Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Jacket?

Gareth · 49 · 12101

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Re: What Jacket?
Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 04:42:03 PM
I've used a Beaufort jacket by Barbour for quite a few years. It could do with a rewax now  :)
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 05:00:44 PM

I wear one of these:
   http://www.portauthorityclothing.com/servlet/portAuthority?cat=Port-Collection&top=229202&sub=229205&style=TLJ790

My previous job involved working outside year round and they supplied these jackets to all the field reps. It stood up in the rain, wind, sleet, snow with no issue. Throw a couple layers underneath and you are good to go.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 05:22:40 PM
I've used a Beaufort jacket by Barbour for quite a few years. It could do with a rewax now  :)

I like Barbour jackets just not for doing any kind heavy work...I tend to overheat in them then ::)
I rewaxed mine last year when it was a bit warmer...it's easier to do then ;) 
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 06:51:12 PM
That makes sense Colin  :tu:
Gabba gabba hey!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 07:17:25 PM
Quite a bit...it's not totally waterproof but it's the breath ability aspect I like best ;)
I've been out in very heavy rain walking for about 30 mins and when I've stopped there has been slight ingress in places but after 10-15 mins in a warm dry place and the jacket dries out.
With it being cotton its hard wearing and can just be chucked in the washing machine when needed where as technical fabrics crack and de-laminate over time.

I'd highly recommend you try one if you get the chance...it will soon become your favourite jacket ;)
They can be expensive depending where you buy from but still cheaper than a lot of the big brand technicals...plus its made in England :salute:

SASS Kit web store is down and has been for some time but you can still contact them...I paid £145 for my smock from them but I had an extra map pocket added, they can do all sorts of extras like D rings on the pockets for securing kit.
I was lucky with the new RN deck jacket I got it brand new for £95...second hand ones go for that and up to £135.

There is a store up in Scotland who make their own jackets and I've always liked the look of some of their stuff plus they offer it in other colours ;)
Here's their site...
http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/index.html

Oh so very tempting.  I will be strong...I will be strong....I will be strong. :(

I really, truly don't need yet another jacket, coat or smock.  Doesn't make me want one any less, but it does make it easier to resist temptation. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 09:17:04 AM
I use a montane pullover if it's not too bad. Or a north face goretex thing not sure the name. Also have a north face puffer jacket but mainly for urban use

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: November 01, 2015, 10:37:09 AM
Zombie thread. >:D

Just picked up a good deal on a Snugpak Sleeka Jacket for a very reasonable £30 including postage.  Wore it out last night and it's certainly warm.  It's very much a sleeping-bag in jacket form, though I wouldn't want folks to think it's bulky, 'cos it's not.  It is however very generously cut, so if you want a close fitting jacket I'd definitely order a size smaller than normal.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: November 02, 2015, 03:42:53 PM
Looks like a nice jacket  :tu:

Fleece and or Shell for me in the fall and a North Face Down jacket for winter.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: November 02, 2015, 04:43:18 PM
Most of the time I use a Columbia 3-in-1 jacket.  The liner is actually nice looking soft shell, so that gets worn by itself often.  It's pretty heavy, though, for lightweight backpacking, so I switch to a layering setup with either a Columbia fleece pullover or Marmot puffy jacket, and a Marmot Precip for a shell.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #39 on: November 02, 2015, 05:46:16 PM

Just picked up a good deal on a Snugpak Sleeka Jacket for a very reasonable £30 including postage.  Wore it out last night and it's certainly warm.  It's very much a sleeping-bag in jacket form, though I wouldn't want folks to think it's bulky, 'cos it's not.  It is however very generously cut, so if you want a close fitting jacket I'd definitely order a size smaller than normal.

I have one of those too  :tu: My first was a casualty in floods at the boatyard several years ago, and had to get myself a replacement. Excellent jacket, though I'm not a big fan of the toggle thingy on the back of the neck

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #40 on: November 02, 2015, 05:53:30 PM
I have a Columbia I wear for rain and slight warmth. I really want to get a North Face. I have a few hunting jackets for when it gets real cold. One of them (forgot the brand) has impressed me over the years. I have never once been cold while wearing it.
I'm the milk man!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: November 03, 2015, 12:24:54 AM

I have one of those too  :tu: My first was a casualty in floods at the boatyard several years ago, and had to get myself a replacement. Excellent jacket, though I'm not a big fan of the toggle thingy on the back of the neck

Good to hear from a long term owner. :tu: I agree the toggle on the collar is a bit out of place.  Other than that I'm very happy with it so far.

us Offline anon

Reply #42 on: November 10, 2015, 10:13:06 PM
I wear an American Eagle zippered hoodie.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #43 on: November 12, 2015, 07:06:51 PM
I have two jacketa that I use often.  One is a surplus German Army jacket, in the old Flecktarn camo pattern.  It's fairly light, with tons of pockets.  I've had it about 15 years now, and I absolutely love it.  For cooler weather like today, my old leather jacket is perfect.  Pig leather, very soft.  I've had it for ten years now, and it's finally starting to show it a bit.  No tears, the black dye is fading in spots.  No biggie, enhances the look. :)  I've had people stop me on the streets and try to buy it right off of me!  For cold weather I have my pea coat.  It was a Christmas present to myself 6-7 years ago, and it's great. :tu:  If anyone's looking for a new winter coat, take a look at the pea coat.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #44 on: November 12, 2015, 07:11:58 PM
I rarely wear a jacket.  as long as it is above 20F (-7C) I wear no jacket,  I may or may not wear long sleeves.
below 20F (-7C) down to -10F (-23C)  I wear a wind breaker or thin jacket
below that I will wear a light jacket that is thicker than the wind breaker.

I usually snow blow in no jacket, but I do wear gloves.
If I can help, let me know 

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: November 13, 2015, 05:14:18 AM
Jacket?

I would have to get about 2000kms (1250mi for you crazy kids) worth of lost before I needed a jacket.

However, when I do get that lost, I rock a Drizabone riding coat. Because straya

(I keep a North Face rain jacket in the pack, it weighs about 600g, for "preparedness" sake, but mostly I just get wet instead of trying to dig it out)

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #46 on: November 13, 2015, 06:11:37 AM
Been using a Whitewater Outdoors jacket(Advantage camo pattern and is right around hip length so not too short) for 9+ years now, fine for Georgia fall/winter temps.  The microfiber shell/hood keeps the rain off.  It has a zipper for a liner which I passed up on when I originally bought the jacket on sale from Sportsman's Guide, and the few times it actually gets cold enough with single digits or teen low temps where I wish I had it, just wearing another shirt layer underneath makes up for not having it.  I do wish it had more pockets for edc gear, gadgets, and gizmos.   :D

I keep a ziplock bag in one pocket with a SAK(Wenger S18), single cell CR123/RCR123 angle head flashlight, spare batteries, paracord, Bic Mini lighter, peppermints, handkerchief/bandana, paperclip and safety pin, the other pocket has a skullcap/beanie and gloves in it.  I have a Photon Freedom white LED light on one zipper pull and a red LED model on another, and a brass pico pill fob with aspirin in it on the liner zipper pull.  There's a SUN compass cord lock on one side of the hood cinch cord and a Black Crater LED cord lock on the other side.   8)

November 2006 photo with the jacket on in the backyard watching for meteors.

And watching again for meteor showers last month(Oct 2015).

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #47 on: November 27, 2015, 11:36:47 AM
i've long been a fan of lowe alpine - on my 3rd, got about 8-10 years of use each out of the previous two.

Mostly day to day and hill walking use, I wouldn't been overly hard on my gear. My latest is a Lowe Alpine Teton, nice jacket, fits a bit big though - haven't had a chance to really try it out yet, but no shortage of rain where i live  :(

i think they stopped making jackets for a few years, dunno the full story, but the quality of my latest one seems on a par with earlier jackets.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: April 16, 2017, 07:31:38 PM
Necro thread!  >:D

I just picket up a Trespass waterproof down jacket for £30 from TK Maxx.  I admit that even in a Scottish summer this might be a bit OTT but at the price it seemed to too good a deal to pass on.  Not a contender for a hiking jacket either, but might be very welcome on the shooting range next winter.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%