Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fish River hike challenge 4064

No Life Club Posts: 3,614
Re: Fish River hike challenge
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2016, 08:23:59 PM »
First day's lessons learned we started walking in the dark......photos dried up a bit.

Day 2 was a fresh hell, not downhill but very rough terrain.
Unfortunately we couldn't stop the enjoy the sulfur  springs......not even photos  :facepalm:

Did (sort of) get the wild horses living not far from there

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,724
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2016, 10:44:51 PM »
Wow, what a bleak (but interesting) landscape. Keep the photos coming....  :tu:

To lose that next 10kg I would look at diet as much as exercise. I recently stopped buying things like biscuits and chocolate, having nuts instead if I feel like a snack, and my belly is disappearing. :)

Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 56,866
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2016, 11:44:14 PM »
Some great pics so far GG :salute: Looks like a scenic trail even if barren :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Very beautiful in the first pic :like:
« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2016, 07:47:22 AM »
Will do as I get time, unfortunately didn't get half of what I wanted....

I've lost over 40kg in the past year and a half, basically on the Banting diet.
I refuse to give up chocolate, drink too much beer (and too much in general  :facepalm:) which probably explains why I haven't lost 20kg more.....

But we have to enjoy life as well, so my plan for now is just less of everything and to start exercising a bit more seriously....

The fittest and toughest member of our group was also the oldest at 45, so I still have time!  :rofl:   
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,458 Gone

dks cy

« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2016, 08:28:05 AM »
Nice!

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Sr. Member Posts: 280
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2016, 09:56:46 AM »
I've lost over 40kg in the past year and a half, basically on the Banting diet.

That is excellent!  :tu:

I've been on a low carb high fat (LCHF/Banting) diet for the last 15 months, with similar good results. It might not work for everyone, but it certainly works for me. I've lost 20kg in 9 months, and is now back to the weight before I got married 12 years ago. My weight has been stable for the last 6 months, and my BMI hovers around 24.5 - 25. If anyone told me this was possible two years ago, I would have laughed in their faces. LCHF has really changed my life for the better.

It cannot be easy to pack food for a hike on LCHF... Very difficult to take fresh meat, veggies and dairy etc. and stay away from the processed foods and sugar/carbs.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:59:12 AM by Brock O Lee »

Hans
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2016, 12:36:25 PM »

It cannot be easy to pack food for a hike on LCHF... Very difficult to take fresh meat, veggies and dairy etc. and stay away from the processed foods and sugar/carbs.

Firstly, well done!

You hit the nail on the head, I constantly worried about how and what and in what form I could take the fat I needed.......

My experience was completely different from what I expected.......moral of the story is we eat too much, way too much, and for that hike the ideal fuel is carbs.....sugar specifically.

I was at the point where I could feel the increase in energy a few minutes after eating some SuperC's for example.
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2016, 09:26:12 AM »
double post
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,378 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2016, 03:19:46 PM »
What a beautiful area- and yes, it does look somewhat hellish, but you have managed it and no one can take that away from you!  I am so jealous of your trip, especially since I doubt I'd ever be able to manage something like that!

So.... when do you go next?  :D

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,368
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2016, 04:47:17 PM »
Really enjoyed your follow up to the trip.  Now that you've completed it the experience gained will be invaluable for future endeavors.       

Esse Quam Videri
Wielder of the Bow of Banishment. Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 31,284 El Presidente del Fan Club Micky D
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2016, 06:21:32 PM »
What an excellent looking trip Gerhard.  :cheers:

My knees are screaming at the thought of a 32kg pack!! :ahhh  My pack for a three night winter trip normally tips the scales at around 20-22kg and I'd like to make it lighter.  Like you though I've learned from experience and have stopped packing stuff that I'm not going to need or consume; things like large bottles of brandy for instance. ;)

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2016, 08:32:10 PM »
If you look carefully you'll see a Vespa, there's another one we missed, you can read all about it http://www.fishrivercanyon1968vespaexpedition.com/Vespa_in_the_Fsh_River_Canyon/1968_Vespa_Canyon_Expediti.html here

« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2016, 08:38:05 PM »
German war grave:

That bit of sun is bad news.....beautiful as it is.....

A rock

« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2016, 08:42:45 PM »
Right up ahead the ugliness starts.....

Unimpressed  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2016, 08:47:35 PM »
One of the shortcuts, you basically cut over the oxbow

And you hope there's water at the other end....

« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2016, 09:01:45 PM »
This was us, best case scenario from 11am-3pm......rocks become comfy as long as they're in the shade

That's me day 4 with some man-made shade and making water with the Sawyer.
My stomach was upset, had no appetite and the mood was pretty crappy by then  :D

I was not alone, on day one I had a panicked moment when I couldn't get the snaps undone to get my pack off.....
In this photo I was ahead of the group, reached some shade, took of my pack and just lay down on the rocks and moved around till it hurt the least.  I won't go into getting up from there.....

« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »
WASTED.........youth!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2016, 09:08:52 PM »
What an excellent looking trip Gerhard.  :cheers:

My knees are screaming at the thought of a 32kg pack!! :ahhh  My pack for a three night winter trip normally tips the scales at around 20-22kg and I'd like to make it lighter.  Like you though I've learned from experience and have stopped packing stuff that I'm not going to need or consume; things like large bottles of brandy for instance. ;)

I want to get down to 105-110kg and the pack down to 25kg'ish.  In the winter the brandy/whiskey is a must, but for sure next time I'm taking beer.....dreamed about the stuff!  :cheers:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,688
« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2016, 11:25:31 PM »
Enjoying the pics and your commentary about the hike! Really like the pic of the big rock.    :tu:      :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:27:01 PM by David »

What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,375 Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2016, 12:34:03 AM »
Enjoying the pics and your commentary about the hike! Really like the pic of the big rock.    :tu:      :)

Like he said ^^

I'd love to have a go at something like this but would need to get a lot fitter first.

« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2016, 12:34:47 AM »
Thanks for the updates, it's always nice to see and read about other people's adventures.

I'm getting a hip flask so that I can take whiskey on my trips.  :drink:

Global Moderator Point Of No Return Posts: 37,857
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2016, 12:37:04 AM »
Nice pics, the vespa one is a crazy scale.   :like:   :like:
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2016, 12:37:48 AM »

Like he said ^^

I'd love to have a go at something like this but would need to get a lot fitter first.

You get fitter by doing small versions of this.  :pok:

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,375 Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2016, 12:56:26 AM »

Like he said ^^

You get fitter by doing small versions of this.  :pok:

Oh I do. I walk/hike a lot (just trawl back through the shutter shop forum lol). But there's a big step up to the sort of conditions / distances Gerhard has achieved and you can only get so far day-hiking.

« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2016, 07:37:58 AM »
I think most of you are underestimating yourselves........there was a bunch of old fat people on that trail!  :cheers:

Most of us can do a lot more and go much further than we know, my "fitness" comes from the right diet the past 18 months and walking my dogs about 4km mostly 3 times a week.....that's not really exercise!  :rofl:

As long as you major joints are in passable shape most people can make it..........or strap up and do it anyway  >:D

My blisters aren't close to healed, but we're doing the 16km at Okapuka this Sunday to keep in shape and improve......I'm eating like a pig since we got back!  :rofl:
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2016, 07:49:50 AM »
You don't look overweight - you must be quite tall if you want to get down to 110kg.
I'm 6'2" and around 96kg.

I think most of you are underestimating yourselves........ Most of us can do a lot more and go much further than we know...

Too true. I reckon nearly anyone who can run 5km regularly can do a half marathon with a little bit of training. Mind over matter.
It's when you get about 30km into a marathon that bits start breaking down or falling off.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:53:45 AM by Syncop8r »

Sr. Member Posts: 280
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2016, 10:59:12 AM »
Thanks for the pictures!

Balmy desert winter weather, eh? Wonder how it feels like in high summer...

Hans
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2016, 01:26:31 PM »
Thanks for the pictures!

Balmy desert winter weather, eh? Wonder how it feels like in high summer...

Well, the Fish empties into the Orange River, and from personal experience I can tell you during high summer I drove to the river at 6am, by 9am I couldn't stand it anymore and went home.......these trips were just to get out of the house a bit, not for fishing or anything productive.

Last year or the year before they had rain and -8C temps at some stage, I sure wouldn't want to experience that........
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2016, 07:48:36 AM »
Only 1 or 2 more pics to share, will get to those soon.........but first a small update....

For sure loosing 3 toe nails, 2 on my left and 1 on right foot.  :rofl:

I believe 90% of the damage gets done on the first day during the descent, you can only tighten your laces so much......

Oh..........I'll spare you further photos of my feet!  :rofl:
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2016, 08:01:42 AM »
I hate descents!  :td:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $641.94