Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hunting Knives

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Hunting Knives
on: June 24, 2016, 05:29:59 PM
In this thread let's show off our hunting knives that have seen their share of action. Any stories or general history would also be great.

I'll start with my small game hunting knife;

It's a Ka-Bar 1233. This is an older version, from when they were made in Japan. I understand the newer ones are made in Taiwan, but don't know if the quality has changed appreciably.
For several years in my youth I used a Buck Woodsman, until it was stolen. One day I hope to come across a beat up Woodsman at a yard sale or flea market and restore it. But the Ka-Bar certainly gets the job done.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Hunting Knives
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 06:13:24 PM
Getting my ducks (sorry WoodsDuck) in a row...will post soon.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 08:53:37 PM
William Rodgers hunting knife, made in sheffield England. Given to me for my seventh birthday from my dad.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 01:38:27 AM
That's a beautiful memory filled knife Steve!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 03:27:37 AM
In the 60's-70's, we always had Schrade and Western hunting knives and Dad gave me his old leather stack handle Shrade Walden to hunt with at about age 10 (1970). I can't remember the model right now but it lives in my memories.

That's it just behind my first Pioneer that escaped the fire.

A buddy gifted me the Western version of it last year.

Later on in the 80's, Dad bought himself a Buck Special and it was lost in the fire as well.

I had an old Western W36 at my house (out in West Texas) that I was cleaning up and it became my only hunting knife. I adapted a sheath for it and bought Dad one so we both again had deer knives.

Here they are together...both W36's, both made in different places, at different times....just like me and Dad.

After the fire, my Daughter bought me this Marbles Fieldcraft at a gun show. It's a wonderful little knife, being one from the Mike Stewart era and is made out of the superlative 52/100 high carbon ball bearing bladesteel.

I liked is so well, I bought two more to go with it.

If I do get back to deer hunting, I'll probably carry this one. It's a USA made Shrade 165. My uncle had one of these at all our deer hunts and I always admired it.

The 165 is considered by many to be the quintessential American deer knife. I agree and started collecting the many 165 variations last year....I'm up to six.

Sorry for the crummy pic....

Well, there you go.....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 03:38:53 AM
Great posts and really fantastic knives, guys.

SG, those old Schrade fixed blades are indeed awesome knives. Nice collection of 165s you have there  :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 04:14:30 AM
Great posts and really fantastic knives, guys.

SG, those old Schrade fixed blades are indeed awesome knives. Nice collection of 165s you have there  :tu:

Thank you WD!! :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 05:22:27 AM
Really great knives.
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 12:23:19 PM
Here is my father's hunting knife. This dates to the late 50s, early 60's. He paid 7 bucks for it as the sheath still has the sticker price on the back. The knife is an Original Buffalo Hunter by Ruko Solingen. This is the higher quality model as evinced by the carved stag handle. Over the years, the blade has gotten a very nice patina.

Now for some back story. This knife was given to me by my father a few months before he passed away. This was his hunting knife when he was an older teenager/young adult. At the time, he wanted to go hunting with his uncle. He only went hunting a few times and quickly figured out he didn't like it. This was mostly due to his Uncle/boss...who owned a plumbing shop. From what my father told me, they went hunting in Northern Quebec. The Uncle bagged a little fawn, and was so proud of the fact, the tied it to the hood on the way back. That was the last time my Dad went hunting. In fact, he didn't want to be reminded of that incident, thus this lovely piece was stored in a closet for most of its life. Now it is proudly displayed with other fixed bladed knives.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:24:56 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 12:45:04 PM
Here is something of a local flavour.

There was a local German Canadian who made hunting knives locally until he passed away. I found these six knives from his widow, who just happened to tell me about them whilst doing a garage sale at her address. Her late husband would sell them at a few local stores. He made the nicest leather sheaths, which I can attest as I also dabble in leather. I bought 6 of his knives, one being extra special as it is one of two knives that her husband was in the process of making when he passed away. She sent them to his best friend in Germany to be finished. The best friend had both sides of the blade laser engraved once he finished them. The blade has "Herman Duerrschmied Canada" on one side, and the inscription "The end of an era" on the other.

After looking at all her stock, I selected the 6 that caught my interest. I can say that each knife she showed me was different. Mr. Duerrschmied did not believe in making several models and mass producing them.

Here is the one of two blade inscribed knives commemorating her late husband. To this day, I still cannot believe she offered me one of these for sale. I guess my enthusiasm for her late husbands work carried the day.

And the others.

On a final note, I know of one other person who owns a knife from Herman. A retired Elementary School Principal who belongs to the gun club. He brings his knife all the time to show it off with pride and to tell others about Herman. I thought that was cool to have someone else I know own one, and who actually knew the man.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 03:40:06 PM
I'll say it again

Really great knives shown here  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline JP