Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Strap Swap on a G Shock

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Strap Swap on a G Shock
on: July 10, 2016, 06:28:02 PM
Swapping straps on most watches is something that most of us can do in our sleep, but when it comes to the armor found on a G Shock it can be a bit more involved.  As my DW5900 had the same strap it came from the factory with some time in the 90's, it was due for a chance.  The small retention doodad came off a while ago and the rubber on the strap was starting to get brittle, so I figured it was time to replace it.  I ordered a replacement on eBay and it arrived during the week.

As you can see, it also came with new pins as well, and I thought that was awful nice of them.

And, I noticed that the new buckle was black plastic, and frankly I'd rather keep the original Casio metal one, so that added a bit to the work as well.

Many people have looked at this watch over the years and thought the strap was screwed in because of these screws on the side near where the strap is attached.  These screws are largely for show, and also hold the rubber armor on the case of the watch, so there's really no benefit to undoing them.

The DW 5900 uses regular old pins, just like any other watch, they are just hidden better by the way the strap is molded.

In my early 20's I worked in the Watch & Jewelry Repair office of an upscale Canadian department store known as the Hudson Bay Company, or just The Bay for short.  At the time I only had one SAK and I used it for everything- my trusty old Camper.  Since I still have the Camper I decided to press it into service, just like the good old days.

As you can imagine, pulling the strap off a 25 year old watch reveals some minor bio hazard areas!   :ahhh

Nothing a few Q Tips and some isopropyl alcohol can't fix though.  You may not be able to perform surgery on it, but really, how often do you perform surgery on a watch?

Once the old strap is off you can see the difference between them- same design but the old one was worn smooth and you can just tell from the photo that it doesn't like to flex.  The new one is virtually identical, except a lot more malleable and, of course, has that silly plastic buckle. 

Since apparently I didn't photograph the changing of the buckle, you will just have to take my word for the fact that it got done.  Now that the cleanup is done it is time to start putting things back together.  Upon inspecting the pins I thought the new ones felt a little flimsier than the old ones, and I don't like flimsy pins.

As you can see, I wasn't just imagining it.  0.3mm may not seem like much, but it is apparently enough that I could see and feel it, so that made the decision for me- the old pins were going back in, and since they were in good shape I didn't mind.  I'd have probably grumbled a bit if the old pins were ratty and I probably would have used the new pins and spent years complaining about how paranoid I was about them.  Luckily, as I said, the old pins weren't bent or warped in the slightest, again, thanks to the shape of the strap which fits inside the rubber armor.

You can see how protected these pins are- I fully expect to get another 25 years out of them seeing how well they are nestled in there.  You can also see that I have one end pushed out much further than the other- this is on purpose,  The holes are quite deep inside the case, so you need to have the pin sticking out that much to set the first end in the hold.

Once you have the first end in the hole, rest the opposite pin against the back of the case, then, using a SAK blade again, push the end of the pin in to retract it enough to fit inside the case, then push it down.

It looks like it's in, but don't believe it,

Carefully wiggle it around a bit until you feel it pop into place.  Then try to wiggle it a bit more- if it is seated properly you won't feel it move anymore. 

Once both sides are in firmly the strap is good to go and you can get back to enjoying your wonderful G Shock the way nature intended!

Once I got into doing this I remembered another tool I used for removing pins, perhaps the only thing more useful than a SAK, and looking back on it I wish I had it for this operation.  I had very carefully cut a notch in the end of a jeweler's screwdriver with my Dremel tool, similar to the nail pulling notch on most pry bars.  That would have simplified this strap swap (and any others) immensely, and if I was the kind of person who swapped straps a lot (as I used to be) I wouldn't hesitate to do that again.

I hope you enjoyed the latest ham fisted Def instruction thread! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Re: Strap Swap on a G Shock
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 07:02:21 PM
Nice work, boss! :tu:

I've done a few strap-swaps on my G's and Pro Treks. Definitely not standard issue parts/compatibility.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 12:34:00 AM
I got caught in the trap.

Megan and I were at Ikea today and THUNK- my watch fell off.

I didn't want to post about my embarrassment because I had just written up that entire post before heading out, but Megan said I had to.

Dagnabbit.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 01:53:29 AM
I got caught in the trap.

Megan and I were at Ikea today and THUNK- my watch fell off.

I didn't want to post about my embarrassment because I had just written up that entire post before heading out, but Megan said I had to.

Dagnabbit.

Def

Hopefully you were able to salvage all the parts (ie pins)?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 04:44:36 AM
Another benefit of the bigger pins is they stay in the holes in the strap better so I didn't lose it.

I've actually been wearing the watch for a few days now and it just fell apart today.  That gives you an idea of how careful you have to be when seating those suckers.  It could have fallen off anywhere.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 09:48:59 AM
A NATO style strap is better if you are worried about a pin falling out.

even if one pin fails the watch does not fall off.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Vinjints

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 04:22:40 PM
It's a trap indeed.  My watch fell three times before it was finally (and luckily) secure in place.  Funny thing is, I wanted to replace the watch band because the tip of had been bent up.  Now I'm constantly fighting with the end loop staying on the strap.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 02:57:52 AM
Good step by step Boss :cheers:

Just make sure you get it right next time :whistle: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 03:02:08 AM
Nice write up.  Falling for the trap is inevitable if you've changed out straps.  I tend to give quite a few tugs before calling it good and even still have had a strap fall off. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 03:02:43 AM
A NATO style strap is better if you are worried about a pin falling out.

even if one pin fails the watch does not fall off.

Indeed, but the way this strap is moulded into the case, a NATO strap isn't really an option unfortunately.  I was hoping g there would be a strap adapter available for this model but there isn't, at least not one I could find.

I have NATO straps on several other watches- Seiko Orange Monster, ZA1, Pebble all have NATO straps on them.  My Victorinox Garrison watch has a Band brand strap which is basically a long velcro strap that wraps around your wrist repeatedly, and it also holds the watch if you lose a pin.

Good step by step Boss :cheers:

Just make sure you get it right next time :whistle: :D

Yeah, tell me about it.

It would be a lot easier to seat properly if I had that notched screwdriver still.  It was great for that.  I'll have to see if I can dig up a fine screwdriver somewhere and make another one.

Def

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 03:04:18 AM
Nice write up.  Falling for the trap is inevitable if you've changed out straps.  I tend to give quite a few tugs before calling it good and even still have had a strap fall off.

Because so much of the strap fits into the case armor it holds itself in fairly well without pins.  You really have to be careful with this one.  A few simple tugs won't do it, as I found out again....

Def

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 11:39:58 AM
Is the 6900 the same strap as yours? If so these do a nato adapter for them...

http://www.suppaparts.com/suppagint.php

delivery is expensive though

england Offline Kev D

Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 04:34:33 PM

It would be a lot easier to seat properly if I had that notched screwdriver still.  It was great for that.  I'll have to see if I can dig up a fine screwdriver somewhere and make another one.

What you need is something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/PROFESSIONAL-SPRING-REMOVER-REMOVAL-REPAIR/dp/B00MY0J460/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471530790&sr=8-3&keywords=watch+strap+tool

If memory serves I think I have a couple of those ones or very similar in a drawer somewhere. I'll dig one out and send you it rather than it collecting dust in the drawer

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 06:58:55 PM
Is the 6900 the same strap as yours? If so these do a nato adapter for them...

http://www.suppaparts.com/suppagint.php

delivery is expensive though

I don't know if those would fit or not.  I'm tempted to give them a shot though.

What you need is something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/PROFESSIONAL-SPRING-REMOVER-REMOVAL-REPAIR/dp/B00MY0J460/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471530790&sr=8-3&keywords=watch+strap+tool

If memory serves I think I have a couple of those ones or very similar in a drawer somewhere. I'll dig one out and send you it rather than it collecting dust in the drawer

This is exactly what I was doing with the fine screwdrivers.  They work perfectly.

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 10:52:30 PM
Looking about on YouTube and evil bay, JaysandKays do nato adapters and 24mm bands to fit them for just a out every g-shock by the looks of it  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 02:23:04 AM
Very cool.  I may have to give them a shot.

Def

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 02:50:40 PM
I've got a set of resin adapters with 24mm Nato band for my Rangeman. I got them off the Bay last summer when I got the watch. They were easy to install and everything is still holding up after a year of regular wear. :tu:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 03:52:21 PM
I've ordered a set of the jaysandkays ones. They showed them being fitted to my model g-shock on their utube channel so I know they will fit. Very easy install on mine with it having screws instead of spring bars.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 11:15:19 PM
Sounds pretty cool!

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 04:06:09 AM
I'm glad I found this thread.  :woohoo:  The strap on my G-7400 broke a few days ago.
What's the best replacement strap to get? Do I just retract the pins with something fine to get the old ones off?

england Offline Kev D

Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 10:18:18 PM
If you like the rubber straps go for a genuine casio one. If you want to go nato I can highly recommended the jays and kays adapters and their straps. The only downer with them is they are in the US and cost as much for delivery as they do to buy.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:19:33 PM by Kevin Davey »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 11:16:32 PM
I think I will just keep it simple and stick with a rubber strap. I have only found aftermarket ones here so far so I will look further afield for a genuine Casio one.  :tu:

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 04:16:50 AM
I take my watch band repairs to The Little Watch Shop in Houston. Inexpensive and professional. I don't have the patience or the eyesight to do things like this anymore.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:17:58 AM by Yadda »
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 10:18:16 AM
The replacement strap arrived all the way from Poland but I haven't been able to get the spring bars off yet.  >:(
20170823_144507.jpg
* 20170823_144507.jpg (Filesize: 134.21 KB)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 03:01:54 PM
Well I got them off in the end. Cleaned the gunk with alcohol. Also decided to undo the screws and clean under the side parts as well. Didn't realize that would take the back off as well (it's different to Def's watch above), hopefully I haven't compromised the water resistance.

Now I'm having trouble getting the spring bars back in...  ::)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 03:03:34 PM by Syncop8r »

england Offline Kev D

Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 12:18:54 PM
You need a spring bar tool, or notch a small jewellers screwdriver

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 12:41:45 PM
I use the SAK can opener - the corner formed between the base of the SD and the beginning of the curved blade works well.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 01:19:22 AM
I can compress the spring bars easily enough with a small flat screwdriver, the problem is it's difficult to access them.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 12:42:14 PM
Sorry I'm late on this one- I didn't see it until now.  A notched jeweler's screwdriver is perhaps the best tool, but I have also done hundreds of them with the small blade on a SAK.  And yes, Casio did make them almost impossible to access.   :facepalm:

The water resistance isn't compromised as long as the O Ring is still in place and not damaged.  There is a small track on the inside of the case that it should sit in, evenly all the way around.  If it's sticking up somewhere or hanging out of that track then I would look into a replacement, which might not be a bad idea to do every so many years anyway.

I'd love to see some pics if you have any.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%