Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Huntsman's NLC GAW - Black Beauties

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Huntsman's NLC GAW - Black Beauties
Reply #60 on: July 24, 2016, 08:46:20 AM
  I'm in, for the of the BO PST.

Currently EDC a modified Leatherman Charge TTi with the Rebar pliers and the awl. have always been an awl fan, and have more than one reason for wanting an awl. Along with the EDC pouch is a Charge Saw blade, a Leatherman Serac S2, an Exotac nanoStriker, and squeezed in a PocketToolX Piranha.
  Work EDC unfortunately the PocketToolX Piranha - and what else I dare to carry. Want to bring the PST with me but I'd require an all black one, and I've been looking for one over the years. ;)

Way back in the mid 90's the parents ordered a Marlboro catalog. They smoked, I didn't. Saw a Marlboro branded PST, and I asked to get it. That arrived and I found all sort of uses for it. I'd often have to wade the river to fix the screens of the river pump inlet hose and could have the thing tore down, cleaned out, and put back together before my father could come back with his tools. Then he'd get mad about that Mickey Mouse Thing I had and drop the tools - told me to put them away.
  Ended up repairing all sort of stuff and it got me to tinkering more and more. Carried it all over the place. When I got into computers I always had a tool for the job at hand.

At one point I had to send the Leatherman Tool in for repair, and saw a Leatherman Super Tool in the Stinker Station. Did some computer work, got a 50% discount, and had a new tool! When the PST came back my mother took it after it and she carried it for a long time. (Still have it to this day.)

Got into leather crafting and got a triangular needle, some call it a Cadaver needle. Used the Super Tool and the needle for sewing heavy leather, and the awl really came in handy.

Later on a I joined up with the Salmon River Rural Fire Department as a volunteer firefighter, which progressed into becoming an official wildland firefighter. Did a few small jobs with the SRRFD per request, often driving a deuce and a half tanker. Later landed a job with Ash Kickers, Inc where Dave Pitts was owner. he asked me on board; Dave, his father-in-law Shannon, and I went on some fires.

First fire was in Provo, Utah. Weird forests they had, and the duff was deep. We did mostly cold trailing at the end of fires or in containment. One spot we hit some horrible duff, and we had to dig down to find hot spots. Well.... I found one! :ahhh A BIG one! I came out flying with my foots on fire, yelling, "Aye chihuahua!!!" and the Hispanic hand crew were laughing.
  Poured the water canteen over my boots and steam came off them, and I got my boots off. Well... the hand crew and the engine got that put out while I discovered a hole in my boot. The lasting on the inside of my right boot had a 2 inch gap and the thread was gone - burnt up! Did what I could with a handkerchief n my boot till lunch.

Grabbed my pack where I kept the Super Tool and needle kit, along with some braided government waxed twine. Sewed the lasting back through the leather and into the rubber sole of the boot by using the Super Tool's awl to pre-make the holes. Then slid the triangular needle in the holes, pushing with the pliers, then pulling out the other side with pliers. Did that over the course of 20 minutes and had my boots back in order. Saved my job too - as a firefighter without boots was one going home. Those boots held up for 3 years without ever giving out. Without that awl I'd of been sent home instead of fighting fires.

Have been hooked on multitools since, and each tool has a purpose. Have given a few stainless steel PSTs away to younger working adults who never seen such a thing, and even to a few friends. When mom passed away I found the original (replaced/repaired) PST and it sits here with the few other tools I have available.

Oh, and I did get the Crunch when they first hit the market. Gotta have a Crunch with a Charge/Wave/PST. :D

The Charge TTi is my favorite as the old original scales gave a grippy surface when hands are wet or greasy, don't get hot when laying out in the summer sun either. Was an investment when Leatherman had a sale, got a good deal on it. Was glad to get rid of the cap crimper on the pliers.

Only after being here at MTO did I get my first SAK, a Climber. :D I carry it as often as I can, though I do wished it wasn't as wide at times.
ChickMagnet.jpg
* ChickMagnet.jpg (Filesize: 80.5 KB)
Last Day.jpg
* Last Day.jpg (Filesize: 78.46 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Huntsman's NLC GAW - Black Beauties
Reply #61 on: July 24, 2016, 04:11:39 PM
Im in! I would prefer the PST, but love the vic as well.

My first ever pocket knife was given to me by my greatgrandmother when I was very young. As you can see, it is a chineese vic knockoff.

You can also probably tell that i used the mess out of that thing for doing anything i could get my hands on. Next came some old knives from my grandpa and other family members

I just recently did some restoring work on those, and there were a lot more.

My first plier based mt came in a set that my dad bought me, i wore out the whole set (knife, micra type mt, and this) and passed the other two tools down to my brother, but you can see i used the pliers until they broke.

After that i got more into knives, fixed blades and flippers and bought some and had some passed down to me. I probably have about 40 knives like that, and alot of them are nice knives like ESEE and Becker.

That is definitely not my whole collection of them, but it is some.

I always thought that all plier based MTs were going to be just as breakable as the one that I had, so i did not have any intrest in them until I started dating my current girlfriend. Her dad had a leatherman wingman (i just bought him a wave for fathers day) and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world, especially the outside opening tools. So I dove in headfirst and bought a charge tti, then 3 vics. I now have a small collection that I have built up over the past couple of years.

LM:
Charge Tti
BO ST300
OHT
Wave

Vic:
Swisschamp
Silvertech spartan
S18
Mechanic
Pioneer X
Cadet
Waiter with nu way on it

I also have 3 or 4 wenger knives that I have not identified yet.

That one is missing a few recent additions

Hope yall enjoyed my story! I probably left a good bit out that I will remember later and kick myself for!

Thanks so much for the GAW!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:15:01 PM by gdoolittle »

Reply #62 on: July 26, 2016, 08:20:00 PM
  I'm in, for the (Image removed from quote.) of the BO PST.

Currently EDC a modified Leatherman Charge TTi with the Rebar pliers and the awl. have always been an awl fan, and have more than one reason for wanting an awl. Along with the EDC pouch is a Charge Saw blade, a Leatherman Serac S2, an Exotac nanoStriker, and squeezed in a PocketToolX Piranha.
  Work EDC unfortunately the PocketToolX Piranha - and what else I dare to carry. Want to bring the PST with me but I'd require an all black one, and I've been looking for one over the years. ;)

Way back in the mid 90's the parents ordered a Marlboro catalog. They smoked, I didn't. Saw a Marlboro branded PST, and I asked to get it. That arrived and I found all sort of uses for it. I'd often have to wade the river to fix the screens of the river pump inlet hose and could have the thing tore down, cleaned out, and put back together before my father could come back with his tools. Then he'd get mad about that Mickey Mouse Thing I had and drop the tools - told me to put them away.
  Ended up repairing all sort of stuff and it got me to tinkering more and more. Carried it all over the place. When I got into computers I always had a tool for the job at hand.

At one point I had to send the Leatherman Tool in for repair, and saw a Leatherman Super Tool in the Stinker Station. Did some computer work, got a 50% discount, and had a new tool! When the PST came back my mother took it after it and she carried it for a long time. (Still have it to this day.)

Got into leather crafting and got a triangular needle, some call it a Cadaver needle. Used the Super Tool and the needle for sewing heavy leather, and the awl really came in handy.

Later on a I joined up with the Salmon River Rural Fire Department as a volunteer firefighter, which progressed into becoming an official wildland firefighter. Did a few small jobs with the SRRFD per request, often driving a deuce and a half tanker. Later landed a job with Ash Kickers, Inc where Dave Pitts was owner. he asked me on board; Dave, his father-in-law Shannon, and I went on some fires.

First fire was in Provo, Utah. Weird forests they had, and the duff was deep. We did mostly cold trailing at the end of fires or in containment. One spot we hit some horrible duff, and we had to dig down to find hot spots. Well.... I found one! :ahhh A BIG one! I came out flying with my foots on fire, yelling, "Aye chihuahua!!!" and the Hispanic hand crew were laughing.
  Poured the water canteen over my boots and steam came off them, and I got my boots off. Well... the hand crew and the engine got that put out while I discovered a hole in my boot. The lasting on the inside of my right boot had a 2 inch gap and the thread was gone - burnt up! Did what I could with a handkerchief n my boot till lunch.

Grabbed my pack where I kept the Super Tool and needle kit, along with some braided government waxed twine. Sewed the lasting back through the leather and into the rubber sole of the boot by using the Super Tool's awl to pre-make the holes. Then slid the triangular needle in the holes, pushing with the pliers, then pulling out the other side with pliers. Did that over the course of 20 minutes and had my boots back in order. Saved my job too - as a firefighter without boots was one going home. Those boots held up for 3 years without ever giving out. Without that awl I'd of been sent home instead of fighting fires.

Have been hooked on multitools since, and each tool has a purpose. Have given a few stainless steel PSTs away to younger working adults who never seen such a thing, and even to a few friends. When mom passed away I found the original (replaced/repaired) PST and it sits here with the few other tools I have available.

Oh, and I did get the Crunch when they first hit the market. Gotta have a Crunch with a Charge/Wave/PST. :D

The Charge TTi is my favorite as the old original scales gave a grippy surface when hands are wet or greasy, don't get hot when laying out in the summer sun either. Was an investment when Leatherman had a sale, got a good deal on it. Was glad to get rid of the cap crimper on the pliers.

Only after being here at MTO did I get my first SAK, a Climber. :D I carry it as often as I can, though I do wished it wasn't as wide at times.

Took a while to find that photo of the needle & braided twine I had... not that it matters.

¬ Outback in Idaho

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: July 26, 2016, 11:34:58 PM
Took a while to find that photo of the needle & braided twine I had... not that it matters.
(Image removed from quote.)

Like.   :tu:   :tu:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #64 on: July 27, 2016, 10:20:20 AM
Hi Guys,

My first post in this thread was my effusive, gushy, 'MTo is wonderful' post
This is the alternate one.....
  • MTo/MTs take all your time
  • MTo/MTs  takes all your money
  • MTo/MTs are completely addictive and you need to get help to beat the affliction
:o  :D

Thank you so much everyone for all your entries, and for taking the time to tell us all your stories and post your piccies - I loved 'em all  :tu:
I hope y'all enjoyed reading them as much as I did.

Well I was going to wrap this up last weekend - But we had a few late entries
So this will now close at midnight MTo server time on Friday 29th.

I would like to mention a few favourites !!  :)
  • I am quite a sentimentalist, and am always interested in stories about how people got into MTs eg when they were kids - especially if it involved a gift from a loved one or a family heirloom
  • Likewise - How you first found MTo
  • Quite a few of you talked about those two topics - Poncho's post re his Grandad's PST, and gdootliite posts (with all the piccies) particulary spring to mind!
  • Kevin's Mum sounds like a right hoot and totally unrepentent regarding maiming her son - I still have this image of a manic Mum waving her Wave at him in my head.
  • Mags not realising his SAK had an awl was a right hoot - I have done something similar - It's also amazing how many ebay sellers do not spot the saw - I think they think it's a fat liner!!
  • And I loved the story of our Medieval Knight (Alan K) all dressed up in his armour and ancient sword/shield etc - But with a 20th century multitool hidden under his tunic!!
  • And of course a few saved the day stories including from our fire fighting super hero 'Outback in Idaho'
  • All Brilliant - Thanks
Sorry if I did not specifically mention your story - They were all great - And also big thanks to Aloha and SteveC who posted stories, even tho' they are not in the GAW
However as expected I could not choose a winner -   :( So there will be two draws based on your tool preference.
Please check the list below and let me know if anything is not correct.

Anyway thanks again everyone, for taking part
- Winners will be announced sometime over the weekend.

Oh and I am introducing one condition for the winners on accepting the prize - You have to let, at least me, but prefereably everybody, know about your plans for your prize 
Eg Into collection as shelf queen, edc, in the garage for job x, sell on ebay (god forbid) etc etc
Demanding aren't I ??  Mwaahh haah haah
PST_Pioneer TeamV1.JPG
* PST_Pioneer TeamV1.JPG (Filesize: 45.56 KB)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:35:40 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: July 27, 2016, 10:41:53 PM
Thanks once again for the chance Huntsman :cheers: You have me down for the PST and that is correct :salute: The Pioneer would be fine as well though ;) I plan on either making it a shelf queen or when I get it I may put it to work >:D They are tough tools and can take it but I would still go easy on it :D Again awesome GAW and thanks for the chance :cheers:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #66 on: July 27, 2016, 11:09:10 PM
As Poncho said, thanks again for the opportunity.

For me the PST would become my evening carry when I can't justify carrying my surge. Knife laws over here prevent carrying locking blades, which isn't a problem when I'm working or can say I'm working/on my way to work but hard to justify when I'm walking my dogs, out and about, etc. I use a Juice xe6 for it at the moment but there are times when something a little beefier would be handy, which is what the PST would become.

us Offline zartoon

Reply #67 on: July 28, 2016, 12:12:30 AM
Count me in!
thank you.

-z

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #68 on: July 28, 2016, 01:58:21 AM
Since people like to skip reading the rules, here they are again...

So what do I have to do to win?

Well like the other GAW you have to 'sing for your supper'
Firstly: Note ‘I’m in’ and tell me whether you prefer the Vic or the LM or don’t mind (or preference sequence). No need for a list – I will keep track and summarise at the end to check!!

Secondly: Tell me a short MT story

Thirdly: You do need to have had at least 75 posts
– When I first saw this I did not like it – I thought it was a little unwelcoming, however I do want this to go to MTo contributors, and this is a good way to do that!
If you are a new member and feel you are missing out, don’t worry – there are so many GAWs here, you will soon be in – And I think all anniversary GAWs are unrestricted.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: July 28, 2016, 05:22:16 AM
Thank you again for this awesome GAW!

If I win the PST, my plans for it is to make it my dress Leatherman. I want to get it signed by Mr. Leatherman himself, as i have heard stories of people doing. I dress up a good bit for work, so i will find a carry method suitable and keep the current sheath in its pristine condition. If I win the pioneer, it will most likely be the new companion to my charge TTI. The charge's current companion, the pioneer X, will most likely become permanently part of my dress edc. If i win the pioneer, I may gift my cadet to my dad for his dress knife. He really appreciates compactness in anything he carries in his pocket. I may even give him the pioneer, whichever one that I give him though I will make special by engraving or having engraved his favorite bible verse or a small message into it. He is starting a new business, so I want it to have something encouraging on it. Either way, if i win one of these tools, they will be well taken care of and put to good use!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #70 on: July 28, 2016, 05:37:46 AM
Sorry guys - Stepping in again - More confusion !! Apologies  :o

Telling me/us what you plan to do with the tool is only required for the two winners
It is not a pre-requisite for entering the draw !!!

That would not be fair to change the rules after you have entered!
But thanks to Kevin, Poncho and gdoolittle for letting us know anyway !!  :tu:  :D  :o  Much appreciated.

B100dy h311 - Runninhg these GAWs is harder than you think !!  :o  ;)
And as I mentioned in the last GAW - It's tough as I want everyone to win  :ahhh - But unfortunately I don't have 30 spare tools!!  :(
So there can only be two winners....

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #71 on: July 28, 2016, 06:05:25 AM
Sorry guys - Stepping in again - More confusion !! Apologies  :o

Telling me/us what you plan to do with the tool is only required for the two winners
It is not a pre-requisite for entering the draw !!!

That would not be fair to change the rules after you have entered!
But thanks to Kevin, Poncho and gdoolittle for letting us know anyway !!  :tu:  :D  :o  Much appreciated.

B100dy h311 - Runninhg these GAWs is harder than you think !!  :o  ;)
And as I mentioned in the last GAW - It's tough as I want everyone to win  :ahhh - But unfortunately I don't have 30 spare tools!!  :(
So there can only be two winners....

Well, that's not that bad. In Scotland, there can only be one...

I'll keep my Leatherman as a shelf queen.

Show content
Since I said what I'm doing with the prize and only winners do this, I've won, right?!

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #72 on: July 28, 2016, 01:33:15 PM
Thanks again Huntsman for this GAW. the stories have been most entertaining.  I have to correct you though, you said:

"And I loved the story of our Medieval Knight (Alan K) all dressed up in his armour and ancient sword/shield etc - But with a 20th century multitool hidden under his tunic!!"

It's not Medieval, it's the Renaissance which was a later time, and I don't keep my multitool under my tunic... it's in my codpiece.
As in, "Is that a 1994 Gerber Multi-Plier in your codpiece or are you just happy to see me?"

in this picture I'm the big fellow in the middle.
group-M-2010web.jpg
* group-M-2010web.jpg (Filesize: 90.23 KB)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:38:53 PM by Alan K. »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #73 on: August 01, 2016, 01:17:23 AM
:popcorn:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #74 on: August 01, 2016, 01:19:39 AM
good luck everyone!
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: August 01, 2016, 04:20:57 AM
Good luck everyone!! Anticipation building!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Reply #76 on: August 01, 2016, 05:24:09 AM
  Huntsman probably had to work later and is feel sore and achy like some of the rest of us working types. We'll be patient. :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: August 01, 2016, 05:39:11 AM
  Huntsman probably had to work later and is feel sore and achy like some of the rest of us working types. We'll be patient. :D

Why is working in italics? I may be missing a joke here.

Of course we will be patient  :tu: just excitedly patient! ;)

Reply #78 on: August 01, 2016, 09:17:01 AM

Emphasizing the word. :pok:
 Some might be retired, independently wealthy, or live a care-free life. :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:18:11 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

england Offline Kev D

Reply #79 on: August 01, 2016, 11:35:52 AM
I'm footloose and fancy free, does that count  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: August 01, 2016, 01:36:55 PM
I'm footloose and fancy free, does that count  :D

Counts for me :D

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: August 01, 2016, 03:26:15 PM

Emphasizing the word. :pok:
 Some might be retired, independently wealthy, or live a care-free life. :D

Wish I was that lucky!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #82 on: August 02, 2016, 02:55:19 AM
Hi Team,

Sincere apologies for the delay in announcing the winner.
It was partly due to ‘working’ – I was away in the mountains with the lads over the weekend, and partly due to working – I had a very busy day at work yesterday.
Alan K – Apologies for getting my historical periods mixed up – Loved the pic – And I’d rather not think about the codpiece comment!!  :o
Pfrsantos – Nice try on your ‘Did I win?’ suggestion – But just like Mags attempt to shortcut the process at the beginning of this GAW : ‘No way Jose’ .

Well this GAW business has not been as enjoyable as I expected –  :( Of course it is great to give something back to our community, and the stories have been just great – But selecting a winner has not been a happy experience for me. You are all my friends and I have shared threads, PMs, other GAWs with many of you and it’s hard that there can only be a couple of winners. Although in true MTo fashion – all the losers of a GAW are so gracious to the winner, and I guess we all know the rules!! So thanks again for taking part and sorry you could not all win!!  :salute:

I was a little surprised this GAW was not more popular – Of course the prizes are no Syph customs – But that BO PST is pretty special, given it is over 20 years old and NIB. Anyway fewer entries means fewer losers – so given my comments above that is a good thing!!  ;)

Anyway time to announce the winner  :cheers:
What I did was generate two lists of random numbers, one for each prize, then assigned the numbers to the participants of each GAW. I then used the random number generator to select the two winners and highlighted them in yellow.

You can see the results below.
I was surprised that number 1 came up and thought it was an error - But ran it again and a different number came up - So that's just how randoms work - eh?
Also interestingly the last entrant to the GAW won a prize!! A lot of effort was put into that post - so a worthy winner!

As always - Winners please PM me your address and I will send them out as soon as I can.
PST_Pioneer Winners.JPG
* PST_Pioneer Winners.JPG (Filesize: 57.51 KB)

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: August 02, 2016, 03:02:24 AM
Wow! Thanks so much Huntsman! This is the first time I have ever won a drawing on MTO! The people here are so amazingly generous, I am happy to be a part of this place! Thank you so much for this gaw! I will pm you my address shortly

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #84 on: August 02, 2016, 03:12:46 AM
I think I should have been #4. :pok:

:rofl:  Just kidding!! :D

I thought this was a hell of a cool GAW, so thank you master H for putting it on!!  :salute:

Congrats to the winners!!  :cheers:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: August 02, 2016, 03:13:19 AM
I will be sure to post pics when it gets here, and see my post on this thread from last week (when I misunderstood and posted them early) for my intentions with it. Thank you again so much! Im really suprised that I actually won part of this GAW! Congrats to Gohard for his winning as well! Enjoy it!

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: August 02, 2016, 03:15:34 AM
This was a very creative and motivating GAW. Shame I noticed it too late...
Congrats to the winners and kudos to Huntsman  :cheers:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: August 02, 2016, 03:16:58 AM
I think I should have been #4. :pok:

:rofl:  Just kidding!! :D

I thought this was a hell of a cool GAW, so thank you master H for putting it on!!  :salute:

Congrats to the winners!!  :cheers:
I agree that this was one of the coolest GAWs over this past month, maybe people just haven't been checking the events forum

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #88 on: August 02, 2016, 04:15:53 AM
Congratulations to the two luck members.
A awesome GAW and so glad to have been part of it!

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: August 02, 2016, 04:36:44 AM
Congrats all!  Thanks again Huntsman for this very cool GAW :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86