Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool RX: A Brief Review

JJR512 · 39 · 8583

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Skeletool RX: A Brief Review
Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 11:04:52 PM
Nice pic and great info about the oxygen wrench function :cheers: Looks like they would have added a bit of steel to strengthen it and added it as a feature though ???

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 02:05:35 AM

The above photo is the RX's frame being used on an oxygen tank valve, as I described earlier. It fits quite nicely, but as you can see, some more of the orange coating rubbed off. When turning the valve, there is some minor flexing in the frame, but nothing it seems it can't handle.

Nice going thinking outside the box. I would have never thought of that. It sucks that the orange coating came off.

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 07:39:58 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

The above photo is the RX's frame being used on an oxygen tank valve, as I described earlier. It fits quite nicely, but as you can see, some more of the orange coating rubbed off. When turning the valve, there is some minor flexing in the frame, but nothing it seems it can't handle.

Also, thank you to everyone who took the time to say "good job" or anything similar. I'm not a professional reviewer, I don't have a website or a sponsored YouTube channel or anything like that, and I rarely do this kind of thing. So your support and feedback is much appreciated. Thank you! :)
It's a great review,  I really enjoyed. The best part is you could tell it was honest and fair. Thanks again. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 04:38:34 PM
Thanks for the review. I've been eyeing and waiting for LM to start selling the glass breaker bit by itself. Seems like a useful addition. Well it's been a year now. Tempted to try to find a used RX for sale just to get the bit.

Offline JJR512

Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 05:23:15 AM
I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but it just occurred to me that if Leatherman had made the glass breaker tip about half an inch longer, it would stick out through the frame and be usable in the closed position.

I'm not sure if that would be desirable, but if they got the length just right so that it only stuck out a little bit, it wouldn't be dissimilar to many other rescue tools that have exposed glass breaker tips.

Offline JJR512

Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 10:09:03 PM
Thanks for the review. I've been eyeing and waiting for LM to start selling the glass breaker bit by itself. Seems like a useful addition. Well it's been a year now. Tempted to try to find a used RX for sale just to get the bit.

I realize it’s almost two years after this comment was added, but I want to give an update.

The glass breaker bit is still not available for purchase by itself.

I have come across speculation that the reason Leatherman won’t sell the bit separately is that some of their other tools might not be able to handle the impact of striking tempered glass. More specifically, the hinges between the bit holders and tool frames of some of their other tools may not be able to take the strain of large impacts that they weren’t designed for. On the Skeletool, the bit holder isn’t hinged; it’s built into the frame, which makes it much more robust. If a user were to place this bit in a tool that isn’t up to the impact force, it might create warranty situations that might be difficult to deal with. So they choose to just not make it available by itself to avoid those potential situations.

Keep in mind this is all just internet speculation. To my knowledge, Leatherman has not made a statement regarding this.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: August 09, 2018, 02:09:58 PM
I would say you are right that they are afraid that the bit would cause to much stress on other tools :salute: Dont worry about posting in a thread 2 years later either :tu: It is relevant and goes with this thread quite nicely :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: August 09, 2018, 02:51:58 PM
I'm glad you followed up with speculation as to why LM wont sell the bits separately.  That hadn't even occurred to me.  I know many wanted that glass breaker bit.     
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 05:46:13 PM
Great teview ! Very thoughtfull .

I do want one .I like the Orange , as it’s easy to see in subdued light . Sad to hear that the Ceracoat application , doesn’t appear to be of the highest quality .I like Serrated blades , for cutting stuff , you really shouldn’t cut with a knife . The pliers are more in the nature of a bonus . 154 , is a worthwhile upgrade , over 420 .

I’msurprised the glass breaker bit isn’t offered with the MUT , Soldiers dig breaking stuff ! The MUT , should handle the impact pretty well .

For me I see it more as a work EDC , not readily lost  due to the light color !

Thanks for the teview ,

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69