Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why I Don't Like Alox

Swiss Guy · 144 · 14780

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Why I Don't Like Alox
Reply #60 on: July 07, 2016, 01:15:39 PM
Just adding two things I like about alox models, they are rugged and they have an old-school simplicity I appreciate greatly.

+1 on these two, maybe the biggest factors for me.  :tu:
Much as I hate agreeing with firiki (like a rabbit agreeing with the wolf), they are built well and without actually testing them, they are probably bombproof.

The only modification I'd like to see is across the board use of the hollow rivet - best of both worlds as it is comfortable to hold even with a bail, and you can leave it out if you're one of those oddballs who doesn't like a lanyard.  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

::)

As long as the hollow rivet is up to the task... I wonder why Victorinox stopped using those :think:

I like having a lanyard as well as the ability to quickly remove any protrusions from the SAK in a second. The only way to do this is through a hollow rivet.

Show content
Is magentus a Moderator now or is the forum's software acting up again?
I am a moderator now firiki  >:D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #61 on: July 07, 2016, 01:31:25 PM
The only modification I'd like to see is across the board use of the hollow rivet - best of both worlds as it is comfortable to hold even with a bail, and you can leave it out if you're one of those oddballs who doesn't like a lanyard.  :D

I actually hated the bail with a vengeance on a previous Wenger SI. It is easy to accidentally close the main blade on the bail, which causes a nice big ding in the edge. I said bad words on more than a couple of occasions because of that freaking bail...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:34:10 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #62 on: July 07, 2016, 01:35:08 PM
The other nice thing is the size, the blade is just enough bigger to make it a regular KP tool rather than an occasional one. The bigger opener layer too, not sure if the SD has a higher rivet failure point when prying, but it sure feels like it can handle heavier tasks. Also levering it against alox is less destructive than the 91mm scale materials.

Uhh, what's a KP tool, please?

I'd say the thicker implements + thicker rivets + thicker scales on 93mm models probably means the can handle some bigger loads than their 91mm cousins though how much bigger I have no idea  :think:  :)

KP = kitchen patrol, or food prep.

I'm not testing the rivet theory to failure either, I like my SAKs too much to kill them.  ;) I think they gave up on the hollow rivets because the liner KR mount is easier to manufacture, but it could be something else entirely. Congrats on your Modhood Mags, I'll try to toe the line!  :ahhh

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #63 on: July 07, 2016, 01:37:17 PM

I actually hated the bail with a vengeance on a previous Wenger SI. It is easy to accidentally close the main blade on the bail, which causes a nice big ding in the edge. I said bad words on more than a couple of occasions because of that freaking bail...

Then there's that, I have seen bail damage on blades. I'm still OK with the absence of bail/keyring altogether, solves the whole issue for me.  :)

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #64 on: July 07, 2016, 01:54:11 PM

Then there's that, I have seen bail damage on blades. I'm still OK with the absence of bail/keyring altogether, solves the whole issue for me.  :)

I think the hollow rivet looks pretty, for some reason. Two solid rivets and one hollow one.. I think it is a nice detail. Same goes for the WK (WaffenKontroll) stamps on the older models, I really like that. It all gives the knife so much more character :)

But I do prefer the hollow rivet without the bail. The knife looks more elegant without the bail.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #65 on: July 07, 2016, 01:56:58 PM

Yeah, there is that.  :facepalm: a piece of twine through the rivet works quite well too and then no dings!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #66 on: July 07, 2016, 01:57:38 PM

I think the hollow rivet looks pretty, for some reason. Two solid rivets and one hollow one.. I think it is a nice detail. Same goes for the WK (WaffenKontroll) stamps on the older models, I really like that. It all gives the knife so much more character :)

But I do prefer the hollow rivet without the bail. The knife looks more elegant without the bail.

The WK stamp is a nice bit of history isn't it?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #67 on: July 07, 2016, 01:59:11 PM
The other nice thing is the size, the blade is just enough bigger to make it a regular KP tool rather than an occasional one. The bigger opener layer too, not sure if the SD has a higher rivet failure point when prying, but it sure feels like it can handle heavier tasks. Also levering it against alox is less destructive than the 91mm scale materials.

I'd say the thicker implements + thicker rivets + thicker scales on 93mm models probably means the can handle some bigger loads than their 91mm cousins though how much bigger I have no idea  :think:  :)

I'm not testing the rivet theory to failure either, I like my SAKs too much to kill them.  ;) I think they gave up on the hollow rivets because the liner KR mount is easier to manufacture, but it could be something else entirely. Congrats on your Modhood Mags, I'll try to toe the line!  :ahhh
Thanks Twilizzle  :salute: No special treatment now....

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #68 on: July 07, 2016, 02:43:37 PM

Thanks Twilizzle  :salute: No special treatment now....

Congrats on making Mod m-gizzle! :salute:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #69 on: July 07, 2016, 03:15:59 PM
Just adding two things I like about alox models, they are rugged and they have an old-school simplicity I appreciate greatly.

+1 on these two, maybe the biggest factors for me.  :tu:
Much as I hate agreeing with firiki (like a rabbit agreeing with the wolf), they are built well and without actually testing them, they are probably bombproof.

::)

As long as the hollow rivet is up to the task... I wonder why Victorinox stopped using those :think:

I like having a lanyard as well as the ability to quickly remove any protrusions from the SAK in a second. The only way to do this is through a hollow rivet.

Show content
Is magentus a Moderator now or is the forum's software acting up again?
I am a moderator now firiki  >:D

They let anybody in these days, I see...  :D

Congratulations, young Jedi. You know what they say, with great power comes great responsability.

I'm sure you'll make good use of your new superpowers. :cheers:
Cat tongue out.jpg
* Cat tongue out.jpg (Filesize: 26.14 KB)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #70 on: July 07, 2016, 03:26:30 PM
Mags is a Mod now?!
:ahhh  :ahhh

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #71 on: July 07, 2016, 03:27:02 PM
Lol, no really, congrats Mags buddy old pal ;)

K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

Reply #72 on: July 07, 2016, 03:34:42 PM

Thanks, I learned something today :salute:

I don't like pushing my SAKs to their limits either. For the record though, I've had to use my Pioneer to open a crate once, I removed three planks and 12 stubborn nails with it. At first I thought it developped some lateral play afterwards but I'm still carrying the same SAK three and a half years later and I've also undone some seized screws with it with no damage to report. They can take some serious use, that's for sure.  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:35:45 PM by firiki »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #73 on: July 07, 2016, 03:37:54 PM
Mags is a Mod now?!

Run!

Congrats Mags!
Nate

SEND IT!

gr Offline firiki

Reply #74 on: July 07, 2016, 03:39:21 PM

'Tis why I only mentioned the hollow rivet earlier. I always wondered why Wenger didn't make that bail shorter!

And like magentus said

Yeah, there is that.  :facepalm: a piece of twine through the rivet works quite well too and then no dings!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #75 on: July 07, 2016, 03:40:11 PM
Thanks chums, I think it had a little to do with the photographic evidence I have been dilligently building up over the past few years. Mwa ha ha haaaa

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #76 on: July 07, 2016, 03:50:43 PM
Mags is a Mod now?!

Run!

Congrats Mags!
I was like, "Oh @#$#!" and then I was like, "it's ok, Mags is cool"

:rofl:

K-Tibbs

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: July 07, 2016, 03:51:29 PM
 :ahhh
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:52:40 PM by zoidberg »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #78 on: July 07, 2016, 03:54:05 PM
Mags is a Mod now?!

Run!

Congrats Mags!

I was cool, and then they made me do that Jason Bourne trauma treatment and now I am Modgentus. Who knows what I'll do....

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: July 07, 2016, 03:56:07 PM
modgy...  :rofl:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: July 07, 2016, 03:57:13 PM
LOL!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: July 07, 2016, 03:59:26 PM
Mags is a Mod now?!

Run!

Congrats Mags!

LOL! I used to think the samething about JD, then everytime I turn around he threatens to ban me, again. LOL!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #82 on: July 07, 2016, 04:02:21 PM
Mags is a Mod now?!

Run!

Congrats Mags!

LOL! I used to think the samething about JD, then everytime I turn around he threatens to ban me, again. LOL!

Nate
Don't make me come round there!

Reply #83 on: July 07, 2016, 04:04:52 PM
This is all getting very much off topic!

Where are the MODS  >:D

:D

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: July 07, 2016, 04:06:10 PM
Mags is a Mod now?!

Run!

Congrats Mags!

Nate
Don't make me come round there!
Haha!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: July 07, 2016, 04:07:36 PM
I'm eating toast.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #86 on: July 07, 2016, 04:10:01 PM

Keep on topic please everyone!

What is on your toast please ZMan?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #87 on: July 07, 2016, 04:11:21 PM
Mags is a Mod now?!

Run!

Congrats Mags!

I was cool, and then they made me do that Jason Bourne trauma treatment and now I am Modgentus. Who knows what I'll do....
:ahhh

K-Tibbs

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: July 07, 2016, 04:17:32 PM

The MTO way.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

Reply #89 on: July 07, 2016, 04:17:38 PM

^-- where the cat sits

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00