Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox wins contract for new knife for the Switzerland Army

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.

The new knife is olive green and has a range of new features (Victorinox)

The Swiss army has chosen to continue buying soldiers' knives from the company that's been supplying them for more than a century – Victorinox.

The firm, which is Europe's largest cutlery maker and is based in Ibach in the central canton of Schwyz, on Monday signed a contract with the army's procurement unit, armasuisse, for 75,000 knives valued at SFr1.38 million ($1.22 million).

The decision quashes fears that spread at home and abroad that a company outside Switzerland, including from China where many fakes are made, would be chosen to supply the knives for the army.

A former member of the Swiss Senate last year even launched a petition called "Soldiers' pocket knives only Swiss made".

Under rules of the Geneva-based World Trade Organization, contracts worth more than SFr250,000 have to be offered – with some exceptions - for tender internationally.

Not surprisingly, there was relief and satisfaction at the Swiss company. The head of marketing at Victorinox, Urs Wyss, admitted the company hadn't been 100 per cent sure of securing the deal.

"We had of course a lot of confidence. We in Ibach are very glad that we again get this order for the new soldier knives because it's a question of image when you can deliver to the Swiss army," he told swissinfo.
Old age

The current Swiss soldier's knife, introduced in 1961, had been showing signs of old age.

"We noticed for example that modern weapon systems need a Phillips screwdriver and the old one didn't have such a tool," the head of communications at armasuisse, Kaj-Gunnar Sievert, told swissinfo.

"We asked seven companies from Switzerland and abroad to offer us a knife and in the end we had four different types of knives that were tested." Tests took place in the laboratory and in the field in July.

"Just to give you an idea, we made crash tests with these knives. We used them till they broke. We gave them to specials units in the armed forces and they used them during regular military training and exercises.

"In the end you have a mix between three different criteria – the technical, military and commercial aspects, and then we chose the model with the best price/performance ratio."
« We didn't hold a beauty contest... »

Asked whether any knives of the competition came close to the performance of those from Victorinox, Sievert put it this way: "We didn't hold a beauty contest so in the end you have a winner and the others were not as good as the winning knife," he said.

Some might argue that the Swiss knife was always going to win, a claim that Sievert also put in its place.

"We are the procurement agency and we have a process in which we test and evaluate all the materials. We were looking for the best for our soldiers."

The knife, which will be handed out for the first time during next year's recruit school, is rather different from the current model, which features silver anodised handles.

"It's a new generation of knife... you can for example open the big blade with one hand because it has a one-hand opening system. It's a lockable blade. You can also lock the screwdriver," Wyss explained.

"The handle is also different because there are two different plastics which are injected together – a hard one and a softer one, which means that when you put it on a table, it doesn't slide away. And the shape is more ergonomic than the model of 1961. You see quite a big difference."

The big question army knife enthusiasts and collectors will have is whether they too will be able to buy such a new knife.

"The contract is being specified right now but we think it will also be available in the retail business for the public," Wyss said.

Victorinox also makes knives for the armies of Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Malaysia and India, as well as for special army units in various other countries.

swissinfo, Robert Brookes

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:18:03 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Victorinox wins contract for new Switzerland army knife
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 06:54:03 PM
Good news indeed :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 07:16:12 PM
1.22 million dollars doesn't seem like a lot of money for a military contract (usa here :P)
they must be selling them for a song! (16.26 usd each) Why the Boss has more in stuff than that! :D

I would guess it is better to say they supply the soldiers then the profit (business sense)
We should have our own OHT with colors and Logo!! :salute:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:24:49 PM by WhichDawg »

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 07:16:25 PM
Yes this is good news  :D I think I may invest in one of these .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence

us Offline WhichDawg

Re: Victorinox wins contract for new knife for the Switzerland Army
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 07:31:23 PM
Its already up on Vics Website

http://www.victorinox.com/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=581&lang=E

Dunc

wow they are proud! honestly, I think the OHT would be great for any army.
you can't beat all that it has, for the weight and fit.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 07:55:00 PM
Thank God China didn't get the contract.
(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 08:10:18 PM
1.22 million dollars doesn't seem like a lot of money for a military contract (usa here :P)
they must be selling them for a song! (16.26 usd each) Why the Boss has more in stuff than that! :D

I would guess it is better to say they supply the soldiers then the profit (business sense)
We should have our own OHT with colors and Logo!! :salute:

It mentioned 75,000 knives ordered, they must be giving each soldier 3 each :D

I'm sure that the knives actually sold to the Swiss Army are pretty insignificant, but the marketing slogan that will inevitably follow will be priceless!

Imagine, just imagine, if the Swiss army started kitting their troops out with Leatherman - lol - this forum would go into meltdown.

Anyway, for me, it's right and proper and common sense (both economic and military) has prevailed. Simply, this is how it was meant to be.

Well done Vic  :salute:

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 08:20:55 PM
good points Dave! maybe the Pope's guard gets em too :P

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 08:23:14 PM
Speaking of Leathermans why didn't they go for the Swisstool?
(

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 08:32:49 PM

Several Armies do including the Dutch and Australian .

Dunc

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 03:10:37 AM

Several Armies do including the Dutch and Australian .

Dunc
                   There is some logic to it,the Swiss military has only recently deployed beyond it's borders,and only then a small detachment to the Balkans,and always close to it's heavy maintenance depots.
I

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 10:35:43 AM
Does this mean I have to get a genuine soldier before they become rare?!

What does this mean for Wenger?

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 10:47:42 AM
The world will end as we know it if the swiss army is carrying a chinese made knife :(
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 04:44:58 PM
"We noticed for example that modern weapon systems need a Phillips screwdriver and the old one didn't have such a tool," the head of communications at armasuisse, Kaj-Gunnar Sievert, told swissinfo.
I guess no one has told the Swiss Army that the can opener works great as a Phillips screwdriver.  :D :D
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 02:39:06 PM
I might have missed it in the article, but does anyone know when the contract for the knew knife begins?  2009, 2010?
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD