Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why I Don't Like Alox

Swiss Guy · 144 · 14672

us Offline Swiss Guy

Why I Don't Like Alox
on: July 04, 2016, 11:33:44 PM
I just joined the forum today and I posted an introductory thread. I have read some of the responses to that thread and I feel very welcome already. However, I think that after writing this, I may just get banned.

First, I want to say that I think the Alox SAKs are gorgeous. I have an Alox Farmer, which sits in a drawer and it looks very good just sitting there in the drawer. The Alox scales are also a bit thinner than the Cellidor scaled SAKs but the difference is minimal.

The reason I only have one Alox SAK is because the Alox knives have far more limitations than benefits for me. <--- emphasis on "for me" because we all have our preferences.

The Alox knives are missing the back layer of tools. No parcel hook. No corkscrew/Phillips. No mini screwdriver, chisel... etc. Yes, there is an awl but there is that piece on top of the awl (to get it out of the SAK) that makes it seem more difficult to use as an awl. I realize that some of you love that the Alox knives do not have the parcel hook or corkscrew because those tools are sometimes seen as useless. However, I have found a use for those tools many times and I would not want to do away with them.

The Alox knives are missing the toothpick and tweezers. The toothpick is not used much but the tweezers get a fair amount of use. I am 43 years old and the tweezers keep me from looking like the hair on my head has migrated to my ears and nose. My girlfriend would mention that my eyebrows need some tweezer help as well.

There are no "Plus" Alox scales; no pen or pin available. I use the pen a lot and I would have to carry an extra pen with me if I did not have them in my SAK.

Once the Alox scales are beat up, that's it; you now have beat up scales. A little wear on Alox scales only enhances the beauty but I know some of us want to keep the pristine look of our user knives. With the normal Cellidor scales, when they get beat up, they are easily replaced. Not only can you replace them, you can change the color as well. Right now I have SAKs in Red, Cobalt, Hunter, White, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Black and StayGlow. If I get tired of one color, I can always switch it to another within a couple minutes.

I am not going to give up my Farmer but I will not purchase any more Alox SAKs. For those of you who love Alox, you can rest assured that you will not have to compete with me the next time you see an Alox SAK pop up on eBay.   :rofl:
The right tool is the one you have on you

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: Why I Don't Like Alox
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 11:43:38 PM
The alox badges will be tough to get with this approach.  ;)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 11:47:38 PM

:D very true......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 11:48:43 PM

:D very true......

+2
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 11:49:56 PM

:rofl:

Very true! I hadn't thought about that! I may have to give that some more thought...   :facepalm:

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 11:58:52 PM
The MTO enablers are here, watch out!

btw, your birth year SAK is also an alox model...  :D

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 12:03:55 AM

I see what you are doing here! And it won't work! I will not buy any more... Hmm... I've actually been looking for my birth year SAK.  ???

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 12:08:10 AM
They also come in terrific colors the GF might enjoy  :pok:

Cadet is a pretty terrific SAK tho larger than her Manager but with fun colors.  She might want to match her SAK to her outfit  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 12:13:26 AM
I'm actually in the same boat as you Swiss Guy, I prefer the 91mm cellidor line over the 93mm alox. I personally love my toothpicks, and my tweezers, and frankly, I love my corkscrews too. I don't have much love for the hook, but the cellidor line is just so much more versitile than the alox line. I love the 91mm file, and the CyberTool layer is just to die for :drool:.

However, you have got to change your tune on the 93mm awl. It is easily my favorite tool in Victorinox's lineup, and the "lip" does not get in the way at all. It is an incredibly well designed tool, and is wicked sharp. I love is so much I modded it into a 91mm build I made, the Hungry Ranger:

(fun fact, this is the third time today i've had the opportunity to show this picture off, after a pretty long dry spell. Life's funny like that)
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 12:14:05 AM

I see what you are doing here! And it won't work! I will not buy any more... Hmm... I've actually been looking for my birth year SAK.  ???

>:D I was looking for one for years, and suddenly ended up with two in the past two weeks! :o 79 Soldat and a 79 Pioneer. You know you want one..... :pok:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:15:18 AM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 12:14:37 AM
I just joined the forum today and I posted an introductory thread. I have read some of the responses to that thread and I feel very welcome already. However, I think that after writing this, I may just get banned.

First, I want to say that I think the Alox SAKs are gorgeous. I have an Alox Farmer, which sits in a drawer and it looks very good just sitting there in the drawer. The Alox scales are also a bit thinner than the Cellidor scaled SAKs but the difference is minimal.

The reason I only have one Alox SAK is because the Alox knives have far more limitations than benefits for me. <--- emphasis on "for me" because we all have our preferences.

The Alox knives are missing the back layer of tools. No parcel hook. No corkscrew/Phillips. No mini screwdriver, chisel... etc. Yes, there is an awl but there is that piece on top of the awl (to get it out of the SAK) that makes it seem more difficult to use as an awl. I realize that some of you love that the Alox knives do not have the parcel hook or corkscrew because those tools are sometimes seen as useless. However, I have found a use for those tools many times and I would not want to do away with them.

The Alox knives are missing the toothpick and tweezers. The toothpick is not used much but the tweezers get a fair amount of use. I am 43 years old and the tweezers keep me from looking like the hair on my head has migrated to my ears and nose. My girlfriend would mention that my eyebrows need some tweezer help as well.

There are no "Plus" Alox scales; no pen or pin available. I use the pen a lot and I would have to carry an extra pen with me if I did not have them in my SAK.

Once the Alox scales are beat up, that's it; you now have beat up scales. A little wear on Alox scales only enhances the beauty but I know some of us want to keep the pristine look of our user knives. With the normal Cellidor scales, when they get beat up, they are easily replaced. Not only can you replace them, you can change the color as well. Right now I have SAKs in Red, Cobalt, Hunter, White, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Black and StayGlow. If I get tired of one color, I can always switch it to another within a couple minutes.

I am not going to give up my Farmer but I will not purchase any more Alox SAKs. For those of you who love Alox, you can rest assured that you will not have to compete with me the next time you see an Alox SAK pop up on eBay.   :rofl:
WTF MONKEY.jpg
* WTF MONKEY.jpg (Filesize: 125.07 KB)
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 12:26:36 AM
I agree pretty much with Swiss Guy.

Except I would sooner slice off a fingertip and write with my own oozing blood than use one of those awful Victorinox biros.

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 12:28:07 AM
There's got to be a solution to the toothpick /tweezers/pen issue for alox. It's the main thing holding me back from more permanent alox carry.

Can we fix it?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 12:30:46 AM
Your points are valid, and I used to think the same way.  To remedy this, I carry a Swisscard which has all the scale tools, plus more.  No replacement for the hook, mini driver or corkscrew though, but I rarely use them.  However, this does add an extra item to the pocket, so that can be a downside.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 12:43:46 AM
I agree and also only have one alox SAK, a farmer.  While I have carried and used the farmer extensively on hikes and camping trips, it rarely sees pocket time anymore and has largely been replaced in that capacity by the LM KF4. If I think I'll require a blade that is more heavy duty than the one on a 91mm SAK I'll carry a fixed blade knife. Toothpick, tweezers, pen, pin and mini-screwdriver are way more important to me. 

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 12:44:14 AM
Your points are valid, and I used to think the same way.  To remedy this, I carry a Swisscard which has all the scale tools, plus more.  No replacement for the hook, mini driver or corkscrew though, but I rarely use them.  However, this does add an extra item to the pocket, so that can be a downside.
(Image removed from quote.)

I just keep mine in my wallet, and have had no problems with it. :tu:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 12:51:10 AM
Hi Swiss guy,

Welcome aboard!   :cheers:

Agree with you about alox as a carry knife. My EDC is a Wenger Traveler.

However alox sure is pretty. (enablers r us   :D  )

IMG_2792.JPG
* IMG_2792.JPG (Filesize: 147.32 KB)
IMG_6442.JPG
* IMG_6442.JPG (Filesize: 199.34 KB)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:52:38 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 12:59:38 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

I just keep mine in my wallet, and have had no problems with it. :tu:
I worry it will break eventually.  My debit card gets a crack over time.  I know the Swisscard is more solid, but I still worry. 

K-Tibbs

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 01:29:10 AM
>:D I was looking for one for years, and suddenly ended up with two in the past two weeks! :o 79 Soldat and a 79 Pioneer. You know you want one..... :pok:

I checked out eBay and found my birth year Soldier ('73). It is currently on my watch list.  :cheers:

Hi Swiss guy,

Welcome aboard!   :cheers:

Agree with you about alox as a carry knife. My EDC is a Wenger Traveler.

However alox sure is pretty. (enablers r us   :D  )

Agreed. I love those Alox scales. If they had they held the other tools, I would carry the Alox SAKs without reservation. I am currently looking to get some Plus scales in titanium but I don't want to pay more for the scales than I paid for the SAK.  :(

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 02:11:18 AM
Pack ALOX, and you'll need a Wenger Clipper (toothpick/tweezers) and one of these.....  :D

I have one in green.....(part of a mail call last Nov.)
11-16 2  pen.JPG
* 11-16 2 pen.JPG (Filesize: 148.46 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Offline Crocker

Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 03:11:20 AM
Haven't seen my Alox in a long time. No pocket clip, and I can't open it one handed, so no matter how good it is otherwise, it isn't practical for me.

Offline holygoat

Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 03:29:25 AM
I worry it will break eventually.  My debit card gets a crack over time.  I know the Swisscard is more solid, but I still worry. 

Your fears are not misplaced: when I used to carry them, fifteen or more years ago, I cracked two SwissCards. It takes a little while, but they split down the middle if you ever sit on them in your wallet.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 03:37:17 AM

Your fears are not misplaced: when I used to carry them, fifteen or more years ago, I cracked two SwissCards. It takes a little while, but they split down the middle if you ever sit on them in your wallet.
Yeah, my wallet is in my back pocket, so it feels the brunt of my weight most of each work day.  I have an office job, so I sit the majority of my day.

K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 03:44:46 AM
Mine has held up, but honestly I usually have a Rambler or Minichamp on my keys to cover scissors duty. :)

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 05:16:51 AM
I think I agree with most points raised. Much like the Farmer's awl, you have a point.
Still, it's all about combinations, since the perfect SAK does not exist.

I've got a proper pair of tweezers in my wallet, that no MT tweezers will replace.

I've got a Micra and Signature on my keys, so there's extra little blades, two pairs of scissors, pen, two nail files, and some flatheads.
The Micra might go, since the Signature handles most tasks.

So when I'm carrying my Farmer, I'm pretty covered. Granted, no hook, no real philips, no toothpick, but then again, the hook doesn't get much use, I'd rather have the pen instead of the pick, and the can opener fits philips screws.

Plus, I have the best awl in the hole world.  :cheers:
And a nice, fit, shiny package in my pocket.

I'll be honest, I like the alox look better. Cellidor is fragile, and the gaps for the scale tools take away some of the beauty. Unless it is the pen, which I do not mind. Beat up alox looks much better than beat up, or in fact new, cellidor.

I still might carry my Fieldmaster, which I love, or my Rebar, if I'm going further than just down the road.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:18:23 AM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 05:34:02 AM
I won't ban you Swiss Guy - as I agree with you completely and for the same reasons :tu:
Although I am with sLaughterMed on the awl.

However I also agree with pretty much all the other comments here.  ???
And the alox knives are sooooo good looking - pristine or beaten up.

And I so want to carry one - But don't for Swiss Guy's reasons - My key scale tool is the toothpick.
I guess a cadet for a slim/dress carry could happen - But then I'd miss the scissors (and tp) too much
 - So slim carry - I am better off with a Classic or a Rambler !!   :D

Oh - And most importanntly - Welcome to the forum  :cheers:
And no-one gets banned for an opinion here - And we often don't agree with each other and/or have heated debates!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 06:57:32 AM by Huntsman »

00 Offline FA Tre

Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 06:05:08 AM
I agree and also only have one alox SAK, a farmer.  While I have carried and used the farmer extensively on hikes and camping trips, it rarely sees pocket time anymore and has largely been replaced in that capacity by the LM KF4. If I think I'll require a blade that is more heavy duty than the one on a 91mm SAK I'll carry a fixed blade knife. Toothpick, tweezers, pen, pin and mini-screwdriver are way more important to me.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 10:52:02 AM

(..) My debit card gets a crack over time.  (..)

Mine too, probably because of buying too much Swiss Army Knives  >:D
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 12:25:26 PM
No cellidor SAK will ever have the charm of a Pioneer Rancher!
 :whistle:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44