Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Legal carry in New York

kirk13 · 25 · 1703

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Legal carry in New York
on: November 27, 2017, 02:45:26 AM
There's a chance I might be visiting New York City in the new year. Can anyone tell me if there's any specific laws about what knives or tools can be carried?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline charlie fox

Re: Legal carry in New York
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 03:39:39 AM
Do not carry anything with an exposed pocket clip! A good 3” folder that cannot be “flicked” open should be okay, but I’d stick with a SAK of some flavor to be on the safe side.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 04:48:11 AM
Honestly to be safe I would just stick with a SAK. I've heard stories of cops holding on to the blade of a knife and trying to get it to "flick" open as they fumble around with it. If they can get it to open even once regardless of the ridiculous machinations involved it can be treated as a "gravity" knife which they then can arrest you for. And as mentioned above, do not carry any knife clipped to your pocket. Concealed carry only.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:58:48 AM
That's great guys,thank you! I was looking at the idea of a Small Tinker or something of that nature anyway :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 05:37:04 AM
A ticket out of town?

There is honestly NO reason for me to go to , through, or near NYC, and if possible I would boycott any business based there.The "weapons" laws in NY state are a a nightmare, and the city (which runs the state as it's peasant vassal) is at least ten times worse. If a cop examines your knife and somehow can open it one handed, no matter how many times he tries and how convoluted his method is when he succeeds, you can go to jail because that means it's a "switchblade" or "gravity knife". There have been some rather infamous cases where the Buck 110 was classed as a "gravity knife" and the owner jailed. Even though pepper spray and mace, at least small containers, are clearly stated in the law to be LEGAL, people get arrested for carrying them pretty frequently.

I wouldn't bring anything other than MAYBE a 58mm SAK based off the amount of grief I got the one and only time I was there with a SAK and friends of mine who were there with SAKs or a Leatherman. My brother got hassled for a mini-maglight a few years ago- apparently, it's a billy club there. He left it there rather than put up with the BS. And he was still an EMT at the time, he was doing a transport. I'll let you ponder that, EMS in uniform and on the job being harassed for carrying a light that is less than 7" long. When he went as part of mutual aid for Sandy a year later, apparently there were guys hassled for having the basic tools of their trade, both EMS and fire.

NY STATE section 265.15 #4 reads..... "The possession by any person of any dagger, dirk, stiletto, dangerous knife or any other weapon, instrument, appliance or substance designed, made or adapted for use primarily as a weapon, is presumptive evidence of intent to use the same unlawfully against another. " In plain language, if it can be used as a weapon, and you aren't one of the rich and fabulous, you have it to use it as a weapon if the guy with the badge says you do. And the guy with the badge, which I've heard or read more than a few former NYPD officer call a "license to kill" or at least a "license to hurt", is going to be right until proven right in court, regardless of what the law says- state law says that a 4" knife is legal, but NYPD enforces a "four finger rule" where anything longer than THAT cop's four fingers are wide is illegal. There is also a law that sometimes is used that says 3" is the limit- they have many laws. They can make something stick.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:57:55 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 06:25:27 AM
I've lived here over 20 years and you'll be just fine carrying around a small tinker. In the very unlikely situation that you do get stopped and a cop asks why you have a knife, don't say something like, "To de-animate perps on the subway."  Though somehow I don't imagine that would have been your response anyway :D

Although I'm quite sure it has never been tried before, if you do get in trouble, there is always the :kirky: defense :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 06:37:01 AM by theonew »

us Offline watchandknife

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 06:40:33 AM
I work near 47th and 3rd and I’ve never see a cop flicking a knife open or stopping someone to investigate. Maybe because I’m in a less touristy part of town?

Pen clips look similar to pocket clips on a knife. Honestly as long as your not parading it around you’ll be fine especially if it’s a sak.

Whatever you do just don’t raise your voice to the officer or talk to them in a condescending tone and you’ll be fine.

I’ve used my SAKs in nypenn and all over Times Square and no issues.
Follow me on Instagram @    watchandknife

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 09:38:50 AM
I might decide to leave the SAKs somewhere safe, and go walking around with a keychain light or piece of tissue paper clipped to my pocket to see what happens if a LEO sees the clip, but that's just me.  >:D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 01:42:51 PM
hell NY laws are absurd.
I've managed to open my Opinels a few times one handed, I guess they must be "switchblades" then   :facepalm:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 03:25:01 PM
Was not aware NYC knife law were so strict.  Very interesting to hear knife laws from everywhere.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 06:42:34 PM
What is a bit frustrating is that a bill passed both state legislative bodies with overwhelming support, I think only a handful of members voted against it, that clarified the law to define a gravity knife as exactly what it is, a knife with a button that allows a blade to open by the force of gravity. Knives that require you to open them by pushing on the blade, such as your basic one-hand openers, would then be explicitly legal to carry in the city. The governor vetoed the bill saying the language wasn't clear enough. It was reintroduced this year with new language, also passed both houses with overwhelming support and once again was vetoed by the governor :poh:

Kniferights.org has been an amazing champion of this bill but I somehow think even they are becoming disillusioned with New York politics :ahhh

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 08:12:52 PM
Don't take any knife, here is my nightmare thread from 5 years ago:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,39307.msg630636.html#msg630636

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 09:11:51 PM
I went last year. I dont have time to type everything out right now but the short story is: take either a non locking blade or one that requires 2 steps to open like a Gerber MT. Carry everything completely concealed and dont carry somewhere you may be searched. If you have a Vic Spirit that should work too b/c it is impossible to “flip open” bc there is nowhere for them to grab the blade

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 09:13:41 PM
Btw, i also got around this by carrying a case russlock. OHO once you learn how but there is no way you can flip it open, not even if you grab the blade with pliers. It is just too stiff

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 09:16:14 PM
The Russlock is actually PERFECT for legally carrying a OHO locking folder there. It gets past all of the ridiculously stupid laws.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 04:20:42 AM
Even if it is legal, cops rarely actually know the law. Thats why we have lawyers, who will recommend pleading to a crime you're not actually guilty of becuase it's faster and easier.

We don't live in a just society. We live in a legal one. To quote Comrade Beria, "Show me the man and I'll find you the crime." Every single adult in America could be charged with something no matter how bogus sounding, if the system really wants you in a cage. It could just be the cold meds making me cranky, but read your Orwell. We're getting there, if we already aren't. But read it while you still can.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:24:45 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 09:41:56 PM
IronRaven, I concur.

I have said for years we are already there.

1984 -
-we willingly have viewscreens in our homes. If they are not the TV, then they are the phones. "They" don't have to "spy" on us. Many of us give it away willingly on Facebook
-Winston Smith works in an office writing revisionist history. This is accomplished online today. If you don't print and keep it, you could go back to a website days later and find slightly different content.
- government taking a priority role over family and individuals
-the idea of an "enemy of the day" and how that target shifts back and forth

Fahrenheit 451 -
- giant screens on the wall to view our alternate reality "family and friends"
-getting our news from those alternate reality friends
-government taking a priority role over family and individuals
- fireproof homes
-the drone that is a dog, but can also fly and revert back to a dog for ground pursuit...any of our drones today plus whatever Boston Scientific is working on at the moment...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep -
- the human looking robot is really coming into its own now and in the immediate future

And you are right. This is not a society about justice...only about what you can prove, or popular opinion

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 11:30:03 PM
I went through this dance 15 years ago, it's not legal for you to be in possession of a knife as you aren't a US citizen and it makes no difference if the police know the law or not, they aren't the ones that decide on prosecutions.

My advice, don't bother as much as it will drive you insane.

Need a bottle opener? buy one of them. Just don't bother with the knife.

As others have said article 265 is so bloody convoluted with no clear definition of what a 'dangerous weapon' is.

Mark
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 11:43:57 PM
I went through this dance 15 years ago, it's not legal for you to be in possession of a knife as you aren't a US citizen and it makes no difference if the police know the law or not, they aren't the ones that decide on prosecutions.

My advice, don't bother as much as it will drive you insane.

Need a bottle opener? buy one of them. Just don't bother with the knife.

As others have said article 265 is so bloody convoluted with no clear definition of what a 'dangerous weapon' is.

Mark

:salute:

It's just not worth the risk, if you somehow go through a metal detector at an event or get in an altercation, even a hidden knife could land you in jail, which was the most miserable experience of my life, cost me a lot of money & time going back and forth to NYC to get my possesions, court appearances and community service, trying to keep people here from avoiding what I went through cause it could scar you for life.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:44:59 PM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 03:00:13 AM
I have a possible solution? Kirk, what is so pressing you must be in NYC?

Come to New England- the real New England, not New York's cronies, but Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. We're like New York, with out all the extra people and ugly buildings and pollution. Once you're out of the airport, we don't care whats in your pocket so long as you aren't stupid with it and it's less than six feet long. We might ask you to take off a sword if you wear it on your belt, and places like movie theatres and dance halls get fussy if you carry one across your back, but if we can't see it, it's wee enough we don't care. Unless you're drunk. And my, what a fetching trench coat you have! We don't even care if you have a funny accent and weird ID, so long as you drive on the RIGHT side of the road, as in starboard. Many of us will even take Euros and Pounds at a 1 to 1 equivalency with the US Dollar- we're taking a loss, but we do love our friends from across the pond.

Is it a tryst? Nothing says romantic like Vermont to a New Yorker!  Business deal? Why not go where the big boys went, Bretton Woods- cut a world class deal while looking like a pro, then hit the slopes. Or maybe you just want to cut loose, go nuts- there is a whole state full of Mainiacs where no one will say a thing so long as you don't decapitate a statue or grope a moose.

(Sorry Canada, you don't have funny money, but it is for loonies. No special deal.)

(And serious thread was getting way to serious. Partially my fault. But all of the above is true.)

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 03:36:53 AM
Ok, contry hick red neck here, but just wondering why on this good green earth anybody would subject themselves to New York, Chitown or LA............maybe a few others thrown in..........gives me cold shivers just  letting the thought cross what little mind I have. :facepalm: :ahhh :climber:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 03:52:08 AM
I have a possible solution? Kirk, what is so pressing you must be in NYC?

Come to New England- the real New England, not New York's cronies, but Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. We're like New York, with out all the extra people and ugly buildings and pollution. Once you're out of the airport, we don't care whats in your pocket so long as you aren't stupid with it and it's less than six feet long. We might ask you to take off a sword if you wear it on your belt, and places like movie theatres and dance halls get fussy if you carry one across your back, but if we can't see it, it's wee enough we don't care. Unless you're drunk. And my, what a fetching trench coat you have! We don't even care if you have a funny accent and weird ID, so long as you drive on the RIGHT side of the road, as in starboard. Many of us will even take Euros and Pounds at a 1 to 1 equivalency with the US Dollar- we're taking a loss, but we do love our friends from across the pond.

Is it a tryst? Nothing says romantic like Vermont to a New Yorker!  Business deal? Why not go where the big boys went, Bretton Woods- cut a world class deal while looking like a pro, then hit the slopes. Or maybe you just want to cut loose, go nuts- there is a whole state full of Mainiacs where no one will say a thing so long as you don't decapitate a statue or grope a moose.

(Sorry Canada, you don't have funny money, but it is for loonies. No special deal.)

(And serious thread was getting way to serious. Partially my fault. But all of the above is true.)

Tbh Ironraven,New England would appeal to me a lot more. I going to visit a someone rather than to see a somewhere if that makes sense.

Funnily enough,the bit that sealed the deal was that there's a SR71 on board the USS Intrepid  :ahhh

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 04:31:04 AM
Funnily enough,the bit that sealed the deal was that there's a SR71 on board the USS Intrepid  :ahhh

Fair enough. The Intrepid collection and the leggy French lady in the harbor have almost talked me into it a couple times.

Almost.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 04:41:13 AM
I try to avoid the city as much as possible these days, but sometimes go to a concert at the beacon theate. times square and midtown have become huge tourist traps, you can barely walk down the street around there even at 2 am, the mass of people swarming everywhere is hard to believe, if you don't like crowds its best to avoid this area, its pretty insane

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 06:09:39 AM
The closest I've come to trouble having lived here over 20 years was when I was working at an office near Grand Central. I had to re-route some cables and move some servers around, so I brought a heavy duty fixed blade in a sheepsfoot pattern to cut wallboard and ceiling tiles. It wasn't very long but was fairly thick in its kydex sheath. At the end of the day, after all the secretaries had left, the head partner asked me if I could take a patent application to the post office for express mailing. He was an older gentleman in his late seventies and was very apologetic as that really wasn't something I should have been asked to do but the case had to be mailed with a receipt that day. So I agreed and headed over to the post office next to Grand Central. As I'm walking in, there was a cop stationed near the door and he immediately started staring at me. I thought that was weird as I don't usually stand out much in a crowd. At first I was worried that maybe he thought I looked like someone who was wanted. In any case I had a few different stops to make in the post office and had to fill out some forms. Every time I look around he was right there staring at me and following me around. It got to the point where I almost said, 'Hey what the smurf?' But that is just something you do NOT do. So in any case, I get the dang thing mailed and walk out of the post office with him following me to the door. As I'm walking back to the office I look down and notice that the fixed blade knife is printing very obviously through my pocket  :oops:  I may have dodged a bullet that day but I'm quite sure that knife wouldn't have been found illegal had he stopped me but then again maybe it would have :shrug:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%