Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic tools in Boker Plus Tech Tool

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: Vic tools in Boker Plus Tech Tool
Reply #30 on: December 03, 2018, 10:31:46 PM
You have a PM...

Replied...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: December 14, 2018, 07:11:38 AM
I am still waiting on your awl to arrive, but here is the Boker with another one I sourced...

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 14, 2018, 08:25:34 AM
 :like:
Hope the other one arrives soon. Lots of things going on at post offices these days....
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: December 14, 2018, 08:43:34 AM
:like:
Hope the other one arrives soon. Lots of things going on at post offices these days....

It arrived here in the US this morning, in New York. Should have it by end of next week!!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 03:14:54 PM
I only skimmed through the thread, but want to add my 2ct.
I found - only after reshaping a 91 mm can opener - that a redrilled 84 mm can opener only needs redrilling and minor tang reshaping to fit instead of the crooked finger cutter originally in place.
I need to find my Böker tech tool and find a picture option apart from smurfing Photobucket.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 05:28:22 AM
Wenger 84mm or victorinox 84mm can opener?

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 08:45:38 PM
Well, I'll answer my own question. The Wenger opener will not fit, for the same reasons as the 91mm vic opener. The tang is closer to fitting, but a lot of material would have to be removed from the curved bottom of the tool. I'll consider snagging an 84mm vic... but I've got another idea atm.

Charles.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: May 22, 2019, 03:01:04 AM
He probably would have said 85mm if he meant Wenger.

But then you never know with Thomas...   ;)   hope you're well mate.   :)

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 11:56:08 PM
So I have a Boker Tech Tool 4, which I've really been enjoying carrying because of the clip and the large tools and blade. The only thing I didn't particularly like was that dangerous, weird seat belt cutter with the 2D phillips on the end. Sorry, but it's just too awkward to use for either function. I've seen this thread where a can opener of some sort gets added, and that's all well and good, but without a phillips driver on the backspring, it's less useful than I'd like. And it's also a near carbon copy of an existing Victorinox knife. So I did something different.  I grabbed a modern Explorer with the large clear-framed magnifier... which necessitated a SHORTER inline phillips driver. I reamed out the hole and re-shaped the tang, using the lanyard ring as a guide. (layout fluid and a scribe to mark the tang). I did fast grinding and then finished the shape with a hand file. And the result is nothing short of awesomesauce.

Unfortunately I reamed the hole a little too large, so the SNAP from the Boker was lost for this particular tool. It still snaps solidly open and closed, but it doesn't have the same forceful snap of the rest of the Boker tools. It snaps like a Victorinox tool. Which is okay, I'm cool with that. If I come across another inexpensive Explorer I may try it again. It's a really easy mod if you've done this kind of thing before.

The Vic driver opens solidly and it doesn't over-extend. It's also the exact same width as the bottle opener on the Boker, so no shims are necessary. If you do this mod (or any mod) add some more locktite to the screws, as they WILL work their way loose in your pocket. Also, I plan to grind that one unused screw short, it looks goofy screwed in only 3/4 of the way.

I do lament the lack of a can opener, as that's a tool I do use with some frequency... but to be honest, most cans these days have pop tops and the screwdriver is FAR more useful to me in the long run. This really is a huge upgrade to the Boker Tech 4.

Charles.
boker4.jpg
* boker4.jpg (Filesize: 104.71 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: May 29, 2019, 12:12:03 AM
Looks good.   :tu:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: May 29, 2019, 01:16:30 AM
Looks great!  I have the 93mm inline awl on my Tech 2 special edition. It has the Phillips driver on the backside.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: May 29, 2019, 03:31:14 PM
So I have a Boker Tech Tool 4, which I've really been enjoying carrying because of the clip and the large tools and blade. The only thing I didn't particularly like was that dangerous, weird seat belt cutter with the 2D phillips on the end. Sorry, but it's just too awkward to use for either function. I've seen this thread where a can opener of some sort gets added, and that's all well and good, but without a phillips driver on the backspring, it's less useful than I'd like. And it's also a near carbon copy of an existing Victorinox knife. So I did something different.  I grabbed a modern Explorer with the large clear-framed magnifier... which necessitated a SHORTER inline phillips driver. I reamed out the hole and re-shaped the tang, using the lanyard ring as a guide. (layout fluid and a scribe to mark the tang). I did fast grinding and then finished the shape with a hand file. And the result is nothing short of awesomesauce.

Unfortunately I reamed the hole a little too large, so the SNAP from the Boker was lost for this particular tool. It still snaps solidly open and closed, but it doesn't have the same forceful snap of the rest of the Boker tools. It snaps like a Victorinox tool. Which is okay, I'm cool with that. If I come across another inexpensive Explorer I may try it again. It's a really easy mod if you've done this kind of thing before.

The Vic driver opens solidly and it doesn't over-extend. It's also the exact same width as the bottle opener on the Boker, so no shims are necessary. If you do this mod (or any mod) add some more locktite to the screws, as they WILL work their way loose in your pocket. Also, I plan to grind that one unused screw short, it looks goofy screwed in only 3/4 of the way.

I do lament the lack of a can opener, as that's a tool I do use with some frequency... but to be honest, most cans these days have pop tops and the screwdriver is FAR more useful to me in the long run. This really is a huge upgrade to the Boker Tech 4.

Charles.

Very nice... a mod I might just pinch copy emulate one day.  :like:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: May 31, 2019, 12:22:33 PM
I am sorry to have not answered yet.
I indeed did mean Vic 84 mm can opener.
I owe you all a pic and Zoidberg a good  :twak:.
And thanks fore asking, I´m fine - It´s just 2 Jobs and 3 little kids keeping me from here.

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: May 31, 2019, 03:43:57 PM
I used the phillips driver to assemble some furniture last night, and really torqued the hell out of the screws with this driver. No collapsing, no issues at all, the furniture went together with ease, and using this tool was a pleasure.

Charles.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Vic tools in Boker Plus Tech Tool
Reply #44 on: May 31, 2019, 04:31:51 PM
I used the phillips driver to assemble some furniture last night, and really torqued the hell out of the screws with this driver. No collapsing, no issues at all, the furniture went together with ease, and using this tool was a pleasure.

Charles.

I just can’t decide if I want to copy you or just leave mine with the inline awl?  I really love that awl, but it’s not a perfect fit. The awl barely covers the bottle opener/flat head driver.

When closed, the awl sets a bit cock-eyed. And you need to move it some in order to open the bottle opener.

But see, mine has the back side Phillips driver.

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: May 31, 2019, 08:15:28 PM
Well, you could get the marlin spike from a Wenger Golf Pro and put it in there to replace the backspring driver. Might end up putting less pressure on the backspring though, as the tool is physically smaller at the pivot. Or I'm sure another Boker fan would love to trade your screwdriver for his corkscrew.

Ooh, another idea. Grind and drill a 6mm or 8mm (whatever will fit) allen wrench to replace the backspring screwdriver. I dunno about you, but 6 and 8 are my two most-used sizes.

Charles.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: May 31, 2019, 09:01:14 PM
Well, you could get the marlin spike from a Wenger Golf Pro and put it in there to replace the backspring driver. Might end up putting less pressure on the backspring though, as the tool is physically smaller at the pivot. Or I'm sure another Boker fan would love to trade your screwdriver for his corkscrew.

Ooh, another idea. Grind and drill a 6mm or 8mm (whatever will fit) allen wrench to replace the backspring screwdriver. I dunno about you, but 6 and 8 are my two most-used sizes.

Charles.

Nah, I like it as is!  Love the inline awl!!!

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #47 on: June 01, 2019, 09:57:14 PM
Does anyone know if a Victorinox back tool Philips driver would fit instead of the corkscrew?

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #48 on: June 10, 2022, 06:06:32 AM
To minimize finger injury caused by potential slippage while using the philips head driver, I filed away all the sharp cutting edges of that stupid finger cutter. I loose the serrated blade functionality in exchange for added safety while keeping the philips head driver. And this is a very simple mod.

Anyone has any success tweaking the finger cutter to make it sit 90 degrees instead of 45 degrees?

* iMarkup_20220610_120509.jpg (Filesize: 47.61 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%