Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Huntsman's NLC GAW - Black Beauties

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Huntsman's NLC GAW - Black Beauties
on: July 11, 2016, 07:43:36 AM
Well this has worked out well – My 1,000th post is actually my NLC GAW post – Perfect  :tu:
And in anniversary month too!  :)
Although I nearly stopped all posting here and now - As my post count was 999 and likes count 222 which has a very nice symmetry to it!!  :o

Well as many have said, many times, this forum is just fantastic.  :D
The wealth of information here is amazing. What I really like, is everyone’s positivity and willingness to help our fellow MTo members. Typically this is with information about MTs, or how to approach a particular task – such as doing a mod, or even a job at home or work, sometimes it’s help finding an MT or a tool.
If you need to know something about an MT, you are almost guaranteed to find the answer here, and members will bend over backwards to help you. This enthusiasm, and generosity, and sharing of time, knowledge and brain power seems unbounded and unprecedented.
The friendship, the camaraderie, the fun we all have is just great. I have been lucky enough to experience this for about three years and 1000 posts.

Speaking of generosity - There are the RAKs and GAWs, which I think are literally unbelievable:o
Stumping up a tool, running a GAW, shipping an item to someone, who is often just a cyber-friend, is just incredible.
When I first joined the forum I was quite stunned by this, I had to witness a few to even believe it! I did not win a GAW, or have a RAK for my first couple of years – But I did not mind, I just loved this ambience. However last year this all changed, and I myself experienced the incredible generosity of this forum, and ‘won’ some very nice prizes. Thanks again for those GAWs/RAK:tu:

Now it’s my turn.
  :tu:

You may have seen my fun NLC GAW for the ‘Worst Bottle Opener’ poll – Well this is the main GAW.

Up for grabs is this superb BO Leatherman 0793/0993 PST

I love the PST (see another thread!) – This one is fab, as it’s retired, but is new, in its box, with sheath, and all the packaging and doco is there – And it is very retro – In the documentation LM even refers to it as a knife, not a multitool!! – Fascinating!! Was the term multitool even invented in the mid-90s? – And I guess these were the days when Tim and his crew were still mainly competing with SAKs, or plain knives / regular tools!

Also up for grabs is a NIB Black Victorinox Pioneer.

Of course one of the fabulous ‘sturdy’ Vic 93mm alox range and essentially (at least for about 45 years) – the actual Swiss Army Knife!! But this one has a story – I won it in Joe58’s GAW earlier this year – But am passing it on – So if you win this you will have the pleasure of knowing it has been in at least 3 MTo members possession. I have checked with Joe and he is cool with this.

So what do I have to do to win?

Well like the other GAW you have to 'sing for your supper'
Firstly: Note ‘I’m in’ and tell me whether you prefer the Vic or the LM or don’t mind (or preference sequence). No need for a list – I will keep track and summarise at the end to check!!
Secondly: Tell me a short MT story
Thirdly: You do need to have had at least 75 posts
– When I first saw this I did not like it – I thought it was a little unwelcoming, however I do want this to go to MTo contributors, and this is a good way to do that!
If you are a new member and feel you are missing out, don’t worry – there are so many GAWs here, you will soon be in – And I think all anniversary GAWs are unrestricted.

I will probably run this until the end of the month.

To give you an idea, or ten -  ;)  of the sort of story I am looking for, here's some potentials:
  • How MTs (or MTo) all started for you
  • Your favourite MT and why
  • What your EDC is
  • Why you can’t decide, or have a single EDC
  • Why you prefer SAKs
  • Why you prefer pliers based
  • Why you prefer brand xxx
  • Why you hate MT/MT brand xxx
  • Your favourite MT ‘saved the day’ story
  • The best/most interesting time/job when you have used your MT
  • Your worst MT ‘fail’ story
  • Why you like MTo
  • You may just point to your favourite MTo thread of all time
  • An unusual mod or custom
  • Maybe a pic or story of an unusual or weird MT
  • Etc etc - I hope you get the picture – And speaking of pictures – They are very welcome
Anything will do, just one short story, as long as it is MT or MTo related - The idea of this is to entertain, amuse or inform the members of our forum reading this thread.

I am departing from the usual ‘draw for a GAW’ and will select my favourite two stories. 
However, I reserve the right to wimp out of selecting and just do a draw – and based on my experience of the BO poll GAW – I may well have to do that.

So good luck everyone and thanks for participating.  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:03:03 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Huntsman's NLC GAW - Black Beauties
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 07:50:52 AM
I am in!  I prefer the PST (very tough decision though)

thank you for a great GAW, and thank you for your selflessness in doing this

my EDC always contains the following grouping:

a plier based MT (changes constantly, but mostly a wave or charge)
a SAK, usually 91mm, and usually a CT34, CT41, Champ, or Champion, but sometimes I grab a random SAK just to swith it up
an LED Lenser P2 flashlight
a space pen bullet, black with pocket clip

also, I love MTO!  it is more a family with a forum as part of the family communication.  I feel like I am part of something amazing that exceeds the typical online community.
If I can help, let me know 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:17:35 AM
 :o
Those are some nice prizes :salute: and congraz on ONETHOUSANDPOSTS :cheers: :cheers:

I have to say though, my singing voice is terrible, so I will sit this one out :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 08:25:12 AM
G'day mate, this is very generous of you.

In the unlikely event of my victory, I'd love a BO PST, but a black pioneer would see as much love with me.

Now, *ahem*.

How MTs (or MTo) all started for you -
SAKs started for me when I was forced to read Harriet the Spy in school, I got into Spies, James Bond, etc, and somehow ended up interested in SAKs. I've carried a classic ever since (the same one, actually, for those who remember my earlier days with MT.o, I took a picture of it with Duct Tape scales. It's still serving faithfully keeping my nails tidy after, holy cow, about 20 years)

Multis started for me when I started working in a workshop, I had a no-brand pliers based multi, which eventually broke (it provided noble service :salute: ) and I replaced with a "branded" multi, and eventually coughed up the cash ($100 AUD) for a LM PST.
The rest is history.

Your favourite MT and why I don't want to say it, but, my LM Wave, because while it's never stood out compared to Swisstools, I even like my LM Supertool more in theory. it's done the most hours and work.
What your EDC is at the moment- LM Wave, but I'm traveling so I didn't bring much.

Why you can’t decide, or have a single EDC
I can't "decide" because all my tools are users, but I mostly have a single EDC over a period of time to make getting dressed in the morning easier.
Why you prefer SAKs Pocket carry, easy, familiar, fun.
Why you prefer pliers based heavy duty, work orientated, less "dressy".
Why you prefer brand xxx Availability and affordability :P
Why you hate MT/MT brand xxx None have really offended me.
Your favourite MT ‘saved the day’ story Multi saved me from crashing into a cliff face when a line seized on the winch. (Good reason to have a serrated blade :P )
Your worst MT ‘fail’ story I don't know if it's the worst, but I snapped my Wave pliers using them to loosen a cam-over strap.
Why you like MTo Force of habit. I started coming here when I was researching Multitools and never left.

Did I answer enough for you :P
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:00:43 AM by Sea Monster »

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 09:54:14 AM
Wow! Great GAW Huntsman!

I'm in and would prefer the PST please though it's like choosing between chocolate and chocolate.

Maybe this isn't a wise admission, but when I first received my Wenger SI, I EDC'd it for a whole week before I realised the awl was there.  :facepalm:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:02:13 PM
Fantasitc GAW and congrats on 1k! :cheers:

I'm in and would prefer the PST (as I don't have one, yet).

Show content
How MTs (or MTo) all started for you: I received my first MT (LM Charge XTi) as a Christmas present from the woman who is now my wife. I discovered MTo many years later looking for Mod ideas for my LM Micra.

Your favourite MT and why: Favourite MT is still the XTi for sentimental reasons. For usability, my modded ST300 EOD takes that prize.

What your EDC is: Currently, my EDC setup is LM ST300 EOD Mod with bit kit, exteder and Vic ratchet, Vic Compact, Nitecore MH20 and a Bic Lighter.

Why you can’t decide, or have a single EDC: I keep thinking about how I can improve what I carry. Whether it's to trim space/weight, optimize the tool load, or because I need to try something new and shiny.

Why you prefer SAKs or pliers based: I don't prefer an SAK over an MT. I have to say that I like to pair a SAK with a multi for max capability. Also, because not many MTs have a corkscrew and pliers on an SAK are not great at cutting heavy wire.

Why you prefer brand xxx: Leatherman is my go-to MT brand. Maybe because it's the original, maybe because it was my first? Still not sure. I have tried others: Vic, SOG, Gerber but keep coming back to my trusty LM.

Why you hate MT/MT brand xxx: Surprisingly, no hate. I do dislike SOG as I just can't get along with their tools, but that's more a preference thing than anything truly emotional.

Your favourite MT ‘saved the day’ story: My LM New Surge helped me reattach a loose skid plate under my car's engine with some zip ties. Needed the awl to drill holes in the plastic cover and the pliers to fish the ties without getting burnt. Needless to say, this was all done in the parking lot of a car parts store and no-one offered to help (not that I needed it) ::).

Show content
Why you like MTo: This place is a wealth of knowledge and amazing people. I love coming here to shoot the breeze and chat about gadgets.

An unusual mod or custom: Here's a link to my ST300 modding thread - http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61197.msg1133656.html#msg1133656

Edit: Hid extra bonus content in spoilers. ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:09:25 PM by Toolslinger »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 12:23:38 PM
Guys I need to step in....

Anything will do, just one short story, as long as it is MT or MTo related -

I don't want all the questions answered - They were just ideas
Just one story please !!!
Apologies for the confusion.

Cheers  :tu:

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 12:34:49 PM

I did what you said Huntsman  :angel: Did I win yet?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:38:17 PM by magentus »

it Offline danilo

Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 12:35:52 PM
Wow, a very generous GAW, thanks!

Here's my story with MT and MTo.

It's winter 2014 and after some years in a drawer I want to carry my Victorinox Picknicker again and, why not?, let's see what's on the internet about Victorinox.

Uhm the internet has quite a few contents about knives, and... what are those pliers they have? Who would need a pair of pliers? are they nuts? pfff the internet people...

Look, there is also a website called multitools - that's how they call those pliers - let's have a look at what those unfortunate souls do with those pliers.

Uh, look, Victorinox makes a pliers-based multitool - that's the proper name of such a foolish thing - ah, they've put many tools in it, eh? Umm those tools are actually quite nice. Good work Victorinox.

And this "Leatherman"... I've heard this name before, on a motorcycle forum, so this is what Leatherman is eh?

Let's check amazon for prices on these stuff... whAT!?! they cost that much? seriously? did I say those people are nuts?

Fast forward of a couple of weeks and I'm waiting the postman to bring me a Swisstool X AND a squirt PS4.

Wait a few months more, and I'm buying a charge, and LM bit kits followed shortly, with a bit extender of course.

Uh the LM sheats is getting old, I will probably need some better ones, look SKINTHs, why not buy a couple of them? of course I do.

Then of course I needed flashlights, eneloops batteries and a better charger.

Why not add a prying bar?

Tweezers?

... and so on so forth, up to today, when I've received a brand new Gerber MP400 (with the bit kits of course).

What still puzzles me is who I have to blame, you guys or me. (I hear you saying to blame Kirk, of course, but I was leaning towards blaming myself).

The problem with all this is that I have a feeling this story is not over yet... :)

Danilo

EDIT: I'm in for the PST - beeeeeautiful

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:37:53 PM by danilo »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 12:51:57 PM
I'm in!!  :woohoo:  Thanks for the great GAW, and the chance super H!!  :cheers:

I'd prefer the Vic (pretty please) :dd:

While I don't really hate any brands, one thing I do hate is the Bear Grylls Gerber line.  One would think that having his own line of tools, they'd be pretty high quality, right? :think:  WRONG!!! :ahhh  A lot of his stuff has "Ultimate" in the name, yet they are far from!  A fancier looking Suspension is the ultimate MT?? :rofl:

Good luck to everyone!!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 12:52:58 PM

Just cause you're a mod now, doesn't mean you can intimidate others! :pok:

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 12:59:31 PM

Just cause you're a mod now, doesn't mean you can intimidate others! :pok:
It does! It's top of the job description! I'm not achieving my intimidation targets set by Grant because I'm too lovely. I have to intimidate some more or I'll get demoted.

Here goes........

Watch what you say DMac or you're for it!

That goes for you too Huntsman. And don't think I didn't see you too Toolslinger.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 02:07:37 PM

But it's MTo. The answer is always 'both' or 'all of them'... :D

I went and edited my post to hide the extra bonus content. :)

In all seriousness, thanks again for the GAW!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:10:08 PM by Toolslinger »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 02:20:51 PM

Cheers

I'm not confused, I've just got a lot of love to give. :multi:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 02:34:22 PM
Congratulations Huntman! Very nice give away and very generous of you.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline lichan

Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 04:05:09 PM
Thanks for a great GAW, Huntsman, and congratulations on the NLC. I would prefer the BO PST if I were to win.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I found a small pocket knife while taking my dog for a walk in the just-built streets of the housing development. It was about 58 mm long and had seven “tools” including two small blades, a pair of scissors, nail file/cleaner, a small flat screw driver, fold-out tweezers  and another one that I can’t recall. It was entirely of metal and rectangular in shape. As might be obvious, it was not a Victorinox Minichamp! But it was very well-made from pretty good steel. I had always carried a two-blade Old-Timer pocket knife but could immediately see the advantages of the smaller multifunction knife. I carried it for several years in my early career, even using it during boring meetings for entertainment by folding the tools out into a semblance of an animal (scissors being the head) as we’ve all probably done. One day it went missing through a hole in my pocket! Devastated, I looked for a possible replacement. What I found was a very similar tool at a Target store, a Victorinox Minichamp with the seven tools and tweezers and toothpick in the handle (I didn’t know what scales were.) It was expensive for me for the time, about $28 if I remember correctly and it became my new EDC (didn’t  know that terminology, either.) I carried it for about 24 years during which time I acquired a fancy Leatherman pliers-based tool as work award for some accomplishment or other. And there the situation stood for quite some time. About two years ago in the winter, I was in the garage using my Minichamp on a furniture-repair/refinishing project and placed it in the side pocket of my coat. After the work was done, I took the coat to a Laundromat to wash it (at the urging of my wife).  I thought I heard something banging in the machine but a cursory glance revealed nothing. Yes, I lost my Minichamp at the Laundromat! You’re welcome, whoever found it. Now replacement was no problem because I knew what it was and the internet and Amazon had come into existence. What I replaced it with was a Midnight Minichamp because I loved the options of a pen and bright white LED. But I missed the toothpick and tweezers! I headed to everybody’s friend, Google, to search ways to include them in my new SAK (again, not a term I was familiar with). The first place that popped up was a post by someone called Syph007 on a website called MultiTool.org. I was hooked, you know the rest!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 04:43:18 PM
Congrats on all the milestones, Huntsman! The NLC, birthday and GAW!
 :cheers: :drink: :salute: :tu:

I'm more than IN on this one!
 :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:

When In the event of winning, I'd prefer the Leatherman. Those are even harder to get here than the SAKs.

If it really is just about singing, I'll win this hands down. I just lost count of how many drinks/meals/euros I've won by singing.
My secret:
Show content
It's just a matter of singing higher and in a higher pitch until they give up and give you whatever you want just to shut you up.

:D :D

I've always carried a small pocket knife, since I was a kid. A few years back, I started reading about knives and bushcraft in the interwebs. I began to know more about knives and started buying some different brands and models. I got to carry some small MT/pliers (Swisstech and True Utility, mainly). Also a small flashlight, it did come in handy while working with computers and switch racks.

Then, one day, I stumbled upon this place... and the rest is histerya... huh... history.

I've carried a lot less and a lot more than I do now. The perfect EDC is an elusive mirage, ever changing and always escaping your grasp.

For now, I'm going with the Vic SignatureLite + Nitecore Tube + LedLenser F3 + folder/SAK of the day. Also some pens and paper notepads, but that's not so "toolish". I've become, if not MacGyver, the guy everyone turns to when they need a tool (maybe because I'm one, to begin with).

I love it when someone that has made fun of me carrying around "all those knives and junk and smurf" comes to me, with eyes on the ground, blushing and asking in a whisper: "Huh... Can you help me?..."

8) 8) 8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 04:56:55 PM
Congrats on joining the ranks of the NLC  :cheers:  What a generous GAW as well.   :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 05:41:01 PM
Wow that is an awesome GAW :ahhh Very generous and congrats on the NLC statis :cheers:

I will come back to this when I have a bit more time to answer this better but I would like to be in and for the BO PST :o

Who wouldn't have guessed I would have picked the PST :facepalm: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 06:13:34 PM
What a wonderfully generous GAW  :2tu:.  Good luck to all.

I'm going to sit this out but for what its worth I'l share a ramble.

I have 5 MTs on my desk.  3 are Waves, 1 ST300, 1 modified Kick ( blunt nose ).  I don't use my ST300 much but since it was a gift I don't pack it away.  My Waves are my go to tools.  I keep a MP400 BO, Swisstool, OHT, and Surge on my truck  :whistle:.  This is MTo right?  Would you expect less  :D

I've "met" some really terrific people here.  In my 3 years I've seen some pretty incredible things.  I find my time here relaxing.  I'm not as voracious of a thread reader as I once was but I do very much enjoy all the random chatter  :rofl:.   

Some of you are pretty funny and some are down right hilarious.  I may have tinkled a few times  :facepalm: reading some posts.   

To those who sit in the background.  Come out and engage.  As you see we don't bite ( much ).  You certainly don't need to add any world changing posts nor ground breaking new info ( tho it would be great ).  This place is for the camaraderie, for the great wealth of information, the great laughs, some tears, or total randomness. 

Where was I  :think:.  I don't have a clue what the heck I was saying or where I was going with this.   

Thanks to my Canadian brother from another mother Def, for 3 years of terrific fun. 

Random pics.

IMG_1060 copy.jpg
* IMG_1060 copy.jpg (Filesize: 223.61 KB)
IMG_1061 copy.jpg
* IMG_1061 copy.jpg (Filesize: 233.02 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 06:23:26 PM
What a amazing GAW and the generosity is awesome! I will sit this one out as I have both tools already. I would love to make the PST a user though.  :D Thanks for the generosity, but I'm sitting this one out. Your awesome for this GAW and just in general.  :salute:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:26:41 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 07:07:04 PM
Wow that is an awesome GAW :ahhh Very generous and congrats on the NLC statis :cheers:

I will come back to this when I have a bit more time to answer this better but I would like to be in and for the BO PST :o

Who wouldn't have guessed I would have picked the PST :facepalm: :D

OK I am gonna go with how I got started with MTs :)

It was around 1994 or 1995 :think: My Grandfather had a very neat set of folding pliers in a black sheath with gold lettering (see where I am going with this ;) ) It spelled out Leatherman on it and I was intrigued so I got it out to look at it :o I was already into knives and have been my whole life but this was different :ahhh I am sure I had played with the thing off and on for years but then lost memory of it.  I was always into gadgets of some sort as well so I had a pair of small folding pliers around 1999 (Serbertech M3) .  I carried it for a long while and loved having the pliers and drivers with me :cheers:  Fast forward to early 2008 and here I am watching Survivorman with a Wave and I start thinking about my Grandpa's pliers.  I asked my Grandma about them as he had passed a couple years before that and she would never use them ;)  She found them for me and I put it on my belt and I felt prepared for the world.  Being the sentimental type though I wanted to get another set so I could keep my Grandpa's set up and out of harms way ;) Researching I came across a site with a bunch of silly, crazy, MT enthusiasts that seemed very friendly and helpful.  SO helpful that I was broke half the time for all the MTs I was getting :facepalm: This is how it started for me and also my time here :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 07:08:35 PM
This is also why I have a soft spot for PSTs :cheers:

I still have my Grandpa's PST but it is put up and out of harms way :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 08:51:32 PM
Congrats on 1k! :cheers:

This is a very generous GAW!

Id love to win that bo PST!

My favorite "tool saved the day" story:
Cutting a long story short, I was called up after work a few years ago by a one of the excavator drivers that told me a couple of bus sheds that some other guys at work had put up, was beeing blown over by a very powerful wind. I was not that far away so I turned around my car and met up with him and his son to try to save the sheds. One had already been blown over and smashed, but the other one was still standing, barely.
We discovered that the lazy SOBs that had put them up had only fastened them to the foundation with 2 out of 8 bolts. We got more bolts in a hurry, and between the wind gusts we tried to realign the shed to fasten the bolts. Thats when we discovered that there were some kind of plastic protectors stuck in the holes stopping the bolts from screwing in. The wind had started to pick up even more at this point, and all three of us where hanging on to the shed to keep it from ripping apart. Then I remembered the Gerber Cruicial in my pocket. Throwing the cruicial from man to man we used it to get the stubborn protectors out wich enabled us to fasten the rest of the bolts. That crucial in my pocket saved the company I work for a lot of money. (Those sheds are smurfing expencive)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 09:13:54 PM
I'm also going to sit this one out as well because I have a few BO PST's and a nice Red shield Black Pioneer already. But in the spirit of the GAW here is my story.

My first exposure to multi tools was in the early to mid 90's. I was working for a painting/carpentry contractor in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. One day we hired a guy that had just moved from Oregon and as we started working together I noticed that he was carrying a Black sheath on his belt. Well, having always liked knives I asked him what kind he was carrying. He replied that it wasn't a knife but a Leatherman. I was like, what's a Leatherman ? Well he pulled it out and showed me what it was and I thought now that is a handy tool right there. I thought I've got to get myself one of these.

It was of course a LM PST so I went looking for one after work and found one in our small town General store F.M. Light and Sons. I carried that PST every day for work until I decided I needed to get a updated version. In researching the Leatherman Rebar I found this place. I'm so glad I did because this place is awesome and I have made some great new friends here  :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 09:47:34 PM
this is a very generous GAW. welcome to NLC
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 10:19:02 PM
This is an awesome thread Huntsman :cheers: Neat hearing a lot of these stories from our members :tu:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 10:53:42 PM
Thanks for the awesome gaw, very generous of you, I'm in.  I'd prefer the leatherman to the vic as I have a pioneer on the way from a deal with a member.
I found MTO while searching for ideas for a pocket clip for a Juice xe6. It's been a great source of information and fun. I've had some awesome deals with other members, one being for the wave in my story. Though I was annoyed at the time, reading back it makes me laugh. This happened very recently and I posted this in a thread titled ' thanks mum'. My funny story ...

While helping my 63 yr old mum recently I presented her with her own Leatherman Wave, as she has always liked my surge when helping her out around the garden, etc. I didn't think she needed a tool as big as the surge so gave her one of my waves.  I did what any good multi owner would do before giving it to someone else, I cleaned & lubed it and made sure the blades were nice and sharp.

Sooo while helping her she needed to cut some poly/nylon string to tie some plants back, which she asked me to hold amongst other things.  The conversation went something like this...  :facepalm:

Me: careful with that knife mum, it's razor sharp
Mum: Ok I will be.
Mum: Kev, can you hold this while I cut it please.
Me: Sure, but watch what you are doing, if you slip you'll have my finger off.
Mum: I'm not that stupid, I know what I'm doing, etc, etc, nag, nag, nag.....
Me: Mum, the blade if really sharp, you don't need to press that hard on it...

Slip

Me: FFS Mother! now look what you've done.
Mum: Oops sorry, you're right that is sharp, you're bleeding.
Me: smurf smurf, smurf (you get the idea).

Ok thats just a glancing cut, not to bad, so I sort it...

Mum: Can you hold this again.
Me: no you'll just cut me again.
Mum: no I won't I know what I did wrong it's ok.
Me: ok be careful

Slip

Me: FFS Mother! you've done it again, rant, smurf etc
Me: do it yourself
Mum: laughing her ass off  >:(

The moral of the story, don't trust my mum with a sharp blade when you're holding something for her.  Luckily only shallow galncing cuts, but they bled like a bugger and they are both sore today. Bloody gardening, you can keep it  :rant:

It would have made a good comedy sketch  :rofl:

This was a weekend or two ago, and the 2 cuts are now just a slight mark on the skin.

Enjoy the giggle  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:55:06 PM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: July 11, 2016, 11:07:11 PM
I still get a laugh out of this story mate :rofl: I even told the wife and she laughed pretty good as well :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: July 11, 2016, 11:19:51 PM
I still get a laugh out of this story mate :rofl: I even told the wife and she laughed pretty good as well :D
Yes, it is awesome :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%