Blade thickness is always a bit of a compromise, the Companion is better in food prep and fine carving, but the Garberg is still capable enough in my opinion.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #398 on: August 18, 2020, 12:03:19 AM
Thanks again for your thoughts and input.

I’m leaning towards keeping it and starting to give it a work out.

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #399 on: August 18, 2020, 04:44:13 AM
Do I think the Garberg is worth the extra bucks...?

Yes, I do... 

They use a better steel than on their other knives, it's a full tang construction (and a real full tang, I dislike those 5 or 6mm thick knives that, when you remove the handle, are ridiculously skeletonized). And the handle material, while nothing fancy, is very durable and in my opinion more comfortable to work with than the softer more ruberized ones.

If any other brand would sell a knife with those specs for that price it would be considered great value for the money, but in my opinion Mora is victim of their own succes, I mean, what knife can beat a Mora Companion when it comes to value for money? Right, none, and neither can the Garberg.

But I still prefer my Garberg when I don't really know what I might come across during my hike or camping time.
:iagree:

TG summed it up so well, I'm not sure I have much to add.  The Garberg is definitely worth the money, and is actually an exceptional value at its ~$80 USD street price.  I also have (and like) the Mora 2000 and another Mora or two, but the Garberg is in a different league.  The Garberg is the least expensive knife I own that I would recommend as serious hiking/woods fixed blade.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #400 on: August 19, 2020, 06:09:51 PM
Thanks again for your thoughts and input.

I’m leaning towards keeping it and starting to give it a work out.

Allow me to be the devil advocate here, I have high expectation when Garberg came out few years back, but did feel slightly underwhelmed when I got it.  And here could be why:

1) It deviates from what I know Mora for, lightweight, inexpensive and functional knives; and more catered towards the demand of full tang/robust blade.  I am a big fan for well balanced knife in hand(balance point at the index finger or maybe half an inch into the handle), and most Mora knives do balance really well at the index, making them really nimble and feel light in hand.  I think if they did a better job reducing the weight in tang and making it more well balanced, it would feel a lot nimbler and lighter in hand.

2) Not true scandi grind with the micro bevel.  Still haven't get around to reprofile the knife, but it could be improved.

3) Guard/handle keep hand further away from the edge than usual.  What I love most about Mora is the ability to choke my fingers right up to the edge, and make powerful cuts, but I do feel that near 1/2 inch gap is a slight let down.(I could be nitpicking here).

Later on, I did get a Condor Terrasaur and though it is not as well made(fit and finish) as Garberg, I do feel it addressed all the issues I mentioned above and it is what I imagine a Garberg would be.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%