Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fish River hike challenge

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Fish River hike challenge
Reply #30 on: July 07, 2016, 09:05:38 AM
Wrapped 2 10Kg dumbbells in couch cushions and chucked them in an old yard sale backpack I have and went around the block (3.5km)..........what an eye opener!  :rofl: 

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #31 on: July 07, 2016, 11:54:22 AM
Wrapped 2 10Kg dumbbells in couch cushions and chucked them in an old yard sale backpack I have and went around the block (3.5km)..........what an eye opener!  :rofl:

:D

Add 5+ liters of water, and go walk some hills or rocky riverbeds... ;)

Once you are used to this nothing will surprise you on the actual hike.  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:55:25 AM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: July 07, 2016, 02:36:13 PM
 :o I think after the once around the block with that weight and I might stroke out :think:  :rofl:

I really do need to get back into shape ::)

The big day is getting closer I am excited for you :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: July 25, 2016, 07:30:18 AM
I was down for in effect two weeks thanks to flu, lost a lot of time......so jump in the deep end!

I got my backpack, new sleeping bag, gas stove and a few other odd& ends on Friday, more photos to follow.

Packed in almost everything except the food and I'm at 18kg....

Went for a 16km hike at Okapuka ranch just outside town.  Less than 30 minutes from my front door and I saw Springbok, Rooibok, Kudu, Giraffe, Waterbuck, warthogs, baboons, crocodiles x2.......amazing place.

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 07:38:04 AM
This was on top of the first unending climb, we had a cold front coming in by I was drenched in sweat by then....about 8am.

Sorry, no pics of anything interesting, the group is going again in 2 weeks and I'll get better pics.

The elevation changes were hell, the last hill I got leg cramps, thought I was dying.,.....
I've had the least preparation time than the rest, so it was good to see I beat the groups time on this trail by 1 hour.....
I'm not dead this morning, so I'm mostly ready I guess  :whistle:

The terrain:

The frown got worse.....

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 25, 2016, 08:48:50 AM
The training sounds like it's an adventure in itself. Good work! :tu:
Did you enjoy it after you got throught the pain?
18kg sounds a bit on the heavy side... 
Cool scenery - pics of your gear? :pok:

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: July 25, 2016, 09:45:29 AM
I feel a bit better about the hike since this is supposed to be worse than the toughest day in the Fish River.

Unfortunately I'm looking at about 25Kg load at the start, I had most of the gear in but no food.
Stuff coming out and stuff going in, but 25kg is the minimum for men in general.

Pics to follow

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: July 25, 2016, 06:55:54 PM
How are the boots working out? 

Hydrate prior to your exertion to help with cramping as well as calcium and potassium ( bananas and fortified foods or dark green veggies ).  I know that helped me when I was a avid runner.  Enjoy the journey.     

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: July 25, 2016, 08:37:51 PM
Awesome training method :o :D

The training does look like an adventure itself :cheers:

Excited for you  :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #39 on: July 26, 2016, 01:29:17 AM
I am just catching up on this now.  Holy crap I'm envious!

It looks like you are putting in a lot of effort and I imagine you are going to be glad you did- or perhaps be upset you didn't do more!

Still, regardless of what happens, this looks like the trip of a lifetime, and I really wish I could do it with you!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #40 on: July 26, 2016, 10:25:00 AM
Hey Gerhard, your training will pay off. If you keep this up until a few days before your hike it will be a walk in the park.

Yes, 25 kg sounds about right for a 5-day self sufficient trek. Does that include water?

It will be ideal if you can shave weight under 20kgs, all in with food and water, but that's not so easy. Will you guys be carrying tents?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:29:13 AM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 26, 2016, 12:58:08 PM
Hi Everybody

Aloha - I wore the boots to work the past few weeks, and on Sunday I had short stockings with thick wool socks over that.....and anklets.
The anklets (gaiters) were a revelation, and in general I'm confident the boots will be worn in on time.

Grant - And here I an, envious of all the walking trails and wilderness areas (non desert) you guys have access to  :tu:  :rofl:  This is a major financial outlay, to be honest I'll be done with the hike and the backpack won't even be fully paid yet, buddy arrange an account for me  :facepalm:
That means the only way to justify all this is viewing this hike as the first of many.  Why I waited till my 40's I have no idea........guess I had to get over smoking and all the other smurf!  :rofl:

Brock - Regular walks with my dogs and walking this trail twice is probably not enough preparation, but I didn't have a lot of time and the bout of flu ruined my schedule.......I'll just have to tough it out....
I plan on carrying 4 x 750ml (stainless) water bottles, but I'm considering adding a bladder or something.  We'll be filtering and disinfecting water from the pools in the river.
The husband and wife team that invited me got her pack down to 18kg with some help from hubby.
Considering my size and appetite, I would consider myself lucky if the pack is about 25kg.........
No tents, ground sheet, yoga mat and sleeping bag.......got a new -10G...........mummy bag which I'm sure I'll hate by the end of that week.....

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #42 on: July 26, 2016, 01:59:30 PM
Without a tent I think sub 20kg should be very possible.

Good idea on the bladder, it will save some more weight.

What is your plans around food? Any heavy items like canned foods, wet foods, fresh meat, bottles of wine/beer? :D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:01:13 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 27, 2016, 08:52:35 AM
We'll see, I plan to package daily food parcels this weekend which should get me closer to the final weight.

On the practice hike I had my big knife (now renamed Jon Snow) along which probably won't go, but I was surprised to find out with sheath it's only 605g........not a lot saved there!

Food is a problem considering my substantial needs and new diet, largely driven by what I now know are food allergies. So far I have the following planned and some of it bought already.
Daily pack contains:
1. 100g Almonds
2. 100g dried mango strips
3. John West foil pack tuna
4. Chocolate bar
5. Biltong.....probably 200g

We're taking frozen meat for dinners, as soon as everything is unfrozen the lot goes on the fire that evening to be reheated the next evening........after that I'm still working on.
I'm partial to Kassler chops, but I'm not sure how long those will last.
I want to try instant mash potato or pasta in combination with biltong to see how filling that would be for dinner.  I want to take cream because the fat is the fuel I need, but also not sure how long that will last.
I'm slightly stumped by a portable fat source, fatty beef biltong is an option, not the best option, and it could go rancid as well...

I don't sleep well when I'm hungry  :rofl:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #44 on: July 27, 2016, 09:44:33 AM
I don't sleep well when I'm hungry  :rofl:

You will probably have no trouble sleeping with all the walking you will be doing!

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: July 27, 2016, 10:32:20 AM
I'm a 5 hours sleep per night guy.....on good nights.

Going on my experience Sunday I'll want to eat a horse and still only sleep 5 hours  :rofl:

us Offline David

Reply #46 on: July 27, 2016, 11:01:39 PM
Hope you have a great adventure on the Fish River hike GG. Im sure all your preparations will pay off.    :tu:     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: July 28, 2016, 04:53:26 PM
Hope you have a great adventure on the Fish River hike GG. Im sure all your preparations will pay off.    :tu:     :)

+1 :cheers:

Hope you get your pack packed the way you want and in or under the weight you are going for :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: July 29, 2016, 08:56:24 AM
I was discussing doing the Düsternbrook 90km next, and my buddy told me about a customer they had in the shop recently who told him how they did the Fish River the minimalist way back in the day.....
Two pairs of underwear, space blanket, basically a small day pack with minimal supplies......

This really fascinates me, and I can't help thinking if I can get my weight down to 95-100kg I want to try again, take only a lifestraw, biltong and some dried fruit and try to do it in 3 days......   

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: August 01, 2016, 09:45:57 PM
My practice buddy......garage sale backpack with 2 x 10kg dumbbells.......and some duct tape.  :rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: August 01, 2016, 10:18:16 PM
You have 3 weeks from today :tu: I am guessing you are getting nervous and excited at the same time :cheers: Very cool trip to be planned 8)

us Offline David

Reply #51 on: August 02, 2016, 02:58:55 AM
My practice buddy......garage sale backpack with 2 x 10kg dumbbells.......and some duct tape.  :rofl:

(Image removed from quote.)

It gets the job done so thats all that really matters.    :tu:      :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 02, 2016, 08:47:05 AM
Slightly bigger than normal man with wonky backpack walking 2 dogs at dusk.......seemingly in a hurry....
People look, I give a smurf!  :rofl:

We're walking Okapuka again this weekend, at least I'm walking it with most of the group this time.

My bag is packed, busy refining and buying the few things I can still afford to buy  :facepalm:

Still a bit worried about food, which is ridiculous.......

Two things I'm struggling with, whether Jon Snow (knife) at 605g is making the trip, and then I'm very torn about taking my (much heavier) Rocky sandals or to spend money on a new pair or Crocs.....
I view the Rockies as a solid backup in case of boot failure, but they are heavy.......
As far as the knife is concerned, the only reason to take it along came from the closest thing we have to a troop leader..........."the hills have eyes...."  :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: August 04, 2016, 03:04:52 PM
I'm really excited for this trip, so I can only imagine how excited you are for it.

If there's anything we can do to help you get ready, let us know. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 04, 2016, 03:20:28 PM
Grant,

I'm supposed to get my Suzuki Gypsy today, doesn't look like it's going to happen, but hopefully tomorrow the 3 month wait is over.

Between a new car and preparations for the hike I'm barely touching ground.

I got some maps today that I'll post later, and hopefully this weekend I'll have the last items and post some pics of my setup.

I'm a bit worried about my fitness, not that I won't make it, but if you suffer too much you can't enjoy the journey....

.......There have been reports of light rain, so the hike might get interesting.  We're just not used to or really equipped for rain  :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: August 04, 2016, 08:57:52 PM
Northridge 75L backpack:

Contents of the top pocket:

First Ascent poncho
spare sunglasses
Leatherman Core
paracord
fire kit
Life straw
space blankets x 2 and duct tape x 2
metalized garbage bags x 2
Sawyer mini filter
Mora Bushcraft black
Sea to Summit towel

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: August 04, 2016, 09:05:33 PM
Fire kit:

Original (big) Light my Fire ferro rod
Magnesium bar
storm matches
BIC
pencil sharpener

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: August 04, 2016, 09:11:40 PM
Too bad so sad, heard today there's only fite wood from the 3rd day, so Jon Snow in all it's 605g of awesomeness got the cut  :cry:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: August 05, 2016, 01:43:56 AM
Its getting very exciting.  Bummer Jon Snow didn't make the "cut". 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: August 05, 2016, 02:00:08 AM
Make sure you have spare batteries for the camera too- we will not be forgiving if your camera dies and you have nothing to show us when you get back!   :pok:

You won't be happy when we make you do it again....   :ahhh

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%