Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic tools in Boker Plus Tech Tool

gb Offline shibafu

Vic tools in Boker Plus Tech Tool
on: July 04, 2016, 10:58:36 PM
Here's an interesting little discovery.  You know that useless curved, serrated blade on the Boker Tech Tools that doesn't open all the way?  And the lanyard ring that's a bit rubbish and too pointy?  Well if you take those out, a Vic 93mm can opener slides right in there!  Just needs a 0.4mm thick spacer.

The tang on the Vic opener is larger than the one on the standard blade, so it sits a little high when closed, and the pressure on the spring feels a bit too much, especially when opening the corkscrew.  So it could probably do with some machining off the bottom of the can opener.  Works pretty good though.  I wonder what other Victorinox tools will fit.
bokervic1.jpg
* bokervic1.jpg (Filesize: 76.62 KB)
bokervic2.jpg
* bokervic2.jpg (Filesize: 79.73 KB)
bokervic3.jpg
* bokervic3.jpg (Filesize: 75.28 KB)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Vic tools in Boker Plus Tech Tool
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 12:27:43 AM
cool mod. I want to say Jcfeguet made a similar discovery a while back.... Still, very cool, especially since that serrated blade thing was kinda dangerous.

Just curious, what does the serrated blade look like outside of the tool?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 11:43:31 AM
cool mod. I want to say Jcfeguet made a similar discovery a while back.... Still, very cool, especially since that serrated blade thing was kinda dangerous.

Just curious, what does the serrated blade look like outside of the tool?

Aha yes, I missed Jcfiguet's earlier post but I found it now:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62906.msg1221634.html#msg1221634

I'll get a photo of the removed blade this evening.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 11:58:28 AM
Nice work. :tu:  I wonder if either the pen or electrician's blade fits in that spot too?

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 12:44:59 AM
Nice work. :tu:  I wonder if either the pen or electrician's blade fits in that spot too?

The tang is the same profile as the can opener, so I'm sure it would.  Though the pen blade might need shortening by a few millimetres to clear the cap lifter.

sLaughterMed, here's the Boker serrated blade:
bokerblade.jpg
* bokerblade.jpg (Filesize: 44.75 KB)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 04:51:47 AM
Thats what I suspected. What on earth were they thinking?

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:26:30 PM
Some more work on the tech tool.  First I ground down the belly and tang of the can opener to sit a bit deeper and reduce the pressure on the spring.
A Victorinox corkscrew drilled out to 3mm also works to reduce the pressure on the spring, but a bit too much - leaves the spring action slightly too soft.

Second, a shot of the scissors layer.  Vic scissors will fit here - the tang shape and size are a close match.  But they sit much too deep and you can't pull them out.  So you'd need to fabricate some sort of stop for the scissors to rest against.  Also you'd have to use Pioneer X scissors or the nail nick would be blocked by the main blade.

Finally, removing that pocket-shredding glass breaker.  It appears to be pressed into the main blade spring.  By gripping the breaker hard in a vice and turning the spring to free it up I was able to pull it out a tiny bit, but then the pin holding it stopped turning and sheared off.  I decided to leave the stub of the pin in the spring and just smooth it off.
techtool4.jpg
* techtool4.jpg (Filesize: 51.11 KB)
techtool1.jpg
* techtool1.jpg (Filesize: 77.05 KB)
techtool2.jpg
* techtool2.jpg (Filesize: 44.19 KB)
techtool3.jpg
* techtool3.jpg (Filesize: 42.24 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 04:23:52 AM

I would say it was along the lines of "Hey guys just throw something in there it is time to go home for the weekend" :whistle:

:D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 04:24:22 AM
Good tool swap BTW :cheers:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:19:57 AM
The tang is the same profile as the can opener, so I'm sure it would.  Though the pen blade might need shortening by a few millimetres to clear the cap lifter.

Excellent.  I'm going to have to try this.  I had a go with Gareth's Tech Tool at the meet over the weekend - it's a very nice knife.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 11:28:15 AM
Great modding work shibafu.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 11:58:28 AM
Question - Can you put the Boker Blade into a 91/93 mm frame?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 01:11:10 PM

Excellent.  I'm going to have to try this.  I had a go with Gareth's Tech Tool at the meet over the weekend - it's a very nice knife.

Given how thin the pen blade is, it might be possible to fit 2 tools in there, maybe a pen blade and a combo tool.  (Is there anything else that fits in the pen blade spot?)  It would probably leave the spring a bit loose though.  Some shimming either side of the spring might be required.
From memory I think the standard Boker tool in that spot is 2.4mm thick, a Vic can opener is 2mm (hence my 0.4mm spacer) and a Vic pen blade is 1.4mm.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 01:39:07 PM

You know I was thinking along those lines myself.  Unfortunately the answer is no.  But I wonder if some other pocket knife has a blade that could be subbed in to a 91/93mm frame.  I had a look through my other similar-sized knives and couldn't see anything that looked like an easy swap.  But I'd very much like a nice carbon steel or better stainless blade in an SAK.

Boker have used a few design tricks to fit in that blade.  To make space for it, the fourth pin only goes through the layer with 3 tools, and there are 2 3rd pins - one which goes through the openers and scissors layers, and a separate one that goes through the blade layer in a different position.  This clever design means they can mix layers with 91mm-style back side tools and spacious 93mm-style blade layers in the same knife.

You could pull a similar trick in a 91mm SAK I think.  It relies on having structural stainless steel liners, but you could make those.  I can imagine peening the 4th pin on a structural liner, and then adding a blade layer outside it with a bigger blade.

The Boker also has a stop pin for the blade, so they can have minimal clearance between the blade and the backspring, without any risk of the cutting edge whacking the spring when the blade is closed.

The final nail in the coffin for using the Boker blade in an SAK is the high tip of the sodbuster shape.  It would poke out above the scales on an SAK.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 01:43:10 PM

You know I was thinking along those lines myself.  Unfortunately the answer is no.  But I wonder if some other pocket knife has a blade that could be subbed in to a 91/93mm frame.  I had a look through my other similar-sized knives and couldn't see anything that looked like an easy swap.  But I'd very much like a nice carbon steel or better stainless blade in an SAK.

Boker have used a few design tricks to fit in that blade.  To make space for it, the fourth pin only goes through the layer with 3 tools, and there are 2 3rd pins - one which goes through the openers and scissors layers, and a separate one that goes through the blade layer in a different position.  This clever design means they can mix layers with 91mm-style back side tools and spacious 93mm-style blade layers in the same knife.

You could pull a similar trick in a 91mm SAK I think.  It relies on having structural stainless steel liners, but you could make those.  I can imagine peening the 4th pin on a structural liner, and then adding a blade layer outside it with a bigger blade.

The Boker also has a stop pin for the blade, so they can have minimal clearance between the blade and the backspring, without any risk of the cutting edge whacking the spring when the blade is closed.

The final nail in the coffin for using the Boker blade in an SAK is the high tip of the sodbuster shape.  It would poke out above the scales on an SAK.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Saw that they cheated with the pins... but was still hoping. Thanks for clearing that up :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 03:08:23 PM

Why did they make it so it doesn't open all the way?  :think:
I could see it as being useful, but why not have it open in-line, instead of at an angle?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 08:28:19 PM

Given how thin the pen blade is, it might be possible to fit 2 tools in there, maybe a pen blade and a combo tool.  (Is there anything else that fits in the pen blade spot?)  It would probably leave the spring a bit loose though.  Some shimming either side of the spring might be required.
From memory I think the standard Boker tool in that spot is 2.4mm thick, a Vic can opener is 2mm (hence my 0.4mm spacer) and a Vic pen blade is 1.4mm.
Th
An 84mm nail file might fit, as would a 93mm awl.

us Offline hobie

Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 03:18:32 AM
What size torx driver is required to work on a Boker Tech Tool?  Also will I need two of them- one for each side?  Thanks so much for any help!

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 01:08:15 PM
What size torx driver is required to work on a Boker Tech Tool?  Also will I need two of them- one for each side?  Thanks so much for any help!

T7.  You'll probably get away with just one driver, the friction on the pins is usually enough to tighten the screws against.

us Offline hobie

Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 02:56:57 PM

T7.  You'll probably get away with just one driver, the friction on the pins is usually enough to tighten the screws against.

Thank you so much!  So helpful!

us Offline hobie

Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 08:56:53 PM

I just bought a Kobalt brand mini Torx driver with several bits.  I found that the T7 is too big for my Boker Plus Tech Tool City 5.  The T6 does fit however.  Thank you for your answer anyway!

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 10:40:50 PM
I just bought a Kobalt brand mini Torx driver with several bits.  I found that the T7 is too big for my Boker Plus Tech Tool City 5.  The T6 does fit however.  Thank you for your answer anyway!

I've found with all the cheap precision bit sets I have, the T7 was just a hair too big to fit properly.  T6 fits loosely, and slips if much torque is applied.  I found if I gave a T7 bit a few light strokes with fine abrasive paper along each rib, it fit perfectly.  I guess either the bits were slightly oversize (plating thickness not taken into account in manufacturing?) or the screws are something crazy like T6.5.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 05:24:24 AM
That's happened to me.
I was adjusting a powerlock, and the allen bits I used were different sizes from different bit sets.

us Offline hobie

Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 04:41:55 PM
You are right, the T6 is a little loose on mine, but the T7 isn't even close (would require lots of sanding).  I suspect the quality control on the torx screws themselves more than the driver.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 04:46:18 PM
You are right, the T6 is a little loose on mine, but the T7 isn't even close (would require lots of sanding).  I suspect the quality control on the torx screws themselves more than the driver.

I tend to disagree, at least on my SOG some 2 mm Allens worked and some didn't (supposedly meant to be Imperial sized but those were harder to find).

us Offline hobie

Reply #25 on: July 23, 2016, 05:00:54 PM
With a lot of sanding, I got my T7 to fit.  You are right, it's better than the T6.  Thanks!

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 11:10:47 AM
What would need done to replace that serrated blade with the awl from a 93mm Vic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 02, 2018, 02:01:32 PM
Not that much, surprisingly enough. You'll need (want) to remove the lanyard ring too. The awl drops straight in, add a washer on the outside to fill the 0.4 mm gap. The tip lies over and rubs slightly against the tip of the bottle opener / flat driver. Some minor grinding on the awl's tip would be sufficient to solve that, I think.

Thanks for the tip :D
1122018134635.jpg
* 1122018134635.jpg (Filesize: 113.57 KB)
1122018134721.jpg
* 1122018134721.jpg (Filesize: 94.67 KB)
1122018134816.jpg
* 1122018134816.jpg (Filesize: 106.53 KB)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:06:51 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 03, 2018, 10:57:52 AM
Not that much, surprisingly enough. You'll need (want) to remove the lanyard ring too. The awl drops straight in, add a washer on the outside to fill the 0.4 mm gap. The tip lies over and rubs slightly against the tip of the bottle opener / flat driver. Some minor grinding on the awl's tip would be sufficient to solve that, I think.

Thanks for the tip :D

Hey!!!!  You stole my idea!!!!  LOL

Glad it works. Now to find a 93mm awl. That won’t be easy!!!

Anyone know of any good source(s)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 03, 2018, 10:19:32 PM
You have a PM...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!