Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Huntsman's NLC GAW - Black Beauties

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Huntsman's NLC GAW - Black Beauties
Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 11:22:14 PM
I still get a laugh out of this story mate :rofl: I even told the wife and she laughed pretty good as well :D
Yes, it is awesome :D
Hall of fame story.  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: July 11, 2016, 11:24:21 PM
Every time I'm around and she gets her wave out I get the blade waggled at me with a 'woo watch out' , every single time.

I've got a hand made  sheath on the way for it from Gohard for her, she's going to love it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 03:24:00 AM
Some great stories there indeed!

Congratulations on reaching the No Life Club man- I hope it is every bit as glamorous as it seems!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 04:07:27 AM
Thank you for the terrific opportunity to win one of these fabulous devices!

I would prefer the PST...

I started back in the early 90s with the PST. But not the BO version.  I worked at a factory as a TIG welder and needed the tool for my work.

I soon got tired of fishing it out of my pocket and I didn't wear belts back then.  So I decided I needed a pocket clip. Nothing was available back then so I took a stainless clip from an old knife and TIG welded it on. That was just awesome!  I carried that PST everywhere I went.  Right up until I bought a Gen 1 Wave.

I have carried that Wave for many years. Even though I have picked up several more Leatherman MTs and knives, the PST and Gen 1 Wave are still my favorite!

I wear belts now, so riding in a sheath is fine nowadays!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 04:48:04 AM
I love it when someone that has made fun of me carrying around "all those knives and junk and smurf" comes to me, with eyes on the ground, blushing and asking in a whisper: "Huh... Can you help me?..."

Does that happen often?

We must work with a different class of people (yours sound like something out of a Mills and Boon book  ;) )

My "mates" say something more like "Oi Monster, Give us a fracking knife*, you bloody peasant"

(to which I'll generally reply "no wuckers, catch, the blades' open" )

*Lighter, scissors, fineliner, codes to the football, piece of string, satchet of sugar, location of Genghis Khan's tomb, black nasty, etc etc

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:50:45 AM by Sea Monster »

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 07:25:49 AM
Congrats on 1k!  And thanks for this awesome GAW!  :salute:  I would pick the PST if I happen to be the lucky one.

I started really paying attention to MTs about 5 years. After a handful of reviews, I bought a LM Wave.  Fantastic tool, did everything I needed it to.  It was just a big large to pocket carry all day, everyday (that's me, I know others would be just fine with it).

Anyway, I found a few EDC sites/fora talking about SAKs.  I'd had a couple for camping as a kid, but hadn't thought about carrying one.   Of course, I couldn't find the "perfect" one, tried modding them, which led me to this place :)

Fast forward, a whole lot of tools have come and gone, and I've learned a few things.  The Wave is still my favorite all-around MT, but it's still too big for me to pocket carry everyday.  PST, PST II, and Crunch land on my favorites list as well.  But for pocket carry, 2-3 layer SAKs are the usual choice; lately, a Pioneer X.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 12:13:23 PM
I love it when someone that has made fun of me carrying around "all those knives and junk and smurf" comes to me, with eyes on the ground, blushing and asking in a whisper: "Huh... Can you help me?..."

Does that happen often?

We must work with a different class of people (yours sound like something out of a Mills and Boon book  ;) )

My "mates" say something more like "Oi Monster, Give us a fracking knife*, you bloody peasant"

(to which I'll generally reply "no wuckers, catch, the blades' open" )

*Lighter, scissors, fineliner, codes to the football, piece of string, satchet of sugar, location of Genghis Khan's tomb, black nasty, etc etc

Yup, a lot. Even more now that everyone knows they can count on me. Working in an office, city environment. Not many tools needed/used. Still, once in a while, something breaks or jams or is in a dark corner. That's when they turn to me for help, instead of making fun.

There's a popular game among my friends. It's called "how many knives is he carrying today?"...
 :facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 07:31:18 PM
 Thanks for the awesome gaw. I'd go the b.o. PST route.

Here is my story:

A few months back Mrs. TJ got some synthetic flowers that she was going to make into a bouquet for someone. I had just gotten my LM Crunch and when she learned about it I got the  :pok: treatment and 'why do you need another one of these' looks from her when she saw it. She was in the midst of trying to cut the flowers with her usual kitchen scissors and they weren't working at all. She gave me the 'okay hand over the Crunch so I can use it'  :multi: look. I assembled it for her and she used the cutters on it to cut the flowers in half. I haven't heard anything else since about the Crunch  :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #38 on: July 12, 2016, 11:53:29 PM
Thank you sir for this wonderful GAW, I am IN!

Here is my story:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67308.msg1302249.html#msg1302249
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!
Huntsman's NLC GAW - Black Beauties
Reply #39 on: July 13, 2016, 05:32:03 AM
Thanks Huntsman. Awesome GAW. You're a legend
I'm in.
BO PST is not part of my collection or as the wife calls it " Bloody waste of money". You could have bought me my dishwasher ages ago!!!!!!! But no....., you have to have this and one of them and that little things that goes in there and..........bla bla bla bla. Why I don't know.

But she wasn't there when my Mom packed my bag in 1983 on my first scouts outing. All alone in the big world all by myself.

And guess what's in there?????
My first multi tools.
And I still got them.
IMG_2770.JPG
* IMG_2770.JPG (Filesize: 160.65 KB)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 07:52:23 AM by Gohard »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 12:33:06 AM
It would mean a lot to me if I won this GAW, I never had or handled a PST.  ;)

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 12:45:33 AM

If I win, it can be shipped to you,  you can handle it, and send it on my way  :rofl:

good luck to everyone
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #42 on: July 14, 2016, 01:07:53 AM
That works for me.  :tu:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #43 on: July 14, 2016, 01:21:10 AM
That works for me.  :tu:

and you could take your time with it. 

I have a SS PST,  but a BO PST  those are awesome!  I had one briefly, but had to sell due to sudden expenses.
If I can help, let me know 

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #44 on: July 14, 2016, 02:43:00 AM

If I win, it can be shipped to you,  you can handle it, and send it on my way  :rofl:

good luck to everyone

Well, I think you still can hope to win...

Show content
I haven't seen an entry from kaput yet...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: July 14, 2016, 03:27:30 AM
I'm definitely in on this one!  And thanks Huntsman for this GAW!   :tu:

In terms of preference, it would be the LM over the Pioneer, but in reality, either works for me.

As for stories, I couldn't begin to remember the funniest or most meaningful regarding my life of MTs and/or SAKs.  I've carried SAKs and Bucks since I was a teenager.  I still have my first Wenger SAK, which I fried the tip of the blade off while working on my VW bus back in the early/mid-70's (http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,50642.msg1135346.html#msg1135346).

I still also have my second SAK Champion (mid-70's; http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,60688.msg1120796.html#msg1120796), which is now retired and kept in a safe place.

:cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: July 14, 2016, 03:39:51 AM

good luck to everyone

Well, I think you still can hope to win...

Show content
I haven't seen an entry from kaput yet...

:whistle:

::)

:D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #47 on: July 14, 2016, 06:23:25 AM
Congrats on NLC. I'll get there eventually.
Thanks for the GAW. :tu:
I'd love a BO PST, I've never seen one on ebay.

Storytime.  :cheers:

It all started a couple of years ago for me.
There was a time I had a Huntsman my dad had given me, nothing else. Unless you count nail clippers with those terrible, you're-wasting-your-time-sharpening-me blades.
Anyway, my brother showed up one day, with a SAK knock-off. He was excited, ever since I handed a friend my Huntsman to open a bottle of wine at his daughter's birthday (in retrospect, it's the only time I've ever used a corkscrew for wine, though I do occasionally untie knots with them).

Anyway, I decided to give it to him, and have a look at Amazon for a replacement. I came across many interesting models of SAKs, as well as some ingenious designs, with a pair of pliers that folded into the handles. I managed to track my model, I had no idea it was called a Huntsman. I was intrigued, but thought I'd start slow. My budget wsa limited, and I wanted to buy something small and amazing.

I ordered a Micra, to see for myself what a Leatherman is,  and a SwissChamp, which was the best price to tools ratio. It even had pliers!
Upon receiving them, I liked them bot very much. The Micra is still on my keys to this day. The SC's pliers were small, so I thought I'd get a larger LM, being satisfied with the build quality of the Micra.

I got two Wingmen, and had them replaced, because I was not impressed with the quality. They rattled a lot. The pliers were misaligned, the scissors were impossible to extract. I ordered a Rebar, after countless hours on youtube, checking reviews. I also started thinking of getting a smaller SAK, like a Huntsman, so I looked around, and ordered a Fieldmaster, since I was (and still am) unable to get a Master Craftsman.
I loved the Rebar, loved the Fieldmaster, and my hand was itching for more.

Looked around for a classic, proper LM, and scored a Charge AL on ebay. I started watching more reviews, and found MTO. On the way, I discovered many interesting people and indeed, brands and items, like Wenger SAKs, the beauty of alox, 58mm SAKs, modding, customizing, playing around with implements, loki's indispensable wrenches, LM discontinued models, torches, OPTs, and so much more.

I've cut down on my orders, since I had two Gerber MPs lost/stolen/who knows, but I'm still looking for more, particularly Leatherman old models. I got a PST and Sideclip, and a P4 recently, and I'm still checking ebay for a Mini and a Pulse.

That's how I got into multi-tools and Swiss Army Knives.
I look at my wooden box, with my modest, yet beloved collection, and think back, when I had nothing, watching beautiful pictures on the web, with all sorts of models I'd never imagine I would ever hold. I won't buy too much stuff, but instead hunt down the few models I absolutely want.

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: July 15, 2016, 04:15:52 AM
Thanks for GAW & Congrats on NLC  :cheers:
"I AM IN"  :D :tu: ( Please & Thanks)
Would love either, as i have neither  :D But that BO leatherman is flat azz cool! 8)

I also am a fan of the PST (sadly not one in my collection currently) , Wore one in the early years , for several years , on my belt daily , when i drove a Fuel Tanker for Chevron.It was a constant companion!!! One day some POS scumbag broke into my 4x4 Nissan/Datsun truck, and stole my beloved 1st ever multi-tool.  :facepalm:
 "THE" PST of PST's............awwww the memories we made.......the times we had!!! :cry:
lololol , I hope someone stole it from him!  :whistle: :rofl:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #49 on: July 15, 2016, 08:48:10 AM
Congrats on the thousand posts. Greta give away. I'm in too.  Prefer the SAK.

Been carrying a multitool for years. My first was a Gerber multi-plier (Mr. Pinchy).  I have done historical reenactments for longer than I've carried a MT but I now have one stashed in my reenactment gear just in case, and it's usually that 20 some odd year old Mr. Pinchy. Well, a couple of years ago before the gate opened one of the guys on the support crew was called to fix something and he needed a pliers. It would have taken several minutes for him to go back and get pliers or have someone bring him a set and he would have had to work in view of the public. That would have spoiled the affect to have people walking in to a 15th century village and see a guy on a golf cart puttering around just inside the gate, so I handed him the Gerber and he did what he needed to do and got out of the way before anyone could see him.  Now they all ask me for everything from bandaids and string to shoe glue, because they know I'm going to have it.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #50 on: July 15, 2016, 10:09:31 AM
No like buttons?  :(
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:17:41 AM by ReamerPunch »

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #51 on: July 18, 2016, 04:54:10 PM
What a great GAW, thanks Huntsman for this.

I´m in for the PST.

My favorite MT/SAK is the Wenger Renger 79.  This SAK has the correct size for me, it has a liner lock so it's really safe to use, the saw is really powerful, now the Vic version has the toothpick and the tweezers and it's perfect.  Last weekend I carry one for a camping trip and it was really helpful mainly the saw.

[

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #52 on: July 18, 2016, 05:52:29 PM
Very generous GAW Huntsman. I suppose if I won, id go for the pioneer, as I might actually use it...

As for my story, I guess ill go with my favorite mod, the Hungry Ranger:

I had struggled for a while to find my perfect companion SAK to my Multi's, and had "settled" on a Climber, as it was what I had. I planned on getting a Ranger, but after getting a CyberTool34, I realized I hated carrying my SAKs with the springs against my leg, as they were too "tall" to carry on a pocket dangler. So, I needed something  that was no larger than a Climber, and had both a nail file and an inline awl. So I settled on this, and have loved it ever since!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #53 on: July 18, 2016, 06:27:45 PM
Great name for a great SAK SlaughterMed  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: July 18, 2016, 08:34:22 PM

I do like it as well :tu:

Do you have a link to where I can find out more about it :think: If not what all does it have in it  :think:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #55 on: July 18, 2016, 10:44:00 PM

Do you have a link to where I can find out more about it :think: If not what all does it have in it  :think:
Sure thing! here's my build page in the mod squad: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65166.msg1240105.html#msg1240105

As for whats on it, what you see in the picture is it. Just 3 layers: file, saw, corkscrew, inline awl, and a main blade.

Oh, and thanks Mags :tu:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:45:15 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: July 19, 2016, 12:18:08 PM

Sure thing! here's my build page in the mod squad: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65166.msg1240105.html#msg1240105

As for whats on it, what you see in the picture is it. Just 3 layers: file, saw, corkscrew, inline awl, and a main blade.

Oh, and thanks Mags :tu:

Thank  you Sir :salute: I will give it a read :cheers: Sounds like a very good SAK :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: July 19, 2016, 01:50:44 PM
Congrats on the thousand posts and thank you for hosting another fine giveaway.   :cheers:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #58 on: July 23, 2016, 01:31:19 PM
Congrats on entering the NLC mate  :cheers:.

And thank you for this awesome giveaway, very generous of you sir  :hatsoff:.

So please count me in, I really love that BO PST (that black Pioneer is also very, very nice, but the BO PST is more of a classic in my humble opinion  ;)).

Now, a story ...

I've already told this story in another thread, so maybe you've already heared it.  Last year my family and I went on vacation to Switzerland, and as you might have guessed, a trip to Ibach was on top of the "to do" list.  So we went to the Victorinox Visitors center and brand store in Brunnen, and also to the factory (and the factory store) in Ibach.  It was there that I had a nice conversation with one of the nice ladies behind the counter.  When I asked if they had a BO swisstool, this next conversation followed.  I've quoted the conversation from my original topic  ;).

nice lady:  Can I help you ?
TG24: I wondered if you had a Black Swisstool ...
nice lady: Euh ... yes we do but ... you don't want that ...
TG24: Euh ... yes I do ...
nice lady: The black Swisstool in not for civilian use, it is used only by the military ...
TG24: But I would like one, since I'm kind of a collector ...
nice lady:  But it's all greasy and dirty ...
TG24: I know, I already own a black Spirit, and it was also greasy and dirty when I bought it.  And I already own a regular stainless Swisstool see ... (shows Swisstool in sheath on belt).
nice lady: Okay then, opens a drawer under the counter and gives me a box with a black Swisstool.

Even though I have a couple of BO tools, and have seen quite some dirty ones when they came out of the box (the BO Spirit was the worst I'd seen), I've never seen anything as bad as this.  This tool was a mess !!! Brown, rust color grease coming out of the plier pivot, on the plier jaws, on the tools ... :ahhh

I've tried to rub it clean with an old towel, I've used Q-tips, paper tissues, another towel ... and there's still brown stuff coming out of the plier pivot.  I know I'll get it cleaned up, and I know this is going to be a real nice looking tool after it has seen some use, but it's going to take time ...  ;)

After that I also bought three Silvertech Swisschamps, two 100th Anniversary Edition Spartans, one 100th Anniversary Edition Swisschamp and some small things like Vic lanyards, a sharpener, ...  Turned out I bought "enough" to get the 20% discount instead of the normal 10% you get at the factory store (I spend quite a bit of money on that trip to Switzerland, but since I knew this was going to happen I had put a stop on all my multitool spendings from januari that year, so I had a bit of extra to spend during my vacation  :D).  So, after we payed for all this, the lady at the counter showed us three Victorinox 4GB USB Flash Drive alox models and asked my boys which one the liked most, there was a green one, and orange one and a pink one.  My boys quickly decided that the pink one was not for them, but they couldn't agree on the others, my oldest son wanted the orange one, while my youngest son wanted the green one.  They nice lady noticed that my boys couldn't decide, so she handed us the orange one, and the green one as well  :2tu:.

If you ever get the chance to go to Ibach, take it, it's really worth it  ;).

And here's a pic if "yours truly" in front of the Ibach factory:

Hope you guys enjoyed it  ;).

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #59 on: July 23, 2016, 03:29:45 PM
Thank you for providing two great GAW items that are part of your life.

I am in, and would CHERISH     the BO PST.

My first Multitool was an award received from first career employer for achieving a set Supply Sales objective in addition to my service responsibilities.  This made by Barlow and was received with my name engraved on the back side. 

I carried and used this tool for over 20 years until my kids gave me a SAK Classic.  Then replaced by a VAGABOND I found at a knife shop.

I am afflicted with a condition which causes me to search for the perfect pocket MT, and I am certain the BO PST just may lead to my being cured

Again, thank you for your very generous gifts you are offering to us humble members of this site. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%