Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why I Don't Like Alox

Swiss Guy · 144 · 14586

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: Why I Don't Like Alox
Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 12:30:31 PM
Welcome to the forums, Swiss Guy :cheers:

I hear your thoughts on alox SAKs. Personally, I've resorted to EDCing a Pioneer and alox Rambler in my pocket and a Vic Handyman (with nylon scales, so no pen nor pin) in my bag, where I also carry pens and some pins. ;)

I'll throw a Huntsman or Climber, always with nylon scales, in my pocket if I want to go light, or simply carry just one SAK like normal people do :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:32:53 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 12:30:36 PM
No cellidor SAK will ever have the charm of a Pioneer Rancher!
 :whistle:

Agree!  :salute:

I'm also a big Rancher fan  :cheers:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

gr Offline firiki

Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 02:24:43 PM
No cellidor SAK will ever have the charm of a Pioneer Rancher!
 :whistle:

Agree!  :salute:

I'm also a big Rancher fan  :cheers:

:climber:   :cheers:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #33 on: July 05, 2016, 04:14:47 PM

(..) My debit card gets a crack over time.  (..)

Mine too, probably because of buying too much Swiss Army Knives  >:D

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #34 on: July 05, 2016, 05:55:58 PM
Where is the ban button?

Robert can make you a alox or ti SAK with almost everything you are lacking.

Just saying.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: July 05, 2016, 06:19:50 PM
 :waving: Welcome

Once the Alox scales are beat up, that's it; you now have beat up scales. A little wear on Alox scales only enhances the beauty but I know some of us want to keep the pristine look of our user knives. With the normal Cellidor scales, when they get beat up, they are easily replaced. Not only can you replace them, you can change the color as well. Right now I have SAKs in Red, Cobalt, Hunter, White, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Black and StayGlow. If I get tired of one color, I can always switch it to another within a couple minutes.
As one of the guys who likes his SAKs pristine I can only say Alox wears a lot slower than Cellidor.
But I'm digging my lime green CyberTool :drool:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

wales Offline Simplon

Reply #36 on: July 05, 2016, 08:16:50 PM
I only have one Alox knife an 85 Soldier which I have owned for the last 31 years. It's still in perfect condition. :climber:
Simplon.
Now where did I leave my knife?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 08:39:56 PM
Your points are valid, and I used to think the same way.  To remedy this, I carry a Swisscard which has all the scale tools, plus more.  No replacement for the hook, mini driver or corkscrew though, but I rarely use them.  However, this does add an extra item to the pocket, so that can be a downside.
(Image removed from quote.)

Holy Crap!

I've been carrying a CT-41 with timekeeper scales for years at work.  This might be the solution I need to swap it out for a Farmer (and Swisscard).  Gotta think about this one... :think:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #38 on: July 05, 2016, 08:43:48 PM
Your points are valid, and I used to think the same way.  To remedy this, I carry a Swisscard which has all the scale tools, plus more.  No replacement for the hook, mini driver or corkscrew though, but I rarely use them.  However, this does add an extra item to the pocket, so that can be a downside.

Holy Crap!

I've been carrying a CT-41 with timekeeper scales for years at work.  This might be the solution I need to swap it out for a Farmer (and Swisscard).  Gotta think about this one... :think:
They're a handy little item really :tu:

K-Tibbs

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #39 on: July 06, 2016, 01:58:07 AM

Holy Crap!

I liked the SwissCard idea too, so I got a nailcare version for security areas, then the glass file broke in half while it was in my wallet and I couldn't retrieve the broken part inside.  :ahhh

I'm sure the other half is still in there somewhere, deep in the landfill.  :-\

My eco Climber doesn't have scale tools either, which is why it's my favorite one I think, so smooth like a river stone.  :)

us Offline Diver

Reply #40 on: July 06, 2016, 02:36:34 AM
I have a Classic SD on my keyring, so that provides the toothpick and tweezers.  I use them often.  However, with those covered, I don't see a need for them on a 91-93mm knife.  That's just me.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #41 on: July 06, 2016, 02:48:34 AM
Where is the ban button?

Trust me, the button is armed and ready. I'm just making a list of everyone who agrees with the OP before putting it to use...... :ashley:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #42 on: July 06, 2016, 02:54:08 AM

Holy Crap!

I liked the SwissCard idea too, so I got a nailcare version for security areas, then the glass file broke in half while it was in my wallet and I couldn't retrieve the broken part inside.  :ahhh

I'm sure the other half is still in there somewhere, deep in the landfill.  :-\

My eco Climber doesn't have scale tools either, which is why it's my favorite one I think, so smooth like a river stone.  :)
Yeah, the body of it, as well as the file and mag glass are what worry me.

K-Tibbs

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #43 on: July 06, 2016, 03:08:12 AM
Where is the ban button?

Trust me, the button is armed and ready. I'm just making a list of everyone who agrees with the OP before putting it to use...... :ashley:

:rofl: :rofl:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 06, 2016, 03:37:11 AM
I agree pretty much with Swiss Guy.

Except I would sooner slice off a fingertip and write with my own oozing blood than use one of those awful Victorinox biros.

:rofl:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: July 06, 2016, 03:43:53 AM
While I have quite a few Alox SAKs (even have an Alox badge), I kind of agree that for daily carry, I prefer SAKs with T&T and some of the backside tools (though never the worthless parcel hook!).

The Cadets and Pioneers get some pocket time on occasion given the circumstances, I generally carry Golfers or modded Compacts.  :tool:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #46 on: July 06, 2016, 06:24:54 AM
Where is the ban button?

Looks like someone with the initials JD is going to get eliminated from the ANL giveaway. Tsk, tsk.   :whistle:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: July 06, 2016, 11:20:18 AM
The Cellidor SAKs are more comfortable in my hand. The way the tools protrude on alox SAKs does sometimes lead to a uncomfortable grip, especially the way the edge (excellent) awl can push into the little finger when using the large blade in a “hammer grip” or similar. On keyring models, the way a lot of people grind it off is quite telling about how comfortable that is. On models with the saw, the saw is mounted in such a manner that it can bite into the hand when using other tools. I find several Cellidor SAKs less than optimal in my hand, e.g. the most loved Climber is not my best friend, but there are so many different Cellidor SAKs that it doesn't matter much. (Note: I'm talking about relative comfort, not whether the knives are usable.)

I love the alox SAKs, and my opinion here is “Why not both?” as usual, but most of the knives in my EDC rotation are Cellidor, and that's not only because of the wider selection of Cellidor SAKs. I'd love for Vic to start looking into a stronger, more chemical resistant plastic for the handles.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #48 on: July 06, 2016, 01:10:22 PM
What blasphemy is this?  :twak:

Cellidor better than alox?  :ahhh

Oh well, more alox for me then (with a Rambler on the keys!)...  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:11:35 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #49 on: July 07, 2016, 01:44:19 AM
Although I am not a fan of the Alox SAKs (for reasons posted above), I just ordered a black Cadet because I think it will complement my Swiss Champ, which I carry daily. I have filed my nails with the Swiss Champ file but it is a bit too aggressive. The Cadet's file should be a better choice. The Cadet is very thin so I shouldn't even notice it in my pocket. Sure, I could just throw my Rambler or Manager in my pocket, but then I wouldn't have an excuse to buy a new SAK. Who knows, maybe it will make me an Alox convert.  :rofl:
The right tool is the one you have on you

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #50 on: July 07, 2016, 03:04:42 AM
Where is the ban button?

Devious, I am impressed Sir.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: July 07, 2016, 05:54:50 AM
Where is the ban button?

Looks like someone with the initials JD is going to get eliminated from the ANL giveaway. Tsk, tsk.   :whistle:

:rofl:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #52 on: July 07, 2016, 11:33:41 AM
The Cellidor SAKs are more comfortable in my hand. The way the tools protrude on alox SAKs does sometimes lead to a uncomfortable grip, especially the way the edge (excellent) awl can push into the little finger when using the large blade in a “hammer grip” or similar. On keyring models, the way a lot of people grind it off is quite telling about how comfortable that is. On models with the saw, the saw is mounted in such a manner that it can bite into the hand when using other tools. I find several Cellidor SAKs less than optimal in my hand, e.g. the most loved Climber is not my best friend, but there are so many different Cellidor SAKs that it doesn't matter much. (Note: I'm talking about relative comfort, not whether the knives are usable.)

I love the alox SAKs, and my opinion here is “Why not both?” as usual, but most of the knives in my EDC rotation are Cellidor, and that's not only because of the wider selection of Cellidor SAKs. I'd love for Vic to start looking into a stronger, more chemical resistant plastic for the handles.

Nylon scales fare better as far as resistance to chemicals is concerned.  ;) I wish Victorinox made these scales readily available even as an after sales accessory. Other options would probably be nice too. Cellidor feels good and warm/natural in the hand but it's fragile and no good with sweaty hands, but I'm sure there are several reasons Victorinox still uses this stuff.

I agree with most of your observations on alox models having hotspots, except the part about the awl -it has never bothered me in the least.

I find that extending the bottle opener helps ignore the nuisance caused by the keyring as it provides a longer handle for your hand to manipulate, thus taking some stress off the keyring. Folding the keyring over the backsprings further helps in this direction, as does a thick lanyard.

I prefer two-layer alox models, notably the Pioneer and the Rancher, as I don't like the way the knife blade feels shorter due to the SAKs girth on 3-layer models. As for the saw on 3-layer models, I agree it can be unconfortable and I've even sliced my thumb open on one and it took me hours to figure out where/how did that happen. There are two good reasons for mounting them this way, though: a) by extending the bottle opener you get a longer, more confortable handle and better leverage and b) the saw's spine prevents your thumb/finger from pressing the knife blade down against the backsprings as you're prone to do while using the screwdriver/prytool or the awl.

I really like the keyring's position and implementation on the backspring on 91mm models. It isn't annoying and it can be helpful when using the pry tool.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #53 on: July 07, 2016, 11:39:00 AM
Just adding two things I like about alox models, they are rugged and they have an old-school simplicity I appreciate greatly.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #54 on: July 07, 2016, 12:37:43 PM
Just adding two things I like about alox models, they are rugged and they have an old-school simplicity I appreciate greatly.

+1 on these two, maybe the biggest factors for me.  :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #55 on: July 07, 2016, 12:48:37 PM

Much as I hate agreeing with firiki (like a rabbit agreeing with the wolf), they are built well and without actually testing them, they are probably bombproof.

The only modification I'd like to see is across the board use of the hollow rivet - best of both worlds as it is comfortable to hold even with a bail, and you can leave it out if you're one of those oddballs who doesn't like a lanyard.  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline twiliter

Reply #56 on: July 07, 2016, 12:49:50 PM

Much as I hate agreeing with firiki (like a rabbit agreeing with the wolf), they are built well and without actually testing them, they are probably bombproof.

The only modification I'd like to see is across the board use of the hollow rivet - best of both worlds as it is comfortable to hold even with a bail, and you can leave it out if you're one of those oddballs who doesn't like a lanyard.  :D

+1 Mags, oddball approved!  :tu:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #57 on: July 07, 2016, 12:58:19 PM
The other nice thing is the size, the blade is just enough bigger to make it a regular KP tool rather than an occasional one. The bigger opener layer too, not sure if the SD has a higher rivet failure point when prying, but it sure feels like it can handle heavier tasks. Also levering it against alox is less destructive than the 91mm scale materials.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #58 on: July 07, 2016, 01:01:17 PM

::)

As long as the hollow rivet is up to the task... I wonder why Victorinox stopped using those :think:

I like having a lanyard as well as the ability to quickly remove any protrusions from the SAK in a second. The only way to do this is through a hollow rivet.

Show content
Is magentus a Moderator now or is the forum's software acting up again?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:11:12 PM by firiki »

gr Offline firiki

Reply #59 on: July 07, 2016, 01:09:45 PM
The other nice thing is the size, the blade is just enough bigger to make it a regular KP tool rather than an occasional one. The bigger opener layer too, not sure if the SD has a higher rivet failure point when prying, but it sure feels like it can handle heavier tasks. Also levering it against alox is less destructive than the 91mm scale materials.

Uhh, what's a KP tool, please?

I'd say the thicker implements + thicker rivets + thicker scales on 93mm models probably means the can handle some bigger loads than their 91mm cousins though how much bigger I have no idea  :think:  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD