Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[Review] SaberForge Arbiter aka Woooohoooooo

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
[Review] SaberForge Arbiter aka Woooohoooooo
on: June 29, 2016, 09:41:06 PM
REVIEW FURTHER DOWN

What can I say... the girly pink one is mine :D

Full combat ready, awesome (but painful*) fun

*we immediately started fighting, before putting protective gear on :facepalm:
fight.jpg
* fight.jpg (Filesize: 107.86 KB)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:30:15 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline JP

Re: Wooooohooooo
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:59:05 PM
Often in Muay Thai it is the most respected fighter in the club that wears the pink shorts.

It must be the same in the light sabre arena.
😃

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:44:25 PM
Often in Muay Thai it is the most respected fighter in the club that wears the pink shorts.

It must be the same in the light sabre arena.
😃

Well, Samuel L. Mothersmurfer Mace Windu Jackson has a purple saber, that is all I'm saying.

Also, turns out for fighting in the dark purple works really well, you get the least distracted by your own blade.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:53:43 AM
Those are so cool :dd:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 04:36:50 AM
If I get laid off, I might become a Jedi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 04:48:37 AM
Those are so cool :dd:

what he said :dd:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 04:55:42 AM
Protective gear and light sabers reminds me of a certain condom commercial...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 07:25:22 AM
so you're having fun at work
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 11:35:39 AM
Working for the EMPIRE has its perks :D

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 11:45:51 AM
For some strange reason, my wife has had a hankering for a lightsaber all the years I've known her.

She actually looked at me morosely when I showed her the gif.

Where I'm getting at is, where could I get her one, please?

Totally surreal way to practice fencing, I reckon :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 12:08:52 PM
Very cool mate. 8)  There does seem to be a lot of "combat ready" lightsabers out there, which one do you recommend?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 12:16:19 PM
For some strange reason, my wife has had a hankering for a lightsaber all the years I've known her.

How sturdy are those? Enough to hit with some force without peril of breaking them/ruining the light?

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline firiki

Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 12:51:04 PM

How sturdy are those? Enough to hit with some force without peril of breaking them/ruining the light?

I have no idea but I doubt the wifey will use it hard enough to damage it if it's not made of cheese. As I said, strange  :think:

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 01:45:25 PM

i'm gonna guess that you're a lousy shot
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 02:01:17 PM

:rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 02:18:51 PM

:rofl:
I am... but then in the Swiss Military we train at 300m and with my eyes... I know... excuses...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 02:20:58 PM
The SaberForge Arbiter is a combat ready "light saber", meaning you can really use it to bash at each other. With a basic configuration hilt / blade / 6W light / No sound it is running at 145$ and you get a really nice basic "light saber".

Pretty little thing :D

Delivery & Customer Service: Lets kick of with the company itself. When we ordered the sabers back in February the website read "delivery in 6-8 weeks". So after about 10 weeks we inquired on the status and the company reply was "it is still within the 8-12 weeks announced on the website" (indeed that is, what is now on their website), pretty rude reply. Anyway, it finally shipped after more than 14 weeks (it was stuck for 2 weeks in "ready to be shipped" until it finally got shipped).
Considering it is pay upon order, that is just no way to do business. SaberForge is currently the market leader for combat ready lightsabers, with this kind of service attitude I cannot see them to hold on to this position.

Blade & Illumination: We chose a 6W illumination, which is plenty bright (brighter would only irritate more when fighting in the dark). The blade is nice and seems to be able to whitstand a bit of beating. Thanks to a foil on the inside the illuminaiton is pretty even.
After a night of Combat you can see some smudges and scratches on the blade. Even a steel blade will show wear, so that is really nothing to worry about.

Bit of wear on the blade...

Hilt: As you can see, the hilts are quite pretty. They seem solid enough but the finish is a bit rough with lots of sharp points on the handle. Those grips are clearly looks (guided by the movies) over functionality. Not really that much of a problem, as you are supposed to add your own touch to it, so no two look the same.
The arbiter handle measures 265mm in length which is a bit too short to comfortably wield two-handed (especially with sparring gloves, which is highly recommended). However the sabers are so light it is best wielded one-handed.

Pretty...

This is why you should wear sparring gloves... And I got off lightly.

PRO
- Pretty and fun to play with
- Solid constructed with nicely even illumination
- Great price performance ratio

CON
- Long delivery time
- Snotty customer service
- Hilt was designed for looks and has some sharp corners

What can I say... still having a hard time wiping that smirk of my face. Probably one of my best investments in a long time, this is so much fun. Don't bother buying one with sound, you can do this yourself even better :D
20160630_arbiter_01.jpg
* 20160630_arbiter_01.jpg (Filesize: 55.34 KB)
20160630_arbiter_02.jpg
* 20160630_arbiter_02.jpg (Filesize: 95.27 KB)
20160630_arbiter_03.jpg
* 20160630_arbiter_03.jpg (Filesize: 92.86 KB)
20160630_arbiter_04.jpg
* 20160630_arbiter_04.jpg (Filesize: 10.41 KB)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:24:10 PM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 02:26:08 PM

We got ours from SaberForge

The offer pretty good quality at reasonable price and unreasonable shipping times...

The darkness with the bright lights make it a bit irritating... also for show effect it is better to swing the blade wide and a lot, but balance is good enough for decent fighting techniques.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:29:45 PM by Etherealicer »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: [Review] SaberForge Arbiter aka Woooohoooooo
Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 05:32:56 AM
Using the term "combat ready" is debatable, but anyway.

What is the "blade" material? How would it how up against strikes to other surfaces, or is it only suitable for whacking other Arbiters (and tender flesh)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 09:45:56 AM
The term "combat ready" is widely recognized as meaning: Can be used for training-/sport- combat, in contrast to being just ornamental. It also implies that the weapon is blunt for safety reasons.
Think of it like "HD ready", its not really HD but it can be used with a HD signal.
Also every combat sport uses blunted-weapons for sparring, they still can hurt you though. So, it is combat in the sense of "combat sport" and not "kill your enemy combat".

What is the "blade" material? How would it how up against strikes to other surfaces, or is it only suitable for whacking other Arbiters (and tender flesh)
The blade material is polycarbonate :salute:. The blade is durable and there are videos where people whack at trees and other hard surfaces. However, they are made to hack at each other you train against a metal blade it won't last very long.
But this is the thing, every melee weapon degrades. Our metal feathers (training swords with a flexible tip) last about 1-2 years, before you have to replace it. Even the stiff blades (if you would sharpen them you could use it in real, to the death, combat) degrade, the edge needs to be smoothed and such.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:52:50 AM by Etherealicer »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 01:23:09 PM
The term "combat ready" is widely recognized as meaning: Can be used for training-/sport- combat, in contrast to being just ornamental. It also implies that the weapon is blunt for safety reasons.
Think of it like "HD ready", its not really HD but it can be used with a HD signal.
Also every combat sport uses blunted-weapons for sparring, they still can hurt you though. So, it is combat in the sense of "combat sport" and not "kill your enemy combat".

The blade material is polycarbonate :salute:. The blade is durable and there are videos where people whack at trees and other hard surfaces. However, they are made to hack at each other you train against a metal blade it won't last very long.
But this is the thing, every melee weapon degrades. Our metal feathers (training swords with a flexible tip) last about 1-2 years, before you have to replace it. Even the stiff blades (if you would sharpen them you could use it in real, to the death, combat) degrade, the edge needs to be smoothed and such.

That explains the flexible material used by Jon Snow in his blade. It'll last longer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEz1z5Daxmo

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 01:41:24 PM

My understanding is that Melee weapons only degrade if you miss  :P
When they discovered Iron was harder than squishy people, it was a great day for warfare (rocks, copper, depleted uranium, it varies)

Metal, for all it's flaws, is also fairly easy to "touch up" when it gets burs or what-have-you (with a bit of extra effort, if can even be straightened, re tempered, or welded)

I don't know a great deal about polymers, but I imagine there's not much that can be done to "maintain" a polycarbonate "blade"?

[I'm not knocking it, I'm as big a Star Wars fan as you'll find, I'm just holding out for something closer to the real thing (and hover boards)]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 02:08:48 PM

When they discovered Iron was harder than squishy people, it was a great day for warfare (rocks, copper, depleted uranium, it varies)

Metal, for all it's flaws, is also fairly easy to "touch up" when it gets burs or what-have-you (with a bit of extra effort, if can even be straightened, re tempered, or welded)

I don't know a great deal about polymers, but I imagine there's not much that can be done to "maintain" a polycarbonate "blade"?

[I'm not knocking it, I'm as big a Star Wars fan as you'll find, I'm just holding out for something closer to the real thing (and hover boards)]
Yeah, but if your opponent know what he is doing, it gets fairly hard to avoid clashing steel.

In an ideal world you don't block your opponents sword with your own but you glide in. Basically, you catch your opponents blade close to your tip and let it scratch along your blade to dissipate force. However, that is really hard to do, more often the blades simply block each other. It is true that a nick in a metal blade can be fixed and so a traditional sword is by far the longest lasting. With our fencing feathers (see image) are far less durable, they are spring steel so they bend when thrusting. Commonly, what happens is that they get bent, if the kink is bad enough you have to heat them to get them back in shape... that ruins the tempering... and increases the risk of breakage. As you can imagine if a feather breaks that is rather dangerous.

It is probably better to compare polycarbonate blades to wooden sticks. Both are fairly cheap* and once they have a crack you cannot fix them anymore. How durable those polycarbonate tubes really are has to be seen, but with their light weight and flexibility I project that they last longer than wooden sticks. We have broken ash staffs within an hour of training.

* We are currently looking at options but it appears that we can get replacement blades at about $2.50... a feather goes at about $150 and a real longsword blade at about $200 (prices for the blade without hilt).
feather_01.jpg
* feather_01.jpg (Filesize: 86.47 KB)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:00:58 PM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 02:09:18 PM

That explains the flexible material used by Jon Snow in his blade. It'll last longer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEz1z5Daxmo
That is too floppy even for a latex sword... probably only a hilt on an empty sheath :think:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 02:15:34 PM
Damage to metal blades:

Section of my feather (I know not the best picture), but you can easily spot the nicks.

Here you can see how much punishment the unhardened guard takes. A sword blow, even from a blunt sword, can bite quite deep. The edge is still pretty good (my sword is by far the toughest in the group)
Longsword_02.jpg
* Longsword_02.jpg (Filesize: 83.17 KB)
damage.jpg
* damage.jpg (Filesize: 21.72 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 03:03:38 PM

Yeah, but if your opponent know what he is doing, it gets fairly hard to avoid clashing steel.

In an ideal world you don't block your opponents sword with your own but you glide in. Basically, you catch your opponents blade close to your tip and let it scratch along your blade to dissipate force. However, that is really hard to do, more often the blades simply block each other. It is true that a nick in a metal blade can be fixed and so a traditional sword is by far the longest lasting. With our fencing feathers (see image) are far less durable, they are spring steel so they bend when thrusting. Commonly, what happens is that they get bent, if the kink is bad enough you have to heat them to get them back in shape... that ruins the tempering... and increases the risk of breakage. As you can imagine if a feather breaks that is rather dangerous.

It is probably better to compare polycarbonate blades to wooden sticks. Both are fairly cheap* and once they have a crack you cannot fix them anymore. How durable those polycarbonate tubes really are has to be seen, but with their light weight and flexibility I project that they last longer than wooden sticks. We have broken ash staffs within an hour of training.

* We are currently looking at options but it appears that we can get replacement blades at about $2.50... a feather goes at about $150 and a real longsword blade at about $200 (prices for the blade without hilt).
Oh and I forgot:

SaberForge offers 1 year warranty on the blade

So, they seem to be confident in their product. :salute:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 04:20:12 PM
Interesting stuff Big E :tu: 

K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

Reply #27 on: July 03, 2016, 02:05:58 PM

We got ours from SaberForge

The offer pretty good quality at reasonable price and unreasonable shipping times...

The darkness with the bright lights make it a bit irritating... also for show effect it is better to swing the blade wide and a lot, but balance is good enough for decent fighting techniques.

Many thanks for the info :cheers:

Funny thing happened, my wife no longer wants one (she probably realised that dropping 150$ on something she won't use is rather silly, despite the item's good quality  :whistle: ) but now I do  :D  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD