Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My wife says I need a new watch...

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
My wife says I need a new watch...
on: June 30, 2016, 04:53:52 AM
So, my current G Shock is white, and looks pretty ratty. I love it though, and am having a very hard time replacing it.

It's an atomic solar, and I won't get another ones that's not. Really the only one that tickles my fancy is the Riseman, but I can't afford one right now.

I've been looking at the Timex Shock watches, and have seen a couple that I like. But, not solar or atomic. I've also never had much luck with Timex watches.

I have a wicked G Shock, but it has the inverted display, and I find it very hard to read if the lighting conditions are not perfect.

I do like the Mudman though, and it's affordable. I would like to save for a Riseman though. Why do they have to be so expensive??

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: My wife says I need a new watch...
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 07:46:46 AM
maybe you can just replace the damaged parts on your existing watch?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:05:23 AM
I would wait for the Riseman, it's worth it in my opinion.  The last two years or so I have mostly carried one of my Suunto Cores, they are more comfortable to wear in my opinion, the altitude meter is more precise (and you can change the settings on the watch so it knows that a change in barometric pressure should be considered as being a change in altitude or a change in weather conditions, hope this makes sense  :think:). 

Biggest drawbacks on the Suunto Cores are the fact that they don't use solar power (but the batteries can be changed in the field using a regular coin or even the spare CR2032 battery, no need to worry about small screws getting lost), and the fact that they are not radio controlled, so if you want the exact hour (to the second) you'll need to set them manually from time to time.

But after my Cores, The Riseman is my favorite watch (right before my Casio Protrek).

Now I'm going to post some random pics for no obvious reason ... :whistle:

Oh, and if you add a smal compass to the strap (mine is a Silva) you'll have a real ABC G-Shock, with a compass that can be used without pushing a button, and without using battery power ...  :pok:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 12:10:23 PM
G'Day,

If it is still working, why not look for a new strap and bezel and give it a "new" look? Which model is it?

Do you need / use the ABC functions? The ProTrek range is worthy of a look. I have a few favourites, the Ti versions will fit right in the office too.

Of the two, I will pick the Riseman too, they are one of Casio's best.

Cheers,

Pete

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 12:45:55 PM
Plus one one the Protrek series. I have one of their 550 series in orange colour scheme, solar, not atomic, for almost two years now and I can vouch it is one tough and lovely watch.

Covers all my needs, really. These come with standard solar and optional atomic function as well. You'll need to shop around a bit. They also make some other ana-digi models that you might like. Can you tell I favour ana-digi display?  :D

But yes, maybe you could just replace the ratty parts?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 04:03:20 PM
Eric, you're making me drool!!  Lol

I honestly hadn't thought of replacing the strap and bezel. The model is: GW-M850

I don't need the ABC functions, and the barometer is probably the only one is use. I'm always looking at the barometer in our house, and tracking its changes.

Also haven't really considered anything other than a G. I'm hard on watches, and this is the only one I've ever owned that hasn't fallen apart on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 04:05:15 PM

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 11:35:30 PM
Search on packparts they will probably have at least a strap for your model!
I have know two riseman, and is my favorite G-shock of all, a lot of people here knows how much I wanted one, ask lowtech :)
One is for sale by the way :)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 12:11:13 AM
Sigh.

Now I want a Riseman.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 01:03:13 AM
Wife says, new watch, get the new watch you like (want), she approves.  Then get your present unit spiffed up, a win-win. 

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 03:18:44 AM
I'd love to get a Riseman, but really can't afford one right now.  I will look into getting new bits for my watch though.  Maybe see if I can get a color other than white.  I love the look of the white, but wearing it all the time, including when working on vehicles, it just doesn't stay white.

I might also sell one of my other G Shocks.  I LOVE the look of it, but it's just too damn hard to read the time.

This is the one I have, and as you can tell, it's not easy to quickly read the time. 

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 12:25:56 PM
G'Day,

There are quite a few straps available, mainly black. It looks like the watch was only released in black and white.

Advertise here and on WUS, you may get a quick sale.

Cheers,

Pete

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 02:33:59 AM
What they said about wife saying get new watch. If mrs. Tj said that, I'd be out the door like nobody's business and buying one!
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 04:52:33 AM
You too huh?  :D

Megan would never tell me to get a new watch as she knows I would probably spend more than she would consider acceptable, even though I'm actually against spending big money on a watch. I don't think any of my watches cost more than $100, although I was in an antique store yesterday looking at an $800 Seiko chronograph.....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 12:56:38 AM
Spare resin parts are fairly cheap. I'd go that route and put the money you would have spent on the new watch towards that Riseman  :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 01:55:06 AM
Spare resin parts are fairly cheap. I'd go that route and put the money you would have spent on the new watch towards that Riseman  :)

Good plan there.

You should be able to buy a new housing/armor and change the color that way too.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 02:14:50 AM

Good plan there.

You should be able to buy a new housing/armor and change the color that way too.

Def
I think that's the way I'm going to go.  I love this watch, so it's hard for me to try and get a new/different one.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 02:20:07 AM

Good plan there.

Def
I think that's the way I'm going to go.  I love this watch, so it's hard for me to try and get a new/different one.

I know that feeling all too well!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%