Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poll: What is the worst MT Bottle Opener? With GAW !

Poll

What is the worst MT Bottle Opener?

Gerber Dime
1 (1.8%)
Leatherman regular (Wave, ST etc)
15 (27.3%)
Leatherman Skele
1 (1.8%)
Leatherman Squirt
11 (20%)
OPT (all the same?)
0 (0%)
Timberline Swiss Key OPT
4 (7.3%)
Victorinox/Wenger regular BO
0 (0%)
Vic 85/91mm combi
1 (1.8%)
Vic 108mm BO/saw combi
1 (1.8%)
Vic 58mm combi
1 (1.8%)
Wenger combi
1 (1.8%)
SOG Crosscut
2 (3.6%)
Other Gerber keychain tools
4 (7.3%)
Gerber MP600
2 (3.6%)
Bucktool 350
2 (3.6%)
Mission Critical Parasite
0 (0%)
Leatherman PST
0 (0%)
Gerber BG Compact
1 (1.8%)
LM  Minitool
1 (1.8%)
LM Juice
1 (1.8%)
LM Micra
0 (0%)
Gerber Flik
4 (7.3%)
Vic 74mm - Is no BO a bad BO ?? ;-)
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 54

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Poll: What is the worst MT Bottle Opener? With GAW !
Reply #60 on: July 20, 2016, 11:16:22 AM
:multi:  FWIW, I've never had an issue using the Charge TTI or Wave opening bottle caps with the can opener. All one has to do is lay the flat side against the bottle cap and flip up.

Leatherman's social media threw a fit about the can opener being used for anything else other than opening cans...  even after I posted a simple video demonstrating how easy it was. Threw them for a loop when I used the can opener for a striker device to start a fire with (my first ferrocerium try). And... it can be used for a fat-sided awl too.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #61 on: July 20, 2016, 11:34:49 AM
It's the leatherman squirt for me. Not because it's a bad opener really, just that you need 2 or 3 goes next to each other to lift the cap successfully because of its small size.  I've never had a problem with the larger Leatherman multitools at all. It's usually a lack of bottles rather than poor tool performance  :D

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: July 21, 2016, 03:54:30 AM
:multi:  FWIW, I've never had an issue using the Charge TTI or Wave opening bottle caps with the can opener. All one has to do is lay the flat side against the bottle cap and flip up.

Leatherman's social media threw a fit about the can opener being used for anything else other than opening cans...  even after I posted a simple video demonstrating how easy it was. Threw them for a loop when I used the can opener for a striker device to start a fire with (my first ferrocerium try). And... it can be used for a fat-sided awl too.

Got a link to your vid? I think I understand what you're saying, more of a twisting action than a levering action?

Congrats to the winners. Though my preference is for the Rogue over the Rambler, Victorinox don't make them anymore.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: July 21, 2016, 07:03:22 AM
Thanks Huntsman for the poll and GAW....nicely done!    :tu:

And congrats to the winners...pictures are required!   :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: July 21, 2016, 07:13:38 AM
I'm not sure if I'm successfully sending PMs?

I think I've tried twice, but they're not showing up in my "sent items".

:-\

Edit: Oh wait, there's a checkbox for that.

Nevermind.

Sorry for the extra messages Huntsman.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 07:15:48 AM by Sea Monster »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #65 on: July 22, 2016, 03:59:46 PM
Wow! Thanks, Huntsman! I've been wanting to upgrade my Rally for awhile. It's always hard to decide between having scissors or a bottle opener+phillips. This solves my problems!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: July 22, 2016, 04:09:11 PM
 :woohoo:

Thanks Huntsman :salute:

And congratz to the winners :cheers:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #67 on: July 22, 2016, 04:43:39 PM
Thanks Huntsman, and congrats to everyone who won (except Sea Monster, he doesn't deserve it :D)
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #68 on: August 07, 2016, 09:10:39 AM
Three nice little bottle openers ready to go to their new homes ...... finally
All cleaned, polished and oiled.

The reason for the delay will be explained in another thread!!

And of course I declare
  • The winner to be the classic LM Bottle Opener – This came as a bit of a surprise
  • Second place to the Squirt – Hoorah – This was my winner

One comment on the winner – I think the vast majority of members of this forum are Leatherman bods, and of that group probably all of us, have either a Wave, Charge, Supertool or such like. So maybe this tool won just coz more of us out there have this tool ???

And what else can we conclude from this GAW – Well it seems a lot of us are not very impressed with our MT bottle openers.  :twak:
Maybe this is the classic multitool syndrome – In that every tool on a multitool  is a compromise compared to a dedicated tool - I hate the use the term ‘real tool’ – as to me multitools are real tools!!
Of course some are very good compromises – some not so good – It seems that the bottle opener falls into the ‘not so good’ category!! 

Maybe we would be better off using a dedicated tool like this one.

Raistlin posted a very interesting thread on this very topic last year, giving a bar man’s perspective on a bottle opener, compared to a multitool fanatic's.
Although I think he meant ultimate not penultimate!!
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61974.0.html

Anyway in conclusion - For me - most of my MT BOs (with the exception of the Squirt of course!!) work pretty well and are probably one of my most used tools.

That’s all folks !!

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: August 08, 2016, 08:40:09 AM

Raistlin posted a very interesting thread on this very topic last year, giving a bar man’s perspective on a bottle opener, compared to a multitool fanatic's.
Although I think he meant ultimate not penultimate!!
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61974.0.html

Anyway in conclusion - For me - most of my MT BOs (with the exception of the Squirt of course!!) work pretty well and are probably one of my most used tools.

That’s all folks !!

I think I have one of those in a kitchen drawer, but with all the other junk in there it is impossible to find. Got a full tang made in Japan opener that is much easier to lay hands on that works on the same design. Will take a pic if I remember, as it has some other features I don't know what for that someone may know

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: August 08, 2016, 03:12:07 PM
So here's an example of the penultimate bottle opener, with this other Japanese one from my kitchen. All it says is Stainless steel Japan. Not sure what the purpose of the sticky out bit, other than maybe ice pick, And no idea if the small Phillips shaped hole serves any function at all

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1470661717104.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1470661717104.jpg (Filesize: 44.94 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: August 23, 2016, 11:08:00 AM
Thank you Huntsman.   :cheers:   :cheers:

Show content
:like:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #72 on: August 23, 2016, 02:14:47 PM
Great and you are very welcome  - The first to arrive - Yay   :tu:

Nice pic ....... of course .......  it's a Zoidy pic   :D - I hope it serves you well.

Bit of a GAW  :mail: day for you today eh? .......  Nice - Well done

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: December 23, 2016, 08:43:00 PM
It's a bit late, but the wee rally finally had a chance to do more than tighten my glasses...

Rally1.jpg
* Rally1.jpg (Filesize: 67.64 KB)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #74 on: December 24, 2016, 06:37:40 AM
Great  :tu:

Don't forget to drop it off at my house on your way to Bobbin Head if you want it converted to a Rambler
I probably wont be in, but there should be somewhere to stash it - Let me know where - & Let me know if you need my address again

H

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: December 24, 2016, 09:03:25 AM
Will do mate  :tu:

If you're still after a cheap steel signal mirror, I'll pop one of them along with it :P

For anyone not familiar with it - I can confirm that the 58mm Vic combo tool is excellent at opening bottles :)

Almost too good actually. :whistle:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 09:04:59 AM by Sea Monster »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: July 08, 2017, 01:58:13 AM
I'm still using this one.   :like:   :climber:

Reply #77 on: July 08, 2017, 07:39:52 AM
 Not in, merely participating. Guess was late anyhow. LOL

Worst.. in no certain order..

• Teeth, yeah, bad bad BAD!  :twak:
 • Victorinox Manager, perty much like those you're giving away
 • KHHI Scourge - it works if you don't cut yourself in a bad way first!
 • Cement - seen the can opener version? bottle opener version is worse
 • Anything Gerber is bad for anything, not just bottles

As for Leatherman Wave and such, y'all are serious wimps if you haven't figured out how to use the can opener as a bottle opener.  :twak:
 Use the angled flat side of the CO to open a bottle. Too many people need educated on how to use a multitool past its purposes. Man, hate to see them trying to use a Leatherman as a survival tool if their smurf was on the line.  :ahhh  I stitched boots back together when I was out on the fire line with a Super Tool! Did it on lunch break even, and that was using an awl & pliers. Saved my foot, saved my job, and been using an awl since. (Thread loops make the job easier now. Didn't have them then.) Even use the CO as a blade and hole punch. Oops, better put the cats back in the back. can't let too many secrets out.  :P
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:42:13 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #78 on: July 08, 2017, 12:24:38 PM
Looks like one other member has voted with me on the 74mm no-bottle opener conundrum ...
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Reply #79 on: July 08, 2017, 05:37:45 PM

Got a link to your vid? I think I understand what you're saying, more of a twisting action than a levering action?

Congrats to the winners. Though my preference is for the Rogue over the Rambler, Victorinox don't make them anymore.

Will have to make another video. Have one on the KHHI Scourge though.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDY2MSMaZcM
¬ Outback in Idaho

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #80 on: July 09, 2017, 12:55:53 AM
I'm still using this one.

That's reallly good to hear Zoidy.

As I have to admit to more than a tinge of regret when I sent if off to you.  :cry:
After it was all cleaned up and polished, I realised I really liked the blue scales (did not have that colour), and I always like the metal inlays, even for advertising knives, and that Swisslube logo was pretty cool. :(

Anyway it was a good excuse to get another with blue handles - So I now have a Climber and Sportsman in blue  :D

And I was very happy to help you out, after the unfortunate demise of your other Rambler  ;)

Victorinox Manager, perty much like those you're giving away
As for Leatherman Wave and such, y'all are serious wimps if you haven't figured out how to use the can opener as a bottle opener. Use the angled flat side of the CO to open a bottle ........

Yep agreed re the LM - I was very surprised it won the poll - It always worked for me - And that is a great tip to slant the blade
Re the Manager that works fine too - I think you are a serious wimp if you cannot make that one work :pok:  ;)  :D  :twak:

PS. Ziody - I knew you were still using the Rambler, BTW - As I spied it in the corner of one of your other piccies  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:03:08 AM by Huntsman »

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: July 09, 2017, 01:09:44 AM
Speaking of which.... :P

I'll be on the East Coast for the second half of July, and these pretzels are making me thirsty...

:whistle:

Reply #82 on: July 09, 2017, 09:15:58 PM
Victorinox Manager, perty much like those you're giving away
As for Leatherman Wave and such, y'all are serious wimps if you haven't figured out how to use the can opener as a bottle opener. Use the angled flat side of the CO to open a bottle ........

Yep agreed re the LM - I was very surprised it won the poll - It always worked for me - And that is a great tip to slant the blade
Re the Manager that works fine too - I think you are a serious wimp if you cannot make that one work :pok:  ;)  :D  :twak:

LOL. :duel: touché
 Actually I've never even tried to use on a bottle. Generally reach for the Leatherman I'm carrying or the Climber. Manager is there more or less as a backup, mostly for the pen, knife, fixing nicked nails. With such a small opening figured of all the list it would been the worst.

Still carrying the Flair as daily work EDC. The butter knife makes for a great ice cream scooper ... till the stuff start melting. I gotta find me another short titanium spork!

Bet them finger popper would be the roughest to use.
¬ Outback in Idaho

it Offline danilo

Reply #83 on: July 09, 2017, 11:47:15 PM
I'm in for the rambler! the worst bottle opener out of the MT I have is the charge one, almost hopeless. Yes you can open a bottle with it, but hardly in just one try...

the best, to me, is the victorinox one, the one om the swisstool with its extra reach is really handy, but the one on SAKs works flowlessy nonetheless.
one shot one kill

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #84 on: July 10, 2017, 12:40:08 AM

I'm in for the rambler! the worst bottle opener out of the MT I have is the charge one, almost hopeless. Yes you can open a bottle with it, but hardly in just one try...

the best, to me, is the victorinox one, the one om the swisstool with its extra reach is really handy, but the one on SAKs works flowlessy nonetheless.
one shot one kill
Errr... The give away happened 365 days ago... I missed it too  :drink:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

it Offline danilo

Reply #85 on: July 14, 2017, 03:27:59 PM

one shot one kill
Errr... The give away happened 365 days ago... I missed it too  :drink:

yes, but I dislike it so much I wanted to tell it to the world nonethless... 

us Offline cody6268

Reply #86 on: July 14, 2017, 05:21:27 PM
Yes, I know the giveaway is over, but the worst I've used is on the LM Mini Tool, since it can't reach the center of the cap. 

Best are those on utility/camp/Scouts and SAKs where they're combined with a screwdriver.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: July 14, 2017, 10:28:29 PM
I'm in, don't mind what tool and dislike the Leatherman's Rebar opener because it takes multiple lifts to open up a bottle.
Is it even a combo tool or only a can opener? :shrug:
Anyway, friday evening = SAK evening!

Reply #88 on: July 15, 2017, 04:56:28 AM
 The easiest is the Leatherman Flair. :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: July 15, 2017, 07:04:41 AM
To be fair Leatherman calls it a bottle opener not a cap lifter. So even if it cuts a hole in the cap you can still hold the bottle upside down and shake the contents out :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%