Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Building an AR15 for Wild Hogs

Poll

What cartridge should I build my AR15 around?

.25-45 Sharps
0 (0%)
6.5 Grendel
0 (0%)
6.8 Remington SPC
1 (5.9%)
.300 AAC
2 (11.8%)
.243 Winchester
1 (5.9%)
.308 Winchester
8 (47.1%)
.50 BMG
1 (5.9%)
30 x 173mm GAU-8 Avenger
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: July 12, 2016, 09:08:34 PM

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Building an AR15 for Wild Hogs
Reply #30 on: July 07, 2016, 07:24:34 PM
WARNING THREAD DEARAILMENT :P

Everytime I see this thread I think... why? Aren't wild hogs dangerous enough without weapons :think:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #31 on: July 07, 2016, 07:31:12 PM
WARNING THREAD DEARAILMENT :P

Everytime I see this thread I think... why? Aren't wild hogs dangerous enough without weapons :think:

:rofl: :rofl:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #32 on: July 07, 2016, 07:49:11 PM
And the 6x45 aka the .25-45 Sharps has a strong following down here in Africa for Impala and small game in the bushveld.
It would be an option for me too; I know two guys who got Zastava mini mauser actions and built customs in 6x45 for this exact purpose.

Wow, that's pretty cool that it is already a proven round. It is a really interesting new option for the AR15 platform, for sure. Velocity is the same (essentially) as the .223 but with bigger, heavier bullets. Hard to knock that type of performance :tu:

To be fair the 6x45 is the same idea but using .243 bullets. Not to the same pressures as the .25-45 Sharps and loaded down to about 2400fps with a 100gr bullet.
Perfect for small game as there is little bruising that you usually get with a .243 Win at shorter ranges.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #33 on: July 07, 2016, 09:38:18 PM
And the 6x45 aka the .25-45 Sharps has a strong following down here in Africa for Impala and small game in the bushveld.
It would be an option for me too; I know two guys who got Zastava mini mauser actions and built customs in 6x45 for this exact purpose.

Wow, that's pretty cool that it is already a proven round. It is a really interesting new option for the AR15 platform, for sure. Velocity is the same (essentially) as the .223 but with bigger, heavier bullets. Hard to knock that type of performance :tu:

To be fair the 6x45 is the same idea but using .243 bullets. Not to the same pressures as the .25-45 Sharps and loaded down to about 2400fps with a 100gr bullet.
Perfect for small game as there is little bruising that you usually get with a .243 Win at shorter ranges.

Fair enough. I can see that being ideal for impala. Aren't they usually no bigger than about 150lbs? The sharps is 3000fps, with a 87gr bullet, so yeah, I'd guess it's higher pressure
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #34 on: July 07, 2016, 10:01:18 PM
Go with the .308Win.

It is an allaround caliber. I´m no hunter. That being said. But I know that this round can be used from deer to wild boar. So IMO it will also kill these strange looking wild hogs (as they are house-hogs that is so weird... here in Germany the real Wild Boars a plague and are more dangerous and heavier, I suppose).

The .308 Win will give you a wide arrangemend on bullets and factory-food for the gun. Even with hunting bullets. It has low recoil.

But if you really want a hog-hammer - I´d go with the .30-06 or 8x57IS (which I´m a big big fan of).

These animals can be dangerous. So I would stay away from .223 and .243. As well as from the .300 Blackout or the 6mm Grendel. Generally I would stay away from these short-cased rounds. I doubt they will bring as much energy/pressure as a bigger brass casing.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 02:54:47 AM
Generally I would stay away from these short-cased rounds. I doubt they will bring as much energy/pressure as a bigger brass casing.

Well....

This is the same class as the 7.62x39 and .30-30. The only black bear I've ever taken was a .30-30, my grandfather took plenty of bear and deer and maybe a moose or three with it (moose wasn't legal back then  :whistle:). And I'm pretty sure I could do a piggy with the heavy .223 load my brother has taken his last three deer with- single shot each time, no customer complaints. I also know several guys who hunt deer with 7.62x39 and a few with 6.8 SPC. Talking about deer might not be quite fair, but a bear has more mass and I'd take .300 AAC for black bear.

My other grandfather, while he was in africa, took several large carnivorous reptiles on various occasions with either a .38 S&W or a P-38, and I'll lay even money on a croc being tougher than a hog.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:58:47 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: July 08, 2016, 05:09:55 AM
Generally I would stay away from these short-cased rounds. I doubt they will bring as much energy/pressure as a bigger brass casing.

Well....

This is the same class as the 7.62x39 and .30-30. The only black bear I've ever taken was a .30-30, my grandfather took plenty of bear and deer and maybe a moose or three with it (moose wasn't legal back then  :whistle:). And I'm pretty sure I could do a piggy with the heavy .223 load my brother has taken his last three deer with- single shot each time, no customer complaints. I also know several guys who hunt deer with 7.62x39 and a few with 6.8 SPC. Talking about deer might not be quite fair, but a bear has more mass and I'd take .300 AAC for black bear.

My other grandfather, while he was in africa, took several large carnivorous reptiles on various occasions with either a .38 S&W or a P-38, and I'll lay even money on a croc being tougher than a hog.

Yep. A lot of big, feral hogs are getting taken with short-cased rounds fired from AR15s these days. That's the reason I listed the rounds I did; they were developed with hunting deer-class game. The 6.8SPC and .300BLK seem to be the most popular.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #37 on: July 09, 2016, 10:55:20 AM
Can't believe nobody has bent this thread in this direction yet...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 03:45:57 PM
They could have used a couple of AR 15's.  Lukily John Travolta had an MP600.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 05:19:04 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl: someone should have called in an air strike on this movie

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #40 on: July 09, 2016, 05:20:51 PM

Now that's how you hunt hogs! One good run from an A-10 Warthog (oh, the irony!) for the win. :tu:

Of course, there wouldn't be much left...

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 09, 2016, 07:31:32 PM
I have to mirror what Alan said- as I was reading your post I was thinking .308 myself and I was a bit disappointed when it wasn't on your list.

It sounds like you've more or less made up your mind on the 6.8 SPC and you do certainly make good arguments for it.  Frankly I consider 300 yards to be about 200 yards more than I'll ever need as I rarely take a shot at more than 75-100, but maybe your aim is better than mine.  :P

Def

+1 On the 308 (or bigger)! We have a ton of hogs in Texas.....they regularly root up my back 40 and travel in packs of 20+. 

Read this a while back and it seems pertinent.
https://www.biggamelogic.com/ArticlesNews/tabid/136/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/563/AMERICAN-WILD-BOARS.aspx

Great article SG!  :salute:   I had to read it due to having been in a long conversation with a guy at a 4th BBQ this week.  He was telling me about how he and his buddies use dogs and an 8" knife to hunt hogs in central California. 

Even in my younger days, I didn't have the cajones to jump on the back of a 200lb hog/boar and stick it in the heart with just a knife!   :ahhh

Years ago we hunted Javelinas in Arizona, but I used a .30-.30 lever gun backed-up with a 45 Colt SAA.  I definitely wasn't going to jump on one...
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: July 09, 2016, 08:52:46 PM
I have to mirror what Alan said- as I was reading your post I was thinking .308 myself and I was a bit disappointed when it wasn't on your list.

It sounds like you've more or less made up your mind on the 6.8 SPC and you do certainly make good arguments for it.  Frankly I consider 300 yards to be about 200 yards more than I'll ever need as I rarely take a shot at more than 75-100, but maybe your aim is better than mine.  :P

Def

+1 On the 308 (or bigger)! We have a ton of hogs in Texas.....they regularly root up my back 40 and travel in packs of 20+. 

https://www.biggamelogic.com/ArticlesNews/tabid/136/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/563/AMERICAN-WILD-BOARS.aspx

Great article SG!  :salute:   I had to read it due to having been in a long conversation with a guy at a 4th BBQ this week.  He was telling me about how he and his buddies use dogs and an 8" knife to hunt hogs in central California. 

Even in my younger days, I didn't have the cajones to jump on the back of a 200lb hog/boar and stick it in the heart with just a knife!   :ahhh

Years ago we hunted Javelinas in Arizona, but I used a .30-.30 lever gun backed-up with a 45 Colt SAA.  I definitely wasn't going to jump on one...

LOL!! Great combo...much better than a knife.  :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: July 10, 2016, 12:04:09 AM
Now,getting back to that pizza Def mentioned...

Spinach,egg and black olives please!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #44 on: July 10, 2016, 12:49:22 AM
now I want Pizza

:kirky:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: July 10, 2016, 01:06:40 AM

Now that's how you hunt hogs! One good run from an A-10 Warthog (oh, the irony!) for the win. :tu:

It probably wouldn't cause as much damage as the hogs, though.
apollo rooting.jpg
* apollo rooting.jpg (Filesize: 184.17 KB)
UrbanRooting2.jpg
* UrbanRooting2.jpg (Filesize: 184.58 KB)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: July 10, 2016, 01:14:43 AM

Def

LOL!! Great combo...much better than a knife.  :2tu:

Until I get my AR built (I thought 15, but looking like it'll be a 10 thanks to you guys :facepalm: :rofl:) I will be using my Marlin 336 :tu: it's a great gun and well suited, I think, to shooting feral pigs. Not as fast for follow-ups as an AR would be, but I am pretty fast with my trusty lever gun

I have seen some videos of dudes killing wild hogs with knives - they be loco. Or maybe  :drink:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #47 on: July 10, 2016, 01:31:19 AM
I might be tempted to use the Cold Steel boar spear hanging on my wall. A knife...smurf no!
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #48 on: July 10, 2016, 02:01:30 AM

I was thinking not much left of the hogs... but yes, the hogs and the A-10 would be competing for property damage.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: July 10, 2016, 02:46:35 AM
That's the traditional method of hunting hogs in South America, but they need some really smurfing amazing dogs to do it with.

If you've ever experienced a dogo Argentino up close them you know what I'm talking about.

I had one for years and I miss him every day.  Best dog I've ever had bar none.  The photo is to show what they look like, not a photo of mine.

Def
950b65c05b2c03120042564e8b4da3ed.jpg
* 950b65c05b2c03120042564e8b4da3ed.jpg (Filesize: 123.66 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: July 10, 2016, 02:47:56 AM
This one was mine.

Def
Pete.JPG
* Pete.JPG (Filesize: 48.46 KB)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #51 on: July 10, 2016, 03:56:26 AM
I would hunt boar with spear and short sword. A boar, singular, quantity one (1). Problem is, they like to hang out in groups.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: July 10, 2016, 04:52:56 AM

I have patches on the back 40 that look like that.....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: July 10, 2016, 06:24:55 AM

Wow, that was a really good read! The author definitely has a lot of respect for these animals. I hope I can get in good with some seasoned hunters when I get down to Louisiana at the end of the month, because I like to learn from the experience of others and save myself the hardship ;) but seriously, I have always been curious about hunting wild boar, ever since my dad tried his hand at it in Turkey when I was just a kid. He didn't get one, but they happened upon a dead one in the mountains and his guide gave him the tusks - 6 inches long, I kid you not. I was blown away when I saw them.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: July 10, 2016, 06:30:32 AM

That is wild. I really had no idea that caused SO MUCH damage until I began researching feral hogs recently. I always just assumed farmers hated them for eating their crops. But they do so much more damage than just eating, don't they? I mean, a pasture like that would be easy for cattle to break legs in. They urinate and defecate all over hay and feed for livestock. They drive away native species and badly damage habitat. They are truly menaces

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: July 10, 2016, 09:35:44 AM

That is wild. I really had no idea that caused SO MUCH damage until I began researching feral hogs recently. I always just assumed farmers hated them for eating their crops. But they do so much more damage than just eating, don't they? I mean, a pasture like that would be easy for cattle to break legs in. They urinate and defecate all over hay and feed for livestock. They drive away native species and badly damage habitat. They are truly menaces

Yeah, they just ruin everything. We don't go anywhere on the place, outside the front/barnyard, without a rifle in the truck.

This one was bagged about 20 min away from us.  :ahhh

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/outdoors/article/Nearly-800-pound-hog-caught-in-Texas-6043871.php
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: July 10, 2016, 02:30:42 PM
That pig is enormous. Yikes

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: July 10, 2016, 03:13:03 PM
That is a smurf load of bacon.  This is one of many reasons why overkill is important with an animal like that, as is a quick, clean kill.  You don't want to take chances with something that big and powerful. 

Timon may not be around to wins with him and Pumba might start singing "Hakuna matata my ass! I'm going to smurf you up!"

Def

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: July 11, 2016, 06:05:54 PM
These are from Plaska Lodge a big hunting ranch up in the Texas panhandle (rdub...look at the last hunter's gun)

http://www.plaskalodge.com/hog-hunting-texas-boar-hunts-pigs-trophy-large-hogs-lodge-ranch.html

I saw an article somewhere where a Texas Parks and Wildlife guy was talking about hogs over 1000lbs. Still looking for it.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: July 11, 2016, 06:32:49 PM
now I want Pizza

:kirky:

>:D

My work here is done!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%