Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

AstroScan - Backyard Astronomy

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
AstroScan - Backyard Astronomy
on: June 23, 2016, 02:50:17 AM
  Ordered an Edmund Scientific AstroScan way bay on October 10th, 2010. Have used it to see many things UP THERE!

This was right out of unboxing, sharing the photo is a Leatherman BO Surge & Juice KF4. :D

Over time I acquired a 2.5x Barlow lens to get in on sites like Jupiter, Mars (blurry), and Saturn (WOW!). Have a Plossl F28, Plossl F15, ans Moon filter cause the bright moon will give you a headache and blind the SMURF out of you. Wanted to get an Image Erector for this 4 inch Newtonian Refactor but Edmund Scientific pulled a lot of the parts offline claiming they need a lower cost manufacturer. So never did get more items.

Can say everything that came with the kit version is perfect for viewing the Heavens above, save for perhaps a camera mount - that and a way to keep that blasted spherical surface steady when trying to freely take photos.

Tried a reverse view for a solar eclipse back in May 20th, 2012 while using an HP tablet which was simulcasting SLOOH's coverage. Then this HUGE cloud mass came in and ruined most of the opportunity. :rant:

Over time I tried an Olympus Cyber-Shot digital camera and got lucky on a few moon pics.  :D

Have been considering getting a HookUpz more so now that I have a better phone. Will have to do research to see if it's compatible to an Xiaomi Mi Note and/or Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime.

Then perhaps I can capture Saturn and her beautiful rings on camera. Can honestly say, seeing Saturn with one's own eyes is awe inspiring! Even Jupiter was amazing, and seeing those moons moving slowly. Only problem was one almost had to be a contortionist to get the really good views. :rofl:

Need to get it back outside and see what I can come up with. Bad part living here is right when my eyes get adjusted to the darkness some smurfhole comes driving in and blinds the smurf out of me with their headlamps. or the neighbors think I'm staring in their windows even though I have the telescope pointed UP!
  And going out in the foothills gives ya the creeps without a dog nearby.

When it wasn't in use it came in handy as a hat rack. However that shelf gave way a few years later and got moved.

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: AstroScan - Backyard Astronomy
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 03:03:33 AM
I had a Tasco unit years ago.  Nothing special, just the kind you get from Sears, but I loved it.  It really didn't survive many of our moves and so it's really not functional these days and I miss it.  I remember being in my mid teens and seeing the moon so close I could almost count the craters, and seeing Jupiter's big red spot for the first time... for real.  No pictures, no artificially enhances colors, just me, some glass, sunlight and the biggest planet in our solar system.  It was a magnificent feeling.

I have wanted to get back into it over the years but the $$ involved in doing it right keep me from ever actually making a move.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 03:14:30 AM
  I see that Edmund Scientific has a newer Millennium that appears to be a familiar First Scope clone. :think: $220ish
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:16:07 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 03:24:05 AM
  Back in the mid 90's Marlboro had those catalogs, where I got my first Leatherman from - the PST. Think was a couple years later they had a Meade telescope. Had to work overtime scrounging for coupons to get it since I don't smoke. Got just enough point and ordered it.

What a POS it was. Looked like they hired 8 year olds with modeling cement to glue the optics together! Smears, smudges, even parts had so much cement no light got through. Took forever and a day to get Marlboro to fix it, and they send replacement coupons back after the closing date of the catalog. Had to wait for the next year to buy something.

Wished I would of known about the Astroscan back when I did live up in the mountains. Can only imagine what I could of seen in a blacked out area at night.  :drool:
¬ Outback in Idaho

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 01:30:20 PM
We are good to go.   ;)   :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 02:01:06 PM
Those are some awesome pics Xelkos :o I like the close up of the moon :cheers: Never have had a telescope but were I live it is dark in the nights after I turn off all the house lights and that would make for some good viewing :D I have set out there before and watched several different events but it is usually to late in the night when most things happen and I have to get up at 4:15 in the mornings for work so I try not to stay up to late ;)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 04:13:36 PM
I have looked at those for years...will have to take second look now.  Just use binos now so that would complement my gear.

Thanks.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 05:50:16 PM
Not wanting to derail this fine thread :tu: but what types of binoculars would you guys recommend for a casual stargazer as myself :think:

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 06:13:52 PM
 Best Astronomy Binoculars (Editors' Choice)

Think with optics and the night sky you want to keep your image still and have large optics to gather enough light to see at night.

Personally, if money was not an object, I'd get a Lightbridge telescope!  :drool:

But we're in the $700 to $2000 range of more advanced telescope where you can attach real cameras to.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:15:12 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 08:19:15 PM
Not wanting to derail this fine thread :tu: but what types of binoculars would you guys recommend for a casual stargazer as myself :think:

Any pair of quality 7X50's are a great start for causal viewing and can be affordably found.  Look for BK-4 prisms in the description.

Later on, you may want to move up to larger apertures/magnifications but there are downsides to moving up too. Go to big and they get hard to handhold and keep steady. Then thay have to be mounted and some of the freedom of lazily scanning the night sky is gone. I have both 7X50 and 10 X70 Nikons so can do both but use the 7X50 more these days.

Here's a pic of my sky gear.

I use to have big scopes (back when I was younger and more dedicated) but binos suit me better now.  That said, I am looking at that Astroscan!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 08:20:33 PM
Those are some awesome pics Xelkos :o I like the close up of the moon :cheers: Never have had a telescope but were I live it is dark in the nights after I turn off all the house lights and that would make for some good viewing :D I have set out there before and watched several different events but it is usually to late in the night when most things happen and I have to get up at 4:15 in the mornings for work so I try not to stay up to late ;)

+1!!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 12:48:46 AM
Thanks for the options guys I will have to check some out :cheers: It is dark enough around my house at night to see the stars rather well and at certain times of the year I can see Mars with the naked eye if I know where to look :cheers:

Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 01:44:42 AM
Get a tablet or laptop and install Stellarium. It is a great program that you can set to a specific latitude and longitude, anyelwhere in the world, and see what's going on around you at any given moment.
There is even a night mode, red on black mode.

At work atm so can't give a URL. Google knows where Stellarium is though. ;)
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 03:53:33 AM
Get a tablet or laptop and install Stellarium. It is a great program that you can set to a specific latitude and longitude, anyelwhere in the world, and see what's going on around you at any given moment.
There is even a night mode, red on black mode.

At work atm so can't give a URL. Google knows where Stellarium is though. ;)

Thanks for that bit of advice Xelkos :tu: I shall find and install :D

Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 10:35:40 AM
  Found an old photo I made for an old Leatherman contest.

How many Leatherman items can you find? :D
Astroscan.jpg
* Astroscan.jpg (Filesize: 210.58 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 06:16:49 PM
Seven?
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 10:00:29 PM

Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 11:48:48 PM
  You guys... trust me, there are more that 7 Leatherman items there... :twak:

That's not counting the Leatherman shirt that somehow evaded the printing on the shirt... :think:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:49:49 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%